• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding the 3DS, maybe the word hasnt spread that fast yet about a new model. I guess this week and next week will be more telling.

sörine

Banned
Not so sure about PS4 but ast least for Vita I think Sony said they'll give huge discount for royalty fee from third parties for secondary platform (Vita) if primary platform is PS3. Perhaps they're now applying same practice to PS4?
I don't doubt this is a possibility. Wii U and PS4 launch windows have proven similarly disasterous for Japanese 3rd party games, but the 3rd party response to that have been on opposite ends. While part of that might be due to platform confirmation bias, I have to imagine a significant motivator to be the behind the scenes treatment and incentives by Sony versus Nintendo.

crinale

Didn't know about reduced royalty fees. I remembered only about the tools that help bringing PS3 titles to Vita. I suppose it's a possibility.

It's kind of hilarious treating the brand new console as a "secondary platform" and the older ine as the "primary" one, but in the case it's a great move in order to help the console getting some ground, support-wise.

Well if the multiplatform style is not like Ni-No-Kuni many companies develop game with a lead platform in mind. The major difference between (current) Sony's strategy vs Nintendo's is that Nintendo is quicker to move to new generation, while Sony let old one fade away. Not saying which one is better, just saying they are different.

I'm looking for the source about royalty fee but can't find it so take it as nothing more than a rumor.
While googling I found a lot of rumors regarding royalty fees but none of them had source :(

PS4 sales increase during Xbox launch week... hmmmm... if we could only get a new console launch every week...^^

Yeah, I know new software came out this week; just being goofy

What does the Japan Xbox One fall line up look like? Any Japan centric titles? Sorry if already asked...

sense

Yes, these games usually sell quite well and this performance is quite bad even for a port on its own, and even worse considering that Sony systems/PS4 is supposed to be where the fanbase is. Quite interesting that despite several bombs of Musou games on PS4 like this one it´s still getting every Musou just in blind faith.

I am sure tecmo is seriously considering dropping support because a 6 month old port with no meaningful upgrade rereleased at full price didn't sell like crazy....man some of you really seem salty because tecmo considers their fanbase exists on playstation and releases their games on it more often. when a new game releases only on ps4 and the numbers are bad then we can start questioning them. if the same old port released on wii u it probably wouldn't even show up on the chart.

sörine;129314096 said:
Both Wii U Musou were also late ports. I'm not seeing much difference, except one system was dropped almost immediately while the other gets literally every future Musou announced for it.
well they are making money on the ps3 and vita versions and probably being given some sort of discount by sony for putting it on all 3 platforms. on the nintendo side the only other alternative is 3ds so i guess they are hedging their bets on the right platform? plus they are releasing overseas on all platforms next month

sörine;129314096 said:
Going a bit far. I wouldn't call Koei fanboys even though they clearly hold Nintendo and PlatStation systems to different standards. ;)

i am not sure if he meant to call koei fanboys :) but i could be wrong.

Scum

I'd like to see NCL drop the prices of the software. Chop 10 quid off already.

I would love to see everything single negative thing I have to say being proven wrong or turning around. I think we would all like to. :)

I'd love to see it too. :D

zroid

Banned
Sometimes it amazes me they even bothered releasing XB1 there. I guess when they know it's a secondary tertiary market, they can set their plans accordingly so the venture can still be profitable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;129315314 said:
I don't doubt this is a possibility. Wii U and PS4 launch windows have proven similarly disasterous for Japanese 3rd party games, but the 3rd party response to that have been on opposite ends. While part of that might be due to platform confirmation bias, I have to imagine a significant motivator to be the behind the scenes treatment and incentives by Sony versus Nintendo.

Probably, it also helps that PS4 is doing well enough in the West, both hardware and software, while Wii U, right after the launch... :p

And probably reduced development costs of any kind (tools or -if true- royalty fees being lower) since it's a console from the same company.

sörine;129311975 said:
Yep, 3rd Musou bomba on PS4 in a row. Koei dumped Wii U after just 2 but hey, different rules just seem to apply when it's PlayStation.
Well, Japan isn't they only place that buys these games, and I dare say the PS4 versions are better suited to sell internationally than any Wii U ones.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Really bad numbers for the X1. Just think, this is the most it's ever going to sell in a week's span for the rest of its life.

SmokyDave

I agree, it's very rarely legit salt with Dave. I just found that response to be appropriate.
Dude, I appreciate that you recognise my tongue-in-cheek style and I offer you a virtual pint in return. Or, I would, but I haven't actually bothered searching for a picture of a pint. Sorry.

crinale

Sometimes it amazes me they even bothered releasing XB1 there. I guess when they know it's a secondary tertiary market, they can set their plans accordingly so the venture can still be profitable.

In Microsoft's defense Xbox360 did a lot better than its predecessor.
If you lived in Japan thru late 2007-2008 then you may have felt that Xbox360 actually has a chance gain some ground in this region.
Too bad MS had given up after 2009 :(

Ryuuga

Banned
Xbox One finally beat PS4! They should find a way to sneak this weeks victory into a statement for overall sales.

Opiate

sörine;129315314 said:

This is about consumer and developer expectations. Due to a long history of just this sort of behavior, consumers expect the next Metal Gear and Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry and Resident Evil to be on the next Playstation system. Consumers plan for that before the games are even announced.

Nintendo has no such privilege; if a major third party game is announced for Nintendo's systems -- even successful ones like the 3DS -- it's a bit of a surprise. These sorts of expectations have real consequences. Sony and Microsoft haven't been bending over backwards for third parties for no reason; they aren't just trying to secure individual games (although that's also good), they're trying to set up expectations in consumers minds. Even in 2012, before anything was announced, I expected MGS5 to be on PS4, even though the game had not been announced, even though the PS4 had not been announced, and even though Konami is technically an independent company which could put the MGS franchise on any other system at any time they chose.

These sorts of expectations are a big deal, and it's something Nintendo has completely lacked for a decade or more now.

Toemon

Banned
Note: Xbox 360 sales increased from sub 1k due to Xbox One demand.

Erhem.

First of all thank you Japan for buying the Xbox One and exceeding our expectations. However, we all know Media Create is a more reliable source but I want to get on point here.

23k Xboxes is very good with momentum, only if the momentum falls drastically next week, can one start to panic. Remember, our Xbox original launched much higher than the 360, yet our 360 outsold it 2:1. Remember, the launch window does not end until.next week.

Titanfall continues to be a strong system seller for us because its one of the only true next generation games. It even surprisingly outsold our other bundled games: Forza and Kinect sports. Meaning people brought Titanfall alone or an extra copy.

With games like Titanfall, and a chance to keep momentum, remember the 360, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR why Japan chose the Xbox One, the all-in-fun-time entertainment system.

BREAKING: We at Xbox would like to announce the Xbox One outsold all competing home video game consoles in this weeks Media Create/Famitsu sales numbers! And we only launched less than a week ago!

Tune in next wendsday where we find out whether top titles like Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and upcoming killer app, Choas:Head, will keep us around the same momentum.

Thank You for your support Japan!

________-Richardson Toemon Microsoft Marketing*

*For Windows Phone.

In Microsoft's defense Xbox360 did a lot better than its predecessor.
If you lived in Japan thru late 2007-2008 then you may have felt that Xbox360 actually has a chance gain some ground in this region.
Too bad MS had given up after 2009 :(

Microsoft gave up by failing (not bothering ?) To get ff13 day and date alongside the ps3 version, it basically meant that jRPG fans (who had been their bread and butter until that point) had to go out and buy a ps3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
XB1: 25,674
Wii U: 7,349
PS4: 7,299

XB1: 23,562
PS4: 6,373
Wii U: 5,551

Whatever way we slice it, I think it's clear the market has spoken.

Sony and Nintendo simply can't compete with a system that's 3-4 times as appealing as theirs.

Occam

Note: Xbox 360 sales increased from sub 1k due to Xbox One demand.

Erhem.

First of all thank you Japan for buying the Xbox One and exceeding our expectations. However, we all know Media Create is a more reliable source but I want to get on point here.

23k Xboxes is very good with momentum, only if the momentum falls drastically next week, can one start to panic. Remember, our Xbox original launched much higher than the 360, yet our 360 outsold it 2:1. Remember, the launch window does not end until.next week.

Titanfall continues to be a strong system seller for us because its one of the only true next generation games. It even surprisingly outsold our other bundled games: Forza and Kinect sports. Meaning people brought Titanfall alone or an extra copy.

With games like Titanfall, and a chance to keep momentum, remember the 360, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR why Japan chose the Xbox One, the all-in-fun-time entertainment system.

BREAKING: We at Xbox would like to announce the Xbox One outsold all competing home video game consoles in this weeks Media Create/Famitsu sales numbers! And we only launched less than a week ago!

Tune in next wendsday where we find out whether top titles like Titanfall, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and upcoming killer app, Choas:Head, will keep us around the same momentum.

Thank You for your support Japan!

________-Richardson Toemon Microsoft Marketing*

*For Windows Phone.

Joke post?

ibtNaqqDeJKNz5.png

sörine

Banned
Probably, it also helps that PS4 is doing well enough in the West, both hardware and software, while Wii U, right after the launch... :p

And probably reduced development costs of any kind (tools or -if true- royalty fees being lower) since it's a console from the same company.

Well, Japan isn't they only place that buys these games, and I dare say the PS4 versions are better suited to sell internationally than any Wii U ones.
The western sales argument is a relatively hollow one without any numbers to back it up. There's never been any indication these games sold very well in the west, even in the PS2 salad days when we did get comprehensive npd leaks. If they did do well in America and Europe then 360 would probably still be getting most of them.

Koei's treatment of Musou on 3DS vs Vita is basically an exact parallel, except one Musou actually sold well on 3DS so it still gets that one series (which Vita gets now too anyway). Koei eventually built an okay (but still sub-100k) Musou base on Vita but it took several bombs to get there. You can probably try to make a technology argument against 3DS also getting multiplatform releases, but that sort of thing didn't seem to keep PS2 and PSP from still recieving a ton of HD Musou downports so I'm not sure what makes 3DS so different. I mean besides the fact it isn't a PlayStation.

urfe

I feel Wii U has a presence in Japan, and so I really don't get why no one is buying it.

I really didn't want to buy another console this gen, but if PS4 improves and Wii U doesn't (and if DQX is on PS4), then I may have no choice.

Sucks since Wii U is so rad.

crinale

sörine;129318638 said:
The western sales argument is a relatively hollow one without any numbers to back it up. There's never been any indication these games sold very well in the west, even in the PS2 salad days when we did get comprehensive npd leaks. If they did do well in America and Europe then 360 would probably still be getting most of them.

Koei's treatment of Musou on 3DS vs Vita is basically an exact parallel, except one Musou actually sold well on 3DS so it still gets that one series (which Vita gets now too anyway). Koei eventually built an okay (but still sub-100k) Musou base on Vita but it took several bombs to get there. You can probably try to make a technology argument against 3DS also getting multiplatform releases, but that sort of thing didn't seem to keep PS2 and PSP from still recieving a ton of HD Musou downports so I'm not sure what makes 3DS so different. I mean besides the fact it isn't a PlayStation.

Well next 3DS Musou also has Vita port. It'll be interesting how each version performs.

As quick as expected.
I thought he was joking but may be he wasn't and just trolling instead.

He got banned for being rude, confrontational, and making posts like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129195284&postcount=7

He did not get banned for his joke post.

Thank you for clarification :D

sörine

Banned
Well next 3DS Musou also has Vita port. It'll be interesting how each version performs.
It could easily go either way I think. On one hand you have the dominant platform with the more successful Musou releases but only a couple of them. On the other you have the secondary platform but one that's seen major effort in trying to build a Musou audience on, with four times as many releases including higher profile IP (One Piece, Gundam, mainline DW/SW). I really don't know which version will sell more.

Mpl90

sörine;129318638 said:

About the West, I was talking more generally, not just about Musou titles.

About Musou titles, I suppose that, with all the tools making far easier to release titles on Vita compared to what happened with PSP even at the same time, they've just decided to ditch all the Special versions, which were all PSP releases, and to go directly with simultaneous releases with home versions. Thus, 3DS is out since it can't support toned down versions from PS3 / it's too expensive to do that compared to just release it on Vita. Heck, I actually think all the Vita versions are doing better (even if slightly) than what the Special versions were used to do on PSP. I could dig up some numbers later, since I don!t remember exact numbers right now, though.

Regarding the 3DS, maybe the word hasnt spread that fast yet about a new model. I guess this week and next week will be more telling.

Next week: Super Smash Bros. I think 3DS might well increase.

I really wish MC would hurry up and figure out a way to cover mobile gaming effectively. It would paint a more complete and accurate picture, and would also slow the number of people coming in to MC threads decrying that the Japanese gaming market is dead.

The problem, here, is about users, not about MC or Famitsu data. Those companies are really tracking traditional video game sales, which are on a downward trend, of course, but nothing never seen before. There were bad periods in the past as well; during early 2000, only two consoles were really viable (PS2 and GBA) and third party software was basically only on the former. Now the market is more fragmented, but there has also been boom not many years ago.

Also, traditional and mobile markets are based on completely different business models. I guess users realize that a lot of people are playing on mobile phones, i.e. a threat for traditional video games. It's difficult to compare, though, the two realities. It's like comparing TV ratings and YT views.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Toemon
Banned
(Today, 02:13 PM)

Long overdue

Surprised about the 3DS - the numbers aren't terrible considering the recent announcement of the new 3DS sku

Exile20

I feel Wii U has a presence in Japan, and so I really don't get why no one is buying it.

I really didn't want to buy another console this gen, but if PS4 improves and Wii U doesn't (and if DQX is on PS4), then I may have no choice.

Sucks since Wii U is so rad.

Ye that sucks, I think devs are waiting for Smash sales to make decisions on Wii U support. Granted, I doubt the Wii U will ever get MGS or FF.

I am hoping that from Bay2 to smash the Wii U gains a lot of sales and carries it into 2015 on a high.

From the started I questioned Smash on 3ds. If it was a Wii U exclusive it would have been finished by now and I am sure it will sell gangbusters. I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they made this decison. Maybe the 3ds was not doing too good at the time.

Maybe they will release smash on 3ds and the wii u version will have far more features that people will buy it for wii u also.

Mpl90

Ye that sucks, I think devs are waiting for Smash sales to make decisions on Wii U support. Granted, I doubt the Wii U will ever get MGS or FF.

I am hoping that from Bay2 to smash the Wii U gains a lot of sales and carries it into 2015 on a high.

From the started I questioned Smash on 3ds. If it was a Wii U exclusive it would have been finished by now and I am sure it will sell gangbusters. I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they made this decison. Maybe the 3ds was not doing too good at the time.

Maybe they will release smash on 3ds and the wii u version will have far more features that people will buy it for wii u also.

Next week, you'll see what they were thinking when they decided to release it also on 3DS.

Mory Dunz

Welp, Wii U back to 2013 levels and heck, PS4 might start outselling it consistently until Smash. Great, Nintendo.

I'm annoyed.
I'll get over it....in a little bit.

Top Bottom