• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

Vena

is this the week we will be getting PS 4 Slim sales numbers? have we got any retail impressions on how well it did?

I think in past, on launch of new console or some big game, number use to be given by Famitsu on Monday. Have they stopped this practice?

Outside of first day sell through for a title, we don't generally get much else unless it blows everything out of the water or craters. In that regard, P5 did around what was in general expected by both us and retailers. No unexpected demand or over supply. Which is always good.

As for the Slim. We didn't hear anything with the last price drop and we didn't hear much this time either, so... probably about as much affect as the last time all in all.

But we'll know in about six hours.

Vena

Hmm... the blog seems to be hinting a hardware selling less than 50K.

Well only two options, [2DS+3DS] or [PS4]. The former... seems unlikely to have gotten anywhere near that number considering what the 2DS is and that this isn't its first time to rodeo. But I'd also be surprised at the latter.

horuhe

Aquaplus announced that Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro has sold a total of 130K copies on PS4, PS3 and Vita.
http://aquaplus.jp/uta/oro/#special

What? Only counting pre-orders? Because the game is only around eight hours in the market. What a great result!

EDIT: This is the ad at 109.
o46Xz6p.jpg

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales (Sept. 12 - 18)

The dream is dead. The electric mouse has killed all the rats/mice in the house...

Nintendo 3DS

(+1) 01. Pokémon Yellow Version: Pikachu Special Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(-1) 02. Sabaku no Nezumidan (Arc System Works) [02.9.2016]
(=) 03. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(=) 04. Pokémon Red Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(B) 05. Justice Chronicles (Kemco) [13.1.2016] [on sale until September 28th]
(B) 06. Cube Creator 3D (Arc System Works) [15.7.2015]
(+1) 07. Pokémon Blue Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(-1) 08. Battleminer (Starsign) [10.2.2016]
(=) 09. Pokémon Green Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(B) 10. Alphadia (Kemco) [09.12.2015] [on sale until September 28th]

Wii U

(=) 01. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016]
(N) 02. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) [15.9.2016]
(-1) 03. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft Japan) [17.12.2015]
(-1) 04. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [02.9.2016]
(-1) 05. Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square-Enix) [30.3.2013]
(-1) 06. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2013]
(=) 07. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(=) 08. Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) [10.9.2015]
(B) 09. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(-4) 10. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/c370d887-7b3e-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

Oregano

Well only two options, [2DS+3DS] or [PS4]. The former... seems unlikely to have gotten anywhere near that number considering what the 2DS is and that this isn't its first time to rodeo. But I'd also be surprised at the latter.

It has to be 2DS(+3DS) otherwise it means the slim didn't make up for the sales lost due to lack of stock over the last few weeks. That'd be pretty shockingly bad.

Fisico

What? Only counting pre-orders? Because the game is only around eight hours in the market. What a great result!

Yes, I also remember that last year they were quick to tell the number of 100k+ shipped shortly after release so the sequel already sold more, that's surprising.

duckroll

Maybe people are really waiting for the pro? Or Sony are trying to push this to happen with limited stock of the slim?

That goes against their heavy slim marketing plan in Japan. The Persona and FF bundles are both slims, and the Pro is more expensive than the previous base PS4. It is clear that for Japan the slim is intended to be their big price drop play.

It has to be 2DS(+3DS) otherwise it means the slim didn't make up for the sales lost due to lack of stock over the last few weeks. That'd be pretty shockingly bad.

This logic never made sense to me. Why does the Slim have to make up everything in its first week? It could serve the purpose of increasing the baseline for a while. That being said, 50k would be disappointing.

duckroll

This logic never made sense to me. Why does the Slim have to make up everything in its first week? It could serve the purpose of increasing the baseline for a while. That being said, 50k would be disappointing.

It should make up for it logically if the demand is still there. The reason there was a huge drop off isn't because people were just waiting for the slim, stock supplies for the regular PS4 ceased to exist prior to the Slim launching. So it just makes logical sense that people who couldn't buy it in the past two weeks would be buying the unit when it is next available, especially at a lower price.

A launch of a new model in these situations generally results in a high launch to make up for built up demand, as well as an increase in the baseline. It should be both, not either or.

Aki-at

EDIT: This is the ad at 109.

Was wondering what that game was walking around, looked very cool.

Surprised to see so many copies of Persona 5 was still available to purchase, didn't seem to be selling out but ancedontal and all that! Guess Atlus must have restocked fairly quickly.

Bebpo

Banned
It's really dumb releasing Pro 6 weeks separate than slim whether it effects it much or at all. I get they wanted Slim out before P5 and FFXV's original launch date, but it just adds a lot of confusion with 2 different units debuting so close but not at the same time. Should've tried to get the Pro out early and just launch them both on the same day as high end/low end options.

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/akibas-beat-ps4-launches-december-15-japan-ps-vita-version-delayed

I haven't seen a tonne of interest in Akiba's Beat, but this is certainly one way to torpedo the game. Despite the userbase difference, Akiba's Trip 2 sold a lot more on Vita than PS3. The PS4 version was a late port and is on the lower end of that already low range.

Well then. Maybe the Akiba's team at Acquire got really pissed that no-one bought their improved PS4 version of the game, so they didn't bother with doing the Vita version.

Lol, but more seriously, that's one way to tank your game isn't it? Who's going to pay full retail price for an inferior late port when there's tonnes of cheap PS4 copies knocking around. It's a reverse Ys VIII at least, I guess.

Fisico

Lol, but more seriously, that's one way to tank your game isn't it? Who's going to pay full retail price for an inferior late port when there's tonnes of cheap PS4 copies knocking around. It's a reverse Ys VIII at least, I guess.

People who rather play on a handheld than on home consoles (and may not own a PS4), even with inferior ports on Vita we've seen that it still made up for the majority of the sales.
Now a late Vita release is a first, but there's no way it will have a good impact on the sales, PS4 won't be up that much and it will probably only result in lost PSV sales.

@Bebpo : I don't think Sony Japan cares about the Pro, also the model is just a more powerful version of the hardware and is thus more expansive that's a rather straightforward message I don't really see what's confusing.
Now if they were to release PS4 Pro only game I would have understand, but that's not gonna be the case in the coming years and even if it happens you can assume that by then the PS4 vanilla would've been killed of (talking about a 2020 future there)

Hmm... the blog seems to be hinting a hardware selling less than 50K.

I'm thinking PS4. I just don't see it making up lost sales or the Slim having a massive impact.

Edit: I think it'll have a fairly muted sales week this time around but will make up for it with a slightly higher then usual baseline for a little bit.

Unreal Engine 4 has never been used for Vita so far, has no documentation and the first instance of it being used will be Bloodstained ported by Armature... which probably hasn't even started development yet.

No doubt this one isn't for Vita. Shame, but Compile Heart have had a good run of spinoffs on the handheld. Kinda makes sense for them to go PS4, since they'll still get the otaku fanbase buying the games in Japan and then can just port straight to PC for the western release.

If these PS4 Slim sales drop like a stone after last/this week, I'm just saying that Sony better have that Vita Pro on standby.

viHuGi

Banned
If these PS4 Slim sales drop like a stone after last/this week, I'm just saying that Sony better have that Vita Pro on standby.

By March 31st, 2017 Ps4 sales will be at >60m WW, that´s a record for Sony i guess so i don´t think Sony will be losing sleep over Japan, we all know Japanese market is all about Smartphones and handhelds, i expect NX to surpass Ps4 over there within a year and half.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
By March 31st, 2017 Ps4 sales will be at >60m WW, that´s a record for Sony i guess so i don´t think Sony will be losing sleep over Japan, we all know Japanese market is all about Smartphones and handhelds, i expect NX to surpass Ps4 over there within a year and half.

Nintendo would be completely fucked if it doesn't (or rather their hardware business would be).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm thinking PS4. I just don't see it making up lost sales or the Slim having a massive impact.

Edit: I think it'll have a fairly muted sales week this time around but will make up for it with a slightly higher then usual baseline for a little bit.

The problem is that PS4 was selling with a ~20k basis, and it got shortages for 3 weeks.

That's alone should get a big impact this week. But with this, add that there is a new model, and a pricedrop.
And the release of Persona 5, with a bundle too.

I mean last year it sold 55k with a limited red edition and Metal Gear, if this week can't be higher than that i considere it a big flop.

Oh sweet summer child, you think Sony cares that much about Japan?

This was great :D

Oh sweet summer child, you think Sony cares that much about Japan?
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese console sales (I'm an expert), but 3rd party support and portable systems are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by selling a home console. If you screw Japanese 3rd parties over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by releasing a handheld.

What this means is the Japanese public, after not buying the PS4 Slim, is not going to want to purchase Sony home consoles, nor will the otaku purchase any PS4 games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and release a Vita Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

The problem is that PS4 was selling with a ~20k basis, and it got shortages for 3 weeks.

That's alone should get a big impact this week. But with this, add that there is a new model, and a pricedrop.
And the release of Persona 5, with a bundle too.

I mean last year it sold 55k with a limited red edition and Metal Gear, if this week can't be higher than that i considere it a big flop.

This was great :D

Fair enough, those are solid points. Let's see how the numbers are in a couple of hours.

The PS3 Slim was released in september 2009, 30 000 ¥, few months before FFXIII, with a shitty Gundam.
The PS4 Slim was released in septembre 2016, 30 000 ¥, few months before FFXV, with Persona 5.

CsOWB5QXYAE9Xk9.jpg:large

duckroll

Another data point:

PS3 LTD the week before the Slim was released: 3.2 million
PS4 LTD the week before the Slim was released: 3 million

Also PS3 Slim came out almost 3 years after PS3 launch while PS4 Slim is 2 years and a half after PS4 launch (or did I screw something in my simple math calculations?)

DKHF

Chû Totoro;217597274 said:
Also PS3 Slim came out almost 3 years after PS3 launch while PS4 Slim is 2 years and a half after PS4 launch (or did I screw something in my simple math calculations?)
You're pretty much right, PS3 slim came 2 years and 10 months after PS3's launch, PS4 slim has come 2 years and 7 months after the Japanese launch. So it came 3 months earlier in Japan than for PS3.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 96,433
2DS 18,754
New3DS LL 15,808
Vita 12,931
New3DS 3,047
Wii U 2,703
PS3 1,099
3DS 425
Xbox One 156
3DS LL 106

Persona 5: 337k
Persona 5 (PS4): 264k
Persona 5 (PS3): 72k

Vena

Everything as expected then. Nothing seems close to that 50k so that's a weird number in hindsight. Unless it was somehow meant as <50Kx2?

noobie

Banned
a bit below expectation for PS4 Slim. Was expecting more sales from it especially after the last 2 weeks of lost sales.
Will be interesting to see what is the new floor of PS4 sales in next 6 - 12 months.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
a bit below expectation for PS4 Slim. Was expecting more sales from it especially after the last 2 weeks of lost sales.
Will be interesting to see what is the new floor of PS4 sales in next 6 - 12 months.

Well, PS3 version performed def below expectations as far as I'm concerned, so that's the culprit right there but at least the split is healthy, good riddance (ps3),
PS4 Slim is at least 30k short of where I would've thought I'd see it launch at, especially after the last few weeks of "missed sales" for the old model, and you can be sure people there aren't waiting to drop more cash on a premium model, the two target markets likely don't have a significant impact on each other's sales... of course all if that is just my own 2 cents aka thoughts from my brilliant as... mind.

Top Bottom