• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

BadWolf

Damn that was a good week.

Huge bump for PS4.

Wonder if Japanese console gamer tastes will maybe start changing to be a little more western?

Their own devs aren't doing much and I can't imagine that all of them will be content with playing just handheld games while the rest of the world keeps pushing the envelope with consoles.

Effect

Better, even without digital (Famitsu numbers)

BxvLb5VIUAAfSnR.png:large

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/512226664483680256

Now to see if Nintendo can get buyers to double dip on the Wii U version. The Wii U version has to have something significant to do that. We still don't know what the Wii U only mode or modes are going to be. Smash Run is just for the 3DS version.

Glad to see Hyrule Warriors still selling, if slowly. 100K in what the third or fourth week is okay right? Bad? Average and expected?

Busaiku

Now to see if Nintendo can get buyers to double dip on the Wii U version. The Wii U version has to have something significant to do that. We still don't know what the Wii U only mode or modes are going to be. Smash Run is just for the 3DS version.
The Wii U game will not sell.
Unless they include 3DS copies for free or something.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Super impressed by Smash, but most surprised by Destiny and the PS4 bump tbh!

Bruno MB

01./00. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 987.239 / NEW <80-100%>

There goes my chance of winning this month's prediction league, I was hoping that the million units Nintendo announced included Monday restock.

shink

Great for SSB, but not much of a hardware boost. And wow at the sales last year compared to this year for the 3DS.

Darius

Banned
Destiny is quite irrelevant in Japan, sales rise is almost only due to the white PS4 released last week, Destiny is just a bonus.

Far more telling are the PSV numbers...

NotLiquid

Destiny on PS4 had a debut that equalled MGSV GZ, which was the highest PS4 debut.

Wonder if it will have legs.

I think the Destiny boost can be partially offset by the fact that the White PS4 launched with it, and Japan has a thing for new console variations. It's a decent boost but like the occasional Wii U boosts I don't think it's going to stick.

zroid

Banned
Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

04./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 47.065 / 2.469.211 (-26%)

Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

03./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 61.095 / 2.443.027 <80-100%> (+1%)

that is quite a discrepancy

Smash did great, but it's Smash, so nothing too surprising there. I really hope the 3DS version won't hurt the definitive version too much, though.

And I didn't think I could be surprised by Xbox One numbers but that is just amazingly bad. Crazy how it started at the bottom and still managed to fall so hard. Maybe it can reach three digit numbers next week?

Impressed by Destiny. Wonder if it will hold well.

Good on Smash. Wonder if the Wii U version can at least match Mario Kart 8? At least the 3DS version will help pay for development.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I wouldn't bet on that, seeing how Nintendo gave priority to the 3ds version from release date to gimping the Wii U version adopting the noble parity principle. But the Wii U version will still sell something for being the best version for local multiplayer, having the best controls and looking miles better than the 3ds one.

mrhej

I remember hearing a story that said Smash and Destiny were competing in sales in Japan. So that was bullshit.

Salex_

Nintendo really made some weird decision to not maximize their sales. Announcing a new 3DS just before Smash Bros 3DS comes out? New 3DS missing the holiday season in the west?

It'll be interesting to see how many people are waiting to buy the new 3DS in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Destiny on PS4 had a debut that equalled MGSV GZ, which was the highest PS4 debut.

Wonder if it will have legs.

Probably not, but that's not important.
the PS4 bump is.
As I was saying last week, it is clear to me that PS4 has way more potential than Wii U. When a Wii U game hits, HW bump is insignificant; when PS4 game hits...I mean, this is a bigger bump than the one generated by MK8, a game that debuted with more than 300k, or a higher bump that the one generated by Hyrule Warriors, that registered similar debut numbers

Jigolo

Damn at that Destiny boost. That is really surprising. Makes me wonder what kind of boost BB, type-0, FFXV, and KH3 will give.

BadWolf

I think the Destiny boost can be partially offset by the fact that the White PS4 launched with it, and Japan has a thing for new console variations. It's a decent boost but like the occasional Wii U boosts I don't think it's going to stick.

The bump shows that the PS4 still has life in it as long as it has the games Japan likes, which is a great sign.

mclem

When will Japan be seeing Amiibo... and will we get any meaningful numbers relating to them? I assume they won't count on the charts (unless they're bundled with games?)

StormKing

Destiny is quite irrelevant in Japan, sales rise is almost only due to the white PS4 releases last year, Destiny is just a bonus.

Far more telling are the PSV numbers...

If the white PS4 bundle did this well, I wonder what the metallic PS4 bundle will do.

Mario Kart 8 was a smaller Wii U bump but it kept the system above 10k for about 5 weeks.

-Horizon-

Only 10K bump for 3DS with Smash? :/

Even PS4 got a bigger bump thanks to Destiny. Than again, probably less people had a PS4 than a 3DS so more people went out to buy a PS4.

A drop from 25k to 3k and no games in the top 20 in its second week. Damn, Xone.
#cradletothegrave

Was not expecting such a sharp bump for the PS4 due to Destiny, given how the WiiU's bumps during key releases weren't as dramatic. And it isn't even an exclusive like MK8.

Only 10K bump for 3DS with Smash? :/

Even PS4 got a bigger bump thanks to Destiny. Than again, probably less people had a PS4 than a 3DS so more people went out to buy a PS4.

No one is going to buy a 3ds when there's a new model announced to come out next year.

Nintendo shouldn't have announced the new model so early. They should start launching hardware 1 week after the announcement keep demand high.

Top Bottom