• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

Nibel

Road to TGS™.

Full list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-zF0jwT0Y1a3kcNbnRJYt323BgFtXwmAZHRF2vwzkZU/edit?usp=sharing

Project "S"
Platform: 3DS eShop
Genre: Action RPG
Publisher: Intergrow
Developer: MEBIUS
Special Notes:
-Article w/ screenshots: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/11060854.html
-At least I think it's eShop not 100% sure.

l_540d5b6772e5dgyjh6.jpg

That kind of looks like Suikoden

Or wait, maybe it doesn't? But I remember the art style of that game - it looks exactly like a PSX/SNES (?) game from years ago.

Edit: Okay, did a quick Google image search - this really looks like Suikoden 2's style.

haaicqW.jpg

If you really want to go down this route, putting games on the 3DS is also trying to lead consumers to a majorly declining platform gen over gen.

The growth area in Japan is mobile. To follow where consumers went, you would converge there, not on the 3DS.

If we start getting into "but" statements, we must acknowledge that there are relevant demographic, interface, and technological concerns that would inform platform choice beyond solely innate consumer interest in a device in and of itself, and that's before we even get into platform incentivization.

If we go that far, it's not hard to work out why we would start to see publishers behave in a way that doesn't always lead them to the platform that sells the most.

For example, let's take Yakuza. They tried multiple times to make a succesful spinoff series on the PSP, a vastly better selling system than the PS3, yet could not. A core issue here is that the audience for the product skews notably older than most Japanese series and the experience the target audience is after is a (relatively) high production value experience that feels more akin to the films the actors playing the parts might star in.

A title simply possessing the brand name of the series is not meaningful to them if it does not offer the experience they want. The added cost of getting a console isn't a major barrier to them as they're also a higher income demographic.

For Sega, switching the series to 3DS or mobile phones would simply lose them the audience they had. This is why they do not follow that route, as the income the series generates is notable enough to be worth investing in, even if the platform it's on is a smaller install base. Similarly they only put companion apps on the Vita as they only think an insufficient portion of their audience has interest in the device so actually targeting the game at it doesn't make sense, especially if it would simply shift what platform some of the audience is buying the game on instead of courting new customers.

This is what's exactly happening. All those "small" games that were released on DS and PSP have now converged in the mobile market. Puzzle-games, mini-games, and such, are basically almost all digital. Niche games are now basically just games targeted towards otaku.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, hypothetically, how would you think something like God Eater 2 would do on 3DS? I ask because we haven't really seen any successful MH clones on 3DS despite having over 3m playing that game. If I'm not mistaken, God Eater is a franchise that basically came about b/c of Monster Hunter and its success on the PSP right? I guess Final Fantasy Explorers is the closest we'll get (since the other attempts - Hero Bank & Gaist Crusher, failed hard, especially the latter).

Btw, hypothetically, how would you think something like God Eater 2 would do on 3DS? I ask because we haven't really seen any successful MH clones on 3DS despite having over 3m playing that game. If I'm not mistaken, God Eater is a franchise that basically came about b/c of Monster Hunter and its success on the PSP right? I guess Final Fantasy Explorers is the closest we'll get (since the other attempts - Hero Bank & Gaist Crusher, failed hard, especially the latter).

Sorry, but Hero Bank is not a MH-clone at all (it is a RPG), while Gaist Crusher is mainly targeted towards kids, while MH has a more general appeal.

The only MH-clone to appear on 3DS is basically FFEX. I guess Sony secured all the other games to PSV, in particular Soul Sacrifice (co-developed by SCEJ) and God Eater.

Anyway, I do think a MH-clone could perform really well on 3DS, as it happened on PSP, since the main series is there.

Sorry, but Hero Bank is not a MH-clone at all (it is a RPG), while Gaist Crusher is mainly targeted towards kids, while MH has a more general appeal.

The only MH-clone to appear on 3DS is basically FFEX. I guess Sony secured all the other games to PSV, in particular Soul Sacrifice (co-developed by SCEJ) and God Eater.

Anyway, I do think a MH-clone could perform really well on 3DS, as it happened on PSP, since the main series is there.

Wasn't One Piece Unlimited World Red a bit like that?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Isn't Attack on Titans a MH-esque title as well? And that sold pretty well.

duckroll

Sega will be announcing a new Hatsune Miku project on the first day of TGS (September 18).
http://tgs.sega.jp/pc/program/index.html?j=1

Thanks. I made a thread about the Sega TGS stuff in general. Wonder if Atlus will have anything P5 stuff to show at their stage event.

Isn't Attack on Titans a MH-esque title as well? And that sold pretty well.

Don't think that really counts, but if you think that does then it reflects poorly on the 3DS' ability to sell MH-like games. If a MH game based on one of the most popular franchises in Japan right now on the 3DS can't sell more than Freedom Wars on the Vita, that doesn't sound good.

PSP MH-likes which did well sold way better than that. Even Multi-Raid, which isn't considered a particularly good title, sold like 384k. God Eater and the Phantasy Star Portable games were like 600k titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Are we considering 274k for a 3DS game selling "really well" now?
Considering the quality of the game and expectations from retailers/the publisher..... Yes.

And it would have sold more if they could have shipped more copies before the shortages started.

duckroll

I'm not talking about the individual success the game has for whatever it is, but what it represents in the larger discussion of whether MH-like games can sell big numbers on the 3DS, like they did on the PSP. That was the crux of the discussion. Hence I don't think it's representative.

Mpl90

According to Japanltdrank (Famitsu)

[3DS] Attack on Titan: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa {2013.12.05} - 89,448 / 297,580.
Latest update for retail version: 2014.06.29
Latest update for digital version: 2014.03.02

It should be at least slightly over 300,000 now. It's possible that I've exaggerated a bit in saying it did "really well", but it's also true that it kept selling for quite a while.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm not talking about the individual success the game has for whatever it is, but what it represents in the larger discussion of whether MH-like games can sell big numbers on the 3DS, like they did on the PSP. That was the crux of the discussion. Hence I don't think it's representative.
Well yeah, selling around 300k 3DS is nothing that will get Bamco, Sega and Co. to put their MH clones on the 3DS, especially when the games wouldn't be exclusive.

At this point I would expect them to just wait for the 4DS so they can reuse their Vita/PS3 assets.

casiopao

Well, if u are talking on that. I think 3DS haven't been given the chance to prove itself till now here. There are almost 0 big hunting game title being released on 3ds except Mon Hun here. FF explorers is the only one I know here. If FF failed to success here, I guess Vita is indeed the best market for Hunting genre except for Mon Hun here.

duckroll

Well, if u are talking on that. I think 3DS haven't been given the chance to prove itself till now here. There are almost 0 big hunting game title being released on 3ds except Mon Hun here. FF explorers is the only one I know here. If FF failed to success here, I guess Vita is indeed the best market for Hunting genre except for Mon Hun here.

I agree. I was pointing out why it was not a good example to use. :p

Mpl90

Yeah, Final Fantasy Explorers is undeniably going to be interesting to watch, given the franchise, the release period and how it's even tied to the New 3DS.

casiopao

I agree. I was pointing out why it was not a good example to use. :p

Yup. But, how much do u think the game (FFEX) must do to show that 3DS is a good and viable market for the genre here?

Considering that 300k is small of course as Vita can also achieve that number. 500k? 600k? 1 million? As I am sure as hell that 1 million is almost impossible for FFEX here except if it is DQEX I guess?

And also I had the feeling that it is impossible for the third party companies to suddenly throw away their market on Vita just because one product success(example Mon Hun.) As I believe Nintendo would need to come out with more incentive here.

duckroll

I think 500k for FFEX would be a fairly good showing. I mean, honestly, we also have to look at the reality of the marketplace. It's pretty late in the 3DS lifespan, and aside from MH there hasn't really been a culture of multiplayer co-op action games on the platform. If FFEX can do 500k or more, then it shows that the audience was always there and would have been receptive to serious efforts to woo them. In the end though, I think it would only confirm the answer to that question, it still won't change anything. Publishers are a bit too invested at this point to bother switching things around in any serious way. Both the 3DS and Vita have made their beds and the ecosystem will likely remain similar for the rest of their lifespans.

Wasn't One Piece Unlimited World Red a bit like that?

One Piece and Toriko have something to say about that.

It had some elements but it was still a pretty traditional One Piece game of the Unlimited sub-franchise.

Toriko might count, of course, but I think the debate was more on hunting actions as new IPs or different takes of popular franchises not tied to anime (Phantasy Star on PSP, Final Fantasy on 3DS).

Well, it is the 40th best-selling 3DS game. Anyway, it was really supply constrained during holidays; it could have sold up to 400.000 units, with the right shipment.

I think 500k for FFEX would be a fairly good showing. I mean, honestly, we also have to look at the reality of the marketplace. It's pretty late in the 3DS lifespan, and aside from MH there hasn't really been a culture of multiplayer co-op action games on the platform. If FFEX can do 500k or more, then it shows that the audience was always there and would have been receptive to serious efforts to woo them. In the end though, I think it would only confirm the answer to that question, it still won't change anything. Publishers are a bit too invested at this point to bother switching things around in any serious way. Both the 3DS and Vita have made their beds and the ecosystem will likely remain similar for the rest of their lifespans.

I guess the presence of MH should be enough to guarantee a certain fanbase of this genre. A game like God Eater should not have any problem in selling 400k units on 3DS, with some chance in Western markets as well. But software houses should show some effort, because the first one is SQEX, 3 years after MH3G launch.

RalchAC

I guess the presence of MH should be enough to guarantee a certain fanbase of this genre. A game like God Eater should not have any problem in selling 400k units on 3DS, with some chance in Western markets as well. But software houses should show some effort, because the first one is SQEX, 3 years after MH3G launch.

It already does 400k on Vita and if they want to target the West the Ps4 is the best option.

Rage Burst is on the right platforms imo. Toukiden should follow suit, as should Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars.

It already does 400k on Vita and if they want to target the West the Ps4 is the best option.

Rage Burst is on the right platforms imo. Toukiden should follow suit, as should Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars.

Are we expecting Namco to localise God Eater 2 because its on PS4? I hope so.

Orgen

Not saying 274.000 is "really well" (it's not) but I think the days of MH clones selling 500.000-600.000 copies are over.

Now to make fun of me, PS Nova will sell 700.000 you'll see...

I think there might be some advantages by choosing 3DS over PSV: a bigger installed base might guarantee a more mass-market appeal (GE was selling over 600k units on PSP); 3DS development costs are cheaper; more sales from Western markets. I don't think PS4 is the best fit for a game like GE2.

Anyway, I would really like to see a serious attempt in doing a MH-clone on 3DS; I guess FFEX will tell us something more.

RalchAC

Are we expecting Namco to localise God Eater 2 because its on PS4? I hope so.

I'd say so. They're bringing more niche stuff lately and God Eater could sell decently here if things are done well.

Weren't there some rumours in the past about a GE animated series.

I think there might be some advantages by choosing 3DS over PSV: a bigger installed base might guarantee a more mass-market appeal (GE was selling over 600k units on PSP); 3DS development costs are cheaper; more sales from Western markets. I don't think PS4 is the best fit for a game like GE2.

Anyway, I would really like to see a serious attempt in doing a MH-clone on 3DS; I guess FFEX will tell us something more.

Well, the PSP version sold 200k. It didn't declined.

crinale

As for Toukiden it is Sony that made PSP exclusive game to PSP-Vita multiplat. KT clearly admitted that it would never happened without Sony's intervention. For GE2 I'm expecting something similar has happened (PSP exclusive to PSP/Vita multiplatform) though Namco hadn't officially confirmed anything.

In this regard if Nintendo does not approach third parties to release MH-esque games it won't happen, at least for a established franchises at Playstation. I'm guessing Sony went to "secure" existing games after they've lost MH to Nintendo.

Edit: The reason I'm guessing Sony has somewhat secured God Eater is that they are releasing PS4/Vita multiplat. Before Sony's conference I was expecting the ultimate version (well, it turned to out to be the "Rage" version) to be Vita/3DS multiplat instead.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
02./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 52.375 / NEW <95,53%>
___

21./05. [PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} (¥6.458)
22./17. [PS3] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} (¥5.184)
23./10. [PSV] Bullet Girls <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2014.08.21} (¥6.799)
24./23. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389)
25./18. [PS4] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} (¥8.424)
26./00. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.09.04} (¥5.389)
27./00. [PSV] BinaryStar # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.09.04} (¥6.264)
28./00. [PSV] The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥5.378)
29./00. [PS4] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥8.424)
30./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (New Price Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥3.024)
31./00. [PS3] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥8.424)
32./22. [PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV # <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309)
33./24. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800)
34./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
35./29. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)
36./26. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
37./27. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} (¥3.908)
38./43. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329)
39./32. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
40./47. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} (¥5.184)
41./41. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
42./00. [XB1] Ryse: Son of Rome <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2014.09.04} (¥7.452)
43./33. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
44./19. [PS3] Sacred 3 <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.08.28} (¥7.992)
45./00. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.980)
46./38. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
47./00. [PS4] Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104)
48./42. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)
49./46. [PS4] FIFA 14 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
50./30. [PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.08.13} (¥6.264)
00./00. [XB1] Software Sales 2014 <ALL> (All Publishers) {2014.09.04} (¥0) - 19.000 / NEW <74,00%>

Top 50

3DS - 16
PS3 - 10
PSV - 9
PS4 - 6
XB1 - 4
WIU - 3
PSP - 1
WII - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    464.000 |    696.000 |    483.000 | 25.403.000 | 28.016.000 |

duckroll

Not saying 274.000 is "really well" (it's not) but I think the days of MH clones selling 500.000-600.000 copies are over.

Now to make fun of me, PS Nova will sell 700.000 you'll see...

I do think there's been a decline in MH-like games this generation, but it's worth noting that God Eater 2 did sell 600k in total, so the audience is clearly still kinda there. It's certainly going to be much more challenging though.

I do think there's been a decline in MH-like games this generation, but it's worth noting that God Eater 2 did sell 600k in total, so the audience is clearly still kinda there. It's certainly going to be much more challenging though.

And there had also been a number of bombs on PSP as well: Frontier Gate, Lord of Arcana / Apocalypse, Valhalla Knights never reached high sales, and the expansion of the second Phantasy Star Portable was much frontloaded.

Comgnet Sponsored Post

Smash Bros 3DS joins the list of 3DS games with more than 1000 pre-order points! (all final, except MH4U)

Smash Bros 3DS - 1018pt ( ??? )
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1290pt ( 471,055 )
Youkai Watch 2 - 1430pt ( 1,281,096 )
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 1457pt ( ??? )
Pokémon XY - 2136pt ( 2,096,050 )
Monster Hunter 4 - 3872pt ( 1,875,115 )

The list above is just for fun, don't bother making comparisons. Puzzle & Dragons Z would be the most suitable game for that, but still not ideal.

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 836pt ( 534,782 )
Smash Bros 3DS - 1018pt ( ??? )

And two new bomba entries in the Top 20:

19. Forbidden Magna (3DS) - 17pt
20. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - 15pt

Wonderful 101 never charted.

duckroll

I'm always surprised when people can't seem to keep MH-likes straight. Frontier Gate is a turn based RPG with an encounter system. It's not even an action game! Valhalla Knights is more like a dungeon action rpg where you go through (bad) stages, collect treasure and fight enemies, and fight bosses. You have different classes with spells and stuff, and there's only 2-player co-op. The series started before MHP2 was even released! Lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Attach rates

NDS - 1,04
PSP - 1,06
360 - 1,07
PS3 - 0,82
WII - 1,80
3DS- 0,95
PSV - 0,92
WIU - 1,22
PS4 - 0,70 / 1,70
XB1 - 0,74

You know how it is, duckroll, if a the game has big monsters in it than its a MH clone. This is our generation's equivalent of calling every game with a swordsman MC a Zelda clone.

That would only be accurate if the Vita was dominated by spectacular AAA titles that were pushing it to its limit, and it clearly isn't. For the hunting games I'd say it's quite the opposite - Capcom is likely spending significant amounts of programming resources on squeezing in additional features on the 3DS, while Bamco and Koei Tecmo can produce nicer looking games with similar features for less effort on the Vita.

crinale

That would only be accurate if the Vita was dominated by spectacular AAA titles that were pushing it to its limit, and it clearly isn't. For the hunting games I'd say it's quite the opposite - Capcom is likely spending significant amounts of programming resources on squeezing additional features on the 3DS, while Bamco and Tecmo Koei can produce nicer looking games with similar features for less effort on the Vita.

Yeah at Famitsu or something I remember Capcom guy boasting how much time and effort they put on MH4 to make it look good.
If you don't spend too much time in optimization then it may look closer to FFEX :p

You know how it is, duckroll, if a the game has big monsters in it than its a MH clone. This is our generation's equivalent of calling every game with a swordsman MC a Zelda clone.

I guess the most important thing is how the game is marketed. VK was born before the MH boom, but the sequel and its expansion were released after that (2008 and 2009 respectively) and were marketed clearly to that audience (and failing to attract a sizeable amount of gamers). Frontier Gate was also promoted heavily as a MH-like game; visually, the game looks very similar.

In my opinion, the main feature that allows those games to be compared with MH is not really the combat system (action vs. turn-based, for example), but the local co-op mode; all of them, indeed, were marketed by focusing on this aspect. Of course, the setting played a big role as well (fantasy-like scenario with huge dragon-like monsters).

This is just my opinion, though.

duckroll

In my opinion, the main feature that allows those games to be compared with MH is not really the combat system (action vs. turn-based, for example), but the local co-op mode; all of them, indeed, were marketed by focusing on this aspect. Of course, the setting played a big role as well (fantasy-like scenario with huge dragon-like monsters).

Lol. Okay. So according to your logic DQIX and Dragon's Crown are all MH-like games because they have local co-op and have fantasy settings with big dragon-like monsters. Stuff like God Eater, Phantasy Star Portable, and Freedom Wars probably don't count because they're scifi settings instead and some don't even have dragons! Shit, I bow to you oh expert of Hunting games. :p

Mpl90

500,000 sounds like a plausible expectation for a good showing, indeed.

And yeah, if it does happen, it's not like we're going to see earth-shattering support shifting given when it's coming out. Especially considering the main reason hunting-action games aren't released on every platform: their main attraction is local multiplayer, so bringing a game right at the start on platforms of different hardware houses means splitting the audience. That's why we can see PS4/PS3/Vita versions of hunting games but not Vita/3DS: the former means being on platforms from the same company, i.e. multiplayer bases not being splitted.

So, what would a pretty good reception of FFEX imply? Probably a Final Fantasy Explorer G/Kiwami/Burst/whatever, another One Piece Unlimited World from Bandai Namco, and I don't see much else, on 3DS.

However, I think this kind of reception could actually make developers like Sega, Namco and Tecmo Koei that Nintendo platforms are receptive of hunting-games in general, not just Monster Hunter, and be there on 3DS' successor, along side Monster Hunter. I mean: the beginning of a generation is the period with the highest possibility of support changing, since it's a brand new start. That's when I'd expect to see more efforts from non-Capcom developers for hunting games on Nintendo platforms.

500k units would put FFEX among the best-selling FF spin-offs ever, along with Dissidia and Type-0 (Revenant Wings, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus were prequel / sequel).

Top Bottom