• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Pretty solid XV2 sales considering how long its been out on PS4 already - not bad. Def. not the last DB game on Switch thats a given.

I think most have been expecting a Fusions sequel on Switch anyways.
I do wonder if XV3 will launch on Switch alongside the PS4 and Xbox One, and on the other side of the coin I wonder if the inevitable Fusions sequel will also release on PS4 and Xbox One.

MTC100

Banned
Breath of the Wild still holding on but it doesn't really sell great. Splatoon 2 is still at almost 100% Attach Rate with every new Switch sold, makes you wonder if they sell the system primarily with Splatoon 2 in a bundle but I guess Japan is just crazy for the game.

fortunato

Banned
Wouldn't the DB test be total WW shipments? If I'm not mistaken 3DS DB games always sold more than PS3/4 DB games in Japan but the latter were much bigger outside of Japan thus them getting continued support.

Either way I anticipate all future games will be PS4/X1/Switch no matter how good or bad DB XV2 does on switch.

True. It is easy to sell more than 0 copies ;)

To be fair, a couple of 3DS DB games were released in the West, but they were hardly advertised and promoted.

L~A

I remember when I stated in a MC thread that I thought MK8DX would end up outselling MK8 many were sceptic.

I do remember discussions about MK8D yeah, even I wasn't expecting MK8D to catch up that soon.

17./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700) - 3.704 / 236.114 (-8%)

Damn this game... starting to believe it's going to end as the leggiest game of the year at this point.

Refyref

10./00. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! # <STG> (5pb.) {2017.09.07} (¥7.800) - 7.044 / NEW
11./00. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! # <STG> (5pb.) {2017.09.07} (¥7.800) - 7.000 / NEW

IIRC, this game should be tagged <ADV>. There was a shooting game that was given as a pre-order bonus, but the actual game itself is a visual novel.

ggx2ac

Might I suggest that you try looking at other types of graphs to use to convey that data in an easier way to understand.

Maybe there's a type of bar graph you'll notice that can show the growth or decline of a handful of games' attach rates in a way that could be much more easier to look at and understand.

Sometimes it's better to not use so much data, depending on what you are showing. It might be simpler to get your point across with a couple of lines of on a line graph rather than a dozen.

I understand what you're doing, you're gathering a lot of data and sticking it all onto a graph. But that's not exactly how you handle data when you want to be able to present it to someone so that they understand what you are talking about.

If you want to just record and show lots of data, you just put it onto a table. There's no need to make a graph of it.

Last comment, don't forget to label your Y-axis and X-axis. I know it's related to Attach Rates (%) and Time (Weeks), but other people randomly seeing it for the first time may not catch on as quickly.

Nintendo EAD#2 has some insane results in Japan. They turned Animal Crossing into Nintendo best selling IP there and Splatoon into a killer app (with a normally unpopular type of game and a very new IP). Congrats to them.

Zedark

Might I suggest that you try looking at other types of graphs to use to convey that data in an easier way to understand.

Maybe there's a type of bar graph you'll notice that can show the growth or decline of a handful of games' attach rates in a way that could be much more easier to look at and understand.

Sometimes it's better to not use so much data, depending on what you are showing. It might be simpler to get your point across with a couple of lines of on a line graph rather than a dozen.

I understand what you're doing, you're gathering a lot of data and sticking it all onto a graph. But that's not exactly how you handle data when you want to be able to present it to someone so that they understand what you are talking about.

If you want to just record and show lots of data, you just put it onto a table. There's no need to make a graph of it.

Last comment, don't forget to label your Y-axis and X-axis. I know it's related to Attach Rates (%) and Time (Weeks), but other people randomly seeing it for the first time may not catch on as quickly.
Thanks for the feedback! I have in fact been looking at working more with the change per week instead of the absolute attach rate as some lines hardly show change. I will think a bit about maybe ejecting some data (for example 1-2-Switch, as it didn't chart on regular basis anyway) or breaking it up into two or more graphs, about using clearer (bar) graph types to present it, and how to transition to, or add to the mix, changes per week.

DrGrus

What? These charts have been saying the exact opposite for a while now.

This week there is in total 6 switch games in the top 20. The five games that is not splatoon 2 sold 55578 copies in total or 1.22 games per sold switch.

It is unclear how many games is sold digitally but to me the data indicates that switch seems to be moving software.

Thanks for the feedback! I have in fact been looking at working more with the change per week instead of the absolute attach rate as some lines hardly show change. I will think a bit about maybe ejecting some data (for example 1-2-Switch, as it didn't chart on regular basis anyway) or breaking it up into two or more graphs, about using clearer (bar) graph types to present it, and how to transition to, or add to the mix, changes per week.

Adding a 100k-line (or 1M-line) to the current graph would help a lot already, because the slope of that line should be the same as any game that didn't chart in a certain week. Each week, games with a steeper (decreasing) slope than the 100k-line have a declining attach rate, while those with a 'positive' slope compared to the 100k-line have an increasing attach rate.

noshten

MK8 DX vs MK8 (next week)

MK8 finished it's first year on the Wii U with 880K.
MK8D could be over 1 million before December. I'd expect something close to 1.2 million for the year, still a far cry from my original prediction but definitely good growth for the game in Japan.

Best Seller game Summer 2017

Should overtake PS4 version before SMO is launched and 3DS version mid November. It will be difficult to surpass both versions combined this year but not impossible.

I made a table showing the launch sales and attach rate of all Switch games that made it into the Media Create chart. The Switch is doing great and so does its software, the first-party games in particular. I hope/think this provides a nice overview of how successful games (both first-party and third-party) have been so far on the Switch.

If people are interested, I'll keep updating the table with new releases in the coming weeks/months.

Code:
+--------------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------+--------+---------------+---------------+--------+
|                       Game                       |  FW sales |FW hardware|   %AR  | Final week SW | Final week HW |   %AR  |
+--------------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------+--------+---------------+---------------+--------+
| Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch      |    24.045 | 1.623.475 |  1,481 |               |               |        |
| Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon         |     4.463 | 1.578.036 |  0,283 |               |               |        |
| Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver.          |    84.277 | 1.527.962 |  5,516 |       124.207 |     1.623.475 |  7,651 |
| One Piece: Unlimited World R - Deluxe Edition    |     4.652 | 1.527.962 |  0,304 |               |               |        |
| Splatoon 2                                       |   648.085 | 1.196.986 | 54,143 |     1.101.481 |     1.623.475 | 67,847 |
| Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star                    |    10.247 | 1.196.986 |  0,856 |               |               |        |
| Cars 3: Driven To Win                            |     3.220 | 1.196.986 |  0,269 |               |               |        |
| LEGO City Undercover                             |     5.351 | 1.039.825 |  0,515 |               |               |        |
| ARMS                                             |   100.652 |   991.659 | 10,150 |       218.111 |     1.623.475 | 13,435 |
| Seiken Densetsu Collection                       |    29.564 |   926.659 |  3,190 |        37.728 |       991.659 |  3,805 |
| Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers   |    16.404 |   903.135 |  1,816 |        21.139 |       926.659 |  2,281 |
| Mario Kart 8 Deluxe                              |   284.823 |   777.252 | 36,645 |       683.214 |     1.623.475 | 42,083 |
| Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker                       |     7.447 |   700.573 |  1,063 |               |               |        |
| 1-2-Switch                                       |    79.536 |   329.152 | 24,164 |       242.742 |     1.436.031 | 16,904 |
| Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch   |    25.606 |   329.152 |  7,779 |        41.419 |       519.504 |  7,973 |
| Puyo Puyo Tetris S                               |    12.854 |   329.152 |  3,905 |        17.323 |       391.150 |  4,429 |
| Super Bomberman R                                |    36.623 |   329.152 | 11,126 |        97.123 |     1.097.987 |  8,846 |
| The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild          |   186.379 |   329.152 | 56,624 |       580.552 |     1.623.475 | 35,760 |
'Final week' means the last week we've seen the particular game chart. '%AR' means Attach Rate at the time.
All data from Media Create.

Fiendcode

I think most have been expecting a Fusions sequel on Switch anyways.
I do wonder if XV3 will launch on Switch alongside the PS4 and Xbox One, and on the other side of the coin I wonder if the inevitable Fusions sequel will also release on PS4 and Xbox One.
FighterZ will obviously be fast tracked for a Switch port now if it wasn't already. I could also see Fusions 1 getting an HD remaster across Switch/PS4/XB1 a la One Piece UWR.

FighterZ will obviously be fast tracked for a Switch port now if it wasn't already. I could also see Fusions 1 getting an HD remaster across Switch/PS4/XB1 a la One Piece UWR.

A Fusions HD remaster would actually be a great idea, it'd allow them to update all of the models from the first game for the sequel, but get a monetary return on that right away.
Unless the sequel dumps the chibi artstyle.

LordKano

Am I the only one here who doesn't see Fighters Z on Switch as a sure thing at all?

I don't think it's a sure thing until it's formerly announced or heavily hinted but seeing how Xenoverse 2 was received, and the fan enthusiasm shown on social medias, I'd say that there are reasons to expect it.

Switch keeping a decent level of sales
Splatoon 2 doing it's thing
Xenoverse.. it sold it's shipment. all you can expect

not much interesting stuff this week

boiled goose

good with gravy

I actually love the attach rates over time graph. Shows how switch was selling because of zelda and mk initially and now splatoon has eaten into that share.

Fukuzatsu

33% of all PS4's sold are PS4 Pro's this week. Not bad ey?

May just be because this week saw the release of the Glacier White Pro model more than anything, but sure. Even if last year's week 36 sales for PS4 were low due to the Slim coming out, a gap of over 25,000 is an improvement worth praising.

Hilarion

Surely, at some point, any company that intends their software to sell in Japan needs to seriously get on board the Switch train, right? It seems that it's going to become the Japan platform.

I'm not sure what Capcom is thinking.

Fularu

Banned
Surely, at some point, any company that intends their software to sell in Japan needs to seriously get on board the Switch train, right? It seems that it's going to become the Japan platform.

That they have to stay afloat till 2019

Ōkami

This week on Famitsu Nintendo Switch outsold the Xbox 360.

GameGear is next, we won't get to the maningful consoles for a bit still.

Celine

&#332;kami;248849108 said:

And soon after WonderSwan although I don't trust Famitsu/Enterbrain on WS sell-through when the known sell-in LTD is much higher.

Fukuzatsu

Multiplatform with PS4 (in most cases), sure, I think that seems fair given the way things are going. Some games likely still just won't run well on the Switch though (FFXV, Yakuza games on the Dragon engine, etc.)

Maybe with Resident Evil 7, or say, Nier Automata, if they wanted to port these to Switch they could turn the fps target down to 30, or further decrease the resolution, but then it becomes a question of whether people would buy a worse version of such games just to play it on the go.

Fiendcode

Maybe with Resident Evil 7, or say, Nier Automata, if they wanted to port these to Switch they could turn the fps target down to 30, or further decrease the resolution, but then it becomes a question of whether people would buy a worse version of such games just to play it on the go.
Xenoverse 2 gives a positive indication they might. I could see both RE7 and Nier Auto doing well enough on Switch.

Laplasakos

Even if it becomes ''the'' Japan platform, it doesn't mean automatic success for third party games. We have some examples already (Nights of Azure 2, MH XX)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even if it becomes ''the'' Japan platform, it doesn't mean automatic success for third party games. We have some examples already (Nights of Azure 2, MH XX)
Obviously no platform is an automatic success for any game. Some games are just unpopular. The difference is when you become the platform the failure of the game becomes less about the platform and more about the game itself.

Fularu

Banned
The Switch version of AN2 has the best attach rate of all 3 versions. What does it say about the PS4 and Vita???

(Anyone can spin but lately you're taking it to a whole new level)

Who cares for Monster Hunter 5, preorders for Mario Odyssey open.

Ah, thanks.

&#332;kami;248849108 said:

Wii U will get caught before next year if there's stock but it might be close. (I know, you said meaningful consoles)

Top Bottom