• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Just loaded up the Project Octopath Demo and I'm greeted with two unexpected logos:

Acquire
Unreal Engine

Guess it's one of those 20+ Unreal Engine games.

Also means Silicon Studio might still be making a new Bravely game

Ah, sweet. Nice to see Acquire continue to get this kinda work. I was a bit worried about them considering how many self-developed bombas they've had over the past couple of years.

I genuinely have no idea what Capcom is doing at this point, this is now beyond "oh we weren't prepared". Bethesda is porting over two (three?) major AAA games, sports games are showing up, we're seeing SE ramp up and even brought over the Phyre DQB1 (Octopath's demo is sublime), and outside of Bamco we're seeing most of the market slowly showing up on the Switch. But then I look at Capcom, and I have no idea what is even going on any more. Neither of the Collections (still) and Okami is missing it too. Wolfenstein and Doom, but not platformers and a Zelda clone. Like... wtf?.

I mean, lets flip this on its head.

I genuinely have no idea what Bethesda is doing at this point, this is now beyond "oh we weren't prepared". Capcom is porting over two (three?) major AAA games (etc.)
But then I look at Bethesda and I have no idea what is even going on any more. Not The Evil Within 2. Not Dishonored 2. Fallout 4 is missing too. Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2, but not other horror games or open-world RPG's.

I feel like this whole thing is oddly reactionary. The Bethesda support is great, and a massive surprise given the company's previous stance on Nintendo hardware, but late ports of games is... exactly what Capcom is doing too.

I hope so much that TGS is where we'll see more Switch support from publishers. NIS is due at any point I feel to be announcing more stuff (shocked that Penny Punching Princess and Longest 5 Minutes aren't announced for Japan yet are they?). KT should have a couple of 2018 Switch games to show soon enough (they have none as far as I know as of yet).

Edit: Back to Japan, surely Fate/Extella Link is Switch-bound since they got the original out on Switch. Why have they been quiet on the platforms for this game?

I mean, I'm sure NIS will announce those two for Japan, but they're both likely going to be < 5k anyway so it's neither here nor there really. Need to start announcing some bigger stuff, maybe a port of Witch & Hundred Knight 2 since that one bombed on PS4 and still hasn't been announced for the west yet (maybe because they're waiting for another version, just like Coven & Labyrinth of Refrain).

re. Fate/Extella link, read this plus the reply:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/907990809697382400

Sounds like PS4/Switch to me.

So still no tales or Taiko even if they should hit he market within next March

No blazelue (officially announced in january)

No new Koei game despite them assuring that Switch is fully compatible with their in house engine and keen to develop switch games one after he other even with exclusive games

No Konami game despite bomberman success

Rofl. I mean, stuff gets delayed for starters, so...

There's also a Blazblue game with platforms unannounced that it's obvious where it's going.

What Koei games are you expecting to be announced for Switch that we know are coming out which aren't already heading there?

Konami developing anything at all is a success in and of itself.

lherre

Accurate
I haven't read all the messages yet, so sorry if it was already posted.

According to Nintendo japanese website, Splatoon 2 Bundle production for this year has already finished.

So I guess the announced Mario or another bundle will replace Splatoon 2.

You didn't miss too much :p

Thanks for the info.

I feel like this whole thing is oddly reactionary. The Bethesda support is great, and a massive surprise given the company's previous stance on Nintendo hardware, but late ports of games is... exactly what Capcom is doing too.

Good point, Doom is a late port older than the majority of the other ports and Wolfestein will be at least a year old more or less.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I genuinely have no idea what Bethesda is doing at this point, this is now beyond "oh we weren't prepared". Capcom is porting over two (three?) major AAA games (etc.)
But then I look at Bethesda and I have no idea what is even going on any more. Not The Evil Within 2. Not Dishonored 2. Fallout 4 is missing too. Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2, but not other horror games or open-world RPG's.

That doesn't work. What Bethesda is doing is like Capcom announcing that friggin World would come to the Switch in 2018 too (at a later date), along with RE7 Gold for this holidays. While Capcom can't even get Okami going.

Vena

I mean, lets flip this on its head.

I... don't get this reverse to be honest, some of the sentences don't work in the reversal. The Bethesda point was more an example amongst examples. With the Fallout 4 retail listing as well, this is Bethesda porting near every successful release of the last few years on a highly scalable engine.

Capcom was a problem because even (now very old) logical ports are missing.

Laplasakos

Some of these are just mind numbing straws to grasp. Like why even put From on here or Tales? Or even BB? You're damn desperate to keep this stupid narrative going.

He is only stating the facts. How is that a stupid narrative? Also, he is desperate for what reason exactly? Someone called me desperate too in the previous page when i was talking about Switch 3rd party support. I guess if you have a different opinion with someone on a certain matter, you can call him desperate and call it a day.

jonno394

Last night's direct was basically their equivalent of a TGS presentation. Any substantial announcement would have been there.

Erm, no. Third parties wanting to announce their own stuff at TGS would not have been there last night, if they wanted to save them for TGS...

That doesn't work. What Bethesda is doing is like Capcom announcing that friggin World would come to the Swtich in 2018 too, along with RE7 Gold for this holidays. While Capcom can't even get Okami going.

I... don't get this reverse to be honest, some of the sentences don't work in the reversal. The Bethesda point was more an example amongst examples. With the Fallout 4 retail listing as well, this is Bethesda porting near every successful release of the last few years on a highly scalable engine.

Capcom was a problem because even (now very old) logical ports are missing.

I know I was really stretching the point there, but it just seems like people are happy to jump on the "Bethesda is great" bandwagon based on... three ports? And then leap on the "Capcom is shit" bandwagon despite the fact that they're also in the three port camp, because of what they're not doing.

It seems oddly ignoring of the fact that Japanese publishers have traditionally been more new-hardware-averse than western counterparts; ignoring the fact that that Bethesda seems like an oddly one-off example among western publishers at that (aside from 2K's sport titles); ignoring the fact that Capcom leaped on the chance to port the first viable 'old' titles as soon as they could (like Bethesda).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He is only stating the facts. How is that a stupid narrative? Also, he is desperate for what reason exactly? Someone called me desperate too in the previous thread when i was talking about Switch 3rd party support. I guess if you have a different opinion with someone on a certain matter, you can call him desperate and call it a day.
How many big games is KT releasing on other systems in the next weeks/months?

They are just about to release a big one for them with Fire Emblem Warriors.. Why would they announce/show something new when they are still trying to market FEW? The narrative of all jpn publishers having so big releases in everything but the Switch in the next 2-3 month is far from the true. Few looks better than most stuff KT had ready for PS4 in its first year.

Why would anyone expect Konami to have similar stuff planned for Switch in comparison to PS4/PSV when their first launched after what happened to Kojima and Konami console business in the last years.

PES was on PS4/XBO in its first year either.

The grasping at straws stems from the fact that the goalpost is being moved non stop. Atlus shows a new SMT? Well where is Persona. Where the F is MHXX Switch? Okay who cares about that where is MHW? Where are the RE Ports Capcom? Well nvm who cares about that I want my Okami.
DQ Builders would be a good fit on Switch. Well nvm who cares about that I need another big PS4 exclusive instead.

It doesn't matter ho successful a system is... No system is getting all the 3rdpart support or ports in its first year. The PS4 was incredible successful in its first year and it was easy to support PS3/PSV games but even the PS4 didn't get everything that was already in development for the at that time current gen established machines.

Bamco could announce two of the Anime games hitting PS4 today, Falcom could port a older Ys title etc. thus would change much and people would likely just move on the next game they feel should be on Switch this early.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I know I was really stretching the point there, but it just seems like people are happy to jump on the "Bethesda is great" bandwagon based on... three ports? And then leap on the "Capcom is shit" bandwagon despite the fact that they're also in the three port camp, because of what they're not doing.

It seems oddly ignoring of the fact that Japanese publishers have traditionally been more new-hardware-averse than western counterparts; ignoring the fact that that Bethesda seems like an oddly one-off example among western publishers at that (aside from 2K's sport titles); ignoring the fact that Capcom leaped on the chance to port the first viable 'old' titles as soon as they could (like Bethesda).

Three ports of high-budget, critically acclaimed and (in the case of 2) current gen games, one which hasn't even released. Capcom has 1 port for $40 of an $15 XBLA game, 2 ports of 3DS games, once of which is not leaving Japan, and a port of a low-ish budget last gen game that even was on Vita.

Numbers might be similar if you stretch it, but Bethesda's output represents the best what the company has to offer. None expected a Doom 2016 Switch version. Its a high-end, current gen AAA game of which closest Capcom analogue is RE7.

L~A

According to Nintendo japanese website, Splatoon 2 Bundle production for this year has already finished.

That wording implies production could very well resume next year, though I'm tempted to think they'll release a different bundle next year.

It's clear Nintendo chose to prioritise the Super Mario Odyssey bundle for the holiday period, which is a sensible thing to do imo. I also assume the "regular" packs will also get increased shipments too (as opposed to Splatoon 2 one getting almost everything in the past couple of months). Splatoon 2 is just going to keep selling without the bundle.

legend166

Bethesda is releasing three ports that no one really expected and are the types of games that haven't been on Nintendo consoles for a long, long time. From that perspective, it's great support because it's new and unexpected even if they aren't bringing every single title (although 3 in what, 6-8 month period is impressive).

Meanwhile Capcom aren't even releasing the most obvious and straight forward ports. Let's not release the heavily Zelda inspired game on the Switch. Let's not release our retro collections to the userbase that has proven to be very supportive of retro titles. It's just dumb.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I def. feel that a lot of Japanese 3rdParty negativity in the MC threads is based on Capcoms output. They are the ones that could have lead the way and benefit quite a bit from a strong Switch after all their lackluster commercial performances on 3DS and consoles in the past 12months. Especially when they seem to have the RE Engine and MT Framework on Switch already.

Capcom will come around for sure but it's clear that they didn't get the VIP treatment from Nintendo in regards to Switch like they did with the 3DS. Can't blame Nintendo for focusing on western devs this time UE4, Minecraft, Skyrim, Doom, Rocket League, Fifa, NBA 2K, LA Noire etc. are more important for the system and its performance global than forcing Capcom to port more games early on.

Unrelated... But imagine if we would have gotten Radiant Historia Remastered on Switch/PS4 instead on 3DS and the game would look like Octopath Traveler... Hnng.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Nintendo wouldn't continue with 2 bundles, one of them would stop. Now the wait for how many Splatoon bundles are already manufactured and sitting into warehouses and if Mario bundle with get the same premium treatment at shipments comparing to Gray and Neon Blue/Neon Red SKUs.

LordKano

This has probably been discussed already, but Octopath Traveler isn't made by Silicon Studios, so maybe we'll see another game from them.

Laplasakos

How many big games is KT releasing on other systems in the next weeks/months?

They are just about to release a big one for them with Fire Emblem Warriors.. Why would they announce/show something new when they are still trying to market FEW? The narrative of all jpn publishers having so big releases in everything but the Switch in the next 2-3 month is far from the true. Few looks better than most stuff KT had ready for PS4 in its first year.

Why would anyone expect Konami to have similar stuff planned for Switch in comparison to PS4/PSV when their first launched after what happened to Kojima and Konami console business in the last years.

PES was on PS4/XBO in its first year either.

The grasping at straws stems from the fact that the goalpost is being moved non stop. Atlus shows a new SMT? Well where is Persona. Where the F is MHXX Switch? Okay who cares about that where is MHW? Where are the RE Ports Capcom? Well nvm who cares about that I want my Okami.
DQ Builders would be a good fit on Switch. Well nvm who cares about that I need another big PS4 exclusive instead.

It doesn't matter ho successful a system is... No system is getting all the 3rdpart support or ports in its first year. The PS4 was incredible successful in its first year and it was easy to support PS3/PSV games but even the PS4 didn't get everything that was already in development for the at that time current gen established machines.

Bamco could announce two of the Anime games hitting PS4 today, Falcom could port a older Ys title etc. thus would change much and people would likely just move on the next game they feel should be on Switch this early.

Thing is, 90% of the games you are talking about are ports. PS4 was getting many ports too and just like now people were complaining and were asking for new games although i never saw one called desperate like now. But PS4, except ports always had that little extra announcement early in it's life. And by extra i mean the announcements of KH3, FFXV, P5, MGSV or hints that the next big thing will be released for it, something that Switch does not have right now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Expected, but October 27 will have big Switch restock. Except for the standard SKUs, amazon had ready for preorder an Odyssey special bundle with Splatoon 2.

Datschge

They can't ignore Switch sales forever though.
With the Wii they managed to wait so long that when the more core games actually released Wii sales already slumped and the audience moved on.

Isn't PES like a Zombie franchise atm?
As a franchise with a mobile game it may still be Konami's most successful one on the international stage.

Only because people let Bandai Namco off the hook for some reason. They're pretty Garbo right now.
Bandai Namco is slightly different since they develop for Nintendo (Pokken, likely Smash for Switch), have released improved ports (DBXV2) and announced upcoming games without details yet (Taiko, Tales). Sure, they could do more faster but unlike Capcom they constantly release a mass of games and likely are capable of organically add Switch versions to the mix once they feel that sales warrant that (DBXV2 may be managing just that).

random25

He is only stating the facts. How is that a stupid narrative? Also, he is desperate for what reason exactly? Someone called me desperate too in the previous page when i was talking about Switch 3rd party support. I guess if you have a different opinion with someone on a certain matter, you can call him desperate and call it a day.

In the context of the narrative, yes it looks desperate. Highlighting what's missing while not mentioning what's present just to favor his opinion is stretching things a bit too far.

Oregano

They have announced two relevant mid-tier IP already, but it seems like as long as they have no visual it's like they don't exist.

Well yeah if we literally don't have a single detail on them they might as well not exist. Especially when they're both supposedly releasing before March and their existence has yet to be acknowledged.

Bandai Namco is slightly different since they develop for Nintendo (Pokken, likely Smash for Switch), have released improved ports (DBXV2) and announced upcoming games without details yet (Taiko, Tales). Sure, they could do more faster but unlike Capcom they constantly release a mass of games and likely are capable of organically add Switch versions to the mix once they feel that sales warrant that (DBXV2 may be managing just that).

What's improved about XV2? It doesn't even have the DLC bundled in.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
And now it's PS4 and mobile? The circumstances never hindered the publishers from waiting, they just caused the audience to move on with some other entertainment instead supporting late publishers.

There was PS3 too with continued increased support. The audience didn't move on from Wii for the simple reason it never was there. After first year sales took the downhill. That mobile takes a big share of gamers' money doesn't mean it can offer the same experiences with a dedicated gaming machine and everyone will have to move to it.

ggx2ac

So still no tales or Taiko even if they should hit he market within next March

No From game (based on the famous slide of publishers)

No blazelue (officially announced in january)

No Capcom game despite they saying they will to inuse more the switch in their multiplatform development and they working to adapt the RE engine

No new Koei game despite them assuring that Switch is fully compatible with their in house engine and keen to develop switch games one after he other even with exclusive games
No Konami game despite bomberman success

No platinum game despite them being at work for Switch (not sure this could be counted as third party)

Still no news about DQXI (but at least SE is actively developing for the console)

No Level 5 games despite Inazuma heavily teased and Musashi disappeared since months

Despite the BlazBlue title not being officially revealed for Switch yet (because it's most likely going to be multiplatform anyway and maybe even revealed at TGS), you seem to forget that Arc System Works has released multiple games on the Switch eShop since day one.

Edit: Actually, I have no clue if ASW will be at TGS anyway.

Datschge

There was PS3 too with continued increased support. The audience didn't move on from Wii for the simple reason it never was there. After first year sales took the downhill. That mobile takes a big share of gamers' money doesn't mean it can offer the same experiences with a dedicated gaming machine and everyone will have to move to it.
I'm not sure why you bother mansplaining that to me. We all know that the Wii had a critical mass going with its initial sales that no home console in Japan reached again since, and publishers failed to take advantage of it to form the audience they want while it was still going on. Specific audiences are always only there while they are being served, otherwise they look elsewhere for what they want. Wii is the most extreme (otherwise successful) example of one-sided servings that severely limited the platform's livelihood and as such backfired for all the publishers that thought they could still deliver the servings later.

LordKano

Despite the BlazBlue title not being officially revealed for Switch yet (because it's most likely going to be multiplatform anyway and maybe even revealed at TGS), you seem to forget that Arc System Works has released multiple games on the Switch eShop since day one.

The Blazblue title is most likely Cross Tag Battle as this one still doesn't have official platforms and the Switch game was hinted by ArcSys the day before the reveal at EVO.

casiopao

Actually i would not agree on mobile not offering the same experience as dedicated gaming.

As we see nowadays, more and more mobile jrpg and rhythm game seems to have offered more or less what handheld game used to offered. And in the next 1 or 2 years in future, i can see lesser game being release on dedicated machine.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Funny fact: prior to Direct I told that I wasn't expecting many third party games because I wasn't sure about timings of possible announcements relate to future releases with the TGS incoming. So Tales and Taiko were probable because they should arrive within end of March

People told me what in the blue hell I was thinking in doubting the mighty Nintendo fall Direct with all the secrecy around known projects (Ubisoft saying that more games will arrive soon, Telltale games semi announced but not shown, DQXI, NIS confirmed support and so on)
Plus all the actual Japanese success that would have lead to actual Japanese announcements like DB fighter Zanzi/M and others

Now he lack of third party Japanese games has become "obvious"

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sinobi expects a big and clear victory for Switch these holidays but the main reason of that won't be Mario or Xenoblade but Splatoon. Slow releases from Nintendo at the beginning of next year is what he finds troubled.

casiopao

With mobile growth finally finding a ceiling and budgets going way up I can see the opposite in 1-2 years.

I disagree on that part as even if mobile is probably going to slow down in future, mobile devs would probably did their best in branching their genre as there are still many opportunities on evolving the game genre there.

Whats usually exclusive to dedicated gaming machine would be more common as the mobile platform become stronger and more dedicated gamers being more accustomed to mobile platform.

Funny fact: prior to Direct I told that I wasn't expecting many third party games because I wasn't sure about timings of possible announcements relate to future releases with the TGS incoming. So Tales and Taiko were probable because they should arrive within end of March

People told me what in the blue hell I was thinking in doubting the mighty Nintendo fall Direct with all the secrecy around known projects (Ubisoft saying that more games will arrive soon, Telltale games semi announced but not shown, DQXI, NIS confirmed support and so on)
Plus all the actual Japanese success that would have lead to actual Japanese announcements like DB fighter Zanzi/M and others

Now he lack of third party Japanese games has become "obvious"
You do realize Tokyo Game Show is literally next week.

sphinx

the piano man
Slow releases from Nintendo at the beginning of next year is what he finds troubled.

that's something that caught my attention on yesterday's direct.

why is nintendo so reluctant to create some mid/long-term buzz/hype? I am not talking FFVIIr, Shenmue 3, five-years-too-early kind of announcements. I mean basically 2018

why not let people know what's in store past the upcoming holiday season? just teasers, like Metroid Prime 4, if they don't wanna share that much.

LordKano

that's something that caught my attention on yesterday's direct.

why is nintendo so reluctant to create some mid/long-term buzz/hype? I am not talking FFVIIr, Shenmue 3, five-years-too-early kind of announcements. I mean basically 2018

why not let people know what's in store past the upcoming holiday season? just teasers, like Metroid Prime 4, if they don't wanna share that much.

Because it can backfire severely. Look at Microsoft's E3 2014 that was supposed to be the savior of the console. Metroid Prime 4 was an exception because they wanted to announce Samus Returns but without getting a bad PR due to the lack of imminent Metroid on Switch.
It can also lead to stuff like the initial teaser of SMTxFE.

sphinx

the piano man
Because it can backfire severely. Look at Microsoft's E3 2014 that was supposed to be the savior of the console. Metroid Prime 4 was an exception because they wanted to announce Samus Returns but without getting a bad PR due to the lack of imminent Metroid on Switch.

announcing stuff for 2018 in September 2017 can backfire??

come on

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kirby/Yoshi are not going to cut it in terms of maintaining momentum into 2018.

They need a tent pole release early on.

I am betting Animal Crossing is that release and we hear about it in the early January Direct. The timing is perfect and would allow them to coincide it with the mobile version.

That series is a proven system-seller and would work quite well in that timeframe.

LordKano

announcing stuff for 2018 in September 2017 can backfire??

come on

The point is, they don't need to. They have enough games releasing this year/early 2018 to just talk about them and keep the big announcements closer to the release of said games. There's no point in talking about far away games if you can already please your fans by talking about nearby stuff.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Unless you are Sony. :p

Top Bottom