• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
TGS starts today right? Are most of the announcements usually done before TGS? Just wondering on whether we should expect any TGS announcements.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Peléo;130445609 said:
This isn´t actually Smash4 weekly sales, it is just the first 3 days.

Pretty much all listed "first week" sales for Media Create/Famitsu range from 2-4 days. It doesn't really matter.

boingball

Nice bump for the PS4. As Sony expected Destiny is their most important game for the Japanese market. Though obviously the PS4 expects only to be the successor of the 360 with this approach and numbers. The Xbox One, the All-in-One-Entertainment System, will not be the successor to the 360, it is already racing fast down to the current numbers the 360 is selling.

I'm not sure I thought there would be anyone on this planet who would have reacted this way towards the predictable results we've seen.
yeah i don't get the recent resurgence of xbone supporters lately, its fate was set in stone before the generation even began.

Yo-kai Watch had a bigger fanbase, but it still outsold its predecessor total sales in the first week and gave the system a modest jump (compared to MH and Pokemon) of a little over 100%.

I think it is much more likely the HW boost by Smash suffers more from selling to the same fanbase than n3DS. Sales dropped by just 20% (Famitsu) 21% (Media Create) from W35 to W36 despite W36 being a full week post n3DS announcement (both trackers showed growth from W34 to W35). Unless Nintendo had a huge marketing push for n3DS that I didn't know about I seriously doubt 3DS sales would have gone below 20k let alone hit four digits.

Sales for 3DS will of course decline as the release of n3DS comes (why else would they drop 20% W36), but I think its effect is over blown. I dunno what we'll learn in a month other than n3DS selling a ton of units first week :p

Do they track PC games BTW? I'm guessing not as I've never seen them, if retail copies of PC games are even sold in Japan.
Yokai Watch was still growing when the sequel released, its not a surprise it was outsold so quick.

Hardware always drop when a revision gets announced. Smash's hw boost didn't suffer from anything besides the revision's imminent release. What do you mean by smash selling to the same fanbase? its the first time the series has appeared on the 3ds, sure its audience overlaps with mh/pokemon/yw, that doesn't mean it doesn't push hardware, by that logic no sequel would push any hardware.

First week > 2nd week (Famitsu)
Weeks till <1000

X360 40
Xbox 13
XB1 ???
next week?

Shit week for Vita. Boo.

No, you won't. Whether it's 3DS saturation or the New 3DS announcement, the numbers would look the same. New 3DS will definitely be strong out of the gate, and there has been 3DS saturation talk all year. You'll just be having the same argument in a month, with different numbers.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. It has changeable faceplates. It only has to sell 1M though.
How is the 3ds saturated if its selling the most hardware every week? There's no such thing as saturation when it comes to consoles, as long as its supported with software, it'll keep selling, simple as that.

Look at DS sales.

that is quite a discrepancy
It's not if you look at the LTD for both, ones just higher to sync the final the numbers.

Nintendo really made some weird decision to not maximize their sales. Announcing a new 3DS just before Smash Bros 3DS comes out? New 3DS missing the holiday season in the west?

It'll be interesting to see how many people are waiting to buy the new 3DS in Japan.
On the contrary, they did maximize sales by doing this, they get rid of old stock thanks to ssb, they're in no rush to sell the revision when there's plenty of other big games that will sell it by the end of the year.

Nice bump for the PS4. As Sony expected Destiny is their most important game for the Japanese market. Though obviously the PS4 expects only to be the successor of the 360 with this approach and numbers. The Xbox One, the All-in-One-Entertainment System, will not be the successor to the 360, it is already racing fast down to the current numbers the 360 is selling.
the shiny color bundle is the bigger reason the ps4 sold, destiny is more there for the ride.

Eolz

As Sony expected Destiny is their most important game for the Japanese market.
Uh? Wouldn't the games coming in 2015 be their most important games for this market, as they expected?
They just advertised Destiny a lot more and put it in a different pack, I don't think they thought it would be an extremely important title for the japanese.

Bruno MB

Do they track PC games BTW? I'm guessing not as I've never seen them, if retail copies of PC games are even sold in Japan.

Enterbrain tracks them, they have a monthly PC sales ranking.

As a sample, here's an old chart from May 2007.

3VnKm8r.jpg

lo zaffo

Thanks. I had been confused by the French and didn't understand what this was earlier in the thread.

Nice debut! I'd say that this indicates that the 3DS market is extremely healthy in Japan. It will be very interesting to see how the 3DS edition does in the rest of the world and how the Wii U version does overall.

I see (new) Nintendo 3Ds being a better (local/internet) multi-player machine than Wii U, so Super Smash Brothers should do better on 3Ds overall.

Ty4on

Yokai Watch was still growing when the sequel released, its not a surprise it was outsold so quick.

Hardware always drop when a revision gets announced. Smash's hw boost didn't suffer from anything besides the revision's imminent release. What do you mean by smash selling to the same fanbase? its the first time the series has appeared on the 3ds, sure its audience overlaps with mh/pokemon/yw, that doesn't mean it doesn't push hardware, by that logic no sequel would push any hardware.

Because Smash boosted sales from 30k to 40k while MH4 boosted sales from 80k to 270k.

I never said HW didn't drop, just that it didn't drop by a big amount (just 20%) and wouldn't explain the lackluster HW sales when a big game was launched.

prwxv3

The PS4 will probably have a large drop next week but its rather hard to wrap my head around this boost it got from destiny.

MilesTeg

Banned
Xbone actually did better than I thought it would haha.

Smash Bros not significantly boosting hardware was expected, current 3DS models in Japan are at their saturation point. Been obvious for awhile, just look at the minor boost when Yokai Watch 2 released which did better numbers than Smash.

Destiny better than expected particularly boosting PS4 sales. I've been wondering for awhile if Japan would eventually become conditioned to western console software, as there isn't much else releasing releasing these days.

gretos

Neo Member
What's the total sale of MK7 in first week?

I think SSB for the first time outsold a MK game and if that's true then I think Smash U will outsale MK8.

Poor Xbox One how much longer before it falls to 1,000. This is worse than VitaTV and PSPGo. I can't imagine these sales were worthwhile to Microsoft.

Youkai Watch doing well.

Smash had a nice opening.

Acosta

If PS4 gets that kind of boost by Destiny, I feel a bit more optimistic about the demand for the thing once it gets something important for Japan (a bit!)

Triumphal sales for Smash, AAA+ move from Nintendo.

Because Smash boosted sales from 30k to 40k while MH4 boosted sales from 80k to 270k.

I never said HW didn't drop, just that it didn't drop by a big amount (just 20%) and wouldn't explain the lackluster HW sales when a big game was launched.
hw didn't drop much because of the big game launch, yet its still lackluster coz of the imminent revision.

you can't expect hw to drop alot and at the same time expect a big hw boost from smash, its one or the other.

mh4 didn't have deal with any of this, if mh4u (yes the upcoming expansion) switched launch dates with ssb, you'd still see the 3ds selling the same way, the fact that ssb stopped the 3ds from dropping to sub 10k sales by now is a feat in itself.

saying ssb is only selling to the same fanbase because it didn't sell much hardware on launch week is lunacy if you consider that it sold nearly 1m, even if it boosted hw by 200k, that leaves 800k sw sales to the current 3ds fanbase.

what you're failing to grasp is that practically everyone that wants a 3ds would rather wait for the revision but because ssb is coming out before the revision, people simply just can't wait.

What's the total sale of MK7 in first week?

I think SSB for the first time outsold a MK game and if that's true then I think Smash U will outsale MK8.
Melee outsold MK:DD, so it won't be the first time.

even if smash wii u doesn't outsell mk8, ssb3ds/wii u combined will sell better than mk7/mk8 combined.

Poor Xbox One how much longer before it falls to 1,000. This is worse than VitaTV and PSPGo. I can't imagine these sales were worthwhile to Microsoft.

Youkai Watch doing well.

Smash had a nice opening.
sub 1k next week.

I know about the SSB's numbers I'm asking for Mario Kart 7 ^^;

423,619 on Media Create, but that was back when the install base wasn't even 3 million yet

Weekly sales are too low to bother making the sales comparison chart.

Anyway, it's behind every main Pokémon entry and it will probably be the first title to miss the 5 million mark.

P.S. I'm not including Pokémon Black 2 / White 2.

it shows up this week on Famitsu, could you use that or is your thing based on Media Create instead?

Bruno MB

Hey, what happened to the Pokemon X/Y vs other Pokemon gens comparison?

Weekly sales are too low to bother making the sales comparison chart.

Anyway, it's behind every main Pokémon entry and it will probably be the first title to miss the 5 million mark.

P.S. I'm not including Pokémon Black 2 / White 2.

Ty4on

what you're failing to grasp is that practically everyone that wants a 3ds would rather wait for the revision but because ssb is coming out before the revision, people simply just can't wait.

No they can't. I already stated sales dropped by just 20% right after the announcement when the only big title released was DQX. 20% by far isn't "practically everyone" unless you imagine DQX was supposed to magically boost sales by more than its shipment or something :p

I still can't believe the N3DS announcement didn't murder 3DS' numbers.

It'll probably be a slow decline untill it hits the market as many who want a 3DS either don't know about the new model or don't feel like waiting a month. I haven't followed many revision launches, but with Vita 2000 sales of the old model dropped to 3k the week before 2000 launched.

M3d10n

Nintendo really made some weird decision to not maximize their sales. Announcing a new 3DS just before Smash Bros 3DS comes out? New 3DS missing the holiday season in the west?

It'll be interesting to see how many people are waiting to buy the new 3DS in Japan.

Actually, it's a smart strategy. Upgrading to the New 3DS is not free, so it would compete with Smash for existing 3DS owners' money. Releasing them almost a month apart means people's wallets will have been refilled. Some Smash owners might even keep their old 3DS for local multiplayer.

yeah i don't get the recent resurgence of xbone supporters lately, its fate was set in stone before the generation even began.

Tier 2 launch was just a days ago and mysteriously tons of xbox fans with new accounts registered on many forums or started commenting on blogs ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, I was reading a time article today mentioning that the recent tax hike caused a 7% decrease in the Japanese economy YoY from Apr-June. I guess it makes sense that entertainment got hit harder (as I think we're noticing here). There also might be another tax hike coming soon, although lots of folks want to get it delayed...

Also, I think Nintendo should put Nintendo Land back in over Wii Sports Club in their Japanese Wii U bundle. From what I can tell they put some super limited version Wii Sports Club (no online for example) in the package so in the end, the console has now become a worse value than at launch. They also got rid of the good bundle right when Mario Kart 8 released, which I was think was a huge mistake. I doubt the sales from NSMBU & Wii Party U separately are suddenly going to make up for the fact that the remaining bundle is super unattractive.

test_account

XP-39C²
How is the 3ds saturated if its selling the most hardware every week? There's no such thing as saturation when it comes to consoles, as long as its supported with software, it'll keep selling, simple as that.

Look at DS sales.
Isnt saturation usually referring to YOY comparison?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vita sold 500k consoles between last year's week 38-52.
Since Vita is selling better YoY I think that there is a strong possibility that it will sell more than 300k even without new hardware.

I have serious doubts Vita 2014 Q4 sales will manage to match 2013. There isn't the proper software, neither revision or Vita TV.

Yo-kai Watch had a bigger fanbase, but it still outsold its predecessor total sales in the first week and gave the system a modest jump (compared to MH and Pokemon) of a little over 100%.

I think it is much more likely the HW boost by Smash suffers more from selling to the same fanbase than n3DS. Sales dropped by just 20% (Famitsu) 21% (Media Create) from W35 to W36 despite W36 being a full week post n3DS announcement (both trackers showed growth from W34 to W35). Unless Nintendo had a huge marketing push for n3DS that I didn't know about I seriously doubt 3DS sales would have gone below 20k let alone hit four digits.

Sales for 3DS will of course decline as the release of n3DS comes (why else would they drop 20% W36), but I think its effect is over blown. I dunno what we'll learn in a month other than n3DS selling a ton of units first week :p

3DS sales 4 weeks before YW2

3DS sales 4 weeks after YW2 (Obon isn't included)

This doesn't look like modest jump to me and MH4 / X/Y isn't the target that if you don't match you fail.

First Smash for handheld and it's selling to the same fanbase? You still don't get Smash (and YW2) is the only reason after n3DS announcement 3DS sales remain so high.

Road

Biggest first week for Nintendo games since 1996 (excluding Pokemon):

1. 987,239 / 987,239 - [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS {2014-09-13} (2 days)
2. 936,734 / 4,584,787 - [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii {2009-12-03} (4 days)
3. 865,024 / 6,428,457 - [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. {2006-05-25} (4 days)
4. 816,198 / 2,315,401 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl {2008-01-31} (4 days)
5. 721,786 / 4,171,720 - [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf {2012-11-08} (4 days)
6. 608,147 / 3,717,665 - [WII] Mario Kart Wii {2008-04-10} (4 days)
7. 451,932 / 2,306,431 - [3DS] Mario Kart 7 {2011-12-01} (4 days)
8. 430,185 / 2,290,720 - [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 {2012-07-28} (2 days)
9. 416,124 / 5,082,322 - [NDS] Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day {2005-12-29} (4 days)
10. 411,025 / 1,657,909 - [3DS] Tomodachi Life {2013-04-18} (4 days)

Recent Western new IP first week:

137,378 - [PS3, PS4] Destiny {2014-09-11} (SCE)
129,983 - [PS3] The Last of Us {2013-06-20} (SCE) *1
104,690 - [PS3, PS4] Watch Dogs {2014-06-26} (Ubisoft)
93,518 - [PS3, 360] Red Dead Redemption {2010-10-07} (Take-Two Interactive)
93,183 - [WII] Just Dance Wii {2011-10-13} (Nintendo) *2
56,345 - [PS3, 360] L.A. Noire {2011-07-07} (Rockstar)
34,054 - [360] Assassin's Creed {2007-11-29} (Ubisoft)

*1: Sony is Japanese, but TLoU is essentially a Western game.
*2: Just Dance is a Western game, but it was adapted to Japanese music by Nintendo.

Famitsu sales.

---------------

Regarding the FFXV demo download code with FFT-0, looking forward to pictures of bomba bins overflowing with used copies of Type-0.

Mory Dunz

Biggest first week for Nintendo games since 1996 (excluding Pokemon):

1. 987,239 / 987,239 - [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS {2014-09-13} (2 days)
2. 936,734 / 4,584,787 - [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii {2009-12-03} (4 days)
3. 865,024 / 6,428,457 - [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. {2006-05-25} (4 days)
4. 816,198 / 2,315,401 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl {2008-01-31} (4 days)
5. 721,786 / 4,171,720 - [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf {2012-11-08} (4 days)
6. 608,147 / 3,717,665 - [WII] Mario Kart Wii {2008-04-10} (4 days)
7. 451,932 / 2,306,431 - [3DS] Mario Kart 7 {2011-12-01} (4 days)
8. 430,185 / 2,290,720 - [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 {2012-07-28} (2 days)
9. 416,124 / 5,082,322 - [NDS] Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day {2005-12-29} (4 days)
10. 411,025 / 1,657,909 - [3DS] Tomodachi Life {2013-04-18} (4 days)

Recent Western new IP first week:

137,378 - [PS3, PS4] Destiny {2014-09-11} (SCE)
129,983 - [PS3] The Last of Us {2013-06-20} (SCE) *1
104,690 - [PS3, PS4] Watch Dogs {2014-06-26} (Ubisoft)
93,518 - [PS3, 360] Red Dead Redemption {2010-10-07} (Take-Two Interactive)
93,183 - [WII] Just Dance Wii {2011-10-13} (Nintendo)
56,345 - [PS3, 360] L.A. Noire {2011-07-07} (Rockstar)
34,054 - [360] Assassin's Creed {2007-11-29} (Ubisoft) *2

*1: Sony is Japanese, but TLoU is essentially a Western game.
*2: Just Dance is a Western game, but it was adapted to Japanese music by Nintendo.

Famitsu sales.

---------------

Regarding the FFXV demo download code with FFT-0, looking forward to pictures of bomba bins overflowing with used copies of Type-0.

Wow, nothing except Pkmn in terms of 1st Party has ever opened over a million?
Them legs.

Ty4on

This doesn't look like modest jump to me and MH4 / X/Y isn't the target that if you don't match you fail.

First Smash for handheld and it's selling to the same fanbase? You still don't get Smash is the only reason after n3DS announcement 3DS sales remain so high.

It's a healthy doubling over four weeks, but I still think it is modest when you take into consideration that YW2 is the biggest title released so far this year and the 3DS was tracking way behind its sales last year. Of course it is really good for a sequel on the same platform to double console sales for a month as well, I didn't used modest as a synonyme for bad. I use the word modest because 60k in a week used to be quite common for the 3DS. Weekly average in 2013 was 94k and if we extrapolate the ratio between 2013 and 2014 so far then weekly sales in 2014 will be 50k.

I don't think Smash boosted last week's sales (if you consider those abnormally high post n3DS announcement) which as I already said were down, but not by a big amount. By same fanbase I meant Nintendo fanbase.

Huh Red Dead Redemption had a pretty good opening considering its a western game

I guess Japan has a rockstar fanbase of some size?

L Thammy

Oh my god what the hell happened to the One? Jesus I was expecting 10k, maybe 8k at the worst.

You know what, I'm upset at Microsoft right now. The 360 sold close to 2 million units in Japan. They had good will and a good library of games and they pissed it away. They let exclusives like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata slip away from them, and they had no software ready at launch. Not to mention releasing the console a year later. Japan was clearly not a priority. Imagine if they released the One day-and-date with Titanfall back in March? It would have been HUGE! This is Microsoft's own fault, no two ways about it.

Did people suddenly develop expectations for the XB1 over the last two weeks? What in the world?

Smash U is going to be really interesting. I don't think it will sell poorly per se, but there's a very good chance that lot of customers will be satisfied with only the 3DS version.

Huh Red Dead Redemption had a pretty good opening considering its a western game

I guess Japan has a rockstar fanbase of some size?

I wonder if Western-developed open world and shooter games will grow this gen.

Keyouta

Damn, Destiny sold more PS4s than Mario Kart 8 did Wii Us. Good on them.

Great results for SSB 3DS as well, hopefully it can keep it up. Best Smash launch so far!

Madouu

The comparison with other nintendo software first week sales really puts things into perspective, impressive start for smash.

Good sales week overall it looks like, nice for a change.

Top Bottom