• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

Nibel

The sony tgs site leak suggests that the sales landscape could seriously turn toward sony from early 15 on..cant wait for tgs to happen!

Huh, why?

Japan will receive FFXV next year, and I assume that it will be released at the end of the year. Until then, not seeing anything that might push either Vita or PS4.

duckroll

Revelations really isn't anything close to an AAA game. It wasn't on the 3DS, and it definitely isn't as an episodic digital title on consoles. There's nothing AAA about it at all. Lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Resident is a AAA game, passing from 3ds exclusive to everything except 3ds, inckuding the direct competitor on the portable segment. And it is the sum of all the games, going toward sony as a unique entity, that outstands, imho

That really doesn't change the massive install base difference and fact the Vita isn't selling. I highly doubt they'll be a watershed moment for the Vita because there's no point, vita has found and stuck to it's niche anyone not interested in the 3DS, nor the niche the Vita sells will move onto mobile.

The times have changed and gone way past the point of any real resurgence. The Vita may pass the 3DS when it's dead but it's highly unlikely to massively grow in response.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It seems to me that, thanks to the sony ecosystem, every IP is going toward sony avoiding nintendo, despite the 3ds success

IMG-20140915-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20140915-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20140915-WA0032.jpg

let's flop together

OH MY GOD I need them

It seems to me that, thanks to the sony ecosystem, every IP is going toward sony avoiding nintendo, despite the 3ds success

I think if RER2 is going to be on Vita its because it can actually handle the game without out to much compromise and porting it was easy from PS3.

Celine

Revelations really isn't anything close to an AAA game. It wasn't on the 3DS, and it definitely isn't as an episodic digital title on consoles. There's nothing AAA about it at all. Lol.
It definitely was on 3DS, some of the best production value for the system ever.

duckroll

It definitely was on 3DS, some of the best production value for the system ever.

AAA doesn't mean "best production value for a platform". It refers to major blockbuster releases by big publishers with huge marketing behind them. Basically tentpole releases. Revelations had nice production values for a 3DS game, but it certainly wasn't a Monster Hunter 4 or a Resident Evil 6 for Capcom. :p

You mean like the series that have been on Sony regardless, and conveniently ignoring the big IPs still on 3DS? Seems strange to think so.

Celine

AAA doesn't mean "best production value for a platform". It refers to major blockbuster releases by big publishers with huge marketing behind them. Basically tentpole releases. Revelations had nice production values for a 3DS game, but it certainly wasn't a Monster Hunter 4 or a Resident Evil 6 for Capcom. :p
AAA means the publisher invest higher than average for the creation and release of the game.
For 3DS standard RER is definitely an AAA production.

AAA means the publisher invest higher than average for the creation and release of the game.

That just adds a whole bunch of qualifiers. If you want to talk about AAA on handhelds Monster Hunter is a good example especially with all the marketing thrown at it.

duckroll

I don't think so. AAA 3DS games are stuff like Smash, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter. RER isn't remotely comparable in terms of investment in marketing and importance for the publisher.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think if RER2 is going to be on Vita its because it can actually handle the game without out to much compromise and porting it was easy from PS3.

Have you seen the game? MT Framework mobile up-rez. Clearly it was doable by the 3DS.
Btw, I'm the best in inflate energy into MC threads!

@duckroll: that's a GOOD one!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess I would consider Resident Evil Revelations AAA for the 3DS, but not a flagship title.

Similarly I'd consider Dead Space 3 a AAA game even if it's much smaller than Battlefield 4, since we are still talking $30+ million development plus $20-$30 million in marketing even if that isn't $50 million in budget and $80 million in marketing.

This is why we've seen terms like AAAA emerge since there's a difference between RE:R and Harvest Moon, but also RE:R and Monster Hunter.

Unless we are talking about retailer AAA and not publisher AAA.

the only thing that can give it the AAA title is the fact that its called resident evil, but its definitely not a AAA game.

If you say its AAA for the 3DS, so why isn't it also considered a AAA game for PS3/360 etc.

I guess I would consider Resident Evil Revelations AAA for the 3DS, but not a flagship title.

Similarly I'd consider Dead Space 3 a AAA game even if it's much smaller than Battlefield 4, since we are still talking $30+ million development plus $20-$30 million in marketing even if that isn't $50 million in budget and $80 million in marketing.
Wasn't it originally a psp game that got moved to 3ds?

Darius

Banned
The sony tgs site leak suggests that the sales landscape could seriously turn toward sony from early 15 on..cant wait for tgs to happen!

Resident is a AAA game, passing from 3ds exclusive to everything except 3ds, inckuding the direct competitor on the portable segment. And it is the sum of all the games, going toward sony as a unique entity, that outstands, imho

Don´t know why a further port of an already known multiplattform title announced some weeks ago should be such a "game changer" in the sales landscape. In fact a further port to a largely overlapping ecosystem of Sony systems will just lead to a further split in sales, which for sure won´t be a huge advantage neither for PS4 nor PSV.

Sony actually has to make some bold moves if they don´t want PSV to suffer a year-on-year decline next year in my opinion, a revision or a pricedrop to 15k yen seem to be two of the very few possibilities right now., because the software other than updated versions of updated versions of Monster Hunter clones and the x-th Musou game seems to be rather thin especially if you want to reach new audiences to be honest.

Mario007

I don't think so. AAA 3DS games are stuff like Smash, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter. RER isn't remotely comparable in terms of investment in marketing and importance for the publisher.

I think the problem with the 3DS is that it only really has those monster games like Smash, MH or Pokemon and then mid-tier AA games. I wouldn't call Pokemon or MH AAA titles. I think stand much higher than a regual AAA title on the system. Just like in the West it'd be foolish to compare Killzone to CoD or Sleeping Dogs and GTAV and say that both are on the same level. What I'm trying to say here is, that there are some games which just dominate the market so much that simply calling them AAA is doing a diservice to them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the only thing that can give it the AAA title is the fact that its called resident evil, but its definitely not a AAA game.

If you say its AAA for the 3DS, so why isn't it also considered a AAA game for PS3/360 etc.

Thematically Resident Evil PSP's two loose details match Operation Raccoon City much better, and Slant Six was a notable PSP developer.

Celine

RER isn't remotely comparable because it couldn't guarantee the return of those franchise.
But sure as hell it wasn't a cheap game to produce compared to the average 3DS output.
I always intended the AAA term as the money publisher was willing to spend in the production/release of a game, regardless how well it sell in the end or if most of the budget was spent in the marketing or development.

Was Shenmue an AAA production for DC? Sure regardless it didn't sold as well as Sega hoped.
Was Just Dance an AAA production for Wii? Looking at how much Ubisoft marketed the game I would say yes.

EDIT:
Of course usually the money a publisher is willing to invest in a game is directly tied to the expected return the game will generate.

Because the average budget for produce games on 3DS is different (lower) compared to PS3/Xbox 360

No, but it wouldn't change my reasoning.

Atram

Wait what? Dragon Quest Heroes doesn't look like it has a big budget. I guess the advertising costs might make up for it.

I was talking about MGSV, FFXV and KH3. You know the Japanese games with massive budgets.

An AAA title is intended to demonstrate the very best within a gaming company or franchise.

From Wikipedia

AAA dont´t need a big budget to be a AAA Game.

The reason is, Persona 5 wouldn´t be a AAA by your explanation but Persona 5 is a AAA Game for Atlus.

Because the average budget for produce games on 3DS is different (lower) compared to PS3/Xbox 360

No, but it wouldn't change my reasoning.
Yeah but its the same game on the 3ds as it was on the ps3/360, had they started on ps3/360 and ported to 3ds it'd still be the same game, so I dunno why the AAA moniker gets changed depending on which platform it comes out on. Budget isn't the only reason why a game is considered AAA.

duckroll

RER isn't remotely comparable because it couldn't guarantee the return of those franchise.
But sure as hell it wasn't a cheap game to produce compared to the average 3DS output.
I always intended the AAA term as the money publisher was willing to spend in the production/release of a game, regardless how well it sell in the end or if most of the budget was spent in the marketing or development.

Was Shenmue an AAA production for DC? Sure regardless it didn't sold as well as Sega hoped.
Was Just Dance an AAA production for Wii? Looking at how much Ubisoft marketed the game I would say yes.

The way I view it, AAA is basically "cream of the crop" in terms of development and marketing budget (especially marketing), and those are expected to be the company's biggest hits for the year. A game with above average production values doesn't mean it qualifies for that. It can be a bigger game with higher expectations, but not quite AAA.

From Wikipedia

AAA don't need a big budget to be a AAA Game.

The very first sentence from Wikipedia lol:

In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion

I don't need to consult wiki either. Its widely known AAA means big budget and lots of advertising.

AAA is the top tier in those fronts.

Nibel

So is Capcom abandoning Nintendo now after the release of Monhun 4G for Sony/Vita?

Monster Hunter 5 will come to Vita, because a) good userbase and b) Monster Hunter 5 = Monster Hunter V = Monster Hunter Vita

Capcom coming home basically

Celine

The way I view it, AAA is basically "cream of the crop" in terms of development and marketing budget (especially marketing), and those are expected to be the company's biggest hits for the year. A game with above average production values doesn't mean it qualifies for that. It can be a bigger game with higher expectations, but not quite AAA.
Yeah, I can agree with your definition.

Pretty much this. I think sales is the best judgement of whether a game is AAA or not.

People are quick to say a game with high production values or high budget is AAA but if the game bombs then is it really a AAA title? Likewise a low budget game can breakout and become a AAA game. Call of Duty had the same production values and budget as many other games, the only reason why its considered AAA is because it actually sells.

AAA games are meant to be a big deal, if we start labeling anything as AAA, then the title will lose meaning. AAA games are pretty much system sellers and so the title has to be earned, a game isn't AAA just because you throw money at it.

Darius

Banned
From Wikipedia

AAA dont´t need a big budget to be a AAA Game.

It´s like the term "hardcore-gamer" that actually has a far more wider meaning, than just playing violent games. The problem is that this reduced meaning has been the mainstream (media) opinion in the past years.

The same with "AAA". The term AAA mainly refered to high-quality games and was neither bound to "production-values", big budget, high-marketing nor success and was also relative to the system it was released, which lead to AAA handheld, console or PC games in the past. That was the defintion from gamers and reviewers alike, in the past years many use it as a success-investment-indicator, basically as a buzz-word like blockbuster, which at best is far more from the perspective of a publisher.

duckroll

Anyway, regardless of arguing about the specific meaning of labels, I think the general point we can agree on is that Revelations isn't really hot stuff at this point. The sequel is definitely a much lower profile release by Capcom.

- Really short announcement to release turnaround
- Minimal marketing
- Episodic release focusing on digital distribution
-
Looks like crap

Anyway, regardless of arguing about the specific meaning of labels, I think the general point we can agree on is that Revelations isn't really hot stuff at this point. The sequel is definitely a much lower profile release by Capcom.

- Really short announcement to release turnaround
- Minimal marketing
- Episodic release focusing on digital distribution
-
Looks like crap
- Only 4 episodes
- No mention of Raid/Mercenaries
- Budget price $40

I never asked for this. :(

Top Bottom