• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Ōkami;249064794 said:
Queues on Yodobashi Akiba today, not for Switch, Super Famicom Mini preorders.

it is so hard to get Nintendo to focus on one hardware. I wonder if we will ever get them to do that one day.

they always have to try some extra shit

Mory Dunz

By how many? Is it worth developing a brand new game for?

in terms of fiances? Definitely. I wouldn't expect MK9 to be made completely ground up. And you get a bunch of people to buy another 60 dollar game.

Worth it in terms of them working on something else or putting resources elsewhere.? I dunno, I recently lost my job at Nintendo

The switch war not ended and the super famicom-mini war begins

DJzBAIjVoAAOSxu.jpg

DJzFpJ8UQAAaNIW.jpg

https://twitter.com/SubarusAito/status/908813460082909186

Neoxon

Yup.

I don't think it's too late for them to add more content, but they probably want to focus on Arms at the moment.
If the datamine was any indication, we still have 8 more DLC characters to look forward to for ARMS. The Mario Kart team probably has their hands full for the time being, especially if they’re also working on MK9.

Branduil

What would be the point of developing an entirely new Mario Kart for the Switch, as opposed to more DLC for Mario Kart 8?

What would be the point of developing an entirely new Mario Kart for the Switch, as opposed to more DLC for Mario Kart 8?

Either smash Bros or Mario kart will jump to a service style.game this gen, imo.

Pay for the characters/stages/skins etc with a complete unlock at 60.

Then they keep iterating on the game from there.

My idea for MK9 is to bring in ideas from Diddy Kong Racing; Adventure Mode, planes, hovercrafts, more DK characters like actually making Diddy permanent, and adding Dixie, K. Rool, Krunch, etc.

I mean I'd LOVE DKR2 to finally exist (Star Fox Adventures is closest, as it was conceived as DKR2, even having the same director and TRICKY!). But after all the rumors and nothing to show for them, it feels like Nintendo may as well just merge the two.

Mario & Diddy Kong Racing sounds like a good title to me! :p

That's a lot of people trying to get a Switch in anticipation for Fire Emblem Warriors.

They probably don't know that Tharja is not in.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Dengeki has interesting stats about the market this Fiscal Year. Basically, Square-Enix + Nintendo = 66.7% of Software sales (34.7% for the former, and 32% for the latter). So yeah, market is up for first time in 10 years, but it mostly comes down to two games (DQXI and Splatoon 2).

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/592/1592390/

This feels like a sign that square and nintendo should team up more often for more titles.

casiopao

Dating and having relationships with idols.......................................... count me in,just make sure to have an English version also

Cinderella Girls already give some of the taste there. Now i need Konami to take us deeper and further

That's a lot of people trying to get a Switch in anticipation for Fire Emblem Warriors.

They probably don't know that Tharja is not in.

Lucina should be enough pull for the first one. Tharja is just going to be bonus lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2016 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)

Famicom Mini - 262.961 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Nov 2016 (Oct 31 - Nov 27)

Famicom Mini - 319.000 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Dec 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 25)

Famicom Mini - 248.000 / 567.000

WW sales were 1,5m until January 2017, 2,3m until April 2017. Nintendo will produce more units this time, at least 1m shipment should be doable just in Japan.

fortunato

Banned
I agree. I think MK8D was just an easy way to get another evergreen title out early on. I think we'll definitely see MK9 on the Switch in a few years time.

Plans might change. Decisions are affected by internal & external factors. The decision process is not a straight line, but a non-linear one, and it is corrected as events unfold.

If Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will keep selling as well as it is doing, Nintendo will need to rethink the strategy of developing and releasing Mario Kart 9. Keep in mind that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a low-effort investment: it is a port with few additions, meaning that at 4m+ units (last known data is 3.54m worldwide) it is a huge, huge financial success, which shows the commercial strength of the franchise. After the holiday season, we might be looking at 6m+ units; Switch software demand is driven by supply, which means that as long as the hardware is supply-constrained, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will keep selling A LOT.

Further, Mario Kart are typically released early on the console lifetime, in light of the fact that they are evergreen titles, and move many units especially during holidays. Attach rate of Mario Kart games is big: 60% on Wii U, 23% on 3DS, 37% on Wii, 15% on DS, 33% on GameCube. At the beginning of a hardware lifecycle, the vast majority of new adopters purchases Mario Kart as well.

I think it is interesting to see how Nintendo will react to this, as it is the first Mario Kart porting, and it is a wildly successful one. The company can start releasing new contents for this entry, creating a platform where to extend the franchise. This means, though, that we will not see new mechanics, but simply new characters/tracks. Or Nintendo can rethink the Mario Kart formula, by expanding on something we have already seen in Mario Kart 8: introducing characters from other series. Basically the racing version of Super Smash Bros. Nintendo surely needs to differentiate the next entry enough to avoid franchise fatigue and maximizing potential sales.

Branduil

It was certainly quite arguable that the Switch would get a real original Mario Kart before MK8DX released, but now that it's a massive success and selling like a new title, it's much harder to see it. There's a reason Nintendo has always stuck to one Mario Kart per system; Mario Kart 9 would have to add something truly new and valuable to justify the cost, the splitting of the MK fanbase, and the cutting off of MK8's legs. It would seem to me a much better strategy to work on new DLC for MK8(after finishing DLC for ARMS) and develop MK9 for the Switch's successor.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The next Mario Kart will be a dumped down version of MK7/8 on mobile. They won't have people who bought MK8D spend money on another MK on Switch.

MK9/VR will be ready once the Switch gets it first essential hardware upgrade/successor. So not before Holiday 2019/20.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, barring a port announced next week for late December, 3rd parties this holiday on Switch are definitely not going to be taking advantage of Switch holiday sales.

There's what..DQ X expansion, Revelations collection, and Atelier?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Monster Hunter. Capcom with its laughable Switch support will benefit the most from third parties this December in the end.

fortunato

Banned
So, barring a port announced next week for late December, 3rd parties this holiday on Switch are definitely not going to be taking advantage of Switch holiday sales.

There's what..DQ X expansion, Revelations collection, and Atelier?

Fire Emblem Warriors is published by Koei Tecmo in Japan, so technically a third party game. Lost Sphear in October, a few Musou games in November, and Sumikko Gurashi in December. Definitely not big games.

cw_sasuke

if only DQXI being a December title
Wouldn't be in Nintendos or SEs interest to have it out in December. Sales would be low because of the low userbase and most people interested picked it up for 3DS/PS4 already. XB2 will be out in December too.

Golden Week 2018 release for the Switch version with some unique/exclusive features is more likely. Don't see the Switch version launching before the system sold around 5m units in Japan.

Celine

Well over 3m. Super Famicom Mini wouldn't achieve that number in 2,5 months even if supply was there.
What I meant is that, with enough stocks to satiate demand, SNES Classic would have trouble only to outsell Switch IMO.
The price is much lower than the other "real" consoles and I expect demand to be very strong (in the million(s)).
Nintendo shipped 2.3M NES Classic worldwide but we still don't know how high demand really was/is, we only know demand outstripped by a huge margin what Nintendo shipped.
However mine is a bit of a useless guess, I don't think Nintendo will meet demand with the SNES Classic in the coming holidays.

schuelma

Fire Emblem Warriors is published by Koei Tecmo in Japan, so technically a third party game. Lost Sphear in October, a few Musou games in November, and Sumikko Gurashi in December. Definitely not big games.

Yeah..I mean there are numbers. Just nothing really impactful.

cw_sasuke

Isnt impact measured by hardware sales mostly? No 3rd party title would have any kind of impact this year since Switch is selling what Nintendo can ship. It will be much more important to have those games out next year once the Switch demand slows down.

ggx2ac

Monster Hunter. Capcom with its laughable Switch support will benefit the most from third parties this December in the end.

I was thinking how after the recent Nintendo Direct that Capcom could have made some easy money this year as one of the major publishers for Switch but they played it too cautiously.

As in, we're heading to the end of the year. It was as expected that Nintendo wouldn't get a lot of major third party games throughout this year. So the third parties that benefitted the most from Switch were indies and smaller publishers on the eShop.

Capcom reacted, rather than planned things out. They put out USF2 as a test, it beat expectations that they then announced Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 for Switch which isn't coming out until November 28th.

They had so many smaller projects or ports that could've been made for Switch: Disney Afternoon Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Okami HD.

Oh, and let's not forget that they could've released MHXX for Switch and 3DS in the west.

So to summarise, they played it too cautiously when there is barely any AAA third party competitors on the system. Those major third party games are only just arriving at the end of the year with games like FIFA, NBA, Skyrim and Doom.

Capcom blew it, because their games releasing on Switch are ports or games reusing existing assets. It's baffling that Capcom's management didn't put the resources to port those other games mentioned.

schuelma

Capcom blew it, because their games releasing on Switch are ports or games reusing existing assets it's baffling that Capcom's management didn't put the resources to port those other games mentioned.

I don't disagree, and in overall support Capcom is certainly lagging..but just looking at this years November and December lineup its not like any 3rd party planned particularly well for this first holiday.

Akiller

I suppose those Capcom ports are skipping the Switch because they were not planned for it since the beginning and of course they didn't want to add another version during the development.

Top Bottom