• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I agree they're different business models, but not particularly different customer bases or different use cases, which is the most important point.

Youtube (and similar streaming sites) have begun to take chunks out of TV viewership, so it's happening there too, but not nearly as rapidly as the mobile market has taken chunks out of the traditional gaming market. Pretty clearly, people (especially in Japan, but also elsewhere) are replacing traditional gaming with mobile gaming.

TV also has an additional issue in that streaming, iTunes, and DVRs are killing live viewership numbers, though our digital distribution numbers for Japan show that it's not exactly comparable and the bite is almost entirely from mobile.

duckroll

TV also has an additional issue in that streaming, iTunes, and DVRs are killing live viewership numbers, though our digital distribution numbers for Japan show that it's not exactly comparable and the bite is almost entirely mobile mobile.

Square Enix is leading the way with DiveIn! Soon streaming will take Japan by storm and people won't even buy digital downloads anymore!

Frodo

BEST SELLING CONSOLE!

Wait until they start releasing their exclusives. Japan is gonna implode within the success of the One (and only worthy console).

Sayad

sörine;129324935 said:
The only real indication we have is that DQX isn't on PlayStation or Xbox. And if that standard's enough, should we also assume Sony holds rights over FFFXIV?
Didn't SE mention that FFXIV isn't on Xbox One because of cross play between all platforms?

sörine

Banned
Didn't SE mention that FFXIV isn't on Xbox One because of cross play between all platforms?
That's why it wasn't on Xbox 360, I don't know if that's been confirmed about Xbox One though? Nintendo allows universal cross-platform online play (Sony doesn't btw, it's case by case) but there's no sign of FFXIV for Wii U or (streamed on) 3DS.

Yeah:

The game director of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has explained the title won't be coming to Microsoft consoles as Xbox Live policies don't support cross-play with other platforms.

I suspected DQX had a exclusivity deal. I guess Kagari has confirmed my suspicion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
sörine;129329135 said:
That's why it wasn't on Xbox 360, I don't know if that's been confirmed about Xbox One though? Nintendo allows universal cross-platform online play (Sony doesn't btw, it's case by case) but there's no sign of FFXIV for Wii U or (streamed on) 3DS.

SE might be apprehensive with XIV somewhat because they're already struggling with PS3 limitations. But then again, no one ever asks Yoshida about a Wii U version.

sörine

Banned
Right, MS won't allow even PC players to play with Xbox users for whatever reason.
This isn't entirely true, it's also a case by case evaluation for Microsoft. The Warthunder dev got rejected by MS but not Sony which is where this story comes from mainly.

RalchAC

SE might be apprehensive with XIV somewhat because they're already struggling with PS3 limitations. But then again, no one ever asks Yoshida about a Wii U version.

Isn't the peineta with the xbox version that Microsoft doesn't want it to be crossplay while Sony allows it?

Their official stance is that they are willing to put it whenever Microsoft changes their mind.

Rocky

Banned
Why is crossplay such an issue with MMOs? FFXI showed it could be done nicely. You had PC, PS2(and to an extent BC PS3) and 360 owners all playing together. Hell, there wasn't even regional barriers, we could all play together no matter where you were, pretty much.

Why do other games not do this? It just made FFXI that much better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why is crossplay such an issue with MMOs? FFXI showed it could be done nicely. You had PC, PS2(and to an extent BC PS3) and 360 owners all playing together. Hell, there wasn't even regional barriers, we could all play together no matter where you were, pretty much.

Why do other games not do this? It just made FFXI that much better.

The vendors usually don't allow it.

L~A

sörine;129329135 said:

I... think we already know why there's no Wii U version.

As for the 3DS, it might be coming... though honestly, not sure it's a good idea with such a small resolution for the screens. Dragon Quest X is already quite bad with the font...

About Youkai Watch 2, 36k/ week for it to reach 3m before the end of the year. Curious to see the impact of Pokémon, Smash and MH4G launches on its sales. And what about the movie: is Level-5 going to do anything special with it?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As promised earlier to Sorine...

PSP Musou Special / later releases v.s. PSV Musou simultaneous releases (Famitsu; no "The Best" included; digital included)

[PSP] Warriors Orochi 2 {2008.11.27} - 42,745 / 202,625
[PSP] Warriors Orochi {2008.02.21} - 51,876 / 162,403
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 7: Special {2011.08.25} - 28,598 / 84,234
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special {2009.10.22} - 23,059 / 76,729
[PSP] Warriors Orochi 3: Special {2012.07.19} - 24,518 / 67,570
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires {2010.01.21} - 13,741 / 43,617

[PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 {2013.03.20} - 54,509 / 103,757
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn {2013.12.19} - 44,889 / 96,021
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 {2014.03.20} - 43,545 / 92,722
[PSV] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate {2013.09.26} - 24,825 / 48,225
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends {2013.11.28} - 11,627

The only stand-outs for PSP are Warriors Orochi ports, but the rest...seems quite in line, if not a bit better: some of those PSV games' LTD aren't updated.

sörine

Banned
It's certainly possible, I won't deny Wii U not exactly being the most attractive platform these days. Even though DQX's done remarkably well on it.

I ask mainly because it's well known you have connections to Square Enix PR so I wanted to know if your statement that DQX might have have some sort of console exclusivity clause comes from something you've heard specifically from trusted sources or if it's simply your evaluation based on where DQX has actually shown up? Or both?

Mario007

sörine;129331892 said:
It's certainly possible, I won't deny Wii U not exactly being the most attractive platform these days. Even though DQX's done remarkably well on it.

I ask mainly because it's well known you have connections to Square Enix PR so I wanted to know if your statement that DQX might have have some sort of console exclusivity clause comes from something you've heard specifically from trusted sources or if it's simply your evaluation based on where DQX has actually shown up? Or both?

Has it? Has it even crossed 100k LTD yet?

RalchAC

Looking at that list the games that have sold better are the ones that were original games.
Was DW8 + Expansion on Vita more expensive than just the expansion on Ps3?

I'd say the Vita holds rather well, considering sales where divided across 2 platforms.

sörine

Banned
Has it? Has it even crossed 100k LTD yet?
The original sold around 70k retail although Saito said that represented only a third of sales (it had a huge eShop discount for existing DQX subscribers). The update sold about 130k retail+eShop which matched the retail only Wii version. Best guess is about a third or so DQX's ~300k subscribers are on Wii U.

jonno394

God damn @ Hyrule Floppiers

I thought Japan liked that shitty genre what happened

Small wii u userbase. Zelda not Extremely popular in japan etc

Edit - iirc koei want 150k sales. It'll be at 100k next week so 150 lifetime is achievable ...Maybe

Edit 2 - famitsu has it already breaking 100k

Sayad

sörine;129330197 said:
This isn't entirely true, it's also a case by case evaluation for Microsoft. The Warthunder dev got rejected by MS but not Sony which is where this story comes from mainly.
That story comes from a direct Yoshida quote:
"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," Yoshida revealed to us when asked if an exclusivity deal had been signed with Sony alongside the PS4 version or if the lack of an Xbox platform version was still thanks to Microsoft's restrictive Xbox Live Policies.
"The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it," Yoshida told us.
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2430-ff...born-skipping-xbox-is-still-down-to-microsoft

Real question real quick, because this bothers me quite a bit, I know wikipedia used to ban people who keep trying to remove it (before i fixed it within the last year) which may have caused some outlets to cement that number in their minds but...

Where the hell are people getting the original Xbox selling 2 million in japan? I mean, honestly, there are still articles from "credible" websites still using that number as fact, where did that number even come from?

For example: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/japan-still-doesnt-care-about-xbox/

Did someone accidentally say 2 million at microsoft or something?

Opiate

TV also has an additional issue in that streaming, iTunes, and DVRs are killing live viewership numbers, though our digital distribution numbers for Japan show that it's not exactly comparable and the bite is almost entirely from mobile.

Absolutely. I was trying to show that "different business model" does not meaningfully tell us if two businesses are directly competing or not.

As a separate example, Amazon pretty clearly has a very different business model than traditional retailers, but is also just as clearly competing with them directly. Different business model tells us very little; what we need to know is who the business' customers are and what the use cases for the companies products are.

Real question real quick, because this bothers me quite a bit, I know wikipedia used to ban people who keep trying to remove it (before i fixed it within the last year) which may have caused some outlets to cement that number in their minds but...

Where the hell are people getting the original Xbox selling 2 million in japan? I mean, honestly, there are still articles from "credible" websites still using that number as fact, where did that number even come from?

For example: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/japan-still-doesnt-care-about-xbox/

Did someone accidentally say 2 million at microsoft or something?

People do that?

I believe 2 million is the total shipments to the "Asia and Pacific" region, which I guess gets confused with Japan only.

Absolutely. I was trying to show that "different business model" does not meaningfully tell us if two businesses are directly competing or not.

As a separate example, Amazon pretty clearly has a very different business model than traditional retailers, but is also just as clearly competing with them directly. Different business model tells us very little; what we need to know is who the business' customers are and what the use cases for the companies products are.

This is not entirely true, though. Amazon has the same business model of most brick and mortar stores, that is wholesale pricing contract; the company largely acts as a reseller, by buying products from suppliers and selling to consumers, and setting retail prices. The main source of revenues comes, therefore, from margins over suppliers' prices.

Amazon has a Marketplace as well, where sellers can directly interact with customers by setting retail prices; here, Amazon takes a cut of sellers' revenues, but this accounts of just 20-25% of total revenues. Furthermore, this is no different than a typical large retailer such as BestBuy, which rents retail space to big companies where contracts are really similar to those on Amazon Marketplace. In fact, both Amazon and large physical retailers implement both business models, but the primary one is still wholesale pricing.

The Vita is selling worse than I expected which is 20k+.

Youkai Watch 2 has better legs than I expected and should easily reach 3 million.

I'm curious as to how the New 3DS will sell
as well as Smash. When I expect these to hit the market in Japan?

It seems the Vita is going to sell less and less and maybe average 8-10k a week next year , unless there are some high profile games for Vita next year that I don't know about .

Phantasy Star Nova is still being releases this year right ?
I doubt it will hit 400k FW.
I actually have no idea of how much anticipation there is for it in Japan.

The Vita is selling worse than I expected which is 20k+.

Youkai Watch 2 has better legs than I expected and should easily reach 3 million.

I'm curious as to how the New 3DS will sell
as well as Smash. When I expect these to hit the market in Japan?

It seems the Vita is going to sell less and less and maybe average 8-10k a week next year , unless there are some high profile games for Vita next year that I don't know about .

Phantasy Star Nova is still being releases this year right ?
I doubt it will hit 400k FW.
I actually have no idea of how much anticipation there is for it in Japan.

I don't think we can really do a good job estimating potential n3DS sales until we better know exactly how big of an improvement it is and how many devs actually intend to take advantage of those improvements (At the cost of locking out the large existing 3DS market).

3DS 16.126.245 |
| XB1 | 25.674 |
| PSV # | 3.228.403 |
| WIU |1.914.829 |
| PS4 |685.484 |

I had no idea Vita was only at 3 million. that's incredible, so it must have sold next to nothing for the first few years in comparison to the 3DS. I though they were at least around 8 million.

As for the consoles, all 3 of the trio has been released. Microsoft better up people were just waiting for word of mouth and will buy this week or else next week will hurt them very badly.

I had no idea Wii U outsold the PS4, it looks like the PS4 is not keeping up with the Wii U either, how the hell did that happen? I guess they had some sales tranfers from the Wii I guess. I also noticed almost half of PS4s sales were the first day it came out because they opened with over 300,000.

It looks like Nintendo is going to win both sides 2 terms in a row. That would be impressive, but it kind of shows how they are still isolated from the rest of the world if anything.

Tripon

Wonder when YW2 gets announced. YW2 got some crazy legs. Does L5 just let YW2 ride that wave or kill it like the original YK so they can get a prime spot like they did for YW2?

I had no idea Wii U outsold the PS4, it looks like the PS4 is not keeping up with the Wii U either, how the hell did that happen? I guess they had some sales tranfers from the Wii I guess. I also noticed almost half of PS4s sales were the first day it came out because they opened with over 300,000.

Nintendo Wii U:
Release date : December 2012
Time in market : 22 months
Core titles released : Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario 3D, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

PS4:
Release date : Feb 2014
Time in market : 7 months
Core titles released : Yakuza Ishin, MGSV GZ, Sengoku Musou 4.

One console is in the market 3x longer than another console, and one console has released several system mover-class flagship games, while the other console, so far, has non-mainline cross-gen games and late-ports.

Yagami_Sama

I really thought that Dragon quest X would have sold much more, due to some complaints.
Xbox-one will be at the same position of its ancestor.

Great games for Wii U just on September 20 and 27th, I hope that sales has a significant boost.

Nintendo Wii U:
Release date : December 2012
Time in market : 22 months
Core titles released : Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario 3D, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

PS4:
Release date : Feb 2014
Time in market : 7 months
Core titles released : Yakuza Ishin, MGSV GZ, Sengoku Musou 4.

Not sure what your point is here.

Not sure what your point is here.

You're asking why a console with unappealing games isn't keeping up with a console with domestically appealing and highly sought after games?

Just look at the the list of games on both platforms, from a Japanese perspective. That's your answer.

Tripon

You're asking why a console with unappealing games isn't keeping up with a console with domestically appealing and highly sought after games?

Just look at the the list of games on both platforms, from a Japanese perspective. That's your answer.
Ahem. You are forgetting the highly regarded F2P Dream Club PS4 exclusive.

Salex_

\I had no idea Wii U outsold the PS4, it looks like the PS4 is not keeping up with the Wii U either, how the hell did that happen? I guess they had some sales tranfers from the Wii I guess. I also noticed almost half of PS4s sales were the first day it came out because they opened with over 300,000.

It looks like Nintendo is going to win both sides 2 terms in a row. That would be impressive, but it kind of shows how they are still isolated from the rest of the world if anything.

Why are you surprised? There's numerous of established high selling IPs in Japan on the Wii U. The PS4 has 3 notable games for that market and they're all cross-gen launch titles (Yakuza Ishin, FF14 port, and MGS demo). There's no reason why the Wii U shouldn't be outselling the PS4 in Japan even if it's by 100.

Another way to look at it. Bloodborne will be the first big PS4 exclusive for the Japanese market. That's a year after it launched...lol

Top Bottom