• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

Aters

Sure, and I think the impression is a lot of projection. I'm trying to figure out why people have this odd impression. There's nothing special about the reveal at all. Nothing was emphasized. It was a throwaway announcement at the end of a stage event for the mobile game.

Maybe it's because Bamco NA uploaded the video so people think the devs have the western market in their mind.

I don't think God Eater has to change all that much in terms of gameplay to work better on console. I need to play more GE2 to get a proper feel of it, but I've noticed that the level design seems to be better suited to console than Toukiden Kiwami, or even Monster Hunter.

The main issue with the series is that, obviously, its main audience is on Vita, which is a system that pretty much only has 12-18 months of life left in it. Unless Namco can get GE players to move to PS4 or find another handheld to put it on, it's going to be marooned in the centre of a dead system. Buried alive, buried alive...

Powwa

Dead product line, meaning no successor. Vita may be doing fine for now, but it will taper off. And Sony's line of handhelds will die with it. Meaning any software that targets it and whose audience is on the Vita will either have to transition elsewhere, maybe have slight genre shifts or just simply disappear altogether.

That's what Nirolak is saying. Sure Vita is doing okay now. But what about in 2018? Companies have to make decisions now for later software.

Well we don't know what Sony will do yet. I believe they will have something similar to NX, a portable that can play PS4/PS5 games but with lower graphics/resolution. That way they wouldn't have to worry about splitting the developers to make portable/home console games and still make a profit out of handheld market since it's viable in a smaller scale. Their biggest game market is still Vita in Japan so it would be weird to just abandon that ship all together. Dedicated handhelds are all but done but I can see them trying this way.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
"Square Enix have just announced Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional for Nintendo 3DS releasing on 9 February priced at 5,670 yen."

Hm... so what is the new content here? According to the teaser, it looks like there are more monsters? Maybe to address the complaints of a lot of recolors?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

new releases

{2016.09.21}
[3DS] One Piece: Daikaizoku Coliseum <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.700)
[3DS] One Piece: Daikaizoku Coliseum (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.700)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥9.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.000)
[PSV] Maji-Kyun! Renaissance # <ADV> (Broccoli) (¥5.980)
[PSV] Maji-Kyun! Renaissance (Limited Edition Kyun Kyun Box) <ADV> (Broccoli) (¥7.980)
[WIU] Fist of the Hiryu II: Dragon no Tsubasa _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Culture Brain) (¥475)
[WIU] The Adventures of Bayou Billy _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Konami) (¥475)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥9.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.000)
[PS4] Valentino Rossi The Game <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.980)
[PS4] Valentino Rossi The Game (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.389)
[PS4] Destiny: The Collection <Destiny \ Destiny: The Dark Below \ Destiny: House of Wolves \ Destiny: The Taken King \ Destiny: Rise of Iron> <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥6.900)
[PS3] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.800)
[PS3] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥9.800)
[PS3] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.000)

{2016.09.22}
[PSV] Astraea no Shiroki Eien: White Eternity <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥7.800)

{2016.09.23}
[PSV] Astraea no Shiroki Eien: White Eternity (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.800)
[XB1] Forza Horizon 3: Ultimate Edition <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥10.900)
[XB1] Forza Horizon 3: Ultimate Edition (&#949;) _Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥10.400)
___

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Persona 5 < 45k (average 40k)
02. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro < 40k (average 30k)
03. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro < 30k (average 25k)
00. [3DS] One Piece: Daikaizoku Coliseum < 25k (average 20k)

Oregano

Well we don't know what Sony will do yet. I believe they will have something similar to NX, a portable that can play PS4/PS5 games but with lower graphics/resolution. That way they wouldn't have to worry about splitting the developers to make portable/home console games and still make a profit out of handheld market since it's viable in a smaller scale. Their biggest game market is still Vita in Japan so it would be weird to just abandon that ship all together. Dedicated handhelds are all but done but I can see them trying this way.

That's not really feasible and probably won't be for many years. The gulf between peak mobile and the modest specs of the PS4 is still big and x86 really isn't suited to mobile/portable. Only Intel was pushing for it but now they're fabbing ARM chips as well.

Also that's a poor debut for One Piece compared to both DBZ: Extreme Butouden and One Piece Grand Battle X.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I notice you've been saying this 'dead product' stuff for at least a year in these threads...and yet the system sales continue to be stable, new colours were announced, and multiplatform Vita releases frequently outperform PS4 versions.

Sure, it's hard to know what its future is like as phones have become more powerful and the NX looms. But isn't it time for people to admit that it hash't been a dead console, just a still viable platform left at sea by what was a then-ailing Sony who had to make hard decisions about investment capital? People on the internet have been saying "LOL deadfail" for years and yet here we are coming up on its 5th anniversary and it's selling just as much as it was last year, with no replacement to kill it off in sight.

Dead product line, meaning no successor. Vita may be doing fine for now, but it will taper off. And Sony's line of handhelds will die with it. Meaning any software that targets it and whose audience is on the Vita will either have to transition elsewhere, maybe have slight genre shifts or just simply disappear altogether.

That's what Nirolak is saying. Sure Vita is doing okay now. But what about in 2018? Companies have to make decisions now for later software.
Yes, they can't just simply wait for the PSP3 to come out some day and have a 100% straight forward business strategy forever.

I mean, if you're forwarding that the Vita will still be selling well enough in 2020 or 2025, then sure, they'd never need to be concerned about moving off of it, but that'd be pretty much unprecedented.

Takao

Banned
Also that's a poor debut for One Piece compared to both DBZ: Extreme Butouden and One Piece Grand Battle X.

It's inline with what Burning Blood did earlier this year individually. I guess the audience for One Piece fighters has just completely died.

The cross-play with Extreme Butouden makes me think it's a literal re-skin of that game lol.

Fisico

The last original Tales game on PS2 was Abyss and that sold like 700k on the PS2.

Original SKU stopped at 556k, additional 150k came more than two years after with the budget version.
If we combine with budget SKU three to four years after the original releases then the comparison with Zestiria (whose budget rerelease on PS4 had a pretty decent start btw) and Berseria simply are not fair yet.

Like Datschge said they're rather stable sellers.

IIRC ToB is actually the first Tales game to be available digitally in Japan.

Well the second if you count Zestiria PS4 :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
COMG weekly

1) PS4 persona 5 (Normal Edition) - 366 pt
2) PS3 Persona 5 (Normal Edition) - 142 pt
3) PS4 Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition - 108 pt
4) PS4 Winning Eleven 2017 - 59 pt
5) PS3 Winning Eleven 2017 - 41 pt
6) PS4 Dragon Quest Heroes and the king of II twins end of prophecy - 33 pt
7) PS3 Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition - 25 pt
8) 3DS specter watch 3 Sushi - 21 pt
9) 3DS specter watch 3 tempura - 14 pt
10) Vita Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 13 pt
11) 3DS in an ultra-combat ultimate Shinobu and Battle player showdown at the summit! - 13 pt
12) PS4 over watch Origins Edition - 12 pt
13) 3DS Dragon Ball Fusion's - 12 pt
14) 3DS Pokemon omega ruby - 11 pt
15) PS4 Tales of Beruseria - 9 pt
16) 3DS Mario & Sonic AT Rio Olympics - 9 pt
17) WiiU MINECRAFT: Wii U EDITION - 8 pt
18) 3DS Pokemon alpha sapphire - 8 pt
19) 3DS Pazudorakurosu dragon of chapter - 8 pt
20) PS4 Rainbow Six Siege - 7 pt

randomkid

I don't remember if COMG tracking is still useless or not but if you were going to compare those Persona numbers to something, what were the final numbers for Berseria's release?

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Persona 5 - 366
    [*][PS4] Persona 5 - 142
  2. [PS4] Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition - 108
  3. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 - 59
  4. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 - 41
  5. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End - 33
  6. [PS3] Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition - 25
  7. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi - 21
  8. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Tempura - 14
  9. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 13
  10. [3DS] Chou Sentou-chuu Kyuukyoku no Shinobu to Battle Player Choujou Kessen! - 13
  11. [PS4] Overwatch - 12
  12. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions - 11
  13. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby - 9
  14. [PS4] Tales of Berseria - 9
  15. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 8
  16. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 8
  17. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 8
  18. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter - 8
  19. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - 7

Preorders
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 895
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 243
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories - 54
[PS4] Yakuza 6 - 38

A little month before release and there are no SKUs of neither World of Final Fantasy or Berserk on the comgnet charts, despite it having 4 SKUs of the new Sword Art Online that's relasing the same day.

&#332;kami;217301760 said:
A little month before release and there are no SKUs of neither World of Final Fantasy or Berserk on the comgnet charts, despite it having 4 SKUs of the new Sword Art Online that's relasing the same day.

I don't know if the previous games were a hit on COMG, but Macross Delta Scramble is also missing.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I don't remember if COMG tracking is still useless or not but if you were going to compare those Persona numbers to something, what were the final numbers for Berseria's release?

Is useless if you don't know how use it. Otherwise, it's good to get an idea of how is the trend.

For example, a Tales / Persona comparation make no sense, but since you asked it...

[PS4]Tales of Beruseria - 371pt
[PS3] Tales of Beruseria - 237pt

barybll

Banned
Is useless if you don't know how use it. Otherwise, it's good to get an idea of how is the trend.

For example, a Tales / Persona comparation make no sense, but since you asked it...

[PS4]Tales of Beruseria - 371pt
[PS3] Tales of Beruseria - 237pt

Just now I realized
Berseria didn't have a special edition?

Square2015

COMGNET Historical - 10 weeks from release:

FF12 - 1,043
FF13 - 677
FF15 - 243
FF13-2 - 136
FF13LR - 106
FF10|10-2HD - 22

Reservations for FFXV went up by only 1 this week.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
02./00. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
03./00. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
04./00. [PS3] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
05./00. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
06./00. [PS3] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
07./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
08./04. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
10./05. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
11./00. [PS4] BioShock: The Collection <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
12./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
13./08. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./09. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./12. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
16./13. [3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
17./00. [3DS] Chou Sentou-chuu Kyuukyoku no Shinobu to Battle Player Choujou Kessen! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
19./14. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
20./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 19)

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 (Grotesque Version) <ACT> (Capcom)
02./14. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
03./20. [PS4] FIFA 17 (Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
04./09. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./10. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
06./15. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (Double Pack) <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
07./22. [PS4] Utawarerumono: The Two Hakuoros (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aquaplus)
08./00. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./12. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
10./13. [PS4] Yakuza 6: Poetry of Life <ACT> (Sega)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 37 2016

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
02./00. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
03./00. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
04./00. [PS3] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
05./00. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
06./00. [PS3] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)

07./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
08./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
09./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [3DS] Chou Sentou-chuu Kyuukyoku no Shinobu to Battle Player Choujou Kessen! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
11./01. [PS4] Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
12./08. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
13./04. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./07. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
15./10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
16./09. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./06. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./19. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix)
19./12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
20./20. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)

Do we have any indication how much Persona 5 shipped on day-one?

According to blogs, bigger shipment than Tales of Berseria.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How much garbage Tales did Bamco managed to ship this time anyway?

Hey! The game is good apparently. :p

Like... Better than Tales of Xillia/Xillia 2/Zeshitiria

Fisico

So I guess we can expect a <400k shipment for P5? Unless they restocked significantly over the weekend?

Maybe <350k even ?
I mean if the shipment was closer to 400k wouldn't the wording be "significantly bigger" ?
Not used to what the blog is saying but that's my two cents.

A >300k FW seems very likely at this point.

Oregano

It's inline with what Burning Blood did earlier this year individually. I guess the audience for One Piece fighters has just completely died.

The cross-play with Extreme Butouden makes me think it's a literal re-skin of that game lol.

God to wonder why they even bother then. Even an Extreme Butouden 2 probably would have been a better move.

u_neek

Looks like P5 may double P4's FW sales if we include digital. The game is getting a great reception, so hopefully it will be somewhat leggy as well.

Finally a franchise that isn't in decline!

Nice it should get to 500-600k domestically (with digital and best rereleases) and with west it has real chance to reach a milion of sales

Fisico

Speaking about franchises that does not suffer from decline, I remember that besides Persona we struggled to find another (relevant) one in Japan so what are the expectations for DanganRonpa V3 ?

The original game ended up around 80k then the budget rerelease sold 130k which makes for a total of 210k.
Second episode sold 100k on PSP also.

Then we've got the compilation on Vita which sold 110k+ and Another Episode, a spin-off, which basically sold the same.

With V3 releasing on PS4/PSV what should be the expectations?

It's not as big as Persona but it does strike me as an IP which has been rather well managed, didn't have a main entry for a long time (a generation and four and half a year) had anime/ports/spin-off that were overall well received and helped grow awareness for the brand

With that said >100k FW and >150k LTD should be a lock but I think it could be higher so my question is "how much" and if it fits into the same mold than Persona.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Speaking about franchises that does not suffer from decline, I remember that besides Persona we struggled to find another (relevant) one in Japan so what are the expectations for DanganRonpa V3 ?

The original game ended up around 80k then the budget rerelease sold 130k which makes for a total of 210k.
Second episode sold 100k on PSP also.

Then we've got the compilation on Vita which sold 110k+ and Another Episode, a spin-off, which basically sold the same.

With V3 releasing on PS4/PSV what should be the expectations?

It's not as big as Persona but it does strike me as an IP which has been rather well managed, didn't have a main entry for a long time (a generation and four and half a year) had anime/ports/spin-off that were overall well received and helped grow awareness for the brand

With that said >100k FW and >150k LTD should be a lock but I think it could be higher so my question is "how much" and if it fits into the same mold than Persona.

If that's the points, it may also be a 300k seller lifetime with digital.

DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload 2013 Spike-Chunsoft 76,172 / 160,100
DanganRonpa: Another Episode 2014 Spike-Chunsoft 70,596 / 117,280

(includes budget re-release for Another Episode).

AE kinda collapsed, presumably due to although being fanservice, was a bit of an ehh game. Whereas 1-2 Reload has had fairly decent legs (I'd imagine it'll probably be having some, even if it's not charting, at the moment thanks to the anime).

V3 should easily pass 200k given how the IP has grown.

duckroll

And the reason is?
check how long passed since P4 and you find the answer

That's not a very good reason. In fact, in most cases, franchises which let too many years go by without another substantial new entry will experience decline from dwindling interest. The fact that Atlus managed to keep the Persona brand alive and expand it further without having a new entry of Persona for a whole console generation, says a lot.

Take Star Ocean for example. Compare how long it was between Star Ocean 4 and Star Ocean 5. What happened there? Bombaaaa.

Yes, they can't just simply wait for the PSP3 to come out some day and have a 100% straight forward business strategy forever.

I mean, if you're forwarding that the Vita will still be selling well enough in 2020 or 2025, then sure, they'd never need to be concerned about moving off of it, but that'd be pretty much unprecedented.

You know, I think my head got what you were going for, but my heart said "fingers, type it anyway. It must be said."

Although since the Walkman, portable entertainment devices seem to be a part of Sony's DNA. At least they seem to feel so. I'm not entirely sure we've seen the last dedicated handheld from them - even if it's just something that's designed as a premium delivery device for PS NOW, possibly as part of their phone line.

MacTag

Banned
If GE3 does skip Vita I wonder if Bandai Namco would consider porting GE Online to it instead? PSO2 did pretty great on the system.

What could it be attributed to than? Persona 5 probably won't be too far from outdoing the LTD of one of the earlier iterations (I forget which) in the first week. What explains that growth in a sea of major decline?

What could it be attributed to than? Persona 5 probably won't be too far from outdoing the LTD of one of the earlier iterations (I forget which) in the first week. What explains that growth in a sea of major decline?

Appropriate management of the IP?

There's budget behind it; doesn't appear rushed out; keeps series elements which fans like while adding things to help it appeal to a wider audience (new setting). Releasing on consoles which should cover all all potential buyers (PS3's expanded userbase and PS4's growing userbase).

Surprisingly, I can't think of many games that tick all these boxes these days.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
&#332;kami;217301760 said:

Berserk screamed bomb from the moment it was announced. Second failed collaboration in a row and this time it will be worse.

Just like numbers of Attack on Titan willl look high for Berserk Final Fantasy Explorers numbers will look high for World of Final Fantasy.

Persona 3/4 was also still a growth period for the franchise. It's really only in the past 4-5 years that we've seen Persona mature as a multimedia IP, ticking all the boxes of anime, spin-offs, etc and we see a fanbase that has been nurtured since P4 till today.

So the sales achieved by P3/P4, even with the healthier install base on PS2, imo is not reflective of the hypothetical peak of the franchise for the Japanese market.

What Persona 5 achieves though... I think that will be the approximate peak potential of what Persona can achieve in the Japanese console space. Persona 6 may not necessarily do worse, but I don't think a Persona 6 will do significantly better than Persona 5.

Aters

Haha. All the GE talks made me so curious so I just bought GE1 and GE2. These games really don't look very good, and even if the new tease is just a cut scene, it's still a better looking cut scene.

Hellraider

It's an amalgamation of many things. First is the consistent high quality of its previous two games had. Persona 3 and 4 left almost every single person that played them (a lot) more than satisfied. There are many bigger or smaller design choices that help in that. The setting being probably the most major one. Not doing any questionable design choices also helps. Japanese games lately are some of the biggest offenders in the industry.

Secondly is franchise branching. This came in many ways, from making a portable version of these two games, to making quality spin offs in completely different genres and even completely different platforms (PQ) to multimedia products (anime/manga etc) and probably more. There is fine line between milking and therefore ruining your franchise and actually expanding and somehow Persona managed to fall in the second category.

Thirdly is the waifu culture. For better or for worse, whether we think Persona is an offensive or a non offensive example is another matter, but this characteristic plays a big part in the franchise. What is worth noting is that Persona is a lot less vulgar and a lot more subtle and PG friendly when it comes to this. This has definitely played a positive part in it because the opposite direction might have hit the right cords for a niche fanbase, it would obliterate any mainstream success.

Oregano

Berserk screamed bomb from the moment it was announced. Second failed collaboration in a row and this time it will be worse.

Just like numbers of Attack on Titan willl look high for Berserk Final Fantasy Explorers numbers will look high for World of Final Fantasy.

That would be pretty bad. WoFF is internally developed right?

Atlus managed the persona IP very good .
Yes it take really long to get another main line title but there has been spin off games , anime series \movies etc etc .
There were really smart with how they grow the IP and it's paying off for them .

FluxWaveZ

It's also remarkable in Atlus' case because they had to go through a bunch of stuff like developing their own engine, Index blowing up, the Sega acquisition, Persona 4: Dancing All Night's original developers being put aside, etc. Hashino's mentioned in recent interviews that there were times when the team was uncertain and that it got to the point where they were scared P5 might never even come out, but it all worked out, in the end.

Top Bottom