• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah, a return to dat Vita stability.

How expected and reassuring.
I just have to ask, now you've been posting stuff like "dat Vita stability", "2nd place system is the 1st loser", "back to where it belongs" for about 3-4 months straight. What is the point with this subtle trolling? It is not discussing the Vita sales, it is just one liners. I could understand it being said for a short while, but why 3-4 months in a row and still going, why?

It reminds me a lot of the "Nintendo is doomed" posts that someone kept saying early in the 3DS cycle, but now the Vita is in its 10th month and you still keep saying similar stuff. I'm not trying to sound rude, i'm just wondering why you keep saying these subtle trolling one liners for so long.

It's just a bit of fun to see history and reality stomp on baseless hope. It's also a bit of turnabout for the "Nintendo is doomed" stuff you reference.

But in all seriousness, if you or anyone like the system and the games, that's all that really matters.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's just a bit of fun to see history and reality stomp on baseless hope. It's also a bit of turnabout for the "Nintendo is doomed" stuff you reference.

But in all seriousness, if you or anyone like the system and the games, that's all that really matters.
I see what you mean and i agree to some extend, but for 3-4 months straight? I just think it gets a bit tiresome to see it going on for so long. I felt exactly the same with the "Nintendo is doomed!" stuff. Dont you agree that this got tiresome after a while?

By who?certainly not by SE.
By the consumers. The other game sells a lot more copies.

But they are. That's why they were given the title of FF XI and FF XIV...
That is exactly why it was said "in name" :) The point was just that people look at these games differently even if the games got mainline names. It isnt necessarily anything negative.

I see what you mean and i agree to some extend, but for 3-4 months straight? I just think it gets a bit tiresome to see it going on for so long. I felt exactly the same with the "Nintendo is doomed!" stuff. Dont you agree that this got tiresome after a while?

There is still hope to be crushed, but I can understand your position.

test_account

XP-39C²
There is still hope to be crushed, but I can understand your position.
Is it necessary to crush hope though? I see no problem of being optimistic, because who knows what will happen in the future. It is no secret that the Vita is selling pretty bad now, and the outcome might not look too good. But in worse case regarding being optimistic, it simply wont turn out the way like someone had hoped, but there is nothing wrong about that. What i dont like however is if the optimism contains negativity towards another system in the same process. The DS and the PSP both have very good success in Japan and that worked out fine :) So two system can co-excist without greatly affect one another.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Is it necessary to crush hope though? I see no problem of being optimistic, because who knows what will happen in the future. It is no secret that the Vita is selling pretty bad now, and the outcome might not look too good. But in worse case regarding being optimistic, it simply wont turn out the way like someone had hoped, but there is nothing wrong about that. What i dont like however is if the optimism contains negativity towards another system in the same process. The DS and the PSP both have very good success in Japan and that worked out fine :) So two system can co-excist without greatly affect one another.

Being optimistic is fine but I don't see how optimistic you can be for a system which is DOA right known and what are these moves that will turn around the situation.

And in the end I'm not gonna lose my sleep if Vita or Wii U fail. It's funny and entertaining to watch system wars but until there.

Nekki

Not sure what your point is here - i'm aware it's done well for an MMO but for a mainline DQ game it hasn't. as i said, the game is a mainline game, but it's also been hit with the MMO fallout. Game plays out like a regular DQ for a huge chunk of the proceedings.

If this was a full offline DQ game, do you think it would have sold the same numbers as it did?

Maybe i misinterpreted your post, but i also don't understand what point you're trying to get across here either.

And no, DQX hasn't done well for an MMO. It has done well for a mainline Dragon Quest game designed as an MMO, which to me it seems you're trying to say otherwise?

And of course if it hadn't been an MMO i would expect it to sell a lot better.

the game buying public? DQ9 sold over 2 million copies in -two- days. DQX was nowhere near that and i'm pretty sure that's to do with the game being marketted -heavily- as an MMO. (See also : FF11 vs FF10 sales figures). Mainline question aside, in terms of sales the MMO variants don't bring in the raw sales figures (though - especially with FF11 - it brought in more cash than any other FF to date i'd imagine)

And yeah, nobody ever expected those kind of sales figures from DQX. It's been discussed quite a lot in the past. And well, SE look for profitability, not raw sales, so good sales + steady subscriptions is what they are looking for.

500k sales + a good amount of server population goes a good way into telling us it will be one of the highest grossing entries in the franchise.

By the consumers. The other game sells a lot more copies.

That is exactly why it was said "in name" :) The point was just that people look at these games differently even if the games got mainline names. It isnt necessarily anything negative.

Kinda clarifies things a bit more. Yes probably consumers see the game and say "that is not the DQ i want to play!!" maybe word-of-mouth will change that, but this game will never reach the heights of previous games in raw sales numbers.

Regardless, it is a mainline game, and it is selling well.. or making money rather. Of course things could change for the worse in the future, but i'm going to keep positive on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Being optimistic is fine but I don't see how optimistic you can be for a system which is DOA right known and what are these moves that will turn around the situation.

And in the end I'm not gonna lose my sleep if Vita or Wii U fail. It's funny and entertaining to watch system wars but until there.
I was mostly thinking in general, not just about Vita. I'm unsure about Vita. I've seen turnaround (for better or worse) for PSP, PS3 and Wii in this generation. I have no idea which direction Vita will take, but i dont think it is necessarily one way. I would at least like to see a pricedrop first. Now there is software too of course, but Iwata said that they did the big 3DS pricedrop because 3rd parties were showing concerns. Dropping the price ment that it was a lot easier/cheaper for the consumers to buy into the hardware, which then leads to more games being bought. I'm not really going my make much of an arguement for or against this right now because i know the outcome can go both ways, but we'll see.

Kinda clarifies things a bit more. Yes probably consumers see the game and say "that is not the DQ i want to play!!" maybe word-of-mouth will change that, but this game will never reach the heights of previous games in raw sales numbers.

Regardless, it is a mainline game, and it is selling well.. or making money rather. Of course things could change for the worse in the future, but i'm going to keep positive on it.
Yeah, the games are quite different from what people are used to, which usually affects the sales quite a bit. But sure, it is a mainline game in that way, otherwise they could just call it something else, like "Dragon Quest Online" or "Final Fantasy Online".

Takao

Banned
...we finally have a date/time for Sony's TGS conference: 1PM JST on Wednesday, or midnight EDT on Tuesday. The absence of a livestream does not inspire optimism, but it should be interesting one way or another.

There is reason to believe that he meant there won't be a live stream run by SCEE, which is pretty normal for TGS IIRC. SCEJ's TGS page has a bunch of Nico Nico logos on the bottom so eh.

Cuddler

They will. It's pretty much confirmed that with new slimmer model they will also make price cut. New Slim model was supposed to be shown in Gamescom but because of high stock levels of current model they postponed it. They will probably unveil it in TGS.
Yeah, I know about that, I'm sure that it will do well at the right price. What I was trying to say is that IMO the majority of people that were interested in the games that the ps3 has to offer already have a ps3 right now, especially in Japan (A low price Ps3 will probably do really well in continental Europe). I don't see many people that only have a Wii buying a ps3 because of the new price instead of the Wii U. This people are probably really interested in NSMB Wii U, Nintendo games in general and in sequels of games that were already on Wii. The same goes for the the people that only have a Ps3, I don't see them buying a Wii U with the announcements done so far.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I was mostly thinking in general, not just about Vita. I'm unsure about Vita. I've seen turnaround (for better or worse) for PSP, PS3 and Wii in this generation. I have no idea which direction Vita will take, but i dont think it is necessarily one way. I would at least like to see a pricedrop first. Now there is software too of course, but Iwata said that they did the big 3DS pricedrop because 3rd parties were showing concerns. Dropping the price ment that it was a lot easier/cheaper for the consumers to buy into the hardware, which then leads to more games being bought. I'm not really going my make much of an arguement for or against this right now because i know the outcome can go both ways, but we'll see.

The discussion for Vita is done so many times it's becoming boring but once again the differences between PS3, PSP and Vita are more than similarities.

PSP turnaround happened only in Japan and not because of some Sony's awesome stradegy. Almost everything Sony tried failed with PSP go the final nail. If you think Wii had a turnaround to worse PSP's turnaround in west was far worse going from a great start to irrelevance in almost 3 years.

PS3/360/Wii current situation was a matter of time to happen when Nintendo abandoned the system and third parties were from day 0 with HD consoles.

Now we have Vita with third parties missing, Sony not being able to support it alone, the magic title missing, Vita coming from PS3/PSP and not PS2, 3DS having taken a big part of PSP audience.

Sure, everything can happen but we won't start pretending it's a 50/50 situation between success and failure. The pricedrop card has been played numerous times in the past for consoles and didn't work. Nothing guarantees it will do miracles now because "it's Sony".

I was mostly thinking in general, not just about Vita. I'm unsure about Vita. I've seen turnaround (for better or worse) for PSP, PS3 and Wii in this generation.

This has been pointed out countless times in many threads but the vita is simply in a far worse position than the PSP and PS3 ever were. There is no comparison to be made at all.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not directly sales related, and it might be old news, but i noticed now that Dokuro demo has been downloaded 100k times:

http://dokuro.gungho.jp/wallpaper_bgm

The discussion for Vita is done so many times it's becoming boring but once again the differences between PS3, PSP and Vita are more than similarities.

PSP turnaround happened only in Japan and not because of some Sony's awesome stradegy. Almost everything Sony tried failed with PSP go the final nail. If you think Wii had a turnaround to worse PSP's turnaround in west was far worse going from a great start to irrelevance in almost 3 years.

PS3/360/Wii current situation was a matter of time to happen when Nintendo abandoned the system and third parties were from day 0 with HD consoles.

Now we have Vita with third parties missing, Sony not being able to support it alone, the magic title missing, Vita coming from PS3/PSP and not PS2, 3DS having taken a big part of PSP audience.

Sure, everything can happen but we won't start pretending it's a 50/50 situation between success and failure. The pricedrop card has been played numerous times in the past for consoles and didn't work. Nothing guarantees it will do miracles now because "it's Sony".
This has been pointed out countless times in many threads but the vita is simply in a far worse position than the PSP and PS3 ever were. There is no comparison to be made at all.
I agree. I didnt try to start a discussion on this again (i'm not trying to sound rude, i appreciate the replies :)), because you say, this discussion has been done many times before.

What i said about unpredictable things happening before, i didnt mean to say that it will happen to Vita as well. And i'm not doing a 50/50 chance prediction. At this point it looks more like 85/15 in my opinion (15 being the positive outcome).

I know that pricedrop could potentially be of very little help, that is why i'm not predicting a guaranteed positive outcome, but i'm curious to see anyway :) I'm thinking of seeing the situation about 6 months after a pricedrop, not just the 2-3 first weeks.

Seeing that unpredictable things have happened before, without comparing them to eachother, this is one reason why i'd like to wait for quite some time to see. I will do the same with WiiU and other upcoming systems as well. I will probably discuss it earlier of course, but i will wait and see for quite some time before i make a solid prediction about the final outcome of those systems.

EDIT: Just to reply to something what Chris1964 said. What i said about the Wii turnaround, this was not ment to be compared to other systems, just that a leading system dropped off faster than what we've used to see. The PSP situation in the west as you mention, this is also a good example where a turnaround has been for the worse, that is true indeed.

Nekki

So there was a trailer released for the new Mystery Dungeon game last friday. Looks quite good! And the models for the pokemon also look good (obviously i'll expect better for a mainline).

These games are decent sellers so it's always good news.

saichi

I agree. I didnt try to start a discussion on this again (i'm not trying to sound rude, i appreciate the replies :)), because you say, this discussion has been done many times before.

What i said about unpredictable things happening before, i didnt mean to say that it will happen to Vita as well. And i'm not doing a 50/50 chance prediction. At this point it looks more like 85/15 in my opinion (15 being the positive outcome).

I know that pricedrop could potentially be of very little help, that is why i'm not predicting a guaranteed positive outcome, but i'm curious to see anyway :) I'm thinking of seeing the situation about 6 months after a pricedrop, not just the 2-3 first weeks.

Seeing that unpredictable things have happened before, without comparing them to eachother, this is one reason why i'd like to wait for quite some time to see. I will do the same with WiiU and other upcoming systems as well. I will probably discuss it earlier of course, but i will wait and see for quite some time before i make a solid prediction about the final outcome of those systems.

What you are saying is basically this in baseball terms.

It's the end of first inning. One team is already down by 10 and looks lifeless. However, you are not ready to write them off yet because anything can happen while others are ready to call it a day. You want to wait until end of eighth and the same team is still down by 10 or more to announce that the game is over.

donny2112

One team is already down by 10

... and its management team isn't even watching the game (Sony), and their star player was traded to the other team before the game (MH), and that team's starting pitcher didn't last the first inning (launch titles didn't carry the system), so they're having to go to their shaky middle relief called up from Double A before the game (unproven IP Soul Sacrifice is their hope for a big hit). But, hey! Anything could happen!

magash

It's the end of first inning. One team is already down by 10 and looks lifeless. However, you are not ready to write them off yet because anything can happen while others are ready to call it a day. You want to wait until end of eighth and the same team is still down by 10 or more to announce that the game is over.

donny2112 said:
... and its management team isn't even watching the game (Sony), and their star player was traded to the other team before the game (MH), and that team's starting pitcher didn't last the first inning (launch titles didn't carry the system), so they're having to go to their shaky middle relief called up from Double A before the game (unproven IP Soul Sacrifice is their hope for a big hit). But, hey! Anything could happen!

LOL...nice analogy

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just have to ask, now you've been posting stuff like "dat Vita stability", "2nd place system is the 1st loser", "back to where it belongs" for about 3-4 months straight. What is the point with this subtle trolling? It is not discussing the Vita sales, it is just one liners. I could understand it being said for a short while, but why 3-4 months in a row and still going, why?

It reminds me a lot of the "Nintendo is doomed" posts that someone kept saying early in the 3DS cycle, but now the Vita is in its 10th month and you still keep saying similar stuff. I'm not trying to sound rude, i'm just wondering why you keep saying these subtle trolling one liners for so long.

Me and you not always agree on MC topics, numbers and results (or "preferences") but I often share your feelings about some typical Gaf behaviours about (against) videogames products :p

BTW, in topic: who thinks that after the MH Tri G HD announcment, we could see (in the future) also MH4 coming to the Wii U with the HD edition?
I was thinking about this because:

1) in this way (maybe with the 4G edition) capcom could cover all the gen without really updating its assets
2) MH3 and MH4 seem to have established a strong relationship between the brand and Nintendo platform
3) with this "cross-play" edition, due to Nintendo will to push the promotion of this brand in the west, Capcom can see the chance to try again with the brand in the west (and after the dèbacle of Dragon's dogma outside Japan, it could be important for them to not drop the MH franchise oversea)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MH4 WiiU HD Edition is a given - even before the MH TRi G HD Edition reveal it was clear to me that MH4 will end up on WiiU too. Iwata secured that shit for good.

test_account

XP-39C²

I dont think this is a correct analogy, because here you're talking about one team winning over another team. For it to be similar, it would mean that Vita would outsell the 3DS. I didnt say anything about this. For this analogy to be more accurate to what i said, it would be that the losing team gains some points after a while in the game, so the loss isnt as big as it first was :) And Donny, i understand why you use a Vita only example, but i want to point out again that what i said wasnt Vita centric, it goes for all upcoming systems.

I dont see why that is a problem with waiting and see. Its not like we have a choice anyway, as time will go by regardless =)

Nekki

BTW, in topic: who thinks that after the MH Tri G HD announcment, we could see (in the future) also MH4 coming to the Wii U with the HD edition?
I was thinking about this because:

I don't think we'll see a MH4HD edition, but we will surely see a simultaneous release of 4G.

Having said that, i think around launch of 3GHD is a good time to make a BEST release of 3G

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't think we'll see a MH4HD edition, but we will surely see a simultaneous release of 4G.

Having said that, i think around launch of 3GHD is a good time to make a BEST release of 3G

hmmm, I thnk you are right about the timings for MH4. Probably they'll (eventually) wait for a simultaneous release of 4G.
About 3F HD, I thknk that they'll release the 3DS version with the "Ultimate" name on the cover. also if this will be the very same game :LOL:

From the looks of it, MH3G HD was part of the MH3G deal.

I'd say the same is true for MH4, Capcom will probably release the HD Ver. by the end of 2013, and the western version will follow soon after.

Can't complain!

MH4 WiiU HD Edition is a given - even before the MH TRi G HD Edition reveal it was clear to me that MH4 will end up on WiiU too. Iwata secured that shit for good.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

I mean, imo Nintendo will prioritize 4 on 3DS in Japan as that's the one version they've been putting their expectations on, so yes, they may eventually release an up-port on Wii U as well, but only if that wasn't to weaken its sales in Japan, that's why MH doesn't go multiplatform in my understanding.

On the other hand, I gather Wii U is most probably going to be a way more viable platform for MH4 in the West than 3DS, so who knows?
Maybe they're releasing 3G in the West on both 3DS and Wii U as a test proof for 4 so as to see how large a MH fanbase is there outside of Japan.

Kouriozan

So the Pikachu 3DS XL was released 15/09, do we expect a big increase in 3DS XL sales numbers?
Surely it'll depend how limited this edition is.

Mr Swine

Banned
So the Pikachu 3DS XL was released 15/09, do we expect a big increase in 3DS XL sales numbers?
Surely it'll depend how limited this edition is.

Don't think it will be more than 20k sold of that (if it's that much), will probably hover around 80k that week

If I'm reading this post correctly...

...we finally have a date/time for Sony's TGS conference: 1PM JST on Wednesday, or midnight EDT on Tuesday. The absence of a livestream does not inspire optimism, but it should be interesting one way or another.

So we're now less than 36 hours from this supposed conference, but there's still, to my knowledge, no confirmation from SCEJ or any other Japanese source. What's going on?

Anth0ny

So we're now less than 36 hours from this supposed conference, but there's still, to my knowledge, no confirmation from SCEJ or any other Japanese source. What's going on?

They're just trying to be like Nintendo. They'll announce it with less than 24 hours remaining.

They're just trying to be like Nintendo. They'll announce it with less than 24 hours remaining.

Only works if it's just a webcast. If it's an actual press conference, as per the SCEE post, those attending would need considerably more advance notice... are they all under NDA?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As good a place as any to discuss Wii U launch stuff- I think NSMB 2 and Nintendoland should behave somewhat similar to Wii Sports and Wii Play, so the big wildcard is Monster Hunter 3G HD.

I know the arguments against it- console, year old port of the 3DS version, etc., but looking at the launch window lineup right now I really think it could surpass 500K easily. Something like Twilight Princess was a launch title in Japan, did 150K first week and surpassed 500K in the end. It just looks to me like Monster Hunter is going to have a lot of room to be the de facto core title for months.

Thoughts?

farnham

Banned
As good a place as any to discuss Wii U launch stuff- I think NSMB 2 and Nintendoland should behave somewhat similar to Wii Sports and Wii Play, so the big wildcard is Monster Hunter 3G HD.

I know the arguments against it- console, year old port of the 3DS version, etc., but looking at the launch window lineup right now I really think it could surpass 500K easily. Something like Twilight Princess was a launch title in Japan, did 150K first week and surpassed 500K in the end. It just looks to me like Monster Hunter is going to have a lot of room to be the de facto core title for months.

Thoughts?
I say MH3GHD will in line with MHP3HD

My question would be DQX Wii U performance. Will it sell similar to DQX or less? Or will it take DQX to the level of other mainline DQ games

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Thoughts?
I can't find a sales comparison between Nintendoland and Wii Play. As it is right now Nintendo hopes the specific game to play the role of Wii Sports and Mario the role of Mario, Monster Hunter could indeed be the parallel of Twilight Princess but more frontloaded.

My question would be DQX Wii U performance. Will it sell similar to DQX or less? Or will it take DQX to the level of other mainline DQ games

Obviously DQ10 on Wii U will sell 3 million.

schuelma

I can't find a sales comparison between Nintendoland and Wii Play. .

Yeah, I guess I was just looking at things very generally- Nintendoland and NSMB U have the best potential to keep in selling and be 2 titles that most customers pick up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version had as additions: 3D, PSP transfer and just Ad Hoc online, right?
Instead, MH3G HD Ver. should have classic online with probably no costs at all, no?

muu

I'd agree w/ 500K or so at best for MH3GHD. MH4 is just too close. DQX I can't see doing numbers over the Wii ver, but it could definitely hit 2~300K or so over time. The thing w/ that game is that so much content is still yet to be implemented -- housing (likely due in the October update),
an entire continent where the 'hero' resides is still inaccessible
, coliseum and a casino. It would be a huge deal to launch the WiiU version w/ the latter two features... and we'll probably get another clueless Nikkei article saying how DQX is poisoning the minds of children with gambling.

Anth0ny

What can we expect for first week Wii U sales?

Wii sold 350,358. 3DS was 374.764.

Wii U has NSMB U, DQX beta and fucking Monster Hunter. They should have thrown in a Pokemon spinoff for good measure
POKEMON SNAP U GOD DAMN IT
. Is a 400k first week out of the question?

schuelma

What can we expect for first week Wii U sales?

Wii sold 350,358. 3DS was 374.764.

Wii U has NSMB U, DQX beta and fucking Monster Hunter. They should have thrown in a Pokemon spinoff for good measure
POKEMON SNAP U GOD DAMN IT
. Is a 400k first week out of the question?

I honestly think they will sell whatever they ship.

Mr Swine

Banned
Any chane that Wii U may outsell Vita ltd this year? Or maybe sell half of it? I'm still wondering what big IP Sony is going to announce at TGS. Any chance that it's MH, DQ and FF? Is there any big IP that isn't on Nintendos handheld that will likely come to Vita?

test_account

XP-39C²
3) with this "cross-play" edition, due to Nintendo will to push the promotion of this brand in the west, Capcom can see the chance to try again with the brand in the west (and after the dèbacle of Dragon's dogma outside Japan, it could be important for them to not drop the MH franchise oversea)
I think this. It seems like Capcom wants to try MH in the west again, and the sales result of TriG there is probably a good indicator of how soon MH4 will come (if it comes) in the west.

Any chane that Wii U may outsell Vita ltd this year? Or maybe sell half of it? I'm still wondering what big IP Sony is going to announce at TGS. Any chance that it's MH, DQ and FF? Is there any big IP that isn't on Nintendos handheld that will likely come to Vita?
Since it is a worldwide launch, i'm not sure that they can ship ~1 million units in Japan for 3-4 week. But about half of it is pretty much a lock in my opinion (unless some big problem in production happens).

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Almost no chance, quite a good chance, no chance, no chance, possibility, and maybe.

Top Bottom