• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)

RM8

Just imagine these numbers once MH4 fights for the top spot against Pokémon. For real, retailers in Japan should sell only 3DS software and hardware during these holidays to maximize profits :p

cafemomo

I wonder what is in store for the 3DS in 2014. It seems like it's all downhill after the MoHu and Pokemon craze.

Only noteworthy title that I know of is Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

I wonder if Capcom will now have a renewed interest in supporting the 3DS with new games other than MoHu.

Also why do people still even pay attention to Wii U numbers? That's Nintendo's problem now, and not worth the incessant rhetoric.

It's clear that system is among the bombiest of bombs.

Glass Rebel

I wonder what is in store for the 3DS in 2014. It seems like it's all downhill after the MoHu and Pokemon craze.

I wonder if Capcom will now have a renewed interest in supporting the 3DS with new games other than MoHu.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Super Smash Bros. 4
Mario Golf: World Tour
Theathrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
New Yoshi's Island
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Bravely Default 2?

Capcom and Treasure are releasing Gaist Crusher this December

QaaQer

I no longer think Nintendo/Sony are somehow at fault for the Wii U and Vita's numbers; Japan just doesn't seem to give a shit about anything other than the 3DS at this point.

Also, Vita is the only system beating its last YTD. Silver lining I guess.

Pretty much. The market had a seismic shift in 2006 with DS.

Console gaming is pretty much dead there, and the developer talent has been moving away from consoles. Kinda sucky for people like me who like Japanese style console games, but if the Japanese market vastly prefers phone games + the 240p one stick 3ds, well c'est la vie.

Glad we still get the occasional Xillia/GUST/Dark Souls/Nintendo console game.

RM8

Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Super Smash Bros. 4
New Yoshi's Island
Bravely Default 2?

I want all of these except for Theathrhythm.

massoluk

Banned

You don't like Smash Bros?

Tripon

Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Super Smash Bros. 4
New Yoshi's Island
Bravely Default 2?

Its kind of hilariously ironic, that the only company to release a Monster Hunter clone on the 3DS is... Capcom.

wrowa

Well, the only other franchise as strong as MH and Pokemon that is still missing in action is (mainline) Dragon Quest. The 3DS will most likely the home of DQXI, but when the game is going to arrive, is anyone's guess. A 2014 release isn't impossible, but 2015 is more likely.

We might see some Pokemon remake and/or MH4G next year, though.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Super Smash Bros. 4
New Yoshi's Island
Bravely Default 2?

Pokemon z/ rse remake too.

I am sure dq11 will be on 3DS. More will be announced next year I think. I am still hoping that the 3ds monolith soft game will be announced (the one with the tree thing)

QaaQer

I used to think that the 3DS successor would come out in 2016. Now though, Nintendo will probably pull a 360/PS3 and extend this generation past any logic, and release a successor in 2017/2018.

Maybe even later. They have zero competition now, and competition is the only thing that pushes technology forward. I guess phones might push them a bit though.

Glass Rebel

Its kind of hilariously ironic, that the only company to release a Monster Hunter clone on the 3DS is... Capcom.

Nah, One Piece Unlimited World RED, Toriko Something Something and that Shingeki no Kyojin game are Hunting Action games as well. It's just that 3DS is getting mostly licensed ones while the original titles are going to the Vita.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, that's not true
The new One Piece is a MH clone, the new Toriko Gorumet game too, and tAttack on the Titans too

what is missing are the "famous" ones like God eater and Phantasy Star (even if probably is MH to be a PS clone and not viceversa)

Timeaisis

Mario & Luigi is doing really well. More than I thought it would, honestly. Wow MH4. 3DS is gonna have a killer holiday with that and X/Y.

wrowa

Maybe even later. They have zero competition now, and competition is the only thing that pushes technology forward. I guess phones might push them a bit though.

Well, they'll likely struggle to keep the 3DS relevant for as long in the US/EU. Those regions are the main problem.

Nah, One Piece Unlimited World RED, Toriko Something Something and that Shingeki no Kyojin game are Hunting Action games as well. It's just that 3DS is getting mostly licensed ones while the original titles are going to the Vita.
One Piece will murder them all outside of god eater 2 if its some what decent. I hope its good , I love One Piece :D

I am sure dq11 will be on 3DS. More will be announced next year I think. I am still hoping that the 3ds monolith soft game will be announced (the one with the tree thing)

It could be on mobile also, if Square determines that's where the biggest audience is.

DQ always goes to the platform with the largest user base. In the traditional space, that's definitely the 3DS. However, mobile is a possibility too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is this the first time the WiiU has dipped below 5,000? It's in a dire situation right now and Zelda won't save it in Japan. Japan likes Zelda about as much as the US likes Dragon Quest.

Well, not so much, when we talk about toon-link Zeldas.
WW sold a lot on the GC (over 700K if I remember correctly), PH was near to hit the million mark and ST even if underperfomed was able to reach 500k (maybe?)
But WW HD will not have a great impact, I agree. But mostly because of the Wii U, than because of Zelda.

It could be on mobile also, if Square determines that's where the biggest audience is.

DQ always goes to the platform with the largest user base. In the traditional space, that's definitely the 3DS. However, mobile is a possibility too.
could also be mutil platforms , se said they are looking into that for dq.

Tripon

No way, DQ is many things, but its always been made for a traditional gaming audience. To put the game on mobile would mean that Square-Enix would basically have to create a new audience for DQ made up of casual players.

I just don't see that happening.

Glass Rebel

I guess we could see Pokémon Z (or whatever it's called) next year but there were 2 years between BW and B2W2. I dunno.

If DQXI is on traditional platforms, it will be on 3DS. SE is building the audience with remakes so the chances are pretty high. Not necessarily in 2014 though.

I don't think Monolith is working on a 3DS game. That tree thingy was only some art for their Kyoto studio which is only helping in asset creation.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

I doubt it.

Although Square Enix is the publisher, DQ is handled by the series creator Yuji Horii and its studio, Armor Project. 3DS is the platform.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No way, DQ is many things, but its always been made for a traditional gaming audience. To put the game on mobile would mean that Square-Enix would basically have to create a new audience for DQ made up of casual players.

I just don't see that happening.

I think that the recent announcement for DQM2 remake for Jan '14 on 3DS points to that console also for a new episode
But, SE and mobile is an unpredictable couple right now

DaBoss

Why wouldn't Capcom just release an expansion under DLC, paid or otherwise?

I could see a MH4G if they announce Wii U and 3DS together, I suppose.
Mo moolah (more money)

MH4G won't be announced on 2 platforms. Never has been that way. It will be announced for 3DS and then may be ported to a home console later on.

QaaQer

Well, they'll likely struggle to keep the 3DS relevant for as long in the US/EU. Those regions are the main problem.

On the other hand, Nintendo's plan might be to keep pushing 3/2ds in the West as a cheap children's device for as long as they can. I don't know if they have a plan to try and get other buyers in the West.

YuChai

I still don't understand the number.
Someone said Capcom shipped 2M physical copies.
And it already sold out now.
And these 1.7~1.8m copies including the digital DL version.
How it works?

QaaQer

I still don't understand the number.
Someone said Capcom shipped 2M physical copies.
And it already sold out now.
And these 1.7~1.8m copies including the digital DL version.
How it works?

In the Japanese market, retailers pay for their copies and cannot return them. So, from capcom's perspective, each shipped copy is a sold copy. 2M

However, from our perspective, the important number is how many people ponied up the money for the game. 1.8M

faridmon

3ds_vita_mh34tmef2.png

OK, that puts things into perspective.

Holy Shit!

YuChai

In the Japanese market, retailers pay for their copies and cannot return them. So, from capcom's perspective, each shipped copy is a sold copy. 2M

However, from our perspective, the important number is how many people ponied up the money for the game. 1.8M

so assuming 10% (0.18M) of people bought the dl version.
Only 75~80% (1.62M) of physical copy has been sold?

Glass Rebel

Famitsu has 1.875 million
inlcuding download cards
excluding direct downloads through the eShop and only 2 days of sales

I wouldn't be surprised if it's tracking ahead of P3rd come next week.

QaaQer

If the numbers are right, then yup. 75-80% sell through at retail. Pretty outstanding numbers, so I wouldn't qualify it with an 'only'.

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 37, 2013 (September 9th - September 15th):[/B]

3DS - 298,354
PS3 - 8,640
PSV - 6,083
[b]WIU - 4,842[/b]
PSP - 4,642
WII - 1,060
360 - 113

The OP doesn't include 360 figures.

Also, Wii U is ~600 away from its lowest all-time weekly levels.

wrowa

Media Create reports 1.7m sold physical copies of MH4, so that's about how many games have been sold in stores. Famitsu, who is also tracking download cards, reports 1.85m for MH4. If both trackers are roughly on the same page (and they don't need to be), we can assume that about 100k download cards have been sold.

Neither Famitsu nor Media Create have insight into purely digital sales made on the eShop, so we don't know that number. So, those aren't accounted for in either number.

Also worth keeping in mind is that Famitsu and Media Create report sales for the first 2 days MH was on the market, while the 2m shipment was for the first 4 days.

Media create doesn't include download cards so at least 1.7 million were sold at retail. Famitsu doesn't track downloads but it does track download cards. Hence, it shows a higher total of 1.8 million.

YuChai

Media Create reports 1.7m sold physical copies of MH4, so that's about how many games have been sold in stores. Famitsu, who is also tracking download cards, reports 1.85m for MH4. If both trackers are roughly on the same page (and they don't need to be), we can assume that about 100k download cards have been sold.

Neither Famitsu nor Media Create have insight into purely digital sales made on the eShop, so we don't know that number. So, those aren't accounted for in either number.

Also worth keeping in mind is that Famitsu and Media Create report sales for the first 2 days MH was on the market, while the 2m shipment was for the first 4 days.

will they include the number of the special bundled package? (3DS LL + game)?
It's counted as physical copies?

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 37, 2013 (September 9th - September 15th):[/B]

3DS - 298,354
PS3 - 8,640
PSV - 6,083
[b]WIU - 4,842[/b]
PSP - 4,642
WII - 1,060
360 - 113

The OP doesn't include 360 figures.

Also, Wii U is ~600 away from its lowest all-time weekly levels.

itGuo2cd67cwX.gif

Dat WiiU and Vita momentum lol. I feel like 3DS will be the only console having 100k+ weeks in hardware.

Top Bottom