• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I think on a basic level it's a $25 digital game that has an alternate retail option that's still budget priced, so RER2 is definitely a lineup filler game.

It's also part of Capcom's digital revenue push, but still padding around the flagships.

The huge AAA Japanese IP's (the few that exist) are all on PS4. AAA means budget.

I was meaning that 3DS still has the best-selling (by far) games in Japan; e.g. IPs like YW and MH.

Resident is a AAA game, passing from 3ds exclusive to everything except 3ds, inckuding the direct competitor on the portable segment. And it is the sum of all the games, going toward sony as a unique entity, that outstands, imho

Revelations 2 doesn't look like an AAA game; it is also spread across many platforms (the most relevant in Japan are PS3, PS4 and PSV).

I can't see a "Sony as a unique entity". 3DS still has the best-selling games in Japan, and lot of niche games that you don't consider probably because you don't know. I mean, there are stuffs like Aikatsu (the last one sold 250k units on 3DS) or Popolocrois (a well-known IP) that people never mention but are probably more commercially relevant that 90% of PS4/PSV games.

Spiegel

Damn, that's pretty nuts.

I wonder what the major factor of Smash's JPN success is? Marketing? People who know the franchise? People who recognize the characters? Thirst for the new?

It's a new Smash Bros released on the biggest userbase for a Smash game ever. 3DS is at 11M more consoles sold than the Wii was when Brawl got released.

And I'm sure the local multiplayer and buying multiple copies vs one are also playing their part.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
White Cat Project (the smartphone game that looked kind of like a DS action RPG) has now hit 12 million downloads, maintaining its place as the fastest downloaded smartphone game in Japanese history.

Serkantoto said:
Since launch, mainly through early TV ads, White Cat Project has grown at an unprecedented speed, as can be seen in the overview below:

1 million downloads on July 24
2 million on July 30
3 million on August 3
4 million on August 7
5 million on August 8
6 million on August 14
7 million on August 18
8 million on August 21
9 million on August 25
10 million on August 30
11 million on September 8
12 million on September 10

To be fair, smartphone penetration in summer 2014 is much higher than in early 2012 (when GungHo Online Entertainment (3765) launched Puzzle & Dragons), for example. Still, these are incredible numbers.

Colopl says it’s not only TV ads and other marketing tools that help White Cat Project grow this quickly but also generous in-app presents the company currently distributes to users logging into the game.
Source: http://www.serkantoto.com/2014/09/13/colopl-3668-white-cat-shiro-neko-project/

----

As far as new games go, I didn't see anything else.

Don't think this is in Famitsu, but Dungeon Travelers 2-2 just got announced for Vita.
http://aquaplus.jp/dt2countdown/

Thanks.

Takao

Banned
laugh now but someone else will do the laughing when MH explore and breath of fire 6 are announced for Vita !!!!!

: (

Tomorrow we find out if the Xbox really is dead. If it dips below 10k its possibly exception would be low sales across the board. Then the limit would be 6k.

Tomorrow we find out how much smash does fir the 3DS. If sales dont double then they better start rethinking their strategy at nintendo.

Tomorrow we will find out if any of Sony announcements brought up sales for the PS4. If its still sending 5k or so well, PS4 won't be moving much in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
laugh now but someone else will do the laughing when MH explore and breath of fire 6 are announced for Vita !!!!!

: (

You know me so well. :D

On that note I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few more mobile + something else announcements at TGS since a lot of mobile games are announced at the show itself.

Jamix012

If it sales around another 25k or over 10k that may not be the case.

Share your predictions then, do you think Xbox One will break 500k LTD?

Tomorrow we find out how much smash does fir the 3DS. If sales dont double then they better start rethinking their strategy at nintendo.

It's a case of bad timing, honestly. The New 3DS not launching with Smash was a mistake as it could hold back hardware sales.

Scum

Where's my MiiOS announcement, Iwata? 😒

Yeah I think on a basic level it's a $25 digital game that has an alternate retail option that's still budget priced, so RER2 is definitely a lineup filler game.

It's also part of Capcom's digital revenue push, but still padding around the flagships.

Is this Capcom's "12-18 months" game production at work...?

Scum

Cant be any predictions until tomorrow.

7MHUV.gif

Road

http://www.falcom.com/kaisya/ir/pdf/140916_01.pdf

Falcom raised earnings forecast due to strong retailers order of Sen no Kiseki II and continued sales of the previous game in both Japan and rest of Asia, as well as good Western sales of Ys Memories of Celceta.

Maybe they'll get the 500k they wanted, combining SnK and SnK II...

Released last week. Indication are it sold out in a couple of stores at least.

Oh I agree, just saying that the Destiny bundle makes that a certainty. I'm expecting PS4 to outsell Xbone's launch week at the very least this week. Hoping for a 40-50k numbers actually. (Not that I would think Destiny itself is gonna push it, but rather the new color).

Destiny bundle is probably 10k units. Be ready to light up fireworks if the PS4 crosses 20k. SmokyDave could teach you a thing or two.

edit: Tsutaya says PS4 sales tripled on their stores. http://mantan-web.jp/2014/09/16/20140916dog00m200022000c.html

Jamix012

Just for the sake of it, I felt like I would post some predictions for some oftomorrow's numbers.
3DS - 45,000 (held back by the incoming n3DS)
PS4 - 19,000
Xbox One - 7,000

Man, I still can't believe and am sad that Marvelous has not announced any Wii U games ever. Only exception is the random involvement in Mario & Sonic Sochi, only makes sense since they also worked on Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz on Vita.

I mean, WHERE IS OUR HARVEST MOON U MARVELOUS? :(

Harvest Moon has always been around the corner on a Nintendo home console.

Speaking of Super Monkey Ball...

That too. :'(

Salex_

Man, the super organized sales data at the bottom of the first post is so good.

So Mario Kart 8 caused the Wii U to sell 19k for the first week. It would be pretty encouraging if a big cross-gen western new IP can cause the PS4 to sell around the same amount (or better).

Lets say for example last week 3rd sold 40 million due to strong sales of smash etc. Then the N3ds came out the day of last weeks MC.

So tomorrow in this scenario, I would bet the 3DS would sell 20 million and the N3ds would sell 20 million.

Basically I dont think n3ds will increase 3ds sales, just become a carnivor. This will especially become the case once more exclusive games/features release.

Lets say for example last week 3rd sold 40 million due to strong sales of smash etc. Then the N3ds came out the day of last weeks MC.

So tomorrow in this scenario, I would bet the 3DS would sell 20 million and the N3ds would sell 20 million.

Basically I dont think n3ds will increase 3ds sales, just become a carnivor. This will especially become the case once more exclusive games/features release.

So you don't think a meaningful number of people who already own a regular 3ds would ever upgrade? Because every exclusive game or feature is a new reason for someone to upgrade. It can't sell systems to people who don't care about the games, but upgrades are still anet increase in sales.

Top Bottom