• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, it's Nintendo published.

And on a broader note, I think this signifies that Nintendo is looking to build a lot of tight relationships with smaller to mid-tier Japanese developers. Even to the point of reviving cancelled games.
Thanks. Updated my previous post now, thought it was a 3rd party game.

Was Bayonetta 2 canceled? I know about the rumor, but i dont know if anything was confirmed, seeing that the game was never announced in the first place.

Bayonetta 2 is the 2nd PG (Platinum Games) game that Nintendo publish. If the sales for these games are good, i wouldnt be surprised to see more PG games published by Nintendo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Honestly I doubt MH3G will do much for Wii U in Japan, it's actually probably almost as relevant for the west this time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Honestly I doubt MH3G will do much for Wii U in Japan, it's actually probably almost as relevant for the west this time.

How can you say that ? Its the latest MH title on a home console with only - of course it wont sell as much as portable games or even MH Tri since its a launch title - but having a MH game at launch is huge.

Gambit

I think the idea is to let the MH audience know which console to get if they want MH on the big screen. Together with being the designated Dragon Quest console, I think that was a very good idea on Nintendo's part. (Whether it works, however, is anyone's guess)

watershed

Banned

It won't match the handheld numbers but it will sell very well. And if the logic follows that MH fans are hardcore gamers then it can only help to get those type of gamers on the Wii U early as these are the consumers who drive up a console's attach rate.

FoneBone

MP3rd HD sold only 400k on a system with an established userbase, and that was a port of a game that sold 4.5 million copies. I can't really see the Wii U version doing more than 200k or so.

Even though MH3G HD Ver. won't do much on Wii U, I mean, does it really care? It's a zero-cost operation for Capcom, it's a simple cash-in that will break even with 50k, imo; nevertheless, it's going to sell well given the bundle.

Erethian

The interesting thing with the Wii U version of MH3G, sales-wise, is more what implications it has for MH4.

Having all that cross-platform functionality minimises some of the concerns over releasing the game on more than one platform, too.

So, Wii U stuff aside... why is there still no time/date (AFAIK) for Sony's TGS conference, even though TGS starts in less than a week? They have to be making some announcements, right?

MP3rd HD sold only 400k on a system with an established userbase, and that was a port of a game that sold 4.5 million copies. I can't really see the Wii U version doing more than 200k or so.
True, but I'm sure MH3G HD will move hardware and bring the hardcore crowd to the Wii U, people (including publishers) will have a better opinion of the platform.

Cuddler

True, but I'm sure MH3G HD will move hardware and bring the hardcore crowd to the Wii U, people (including publishers) will have a better opinion of the platform.

But that already happen with the Wii and nothing changed...however I'm sure that MH3G HD will do better than Portable 3rd HD and that the Wii U will get the majority of the game that the ps3 will get next year and some exclusive if Nintendo decide to moneyhatt/pubblish them.

Takao

Banned
Btw, I guess that DCharlie's prediction of a MH game on PSP or Vita this Christmas is no more likely. MH for 2012 will be 3G HD Ver.

Not really, HD Version isn't going to be a huge seller. 2012 is the first year without a big new Monster Hunter title.

2004 - Monster Hunter
2005 - Monster Hunter Portable
2006 - Monster Hunter Dos
2007 - Monster Hunter Portable 2
2008 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2009 - Monster Hunter Tri
2010 - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2011 - Monster Hunter Tri G
2012 - ...
2013 - Monster Hunter 4

Wii U HD port doesn't fit that pattern.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bayonetta 2 is the 2nd PG (Platinum Games) game that Nintendo publish. If the sales for these games are good, i wouldnt be surprised to see more PG games published by Nintendo.

There's also Kamiya's "The Wonderful 101" game coming out for Wii U as well. So there's another Platinum title.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's also Kamiya's "The Wonderful 101" game coming out for Wii U as well. So there's another Platinum title.

Thats the first title he is talkin about.

Wii U HD port doesn't fit that pattern.

Its a new 2012 release on a main plattform - thats all that matters. Way too soon how it`ll perform. With legs it could end up selling +500k, which would already make it one of the biggest third party titles.

muu

Thanks. Updated my previous post now, thought it was a 3rd party game.

Was Bayonetta 2 canceled? I know about the rumor, but i dont know if anything was confirmed, seeing that the game was never announced in the first place.

Disastrous sales of other consumer titles like Anarchy Reigns could certainly have put the project in limbo. Apart from Nintendo and Sony pretty much every publisher/developer in Japan is heading towards the still-profitable social gaming space, and combined with Sega's announcements previously that they were steering away from future console titles in favor of more social stuff, this may have been the only way to save the series.

Would not be surprised if Platinum becomes a Nintendo 2nd party a la Monolith in the near future, either.

Yeshua

Would not be surprised if Platinum becomes a Nintendo 2nd party a la Monolith in the near future, either.

The relationship between Nintendo and Monolith software started with Nintendo funding and publishing Baten Kaitos 2 so yeah wouldn't be surprising at all.

test_account

XP-39C²
Disastrous sales of other consumer titles like Anarchy Reigns could certainly have put the project in limbo. Apart from Nintendo and Sony pretty much every publisher/developer in Japan is heading towards the still-profitable social gaming space, and combined with Sega's announcements previously that they were steering away from future console titles in favor of more social stuff, this may have been the only way to save the series.

Hard to say, Anarchy Reign is a different game than Bayonetta. It was also just a small teaser shown, and no release date given, this might indicate that the game isnt very far into developement. But at least this shows that Nintendo wanted to publish the game and that Sega didnt say no to this.

Yep, that is what i was thinking, that Platinum Games works on Nintendo published games. This is a good way to do it instead of having to create a whole new team.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
A lot of people "called it" because of Capcom's "before the end of the year" teasing and Nintendo's imposed secrecy on everybody regarding the Wii U.

I was one of them, but I really only started to believe when we started to get some hints in the giant Capcom Monster Hunter thread.

Everything makes a lot more sense now.

Cuddler

So...the TGS rumors list from 2011 is now complete...
A while back, several rumors circulated around the Japanese blogosphere. Many of the things seemed credible, but others are outlandish. However, with the announcement of Rhythm Thief R: Emperor Napoleon's Legacy for 3DS today, the whole batch becomes much more credible. So duckroll and I decided it might be good idea to put together a little checklist thread so we can see how these things play out in the coming weeks.

[x] 4 Warriors of Light 2, 3DS ** Renamed to Bravely Default
[x] Monster Hunter Tri G, 3DS
[x] Miku Hatsune (SD style), 3DS
[x] New Shining game using Valkyria systems and characters from Shining Hearts, PSP
[x] Sega has a Layton-like game but with rhythm action instead of puzzles, to be announced at TGS.
[x] Bayonetta 2 is in development and is planned for release at the same time as a theatrical Bayonetta CG movie.
[ ] Vita launch later this year, Monster Hunter 3rd HD will be announced at TGS to be a launch title.
[x] DQ10 is being designed as an MMO-like game.

------

[x] Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP, November 2 release.
[x] Persona 4 Vita port, 2012.

------

-------------------
Now even Bayonetta 2 is true, the only one that is not checked is MH Vita, it seems to me that the game was really in development but something changed just before the TGS. You can see that by the desperate (clearly last minute) request that Sony has done to Square Enix for FFX. I wish someone will tell us what happened there, it will be really interesting. I think right now is impossible to think that we will see a new Monster Hunter game on a Sony platform at least in the next 2 years.

So...the TGS rumors list from 2011 is now complete...

Now even Bayonetta 2 is true, the only one that is not checked is MH Vita, it seems to me that the game was really in development but something changed just before the TGS. You can see that by the desperate (clearly last minute) request that Sony has done to Square Enix for FFX. I wish someone will tell us what happened there, it will be really interesting. I think right now is impossible to think that we will see a new Monster Hunter game on a Sony platform at least in the next 2 years.
Nintendo: Do you see how much Sony has supported MH in the west on top of PSP's performance in the west compared to us? You can make much more off of this cheap cash in by developing for Wii U.
Capcom board of directors: when shall we expect the cash transfer?
Iwata and Capcom laughs

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./12. [PSP] Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenyaku Romantan - Kansen <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.30} (¥6.280)
22./05. [PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia V # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2012.08.30} (¥7.329)
23./20. [WII] Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.19} (¥3.800)
24./26. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
25./23. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} (¥5.490)
26./09. [PS3] AquaPazza: AquaPlus Dream Match # <FTG> (Aqua Plus) {2012.08.30} (¥7.140)
27./28. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Definitive Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.11.23} (¥5.040)
28./24. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
29./25. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400)
30./00. [360] Max Payne 3 <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2012.09.06} (¥7.770)
31./29. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
32./31. [3DS] Rune Factory 4: A Fantasy Harvest Moon <SLG> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2012.07.19} (¥5.229)
33./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition (New Price Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940)
34./00. [PS3] Saints Row: The Third (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥3.990)
35./22. [PSP] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Game <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.09} (¥5.230)
36./00. [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Ezio Saga <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.09.06} (¥9.980)
37./35. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
38./00. [3DS] PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 with Agnes Lum - Pachi-Pro Fuuunroku Hana Kesareta License <TBL> (Irem Software Engineering) {2012.09.06} (¥6.090)
39./34. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (PlayStation 3 the Best) <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.02} (¥3.800)
40./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Subtitled Edition (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥3.990)
41./42. [PS3] Assassin's Creed I + II Welcome Pack <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.07.19} (¥2.940)
42./37. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.05.24} (¥4.800)
43./32. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena <FTG> (Atlus) {2012.07.26} (¥7.329)
44./39. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.07.19} (¥5.250)
45./40. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.07.19} (¥6.980)
46./00. [PSP] Taiko Risshiden V (Koei Tecmo the Best) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940)
47./21. [PS3] Spec Ops: The Line <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2012.08.30} (¥7.140)
48./36. [NDS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.08.02} (¥5.230)
49./41. [PSP] Super Dangan-Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen # <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.07.26} (¥6.279)
50./45. [PSP] Warriors Orochi 3: Special <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.07.19} (¥6.090)

Top 50

3DS - 16
PS3 - 16
PSP - 8
WII - 6
NDS - 2
360 - 1
PSV - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    554.000 |    931.000 |  1.155.000 | 32.481.000 | 30.609.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First day sellthrough

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 50% (PS3/360 shipments =10/1)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd - 40%
Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei - 60%
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone - 20%
Medarot 7: Kabuto / Kuwagata - low

I'm not sure why Koei Tecmo is porting Warriors Orochi 2 instead of 3 to the Wii U, the effort required would be the same for either game, or are they trying to milk the series by releasing a WO3 later down the road?

But that already happen with the Wii and nothing changed...however I'm sure that MH3G HD will do better than Portable 3rd HD and that the Wii U will get the majority of the game that the ps3 will get next year and some exclusive if Nintendo decide to moneyhatt/pubblish them.
MHTri came out too late, third parties were already all on 360/PS3 development. This is at launch, building a core base at launch is the way to go if you want to give developers incentive to keep at it. Look at 3DS ecosystem and you can see, even though it was nearly a year into the handhelds life, MH has done very well to bring core gamers to the system.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First day sellthrough

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 50% (PS3/360 shipments =10/1)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd - 40%
Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei - 60%
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone - 20%
Medarot 7: Kabuto / Kuwagata - low

OH GOD TAKAO DON'T DO BAD THINGS

Alrus

I'm not sure why Koei Tecmo is porting Warriors Orochi 2 instead of 3 to the Wii U, the effort required would be the same for either game, or are they trying to milk the series by releasing a WO3 later down the road?

Musou Orochi 2 = Warriors Orochi 3.

DGRE

Banned
One vita title in the top 50. What good is a bump if no one buys the platform for anything more than one title?

Leezard

MHTri came out too late, third parties were already all on 360/PS3 development. This is at launch, building a core base at launch is the way to go if you want to give developers incentive to keep at it. Look at 3DS ecosystem and you can see, even though it was nearly a year into the handhelds life, MH has done very well to bring core gamers to the system.

Musou Orochi 2 = Warriors Orochi 3.

Yup, Warriors Orochi 2 (in the west) was called Musou Orochi Z in Japan.

Kenka

So that means Samurai Warriors will win the week by a landslide ?

edit: nevermind, Garaph told me that the predecessor did 147,777 (odd LTD number)
That's probably a 80k opening.

Top Bottom