• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

At the very least, this should be enough of an argument for Nintendo to get more Warriors games to the Wii U imo. Sure the PS3 games still sell, and that audience will move somewhere, but in the meantime PS4 sales and Wii U sales aren't that different (until DQHeroes or something).

These games are probably tests to see how well the engine runs and get software engineers more acquainted with the platform than anything else (Besides stuff like getting a publishing license and familiarizing themselves with the platform in general). The dev/pub probably sees more of a future in the PS4. They'll re-evaluate in a few months after the holidays.

crinale

No offense, but the Wii U ports did about the same as the PS4 versions so far. Imo, that shows they should support the Wii U as well as the PS4 until one clearly starts selling a lot more (or just continue because both sell).

WiiU ports performing as par with PS4 ports in Japan does not seem to convince devs to support WiiU IMO. We don't know the details but we can guess:

- Porting between PS platforms may be easier in spite of stark architecture difference. Thanks to Sony's (or third party devs in-house) engine to enable it.
- WiiU sales number isn't too impressive outside of Japan so if devs want to sell games overseas as well then PS4 may look a bit more attractive. Of course they must see what type of usebase each console have in the West too.
- WiiU is the only console with two screens by default so devs must come up with some creative way to make good use of it, or else they'll be burned by critics. (This makes it more sense to make a multiplat game between WiiU and 3DS, though)

I don't care what Nintendo next-gen, the only thing I want them to focus on is third party relationships and having a competent console power-wise will make that a ton easier.

They can't keep ignoring the western devs, if they dont have a bonafide wii/ds success out of the game, they'll be left once out once again from third party games and stuck with weak hardware and nothing but first party games to carry them again.

Power isn't the only thing though, they need to have a solid launch line-up and their hardware has to sell well right out of the gate, otherwise third parties will find a reason to avoid Nintendo again. They have a huge uphill battle.

Sony/MS will always have third parties to back them up, as long as their hardware decently, Nintendo doesn't have that luxury.

Nintendo talks alot of wisdom but they also tend to promise things that never happen, Iwata needs to make less promises and show more results and next-gen's launch will tell us how much they've really learnt, but based on history, Nintendo is really stubborn with their first party first philosophy and third parties a distant second.

It's not just the hardware. The hardware is more a symptom of their positioning, than a cause.

It's their brand, as touched upon earlier by Opiate. And it's going to take a lot more than more powerful hardware or a token curveball game selling well to modify that brand perception towards one in consumer minds as a place where they can expect all their core games and in publisher minds where they can expect their core titles to sell well.

sörine

Banned
I'm not certain the issue really originates with consumer expectations. If they did then why is Musou selling identically on Wii U and PS4? Why is it selling better on 3DS than Vita? The issue is that consumer response doesn't really seem to be what's leading platform support decisions at all.

Takao

Banned
sörine;129422870 said:
I'm not certain the issue really originates with consumer expectations. If they did then why is Musou selling identically on Wii U and PS4? Why is it selling better on 3DS than Vita? The issue is that consumer response doesn't really seem to be what's leading platform support decisions at all.

Is that really a fair comparison? Every Vita game has been a port (with DWNext being arguable, as apparently it's very heavily based on an earlier entry). That's not been the case with the 3DS ones.

While Musou Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U was ultimately an expanded port, it has content that the previous versions didn't. AFAIK none of the PS4 Musous have anything over their PS3/PSV counterparts other than visuals. ZSaber's numbers are a bit without context. Orochi 3 Hyper's tracking period is twice the length of DW8XL PS4's. DW8XL has already outsold Musou on Wii U in a shorter period of time. I don't expect tremendous legs from here on out for that one, but I don't think the games are "selling identically" on Wii U and PS4.

crinale

Is that really a fair comparison? Every Vita game has been a port (with DWNext being arguable, as apparently it's very heavily based on an earlier entry). That's not been the case with the 3DS ones.

While Musou Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U was ultimately an expanded port, it has content that the previous versions didn't. AFAIK none of the PS4 Musos

Well every comparison is subjective to a degree because none of Musou on both platforms were released under equal condition, and that's why only next Sengoku Chronicles 3 may be the "fair" comparison (same release date, same content and different platforms).

Guymelef

We have DW 8: Empires before SW 3: Chronicles.
Samee day on PS3/PS4/XBO.
Also Empires aren't the best sellers in the series.

sörine

Banned

While Musou Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U was ultimately an expanded port, it has content that the previous versions didn't. AFAIK none of the PS4 Musos
DW Next and SW Chronicles seem pretty comparable I thought, both are technically original titles recycle the full cast and some scenarios/assets from the previous mainline games (SW3 & DW7). And since SWC is basically the only pure Musou on 3DS (DWVS being a multiplayer spinoff and SWC2nd being essentially an expanded version of the first game) I'm not sure what else we should compare? 3DS hasn't been quite as blessed with the Musou flood as Vita, that's sort of the point.

WO3 Hyper is probably a better case since it did have extra content. It also launched against stiffer competition than any of the PS4 Musou though. We're never going to get perfect match up unless we get a multiplatform release, although so far old ports are selling basically the same on both systems. I wonder how they compare to early 360 Musou actually?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

While Musou Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U was ultimately an expanded port, it has content that the previous versions didn't. AFAIK none of the PS4 Musous have anything over their PS3/PSV counterparts other than visuals. ZSaber's numbers are a bit without context. Orochi 3 Hyper's tracking period is twice the length of DW8XL PS4's. DW8XL has already outsold Musou on Wii U in a shorter period of time. I don't expect tremendous legs from here on out for that one, but I don't think the games are "selling identically" on Wii U and PS4.

Well I had the release dates in the sales figures I posted, and honestly the Wii U numbers are typically only representing from their release until the end of 2013 as opposed to any 2014 numbers.

I'm not saying it's selling identically, but it's on a similar level so far. I realize Sony clearly seems to have some incentives in place (easy porting, likely support from Sony themselves monetarily, etc.), but it still seems like even third party successes on Nintendo platforms don't necessarily stay on Nintendo platforms. DQ9 was the best selling DQ ever yet it looks like the new entry might not quite grace the 3DS (even after the pretty good DQ 3DS support in JP)? Tales had its best performance ever in the West on the GC, and instead the Nintendo consoles only got a single sequel in the West because Graces turned out to be pretty buggy and b/c of their Sony Japanese audience. It just seems like Japanese developers love to flock back to Sony platforms and will try much harder there than anywhere else imo. I'm sure Sony makes it easier for them to do so, so they continue that route. It's just unfortunate that they can't at least try to please both markets and make everyone happy =(. I'm sure that's partly Nintendo's fault as well though.

Because a musou game selling well comparably poorly on a Nintendo or Sony platform doesn't significantly modify the brand equity of either.

Where do consumers expect FF, MGS, Tales, Yakuza, musou? Which platforms will enter purchase consideration consequently? How have these titles changed that? And therefore why should publishers change their considerations as a result.

crinale

Well I had the release dates in the sales figures I posted, and honestly the Wii U numbers are typically only representing from their release until the end of 2013 as opposed to any 2014 numbers.

I'm not saying it's selling identically, but it's on a similar level so far. I realize Sony clearly seems to have some incentives in place (easy porting, likely support from Sony themselves monetarily, etc.), but it still seems like even third party successes on Nintendo platforms don't necessarily stay on Nintendo platforms. DQ9 was the best selling DQ ever yet it looks like the new entry might not quite grace the 3DS (even after the pretty good DQ 3DS support in JP)? Tales had its best performance ever in the West on the GC, and instead the Nintendo consoles only got a single sequel in the West because Graces turned out to be pretty buggy and b/c of their Sony Japanese audience. It just seems like Japanese developers love to flock back to Sony platforms and will try much harder there than anywhere else imo. I'm sure Sony makes it easier for them to do so, so they continue that route. It's just unfortunate that they can't at least try to please both markets and make everyone happy =(. I'm sure that's partly Nintendo's fault as well though.

As for Bamco the Taiko rhythm game started off as PS2 franchise (to be more precise it was, and still is an arcade port), then moved to Nintendo platform. There's no sign of it returning to Playstation and I think it is quite a wise choice. Same goes to Level5's LBX, as its target audience seems to enjoy Nintendo platforms better (they did release a game to Vita to test the water, though). It really depends on the audience devs are trying to sell.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
As for Bamco the Taiko rhythm game started off as PS2 franchise (to be more precise it was, and still is an arcade port), then moved to Nintendo platform. There's no sign of it returning to Playstation and I think it is quite a wise choice. Same goes to Level5's LBX, as its target audience seems to enjoy Nintendo platforms better (they did release a game to Vita to test the water, though). It really depends on the audience devs are trying to sell.

I still find Level 5 and Namco the exceptions to the rule. Namco is pretty much the only third party (along with Tecmo) even making games for the Wii U. I really just want Tales from them on Nintendo consoles tho... they got me hooked (and a ton of my friends) with Symphonia and then just left...

Namco-Bandai Wii U games:
Wii Sports Club
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS
Kamen Battride 2
Kamen Summonride
Taiko Wii U
Taiko Wii U 2
One Piece Unlimited World Red
that Fujiko game?
Pokken Fighters (likely Wii U eventually)

Basically the franchises that stay with Nintendo platforms are for kids, families, or sold ridiculously well (see Monster Hunter, Layton, Inazuma so far). DQ stuck around for a while but it looks like they want to branch out again, RE comes and goes (although they ALWAYS make sure to port the game to a PS console), etc.

I still find Level 5 and Namco the exceptions to the rule. Namco is pretty much the only third party (along with Tecmo) even making games for the Wii U. I really just want Tales from them on Nintendo consoles tho... they got me hooked (and a ton of my friends) with Symphonia and then just left...

Wii Sports Club
Kamen Battride 2
Kamen Summonride
Taiko Wii U
Taiko Wii U 2
that Fujiko game?

Basically the franchises that stay with Nintendo platforms are for kids, families, or sold ridiculously well (see Monster Hunter, Layton, Inazuma so far). DQ stuck around for a while but it looks like they want to branch out again, RE comes and goes (although they ALWAYS make sure to port the game to a PS console), etc.

Don't forget:

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
And this game.
And they worked on Mario Kart 8 as well.

kubricks

26./00. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.09.04} (¥5.389) - 3.488 / NEW <20-40%>

The first one flopped and now this. lol Capcom.

StevieP

Banned
Because a musou game selling well comparably poorly on a Nintendo or Sony platform doesn't significantly modify the brand equity of either.

Where do consumers expect FF, MGS, Tales, Yakuza, musou? Which platforms will enter purchase consideration consequently? How have these titles changed that? And therefore why should publishers change their considerations as a result.

Thanks to the massive under performance of the ps4, why should Japanese publishers change their considerations for Japanese software to give it the automatic support sony platforms generally receive? That's a poor business decision, and if your own constantly and consistently presented logic still applies to your response, poor hardware and software Sales means that support shouldn't be there.
It should be places where stuff actually sells. Like 3DS and mobile.

Busaiku

I think this gen could be bad for Japanese publishers if the PS4 doesn't take off.
Of course they want it to, which is why they're putting games on it, but they're also hedging their bets since pretty much everything is multiplatform.

They failed to establish a presence on Nintendo's hardware, so rather than consumers moving onto that if PS4 continues to do poorly into next year, many of these franchises will likely die off, as most of Nintendo's console games have over the past year or so.
At this point, even moving onto 3DS or its successor might not do much, because there is definitely a consumer expectation/brand loyalty factor in play. It's why games like the Warriors or Tales do much better on Sony's hardware.

It's not just the hardware. The hardware is more a symptom of their positioning, than a cause.

It's their brand, as touched upon earlier by Opiate. And it's going to take a lot more than more powerful hardware or a token curveball game selling well to modify that brand perception towards one in consumer minds as a place where they can expect all their core games and in publisher minds where they can expect their core titles to sell well.
I know its not only hardware, but for third parties, the hardware definitely matters. Nintendo can't be left behind again on the third party games, these AAA western games are the core of the industry, they sell to all kinds of people.

Even if Nintendo succeeds right out of the gate next-gen, its meaningless if their hardware isn't friendly towards multiplatform. Big third parties are a much bigger than they have ever been, they know they don't need to develop for the console with the biggest userbase, they completely ignored the Wii despite its success and still manage to sell gangbusters.

Yes brand perception is the reason why third parties are needed more than ever, you don't want to be the only console to miss out on all of the third party AAA games.

Third parties are fickle, if the Wii was a tiny bit more powerful and could at least run the big budget games, they would not have missed out on any third party games, it was just impossible to do so. The longer they let this be and its been for a few gens now, the harder it is to get back proper third party support.

A console with all the big hitters and Nintendo's first party offering is an easy sell imo, it'll literally sell itself, in the same way the PS4 isn't doing anything special, its just a powerful console at a good price and they're really just selling to the same people who had 360s and ps3s last-gen because the full support of third parties is guaranteed and their favourite games will come, only a matter of time. The PS4 has everything consumers and devs want, not more, not less and its just basic needs like proper online/decent power/decent price. Its selling because its the most powerful next-gen hardware, which Nintendo could have capitalized on first since they had so much time to do watever they want after the Wii's success and how much it was still selling after years. Wii support dried up in the last few years and yet Nintendo still didn't have much to show for with the Wii U.

I seriously dunno why Nintendo went from low cost but weak Wii to high price and still weak Wii U and also launching so late and close to MS/Sony. If they're gonna be selling an expensive console, why the hell wouldn't you up the specs more? Early adopters don't wanna pay so much for a weak console and casual people don't wanna pay so much for a console with such a small library, so I'm not really sure who they were trying to sell to besides Nintendo fans. I mean their flagship game is essentially a Nintendo party game, In the end they didn't satisfy anyone with the Wii U besides Nintendo fans.

Nintendo really needs a successful launch next-gen, to give consumers and developers confidence, they have to force people to buy it, if consumers and devs don't jump on the Nintendo ship early on, you know they never will. Look how the PS4 is selling itself now, just because Sony had a successful launch. More than ever, companies are planning what they will support before the next-gen starts and Nintendo completely failed to convince developers to develop for the Wii U in addition to PS3/360 and then eventually transition to PS4/xbone. Its just baffling they had no real strategy coming into this gen, everything just seems so thrown out there at the last minute, which is the complete opposite to how they managed the Wii.

If MS/Sony is willing to pay for dlc or exclusivity even when they're already gonna get the game, why can't Nintendo shell out a bit of cash for the first installment of big third party franchises to also appear on Nintendo hardware? Its moneyhat in the sense that ur throwing money at third parties, but its not for exclusivity, its for the chance to prove to third parties that they can sell, if they tried to, and the money is just confidence/insurance that it will sell, they don't need to sell the most games, they just need to be part of the third party ecosystem. The Wii U could have been the first powerful next-gen console to come out and more people would have given it a chance had it also received third party games, those two factors and Nintendo first party could have changed its fortunes drastically. After that third parties will be more willingly want to develop for Nintendo since they have a foundation to build on but it is Nintendo that needs to get the ball rolling, they need to convince third parties, by now its clear Nintendo and third party dont give a shit bout each other but Nintendo is the one thats hurting from it.

In previous gens, new generations level-ed the playing field, but nowadays hype and loyalty is a big factor, sony/ms has a much bigger loyal fanbase than Nintendo, in that ps3/360/wii users are likely to upgrade to ps4/xbone while previous wii users have migrated everywhere else. Its a fanbase they can rely on forever, while the fanbase Nintendo had on the Wii was mostly casual users.

Nintendo needs to succeed in getting third parties back or they have to also start making more realistic looking games rather than the cartoon style they're known for, this uniqueness separates Nintendo from other platform holders and third parties and it helps them greatly when their hardware is a hit, but when their hardware is selling bad, this same uniqueness also gives them a bad rep.

edit: oh shit didn't mean to rant this much

Thanks to the massive under performance of the ps4, why should Japanese publishers change their considerations for Japanese software to give it the automatic support sony platforms generally receive? That's a poor business decision, and if your own constantly and consistently presented logic still applies to your response, poor hardware and software Sales means that support shouldn't be there.
Because the xbone/ps4 is selling well worldwide, coz consumers have expected those games to be on ps platforms, like it has been for the past few generations spanning multiple forms of hardware, because japan is no longer as important as europe/america, because where else are third party gonna make big AAA games on? Its clear developers know ps4 is selling slow in Japan, but thats not gonna change anything regarding their ps4 support, third parties know their big games will sell when it comes out, they really don't care how the ps4 is selling in the mean time, the western market is the one that matters.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
does it matter? it is obvious it is not going to go the dreamcast way in the long run especially when it is a success worldwide and japanese focused games start coming out next year.

We're in a sales thread so yes, it matters.

Sandfox

Well done to Level5 for picking themselves up when they were down. They shamed duckroll.
FFMmr.gif

If only others in Japan will take note. *cough cough SE cough cough*

Level 5 got lucky that the Yokai Watch anime became as big as it has and what they do wouldn't really work for a company like SE.

Eisenherz

Banned
Wait. XBOX ONE sold more than Wii U, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSTV AND XBOX 360 combined? How is that not a huge success?

/spinning

Home console market last gen was sitting at 24(ish) million units. Down a million and a half units from the gen prior.

I don't see much likelihood that the home console market exceeds 10 million units this gen. Probably under that by a few million units. At it's current pace WiiU could be at 3.2-3.5 million units heading into year six.

Considering the PS2 overlap, I'm not sure it really makes sense to split the games market into generations for comparison. It was after all part of the market at that time.

mao2

Fatal Frame is also another series that started on PS2 but is now exclusive to Wii and WiiU.

Wii Sports Club
Kamen Battride 2
Kamen Summonride
Taiko Wii U
Taiko Wii U 2
that Fujiko game?

Bandai Namco did release a number of Tales of titles for Wii, DS and 3DS after Tales of Symphonia, it's just that most of them weren't localized in the West. Also, why limit yourself to just Nintendo consoles? If you love Tales of and Warriors series, you really should consider getting a PS3.

If you didn't ignore everything I wrote then you'd be able to run through those questions and conclude that, no, consumer expectations haven't yet been impacted. Regardless of current hardware failings.

If you want to argue that the current hardware sales have so negatively degraded the brand equity and associations, such that those consumer expectations no longer apply, that's your prerogative I suppose. But I disagree.

extralite

Just a clarification here. &#22823;&#20154;&#12398;&#20107;&#24773; does not mean "grown up circumstances". That is not how the phrase is used in Japanese. It is the literal meaning of the characters but the phrase is used to saying "things I cannot talk about". His statement is that other than stuff he cannot disclose, in theory the cloud system would allow the game to be on any platform.

Thanks for pointing out the idiomatic usage which is a little more specific. But in the end it's not that different from what I said. Grown up circumstances, what is that supposed to mean? Things I cannot talk about. I definitely didn't narrow it down like that but it isn't excluded by what I said either.

I think there is a difference between "it doesn't mean that" and "it more concretely means this".

hongcha

Grown up circumstances, what is that supposed to mean? Things I cannot talk about.

Perhaps if you were talking to a child. But surely you can see that it would not mean that if you were talking to an adult.

It is an expression used as a pretext for not revealing something. Plain and simple.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Fatal Frame is also another series that started on PS2 but is now exclusive to Wii and WiiU.

Bandai Namco did release a number of Tales of titles for Wii, DS and 3DS after Tales of Symphonia, it's just that most of them weren't localized in the West. Also, why limit yourself to just Nintendo consoles? If you love Tales of and Warriors series, you really should consider getting a PS3.

I'm not sure why you include the 3DS, because while it got Tales of the Abyss (which sold 150K in Japan), they stopped there (we're finally get a Tales of the World iOS port 3 years later)? I'm not sure whether I'm a Warriors fan (I'll find out w/ Hyrule Warriors I guess), but I ended up playing through Vesperia on my roommate's 360. I'm just making a more general argument since while I could afford a PS3 and chose not to get one thus far (had enough games to play), many don't really have that choice.

L~A

Looks like X1 sold through 60% of its initial shipment.
Dead Rising 60%.
DQX 3DS : 90%, out of stock pretty much everywhere.

Please correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Source

Bruno MB

Looks like X1 sold through 60% of it's initial shipment.
Dead Rising 60%.
DQX 3DS : 90%, out of stock pretty much everywhere.

Please correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Source

Xbox One = 38.000 units shipped.

That's exactly the same figure Sinobi reported in case the blog was talking about the shipment data and not just a guestimation on its first week sales.

Wii Sports Club
Kamen Battride 2
Kamen Summonride
Taiko Wii U
Taiko Wii U 2
that Fujiko game?

We have been over the Tales series so many times in these threads.......everyone knows by now that the vast majority of sales comes from Japan and in Japan the series sells far better on Playstation home consoles.

The fan bases to RE, FF, Tales etc all expect and rightfully so the games to appear on PS and hence invest into the system. I mean if you're a Tales fan its pretty obvious which console is the one you should invest in.

Annual (FY) Home Console Hardware Shipments:

Code:
	Total	           Nintendo	      Sega	        Sony**	          NEC	         Matsushita	Microsoft      Pioneer	     Others

[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/home-videogame-machine-shipments-  rise-in-2001--313309"]2002 03[/URL]	7,710,000 (+52.1%) 1,620,000* (21.0%)   200,000 (02.6%)	5,640,000 (73.2%)  -	             -	        250,000 (03.2%)	  -	       -
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/sony-unit-leads-games-machine-  market-in-2000--275040"]2001 03[/URL]	5,070,000 (-06.8%)   200,000* (04.0%)   470,000 (09.2%)	4,400,000 (86.7%)  -	             -	            -	          -	      10,000 (00.1%)
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/videogame-machine-shipments-down-  111-in-fy-1999--225301"]2000 03[/URL]	5,440,000 (-11.1%)   940,000* (17.2%)   950,000 (17.4%)	3,550,000 (65.3%)  -	             -	            -	          -	      10,000 (00.1%)
1999 03	6,120,000 (-16.2%) 1,310,000  (21.4%) 1,050,000 (17.1%)	3,750,000 (61.2%)  ?	             -              -	          -	      20,000 (00.3%)
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/sony-heads-home-video-games-  market--144137"]1998 03[/URL]	7,300,000 (-20.2%) 1,330,000  (18.1%)   800,000 (10.9%)	5,010,000 (68.3%)  ?	             ?	            -	          -	     200,000 (02.7%)
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/games-console-sales-rise-628-in-  fy-1996--114375"]1997 03[/URL]	9,200,000 (+62.8%) 2,730,000  (29.7%) 2,300,000 (25.0%)	4,000,000 (43.4%)  50,000 (0.5%)  60,000 (0.7%)     -	          -	      60,000 (00.7%)
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/home-video-game-machine-shipments-  rise--85713"]1996 03[/URL]	5,650,000 (+06.8%) 1,860,000  (32.9%) 1,690,000 (29.9%)	1,700,000 (29.2%) 140,000 (2.5%) 250,000 (4.4%)	    -	          ?	      60,000 (01.1%)
[URL="http://www.telecompaper.com/news/nintendo-sees-share-of-video-game-  market-down-20--64463"]1995 03[/URL]	5,290,000 (+07.9%) 2,930,000  (55.4%) 1,010,000 (19.1%)	  800,000 (15.1%)  ?	             ?	            -	          ?	     550,000 (10.4%)
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118250312&postcount=417"]1994 03[/URL]	4,900,000	   3,650,000  (75.4%)   550,000 (11.5%)	   -	           ?	          40,000 (0.8%)	    -          42,000 (0.9%) 560,000 (11.4%)
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109677934&postcount=581"]1993 03[/URL]		           4,890,000	        480,000 	   -	          670,000     	     -	            -	          -	

*Excluding NES & SNES
** Production shipments, "1997 03" onwards include shipments to Asian countries and regions including South Korea.

Source: Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei)
Great work BKK, thx!

Neptunia dropped in line with the rest of the Vita spin-offs but is still a little lower than I was expecting. Was hoping for better given that it sold out last week!

I'm guessing this is the last we're going to see of Gaist Crusher. I can only imagine that GCG was a contractual obligation rather than anything else.

Home console sales... ehh. Vita isn't doing so hot either, although up YoY. It's going to be really interesting to see if it's up YoY by January, because last year had Vita 2000 and VitaTV and there's nothing to combat that this year. I think it's gonna be close!

mao2

I'm not sure why you include the 3DS, because while it got Tales of the Abyss (which sold 150K in Japan), they stopped there (we're finally get a Tales of the World iOS port 3 years later)? I'm not sure whether I'm a Warriors fan (I'll find out w/ Hyrule Warriors I guess), but I ended up playing through Vesperia on my roommate's 360. I'm just making a more general argument since while I could afford a PS3 and chose not to get one thus far (had enough games to play), many don't really have that choice.
I included 3DS because you said that Bandai Namco left Nintendo consoles after Tales of Symphonia. IIRC when Tales of the Abyss was released, 3DS wasn't doing that great, therefore they probably shifted focus to Vita. It didn't work out so now they're back. I think that they'll continue to release ports or spin-offs on 3DS (like what they did with PSP previously) while the mainline Tales of titles remain on home consoles.

You're right, not everyone can afford multiple consoles. But hey, that's life. We can't have everything, can we?

L~A

I think that they'll continue to release ports or spin-offs on 3DS (like what they did with PSP previously) while the mainline Tales of titles remain on home consoles.

Heh, they're not even doing that. One late port of an iOS game in 3+ years... it's pretty clear where their priorities lie for that particular series.

I'm still not sure why they decided to port that game to the 3DS to begin with. Not that it matters anyway, I'd be surprised if this game had even midly decent sales.

Fisico

Tales had its best performance ever in the West on the GC, and instead the Nintendo consoles only got a single sequel in the West because Graces turned out to be pretty buggy and b/c of their Sony Japanese audience.

Because it had almost the worst FW sales ever for a mothership title (only second to Vesperia which was released on an hardware with a 600k install base) and sold less than a shitty spin-off on PSP released 4 months earlier or even less than a half arsed sequel of Symphonia on the same hardware released one and half a year earlier you mean, the fact the game was buggy was only known after release.

(we're finally get a Tales of the World iOS port 3 years later)

It's a bit more than a port.

We have been over the Tales series so many times in these threads.......everyone knows by now that the vast majority of sales comes from Japan and in Japan the series sells far better on Playstation home consoles.

Yep, although Abyss 3DS did perform incredibly well in NA+EMEA considering it was just a port

Yep, although Abyss 3DS did perform incredibly well in NA+EMEA considering it was just a port

They really should have given the 3DS a second chance with a mainline port.

How much did Symphonia Chronicles sell ? I think Symphonia would have resonated with the Nintendo audience .

extralite

Perhaps if you were talking to a child. But surely you can see that it would not mean that if you were talking to an adult.
First of all, the part you're quoting doesn't relate very well to the point you're making. But to answer your point:

It doesn't really matter who you're talking to. Adults also keep a lot of habits they formed in childhood, like calling their parents mom and dad, or (in Japanese) refering to themselves as boku or call male friends by their name followed by -kun. Or they might be overly open and sincere even when that is not a good idea when discussing grown up matters.

An idiom often is clear in meaning without further explanation. Sometimes it isn't at all (wisdom teeth are not wise for example). This is somewhere in between, the abstract meaning doesn't contradict the concrete one or misleads. But obviously it is more clear in its narrow meaning.

It is an expression used as a pretext for not revealing something. Plain and simple.
Yes and nobody is disputing that. But that doesn't contradict the meaning of adult matters. You don't talk open about porn either, which is covered by the taboo aspect explained in the wikipedia article on the term.

We don't have this idiom, the Japanese do. That doesn't mean that for a Japanese speaker the idiom doesn't retain all its meanings.

The conflict of interest implied according to the Wikipedia article also would be covered by both relations with Nintendo or between DQ and FF.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
to me, this is the week we perfectly recognize the PS4 superiority (sales-wise) over the Wii U in the long term also in Japan.

Dengeki Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 52.789 / NEW <90%>
02./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 38.755 / 1.264.486 (-11%)
03./08. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 25.775 / 1.166.878 (-17%)
05./01. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 23.050 / 118.850 (-76%)
04./00. [XB1] Titanfall (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} - 21.570 / NEW
06./02. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (Atlus) {2014.08.28} - 13.919 / 95.431 (-83%)
07./00. [XB1] Kinect Sports Rivals  (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 11.905 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.09.04} - 10.985 / NEW <60%>
09./13. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} - 8.417 / 683.134 (-31%)
10./00. [XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 7.948 / NEW
11./14. [3DS] New Yoshi Island (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} - 6.589 / 177.046 (-39%)
12./21. [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} - 5.339 / 1.203.336 (-22%)
13./00. [PS3] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (KONAMI) {2014.09.04} - 5.314 / NEW
14./12. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 5.178 / 20.020 (-65%)
15./00. [XB1] Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 5.115 / 5.115
16./05. [PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} - 4.989 / 41.864 (-86%)
17./09. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.08.28} - 4.911 / 31.271 (-81%)
18./10. [3DS] Medarot 8: Kabuto Ver. (Rocket Company) {2014.08.28} - 4.881 / 21.870 (-71%)
19./11. [3DS] Medarot 8: Kuwagata Ver. (Rocket Company) {2014.08.28} - 4.376 / 19.582 (-71%)
20./18. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.08.07} - 4.145 / 125.239 (-50%)
21./17. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (SCE) {2014.08.21} - 4.067 / 42.392 (-56%)
22./00. [PSV] BinaryStar (Idea Factory) {2014.09.04} - 3.964 / NEW
23./23. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.06.26} - 3.959 / 171.907 (-39%)
24./19. [PS3] Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} - 3.922 / 27.294 (-49%)
25./15. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.14} - 3.728 / 98.908 (-64%)
26./04. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.2: BiBi (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} - 3.489 / 41.127 (-91%)
27./20. [PS4] Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} - 3.439 / 27.967 (-50%)
28./28. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} - 3.183 / 47.651 (-16%)
29./00. [PS4] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 3.056 / NEW
30./00. [PS3] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 2.869 / NEW
31./16. [PSV] Bullet Girls (D3 Publisher) {2014.08.21} - 2.859 / 43.837 (-70%)
32./00. [PSV] The Walking Dead (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 2.838 / NEW
33./06. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.1 Printemps (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} - 2.633 / 36.067 (-92%)
34./00. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God (Capcom) {2014.09.04} - 2.570 / NEW
35./07. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.3 Lily White (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} - 2.556 / 34.289 (-92%)
36./22. [PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2014.08.07} - 2.450 / 73.049 (-64%)
37./31. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 2.322 / 3.429.569 (-20%)
38./36. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} - 2.106 / 2.294.813 (-17%)
39./38. [3DS] Animal Crossing Tobidase (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} - 2.076 / 3.683.787 (-14%)
40./00. [PS4] Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} - 1.780 / NEW
41./33. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.04.24} - 1.778 / 256.935 (-34%)
42./35. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} - 1.717 / 95.784 (-33%)
43./00. [XB1] Ryse: Son of Rome (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 1.715 / NEW
44./26. [PS3] Sacred 3 (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.08.28} - 1.711 / 5.679 (-57%)
45./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 1.639 / NEW
46./44. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe Star (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} - 1.606 / 605.997 (-10%)
47./52. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} - 1.583 / 9.480
48./27. [PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G Beginner's Package (Capcom) {2014.08.13} - 1.539 / 30.302 (-59%)
49./43. [3DS] Mario Party Island Tour (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} - 1.412 / 425.928 (-25%)
50./24. [PSV] KissBell (Technical Group Laboratory) {2014.08.28} - 1.280 / 5.705 (-71%)

TOP50

3DS 16
Vita 11
PS3 9
XB1 5
PS4 5
Wii U 3
PSP 1

TOP3/PLATFORM

[3DS] Dragon Quest X Online (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 52.789 / NEW <90%>
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 38.755 / 1.264.486 (-11%)
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 25.775 / 1.166.878 (-17%)

[PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 23.050 / 118.850 (-76%)
[PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} - 4.989 / 41.864 (-86%)
[PSV] BinaryStar (Idea Factory) {2014.09.04} - 3.964 / NEW

[PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (Atlus) {2014.08.28} - 13.919 / 95.431 (-83%)
[PS3] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (KONAMI) {2014.09.04} - 5.314 / NEW
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.08.28} - 4.911 / 31.271 (-81%)

[PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.09.04} - 10.985 / NEW <60%>
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (SCE) {2014.08.21} - 4.067 / 42.392 (-56%)
[PS4] Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} - 3.439 / 27.967 (-50%)

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} - 8.417 / 683.134 (-31%)
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.14} - 3.728 / 98.908 (-64%)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} - 1.583 / 9.480

[XB1] Titanfall (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} - 21.570 / NEW
[XB1] Kinect Sports Rivals (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 11.905 / NEW
[XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 7.948 / NEW

SOFTWARE

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week  (%) |  FY 2014   | FY (%)  |
| 3DS   | 189.671   | 42.10%    | 6.352.133  | 47.40%  |
| PS3   | 71.980    | 16.00%    | 2.318.870  | 17.30%  |
| Vita  | 70.075    | 15.60%    | 2.320.634  | 17.30%  |
| XB1   | 51.969    | 11.50%    | 51.969     | 0.40%   |
| PS4   | 30.714    | 6.80%     | 516.500    | 3.90%   |
| Wii U | 21.459    | 4.80%     | 1.346.522  | 10.00%  |
| PSP   | 12.716    | 2.80%     | 435.665    | 3.20%   |
| X360  | 1.996     | 0.40%     | 67.774     | 0.50%   |
| Total | 450.580   | 100.00%   | 13.410.067 | 100.00% |

HARDWARE

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week  (%) |  FY 2014  | FY (%)  |
| 3DS   | 27.444    | 33.80%    | 755.939   | 42.70%  |
| XB1   | 23.487    | 28.90%    | 23.487    | 1.30%   |
| Vita  | 11.520    | 14.20%    | 387.319   | 21.90%  |
| PS4   | 6.653     | 8.20%     | 185.877   | 10.50%  |
| Wii U | 6.546     | 8.10%     | 223.571   | 12.60%  |
| PS3   | 5.332     | 6.60%     | 150.683   | 8.50%   |
| PSP   | 265       | 0.30%     | 42.327    | 2.40%   |
| X360  | 51        | 0.10%     | 3.030     | 0.20%   |
| Total | 81.298    | 100.00%   | 1.772.233 | 100.00% |

*FY 2014 refers to the period from April 1, 2014 through March 31, 2015

Dengeki Sales: Week 35, 2014 (Aug 25 - Aug 31)

Dengeki Sales Archive
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Holy fuck at Wii U, PS4 and Vita too according to Dengeki.

29./00. [PS4] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 3.056 / NEW
30./00. [PS3] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 2.869 / NEW
32./00. [PSV] The Walking Dead (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 2.838 / NEW

I wonder if SE is regretting their decision to try and fill the void left by CyberFront.

34./00. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God (Capcom) {2014.09.04} - 2.570 / NEW

lol jesus

Top Bottom