• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

that's something that caught my attention on yesterday's direct.

why is nintendo so reluctant to create some mid/long-term buzz/hype? I am not talking FFVIIr, Shenmue 3, five-years-too-early kind of announcements. I mean basically 2018

why not let people know what's in store past the upcoming holiday season? just teasers, like Metroid Prime 4, if they don't wanna share that much.

The January 2013 Direct backfired on them solely because they only talked about games that were at least a year off. The only one that wasn't was Wonderful 101 and the Virtual Console update.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

why is nintendo so reluctant to create some mid/long-term buzz/hype? I am not talking FFVIIr, Shenmue 3, five-years-too-early kind of announcements. I mean basically 2018

why not let people know what's in store past the upcoming holiday season? just teasers, like Metroid Prime 4, if they don't wanna share that much.
Because they don't need to. The system and their games are selling great... Everyone with a brain knows that they will have strong games as well in 2018.

They want Switch to succeed as a system for 3rdPartys as well... Most people don't realize how ridiculous strong Nintendo's first party offerings are already... Yet the want Smash, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokémon etc. unveiled and outshadow pretty much everything out there.

I mean many of them are already semi announced anyway... They want people to spend their money on the announced games this year and will have a new Direct/announcements layer this year or early next year.

Well and there is still TGS xD

I half wonder if it's because they did this exact thing with WiiU when they were trying to salvage it and want to avoid doing the same thing again.

That January Direct where they announced loads of stuff that was years away.

The fact that they've already revealed Metroid Prime 4 with literally just an image kinda shits on that theory, though.

cw_sasuke

The fact that they've already revealed Metroid Prime 4 with literally just an image kinda shits on that theory, though.

Metroid is a specific case - they also had the 3DS game coming out so there was alot of good-will to make up for after the last 3DS game and Other M.

We already know that a mainline Pokemon, Prime 4 and Fire Emblem are being worked on - yet people are acting as if outside Yoshi and Kirby nothing can be expected for next year.

The Metroid Prime announcement was solely to take the sting out of any backlash to the Metroid 3DS announcement later that day. Similarly, the Pokémon Switch announcement was made to soothe hurt feelings after the USUM reveal. I wouldn't take either of those announcements to represent a shift in Nintendo's strategy.

I do think the time for a Smash 4 port or updated version might have passed. We're getting to the point where I'd be hoping that they're making a new title rather than porting a game that's older than 3 years by now.

just noticed that most of Japanese third party exclusive games for the switch are using unreal engine 4.Octopath Traveler,Travis Strikes Again,SMT HD,any reason behind them?

ggx2ac

I do think the time for a Smash 4 port or updated version might have passed. We're getting to the point where I'd be hoping that they're making a new title rather than porting a game that's older than 3 years by now.

Imagine they release new Amiibo of all the same characters but in new poses.

just noticed that most of Japanese third party exclusive games for the switch are using unreal engine 4.Octopath Traveler,Travis Strikes Again,SMT HD,any reason behind them?
Probably since it's more convenient. Yoshi is also being made in UE4.
I mean imo the Japanese exclusives are already better than the Wii U ones.

fortunato

Banned
Sinobi expects a big and clear victory for Switch these holidays but the main reason of that won't be Mario or Xenoblade but Splatoon. Slow releases from Nintendo at the beginning of next year is what he finds troubled.

As I said, Switch holiday title will be Splatoon. I expect 100k+ weeks for this game during December.

Further, while the early 2018 line-up seems a bit sparse, Switch can still perform well thanks to the legacy of 2017 titles. If sales are driven by supply throughout 2017, then next year's sales should not be a problem, at least during the first months. Something like early 2013 3DS, where sales were driven by Animal Crossing.

VariantX

Talking about shit way too soon just brings up opportunities for people to call your stuff vaporware. In Nintendo's case at least, It's good to let each group of titles breathe and have the spotlight for themselves.

Probably since it's more convenient. Yoshi is also being made in UE4.
I mean imo the Japanese exclusives are already better than the Wii U ones.

with the current trend of UE4 Japanese switch games, I have a feeling that Fire Emblem switch, the next pokemon game,Inazuma Eleven Ares the next EO game(after the upcoming 3ds one) are going to be UE4 based games as well

I def. feel that a lot of Japanese 3rdParty negativity in the MC threads is based on Capcoms output. They are the ones that could have lead the way

Naw. The Japanese 3rd party negativity is because they suck ass at supporting new hardware even when it's totally for their benefit alone. It has nothing to do with Capcom. We went through the same thing with the PS4. Takes them forever and forever to ramo up support. It's as if the only third party with a decent pipeline is Namco.

noshten

Sinobi expects a big and clear victory for Switch these holidays but the main reason of that won't be Mario or Xenoblade but Splatoon. Slow releases from Nintendo at the beginning of next year is what he finds troubled.

I'm expecting above 1.5 million for Nov/Dec period if supply isn't significantly improved. That would put the Switch slightly behind 3DS's first two holidays on the market. If they can improve the supply it's possible that they can either equal or outperform 3DS first year on the market.

Code:
	2011	2012	2013	2014
Week 44	145,271	93,989	88,376	69,673
Week 45	103,962	187,077	81,817	79,217
Week 46	96,219	168,876	70,102	65,201
Week 47	120,920	162,077	84,506	88,653
Week 48	205,962	167,408	108,373	106,517
Week 49	350,321	167,408	125,269	145,420
Week 50	367,691	319,025	181,556	157,103
Week 51	482,200	411,272	232,600	196,351
Week 52	197,952	250,205	201,703	196,274

Total 2011: 2,072,509
Total 2012: 1,929,349
Total 2013: 1,176,315
Total 2014: 1,106,423

Since we aren't seeing a drop in stock right now I think that Switch will continue to trail 3DS until SMO launch and overtake it launch aligned for at least a brief time at that point. Than it's all a matter of how much they actually plan to supply for 2017. Back in August I thought they had supplied roughly 40% of what they intended to supply outside of Japan(2 million US/300-350K France). In terms of Japan Nov/December dwarf any other period of the year for Nintendo, so having around 50% of stock concentrated for those two months would be needed to meet demand.

As I said, Switch holiday title will be Splatoon. I expect 100k+ weeks for this game during December.

Further, while the early 2018 line-up seems a bit sparse, Switch can still perform well thanks to the legacy of 2017 titles. If sales are driven by supply throughout 2017, then next year's sales should not be a problem, at least during the first months. Something like early 2013 3DS, where sales were driven by Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing sold roughly 2 million Nov/Dec 2012, Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi sold 2 million in December alone - I'd say those are good comparisons with Splatoon 2. The main difference is that those titles launched right before holidays while Splatoon 2 is selling to early adopters of the Switch. Currently there is a big audience of kids who've still been unable to purchase a Switch due to shortages, high price etc. During the holidays with larger availability and more pocket money they will drive Switch/Splatoon 2 sales. I also expect the first big update for Splatoon 2 to come during those holiday months and Nintendo to really focus their marketing in Japan towards it.
Splatoon 2 will have around 70-80% attach rate in those months no doubt about it, how much it will sell will be entirely depended on the amount of stock Nintendo is able to supply to Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Funny fact: prior to Direct I told that I wasn't expecting many third party games because I wasn't sure about timings of possible announcements relate to future releases with the TGS incoming. So Tales and Taiko were probable because they should arrive within end of March

People told me what in the blue hell I was thinking in doubting the mighty Nintendo fall Direct with all the secrecy around known projects (Ubisoft saying that more games will arrive soon, Telltale games semi announced but not shown, DQXI, NIS confirmed support and so on)
Plus all the actual Japanese success that would have lead to actual Japanese announcements like DB fighter Zanzi/M and others

Now he lack of third party Japanese games has become "obvious"

I mean- yes, I was expecting more Japan stuff yesterday. But frankly, all I was realistically expecting are franchises that have already been confirmed for the system.

Do you honestly think Tales, Taiko Drum, Story of Seasons and BlazBlue are no longer coming to the system?

Some could be announced next week and come out in December.

Tales could be announced in December and release in March.

Its really just timing. Are you suddenly more optimistic about Japanese support if the software announced the last month was all unveiled during the Direct (Atelier, Revelations, DQ Builders 1+2, KT ports, etc)?

And I'll repeat- I know its easy to forget about it because it was announced in January- but OctopathTraveler is shaping up as a pretty big deal and you and others just don't mention it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Preorders for Odyssey and Xenoblade opened as expected but for Ultra Moon / Ultra Sun no. In the end Nintendo didn't want to do everything in one day.

Sun / Moon VC release is out at September 22, maybe that's the day they begin.

hiska-kun

Preorders for Odyssey and Xenoblade opened as expected but for Ultra Moon / Ultra Sun no. In the end Nintendo didn't want to do everything in one day.

It was confirmed in the Direct that they will open the 22nd.

Fisico

Well yeah if we literally don't have a single detail on them they might as well not exist. Especially when they're both supposedly releasing before March and their existence has yet to be acknowledged.

Their existence has been acknowledged more than once so we're just back to my previous post.
I kinda understand it but it's also a bit ridiculous at the same time, especially since we're days, weeks at worst, away from their reveal in a more "visual" way.

fortunato

Banned

It's Gold / Silver on VC, my favorite game in the franchise ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Their existence has been acknowledged more than once so we're just back to my previous post.
I kinda understand it but it's also a bit ridiculous at the same time, especially since we're days, weeks at worst, away from their reveal in a more "visual" way.

Right I don't get it at all. It would be one thing if Switch was failing like Wii U- then maybe there is a chance those games get quietly cancelled. But right now? Come on.

MoonFrog

Really wanted SMT HD to show up yesterday with a 2018 release date tbh. No reason to think it would but I was hopeful. Wonder when we do see that again.

fortunato

Banned
Well yeah if we literally don't have a single detail on them they might as well not exist. Especially when they're both supposedly releasing before March and their existence has yet to be acknowledged.

Whether Taiko has already been announced or not, a Switch entry is a matter of when, not if. Taiko on Nintendo platforms has always been pretty successful. I do not think Taiko PS4 will be able to sell more than 200k units.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
In the end, Nintendo didn't really end up porting any old WiiU games to the Switch other than MK8 and Pokken.

As far as first party offerings go after this deadline Mario Maker and Smash will be much more than just ports when they happen.

Tropical Freeze could still see a direct port, timing doesn't matter.

cw_sasuke

Timing always matters.

Mario Maker was never going to happen this year the moment they showed that they had Odyssey ready for the Holidays.

Fiendcode

As far as first party offerings go after this deadline Mario Maker and Smash will be much more than just ports when they happen.

Also ports of 3rd party cooperation titles could still happen I think (Bayonetta 1-2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Hyrule Warriors, etc).

Hero

I kind of wonder if next year we'll see direct ports without any enhancements like we did with MK8D/Pokken DX at a reduced price. 19.99 - 29.99 for ports of DKTF, Captain Toad, etc would do nicely to fill in gaps of quiet months while allowing them to sell more games that they invested that didn't see their full potential on Wii U.

cw_sasuke

And also Super Mario Maker for 3DS released in late 2016. (It is still selling).

Yeah - its one of the titles still being featured while advertising the 3DS. A Switch version this early never made much sense when their lineup was already stacked and they already released two versions not too long ago.

Really wanted SMT HD to show up yesterday with a 2018 release date tbh. No reason to think it would but I was hopeful. Wonder when we do see that again.

I actually think that SMT HD is a 2018 game,Nintendo just want it as a big 2018 game to show up at the Spring Direct.The Shin Megami Tensei concert will show another teaser and a full blown trailer will be shown up at the spring direct

Funny fact: prior to Direct I told that I wasn't expecting many third party games because I wasn't sure about timings of possible announcements relate to future releases with the TGS incoming. So Tales and Taiko were probable because they should arrive within end of March

People told me what in the blue hell I was thinking in doubting the mighty Nintendo fall Direct with all the secrecy around known projects (Ubisoft saying that more games will arrive soon, Telltale games semi announced but not shown, DQXI, NIS confirmed support and so on)
Plus all the actual Japanese success that would have lead to actual Japanese announcements like DB fighter Zanzi/M and others

Now he lack of third party Japanese games has become "obvious"

You know, the fact that you have gotten some things right (and I credit you for getting it right) doesn't change that the actually severity of the narrative you are pushing isn't excess.

The Switch launched March 3rd. It's 6 and a half months old. Some of the shit you are referencing as doom is fucking "From Software project missing", "Blazblue missing", "Tales and Taiko for the fiscal year missing". It's like, "And"? Those things pledged but unnounced are not spelling doom for a system half a year old. Do you think there is going to be no Taiko game on the Switch, a series even the WiiU got? Do you think the next Blazblue (which isn't even announced on PS4 which is the main system here) is not going to be on the Switch after them saying it would? Do you think Tales is never going to be on the Switch after they said "we will have Tales on the Switch"?

You were doing the same thing when Rayman and Xenoverse 2 were not dated. Then they magically got dated because patience is required on announcements.

I understand a healthy level of skepticism, I am not impressed with the Switch Japanese 3rd party situation. I think it's a pathetic showing. But it has been iterated over and over and over and over that Japanese publishers are slow as hell transitioning to new hardware. Something that Western publishers are far more proficient at. And forgetting entirely about the Switch the same thing happened to the PS3 and the PS4. It took both of these system more than 2 years to start hitting their software stride. The PS3 was like 3+.

We still have everything announced pre TGS and I'm sure we'll get a few more tidbits at TGS. Even if we don't we are looking at a system that will be 9 months old after its first Christmas. What exactly are you expecting to see here? The whole Switch lineup for the next 2 years? There is a healthy level of discourse to have about a situation but you're taking it to levels I don't understand.

Unless you think publishers announcing support going forward are legit making shit up or you want them to go Kingdom Hearts 3/ Final Fantasy 7 Remake, I do not actually understand what your flipping out about.

Eolz

The January 2013 Direct backfired on them solely because they only talked about games that were at least a year off. The only one that wasn't was Wonderful 101 and the Virtual Console update.

This. Same thing happened in the past to them with Twilight Princess. They only do that for stuff they're convinced it will be beneficial for them (like MP4).

The next BlazBlue game actually is announced (hype!); platforms just aren't officially confirmed yet.
I agree with you for the rest tho :)

That's exactly what I meant though. It's not even announced on the PS4 (it's obviously going to be on PS4), why are we freaking out about it not being confirmed for Switch?

Side note. Further exemplifies my annoyance with announcing games with platforms. So fucking stupid.

Do FROM or Platinum typically announce new games at/around TGS? People aren't really talking about them all that much. I guess the fact that they're usually not their own publishers would be the reason why.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I answered myself

hiska-kun

I've just realized that the Mario Party will release the 28th of December. What's the point of releasing this game after Christmas?
Yes, I know about New Year sales, but family games aren't the ones that benefit that much.

Anyway, irrelevant game.

fortunato

Banned
I've just realized that the Mario Party will release the 28th of December. What's the point of releasing this game after Christmas?
Yes, I know about New Year sales, but family games aren't the ones that benefit that much.

Anyway, irrelevant game.

Mario Party games must have tremendous ROIs as Nintendo is keeping producing them at an incredible rate even with falling sales.

I expect Smash at this point to be Smash 5, although probably more like Smash 4.5 from a development point of view, running on the Smash 4 engine with all the characters from that game, but also a new game's worth of additions. Now that they've waited this long, they won't just make it a deluxe version.

I think we could still potentially see Tropical Freeze, as well as #FE, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 1&2 ports at some point in the next year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I should probably post this here too.

Fate managed to achieve two huge milestones this month.

1.) Fate/Grand Order was the #1 top grossing mobile game worldwide.

2.) In Japan specifically, the game dethroned Monster Strike to become the #1 grossing game for the month. Monster Strike had held that position since May 2015.

Worldwide:

worldwidemobileaugs7j0o.png

Japan:

japanmobileaugkcjpn.png

casiopao

I am still amazed for how great FGO is doing lol. Considering how much disaster its first released lol.

If this is other game without Fate IP, it will already be doomed like Chaos Dragon and numerous S-E mobile IP.

fortunato

Banned
I should probably post this here too.

Fate managed to achieve two huge milestones this month.

1.) Fate/Grand Order was the #1 top grossing mobile game worldwide.

2.) In Japan specifically, the game dethroned Monster Strike to become the #1 grossing game for the month. Monster Strike had held that position since May 2015.

What is the monetization technique adopted by developers?

They have some announced games that are far-off, Pokémon, Metroid Prime, Shin Megami Tensei HD, No More Heroes, Yoshi, Dragon Quest XI, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem, etc.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Party games must have tremendous ROIs as Nintendo is keeping producing them at an incredible rate even with falling sales.
It's an all-star game with reused assets once again, it's not that it required big resources.

After low sales of previous Mario Party you'd think they would series to a rest for a whole. This is one of these games that needs drastic gameplay changes if it wants to become relevant again.

Mory Dunz

It's an all-star game with reused assets once again, it's not that it required big resources.

After low sales of previous Mario Party you'd think they would series to a rest for a whole. This is one of these games that needs drastic gameplay changes if it wants to become relevant again.

the series needs drastic changes, but MP10 just sold (probably) above expectations just in 2015 though right
unless you only mean Star rush

Top Bottom