• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's a healthy doubling over four weeks, but I still think it is modest when you take into consideration that YW2 is the biggest title released so far this year and the 3DS was tracking way behind its sales last year. Of course it is really good for a sequel on the same platform to double console sales for a month as well, I didn't used modest as a synonyme for bad. I use the word modest because 60k in a week used to be quite common for the 3DS. Weekly average in 2013 was 94k and if we extrapolate the ratio between 2013 and 2014 so far then weekly sales in 2014 will be 50k.

I don't think Smash boosted last week's sales (if you consider those abnormally high post n3DS announcement) which as I already said were down, but not by a big amount. By same fanbase I meant Nintendo fanbase.

YW2 bump didn't last only 4 weeks. Either way nothing can change your mind for the impact of Smash and YW2 at hw, when it's pretty obvious this is the first time hw sales happen to remain so high with a revision coming so soon.

Oh my god what the hell happened to the One? Jesus I was expecting 10k, maybe 8k at the worst.

You know what, I'm upset at Microsoft right now. The 360 sold close to 2 million units in Japan. They had good will and a good library of games and they pissed it away. They let exclusives like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata slip away from them, and they had no software ready at launch. Not to mention releasing the console a year later. Japan was clearly not a priority. Imagine if they released the One day-and-date with Titanfall back in March? It would have been HUGE! This is Microsoft's own fault, no two ways about it.

HUGE is the right word. Famitsu would give an early report already from Monday.

Xbone sure didn't waste any time going under.

3DS is having surprising longevity in the wake of the new models.

Wow, nothing except Pkmn in terms of 1st Party has ever opened over a million?
Them legs.

Well if you go by Nintendo's announcement then Smash 3DS did so when including DD sales.

No they can't. I already stated sales dropped by just 20% right after the announcement when the only big title released was DQX. 20% by far isn't "practically everyone" unless you imagine DQX was supposed to magically boost sales by more than its shipment or something :p

34k yw2

It'll probably be a slow decline untill it hits the market as many who want a 3DS either don't know about the new model or don't feel like waiting a month. I haven't followed many revision launches, but with Vita 2000 sales of the old model dropped to 3k the week before 2000 launched.
Sales didn't "just" drop by 20%, before this happened YW2 was pushing hw sales from the previous weeks of 25k~ to roughly 40k/w since its launch. Week 36 is the only one to show a drop.

If you really think ssb hw boost suffers more from selling to the same fanbase, then you haven't really been paying attention to hardware sales this year.

YW was pushing 3ds sales very well, up until around the 1m mark when it started to push 25k/w, how well YW was selling weekly directly correlates with how well the 3ds sold. It wasn't until we got near YW2's launch that it slowed down, YW2 really cannibalized YW's sales.

I dunno how you can say it "only" dropped 20% on week 36 when the previous weeks didn't get that low, that shows how significant the revision is. YW2 and ssb skew towards kids which are willing to get a 3ds now since they wouldn't be waiting for the revision, apart from that fact, these two games are the hot games atm.

YW2's launch week gave a 34k hw boost, while ssb's hw boost was 17k. YW2's fanbase was already on the 3ds while the ssb's wasn't and yet ssb provided less of a bump? To say ssb suffers from selling to the same fanbase rather than the revision means you think 17k boost is all ssb can provide on launch week.

I dunno why you say week 34 > week 35 shows growth when it was mostly statistical error, 2k is just that, besides that, it is irrelevant to bring that up, if week 36 shows a drop with ssb releasing the week after, what makes you think the 3ds wouldn't drop below 20k (thats being generous) if ssb didn't existed?

its not that anyone is over blowing the revision's affect, it is warranted, its the fact that you're downplaying its affect and ignoring how good ssb is pushing hw sales despite the revision's affect, and by saying 3ds hardware has performed mediocre this year despite big releases, you're also downplaying YW1/2's system selling power.

most of what you're saying isn't wrong per-say, just that you're looking at things the wrong way. consoles that use to sell more than 3ds weekly have dropped way harder due to revisions, this one time where a big game is releasing before the revision is out that shows it's mitigating the effect and you think that the game is failing to provide a big bump rather than thinking its lucky its even providing a bump at all.

1. 987,239 / 987,239 - [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS {2014-09-13} (2
Geez I didn't even realise this.

It's a healthy doubling over four weeks, but I still think it is modest when you take into consideration that YW2 is the biggest title released so far this year and the 3DS was tracking way behind its sales last year. Of course it is really good for a sequel on the same platform to double console sales for a month as well, I didn't used modest as a synonyme for bad. I use the word modest because 60k in a week used to be quite common for the 3DS. Weekly average in 2013 was 94k and if we extrapolate the ratio between 2013 and 2014 so far then weekly sales in 2014 will be 50k.

I don't think Smash boosted last week's sales (if you consider those abnormally high post n3DS announcement) which as I already said were down, but not by a big amount. By same fanbase I meant Nintendo fanbase.
It's not just over 4 weeks and its not just YW2, YW itself has boosted 3ds numbers all year. To call the biggest system sellers this year as "modest", well I dunno whats great then.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I just realized Destiny opened higher on PS4 than Yakuza Isshin did, That's pretty impressive o_O.

Also comgnet preorders at the end of 9/17...

Bayo 2 - still 19 =(
Fatal Frame - 24 (up 1)

Ty4on

most of what you're saying isn't wrong per-say, just that you're looking at things the wrong way. consoles that use to sell more than 3ds weekly have dropped way harder due to revisions, this one time where a big game is releasing before the revision is out that shows it's mitigating the effect and you think that the game is failing to provide a big bump rather than thinking its lucky its even providing a bump at all.

Geez I didn't even realise this.

It's not just over 4 weeks and its not just YW2, YW itself has boosted 3ds numbers all year. To call the biggest system sellers this year as "modest", well I dunno whats great then.

You are assuming a lot of things. Feel free to point out mine, but don't reply with another one. I pointed out sales grew from W34 to W35 because n3DS was announced at the end of W35 to make sure it was the "peak" (for a lack of a better word) before sales declined due to the n3DS. I used W36 as a reference point for 3DS sales post n3DS announcement so we can estimate HW sales grew by one third due to SSB unless some other big factors came into play.

I'm not quite sure if I understood it right, but are you attributing part of the reason sales declined last week to YW2 bump coming to an end? Sales for YW2 declined by just 6% last week. I don't think sales would have dropped below 20k if SSB didn't excist because then sales would have to drop by more than 30% this week which I don't have a reason for. DQX might have hidden some of the drop last week, but I don't see how it would be big enough to cause a much bigger drop this week.

I called 3DS sales modest. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.
YW2 bump didn't last only 4 weeks. Either way nothing can change your mind for the impact of Smash and YW2 at hw, when it's pretty obvious this is the first time hw sales happen to remain so high with a revision coming so soon.
You didn't answer my question regarding W36.

I know I'm looking at these numbers in a cramped matter and haven't graphed them, but I don't think a million seller bumping HW sales WoW by 33% is a big impact. Maybe there will be a huge boost when n3DS launches (and seen as a big boost in Smash sales post n3DS). Regarding Yo-Kai Watch I originally said 3DS sales had been mediocre (compared to earlier years) despite Yo-Kai Watch 2.

small44

I have serious doubts Vita 2014 Q4 sales will manage to match 2013. There isn't the proper software, neither revision or Vita TV.

3DS sales 4 weeks before YW2

3DS sales 4 weeks after YW2 (Obon isn't included)

This doesn't look like modest jump to me and MH4 / X/Y isn't the target that if you don't match you fail.

First Smash for handheld and it's selling to the same fanbase? You still don't get Smash (and YW2) is the only reason after n3DS announcement 3DS sales remain so high.
There is at least Phantasy Star Nova

how is the 3ds saturated when its consistently the top selling hardware?

You are assuming a lot of things. Feel free to point out mine, but don't reply with another one. I pointed out sales grew from W34 to W35 because n3DS was announced at the end of W35 to make sure it was the "peak" (for a lack of a better word) before sales declined due to the n3DS. I used W36 as a reference point for 3DS sales post n3DS announcement so we can estimate HW sales grew by one third due to SSB unless some other big factors came into play.

I'm not quite sure if I understood it right, but are you attributing part of the reason sales declined last week to YW2 bump coming to an end? Sales for YW2 declined by just 6% last week. I don't think sales would have dropped below 20k if SSB didn't excist because then sales would have to drop by more than 30% this week which I don't have a reason for. DQX might have hidden some of the drop last week, but I don't see how it would be big enough to cause a much bigger drop this week.

I called 3DS sales modest. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.
I'm not sure what I'm assuming but ok.

once again week 34 > 35 didn't show growth, that 2k increase is just statistical noise, for the past few weeks it has sold consistently in the 35k-40k area, and then all of a sudden it drops under 30k in week 36, its not like a big game came out in week 35 and then sales normalized the week after, which shows its definitely the revision doing its work.

knowing that much, its safe to say if ssb didn't exist, it would have dropped even more in week 37, week 36 showed an 8k drop, a further 8k-10k drop in week 37 puts it squarely below 20k.

what do you mean you don't have a reason for a 30% drop? the reason is because of the revision, is it that hard to understand?

watershed

Banned
Nice Smash numbers. 3ds is still selling despite the New 3ds already being announced. I wonder when sales will really bottom out in anticipation of the new model.

This must be the highest debut in terms of sales for Smash in its history. I wonder of this goodwill will carry forth with the Wii u released. Expect at least 250k for Wii U smash first week.

The two are unrelated.

The idea that consoles or any product can sell indefinitely is nonsensical.
how is it not related?

consoles can sell indefinitely if they keep getting supported with software, its just that its not feasible due to competition and aging tech.

for the most part consoles do sell for as long as they are supported by new software

yeah its more of a works better in theory than practice, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, we're just not at that point yet where consoles don't have to be replaced to keep receiving new software.

I'm not sure how you think 3ds saturation is a thing when it keeps selling the best, wouldn't saturation show the exact opposite?

Well if it's not saturated Nintendo is going to have some huge issues when they launch the next handheld.
Launching the successor when the brand is still selling is always a better idea than squeezing out every last sale.

I'm not really sure why it takes explaining.

The 3DS can be the best selling. It can be the worst selling. It's irrelevant as to whether the market for the product is being saturated.

You can be the market leader and still be facing saturation issues.

Population and market segment size constrains continued sales at a certain point.

This isn't specific to the 3DS.

I'm not sure how you think 3ds saturation is a thing when it keeps selling the best, wouldn't saturation show the exact opposite?

Um no, saturation would only show up as slower sales vs itself, not against the market.

Also even in a fantasy world without competion, eventually there are no longer any people who want your product.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Consoles cannot sell indefinitely, and this is what we're seeing with 3DS right now: there IS saturation, otherwise it would've continued selling as much as last year, more or less. And that's why there's a big revision coming in a few weeks.

I'm not really sure why it takes explaining.

The 3DS can be the best selling. It can be the worst selling. It's irrelevant as to whether the market for the product is being saturated.

You can be the market leader and still be facing saturation issues.

Population and market segment size constrains continued sales at a certain point.

This isn't specific to the 3DS.
Gimme a reason why you think the 3ds is facing market saturation, how can you possibly know what the cap for its sales are?

The dedicated consoles market as a whole has been shrinking, but that doesn't mean its shrunk enough to the point that the market leader has to face saturation.

If any console does face that problem, 3ds being the market leader would be the last and least one to be affected by it.

The DS sold 30M+, 3DS is nowhere near that and there's nothing stopping it from getting there if it gets supported by the right software. Not to say that it will happen, but the potential is there. If the 3DS is saturated, then hardware sales would drop significantly YOY, and that hasn't been the case yet.

Um no, saturation would only show up as slower sales vs itself, not against the market.

Also even in a fantasy world without competion, eventually there are no longer any people who want your product.
So every console is facing saturation besides...the vita?

The people who buy your product isn't static, it changes as much as the market itself.

If people no longer want your product, its because your product is no longer appealing, not because of saturation.

If you face saturation, it just means you have to innovate more to attract a bigger or different audience.

duckroll

I think there's a better way to explain this. You can keep selling something indefinitely by offering it on the market. If there are still people who want it, they will buy it. But the longer something stays on the market, and as more and more of the potential audience owns a product, the less you're going to sell. The goal of a company is to keep making money. The goal of a public listed company is to keep making money while keeping shareholders happy. Decreasing profits is not a good thing for shareholders because it affects dividends and stock value.

Yes, you can keep supporting a piece of hardware even as sales dwindle down. Good support could keep something on the market for longer, but it'll still be dwindling. You could sell 5 million one year, and then 3 million the next, and then 2 million, and then 1 million, and then 500k, etc. At some point, even if it's still "selling" (ie: sales are not 0, retailers are still restocking), it becomes a question of whether it is selling enough. Why have a piece of hardware in the market selling a million units a year when you could have a new piece of hardware which can sell several times that in a year, for many more years?

RalchAC

how is it not related?

consoles can sell indefinitely if they keep getting supported with software, its just that its not feasible due to competition and aging tech.

for the most part consoles do sell for as long as they are supported by new software

yeah its more of a works better in theory than practice, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, we're just not at that point yet where consoles don't have to be replaced to keep receiving new software.

Launching the successor when the brand is still selling is always a better idea than squeezing out every last sale.

Yeah, you're right, but if those device keep selling indefinitely without any succesor releasing, there would be a point where almost everybody interested would already own the device.

Obviously, you can always look for new audiences and there would be new generation of players adopting your system, but some of your old audience might move on...

In the end, your number of consoles sold will be vastly different to your real userbase. When you entered the 10th year of support sales will obviously be (usually) around 10k. How many of those 10000 sales would be people whose previous console was broken and how many would be new users?

Furthermore, I think software sales will end up declining. You can't say "as long as there is release it'll keep selling" and live in your island where technology stays stagnant. Because it doesn't. If you stay for too long doing nothing, some other company will use it against you. There would be a point where the competition could launch a 99€/$ device that would crush yours. If done well, they could eat a good chunk of the cake.

And finally you have to take into account how prices work for components. They start expensive, drop in price as they become more common in mid / low end machines and finally they rise in price again when (almost) nobody is using them.

Keeping a factory open and operative when there is little demand is expensive. Well, it always is expensive, but it's not the same dividing those fixed costs between 100, 1,000 or 100,000 units.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So I guess Samurai Chronicles 3 is now one of the bigger titles for the Vita this holiday season? After seeing the trailer, the Vita version clearly looks a lot better than the 3DS version, and the trailer only showed the 3DS version for like 3 seconds. So if the Vita is kind of the "flagship version" that seems like a fairly big win for a new Musou game where the Vita (and not the PS3) is the flagship platform.

Duckroll has already covered it to an extent.

I'm on a phone so can't examine 3DS product diffusion/cumulative sales curves. I would assume growth rate is slowing and it would show a logistic function. I would say any assumption of similar market segment size to prior generation is flawed. The consumer market has changed significantly.

But even on the hypothetical that every person in Japan, from baby to centenarian, will eventually buy/must have a 3DS the product will still face saturation and at a certain point new sales would essentially be the result of pop growth and obsolescence. Your basic premise that consoles do not undergo saturation is just plain wrong.

Also I don't know what you're talking about in terms of sales not having dropped significantly yoy. They're down something like 40%.

Tomohawk

If people no longer want your product, its because your product is no longer appealing, not because of saturation.

Well unless i'm wrong market saturation means everyone who wants your product already bought it, so its kind of the same as no longer appealing to people who don't have your product.

I think there's a better way to explain this. You can keep selling something indefinitely by offering it on the market. If there are still people who want it, they will buy it. But the longer something stays on the market, and as more and more of the potential audience owns a product, the less you're going to sell. The goal of a company is to keep making money. The goal of a public listed company is to keep making money while keeping shareholders happy. Decreasing profits is not a good thing for shareholders because it affects dividends and stock value.

Yes, you can keep supporting a piece of hardware even as sales dwindle down. Good support could keep something on the market for longer, but it'll still be dwindling. You could sell 5 million one year, and then 3 million the next, and then 2 million, and then 1 million, and then 500k, etc. At some point, even if it's still "selling" (ie: sales are not 0, retailers are still restocking), it becomes a question of whether it is selling enough. Why have a piece of hardware in the market selling a million units a year when you could have a new piece of hardware which can sell several times that in a year, for many more years?
Yeah eventually you get to a point where its not worth the trouble to keep supporting it, but thats usually due to many other factors, and I think saturation is the last of the reasons. Saturation implies you've maxed out your sales for the most part, but has that really been the case for any console? Sony doesn't release a successor because the PS2 has maxed out its sales, its only because the competition is going to release newer/better consoles that will receive support. You can bet that if the whole industry kept releasing new quality games for the PS2, and there was no competition, then Sony would have no reason to release a new console.

duckroll

Yeah eventually you get to a point where its not worth the trouble to keep supporting it, but thats usually due to many other factors, and I think saturation is the last of the reasons. Saturation implies you've maxed out your sales for the most part, but has that really been the case for any console? Sony doesn't release a successor because the PS2 has maxed out its sales, its only because the competition is going to release newer/better consoles that will receive support. You can bet that if the whole industry kept releasing new quality games for the PS2, and there was no competition, then Sony would have no reason to release a new console.

I think what you're overlooking here is that no company will want to wait until their product is in fact completely saturated before putting out the next one. That's incredibly stupid, akin to waiting for something bad to happen first before reacting. Saturation is absolutely one of the main reasons why all platform holders release new hardware. They just don't wait until it is completely saturated. If you see the signs, you prepare to introduce new products into the market. You don't wait for it to die first.

L~A

Some stats:

Smash Bros. 3DS sold +90% of its shipment.
Destiny PS4 : 70%
Destiny PS3 : 90%

Looks like most people buying Smash Bros. were current owners. (Doesn't surprise me, with the N3DS launching next month, people looking to buy the game are probably waiting for the newest model. There's also the fact that a lot of Nintendo fans probably already own the console).

Source

horuhe

I really wouldn't say that 3DS is saturated yet. I mean, I think YoY 3DS has shown symptoms to believe that is starting to have a market saturation, but we can't say that when every week is the most system sold. New 3DS was necessary to try keeping the momentum on Christmas and diminish the effect that could cause that saturation.

Dengeki Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

01./00. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} - 948.535 / NEW <90%>
02./00. [PS4] Destiny (SCE) {2014.09.11} - 90.472 / NEW <70%>
03./00. [PS3] Destiny (SCE) {2014.09.11} - 48.379 / NEW <90%>
04./00. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Revolution  (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.09.11} - 40.395 / NEW
05./02. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke  (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 31.083 / 1.295.569 (-20%)
06./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 23.029 / 75.818 (-56%)
07./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 21.094 / 1.187.972 (-18%)
08./05. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 10.489 / 129.339 (-54%)
09./09. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} - 6.361 / 689.495 (-24%)
10./11. [3DS] New Yoshi Island (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} - 5.606 / 182.652 (-15%)
11./12. [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} - 5.039 / 1.208.375 (-6%)
12./06. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (Atlas) {2014.08.28} - 4.718 / 100.149 (-66%)
13./08. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.09.04} - 4.467 / 15.452 (-59%)
14./00. [PSV] Chain Chronicle V (SEGA Networks) {2014.09.11} - 4.195 / NEW
15./23. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.06.26} - 3.371 / 175.278 (-15%)
16./20. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.08.07} - 3.328 / 128.567 (-20%)
17./24. [PS3] Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} - 3.089 / 30.383 (-21%)
18./04. [XB1] TitanFall (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} - 2.913 / 24.483 (-86%)
19./28. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} - 2.867 / 50.518 (-10%)
20./13. [PS3] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (KONAMI) {2014.09.04} - 2.794 / 8.108 (-47%)
21./16. [PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} - 2.478 / 44.342 (-50%)
22./25. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.14} - 2.461 / 101.369 (-34%)
23./14. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 2.411 / 22.431 (-53%)
24./37. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 2.050 / 3.431.619 (-12%)
25./21. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (SCE) {2014.08.21} - 2.033 / 44.425 (-50%)
26./18. [3DS] Medarot 8: Kabuto Ver. (Rocket Company) {2014.08.28} - 2.006 / 23.876 (-59%)
27./17. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.08.28} - 2.006 / 33.277 (-59%)
28./27. [PS4] Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} - 1.994 / 29.961 (-42%)
29./38. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} - 1.965 / 2.296.778 (-7%)
30./19. [3DS] Medarot 8: Kuwagata Ver. (Rocket Company) {2014.08.28} - 1.939 / 21.521 (-56%)
31./39. [3DS] Animal Crossing Tobidase (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} - 1.933 / 3.685.720 (-7%)
32./42. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} - 1.739 / 97.523 (+1%)
33./36. [PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2014.08.07} - 1.672 / 74.721 (-32%)
34./31. [PSV] Bullet Girls (D3 Publisher) {2014.08.21} - 1.624 / 45.461 (-43%)
35./49. [3DS] Mario Party Island Tour (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} - 1.583 / 427.511 (+12%)
36./41. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.04.24} - 1.583 / 258.518 (-11%)
37./54. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (SCE) {2013.12.05} - 1.561 / 382.985
38./56. [Wii] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} - 1.517 / 159.778
39./47. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} - 1.483 / 10.963 (-6%)
40./10. [XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 1.410 / 9.358 (-82%)
41./30. [PS3] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 1.350 / 4.219 (-53%)
42./45. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 1.322 / 2.961 (-19%)
43./29. [PS4] The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 1.306 / 4.362 (-57%)
44./51. [PS4] FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} - 1.233 / 9.650
45./46. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe Star (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} - 1.224 / 607.221 (-24%)
46./32. [PSV] The Walking Dead (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 1.211 / 4.049 (-57%)
47./34. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God (Capcom) {2014.09.04} - 1.194 / 3.764 (-54%)
48./52. [3DS] Pokemon X (Pokemon) {2013.10.12} - 1.182 / 2.211.031
49./26. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.2: BiBi  (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} - 1.094 / 42.221 (-69%)
50./67. [3DS] Hoppechan: Minna de Odekake! Waku Waku Hoppe Land!! (Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd.) {2014.07.17} - 1.094 / 16.103

TOP50

3DS 19
PS3 11
Vita 7
PS4 6
Wii U 3
XB1 2
Wii 1
PSP 1

TOP3/PLATFORM

[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} - 948.535 / NEW <90%>
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 31.083 / 1.295.569 (-20%)
[3DS] Dragon Quest X Online (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} - 23.029 / 75.818 (-56%)

[PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.28} - 10.489 / 129.339 (-54%)
[PSV] Chain Chronicle V (SEGA Networks) {2014.09.11} - 4.195 / NEW
[PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} - 2.478 / 44.342 (-50%)

[PS3] Destiny (SCE) {2014.09.11} - 48.379 / NEW <90%>
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Revolution (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.09.11} - 40.395 / NEW
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (Atlas) {2014.08.28} - 4.718 / 100.149 (-66%)

[PS4] Destiny (SCE) {2014.09.11} - 90.472 / NEW <70%>
[PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.09.04} - 4.467 / 15.452 (-59%)
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (SCE) {2014.08.21} - 2.033 / 44.425 (-50%)

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} - 6.361 / 689.495 (-24%)
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo Games) {2014.08.14} - 2.461 / 101.369 (-34%)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} - 1.483 / 10.963 (-6%)

[XB1] TitanFall (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} - 2.913 / 24.483 (-86%)
[XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 1.410 / 9.358 (-82%)
[XB1] Kinect Sports Rivals (Microsoft Japan) {2014.09.04} - 830 / 12.735 (-93%)

SOFTWARE

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week  (%) |  FY 2014   | FY (%)  |
| 3DS   | 1.093.902 | 76.40%    | 7.446.035  | 50.20%  |
| PS3   | 151.707   | 10.60%    | 2.470.577  | 16.60%  |
| PS4   | 104.634   | 7.30%     | 621.134    | 4.20%   |
| Vita  | 45.915    | 3.20%     | 2.366.549  | 15.90%  |
| Wii U | 17.690    | 1.20%     | 1.364.212  | 9.20%   |
| PSP   | 8.908     | 0.60%     | 444.573    | 3.00%   |
| XB1   | 7.173     | 0.50%     | 59.142     | 0.40%   |
| X360  | 1.381     | 0.10%     | 69.155     | 0.50%   |
| Total | 1.431.310 | 100.00%   | 14.841.377 | 100.00% |

HARDWARE

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week  (%) |  FY 2014  | FY (%)  |
| 3DS   | 38.461    | 45.60%    | 794.400   | 42.80%  |
| PS4   | 20.734    | 24.60%    | 206.611   | 11.10%  |
| Vita  | 10.184    | 12.10%    | 397.503   | 21.40%  |
| Wii U | 6.042     | 7.20%     | 229.613   | 12.40%  |
| PS3   | 5.231     | 6.20%     | 155.914   | 8.40%   |
| XB1   | 3.457     | 4.10%     | 26.944    | 1.50%   |
| PSP   | 225       | 0.30%     | 42.552    | 2.30%   |
| X360  | 29        | 0.00%     | 3.059     | 0.20%   |
| Total | 84.363    | 100.00%   | 1.856.596 | 100.00% |

*FY 2014 refers to the period from April 1, 2014 through March 31, 2015

Dengeki Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

Dengeki Sales Archive
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

I think what you're overlooking here is that no company will want to wait until their product is in fact completely saturated before putting out the next one. That's incredibly stupid, akin to waiting for something bad to happen first before reacting. Saturation is absolutely one of the main reasons why all platform holders release new hardware. They just don't wait until it is completely saturated. If you see the signs, you prepare to introduce new products into the market. You don't wait for it to die first.
Actually I said before that releasing a successor while the hardware is selling well is always better, besides that I think the main thing I wanna get across is that consoles will be replaced eventually no matter what, due to new generations resulting from a number of aspects that is the reality of the industry, but saturation is the last thing that should be concerning anyone.

Consoles aren't being sold like your average products, its merely a platform for the real meat of it all: the games. So can any platform holder realistically face saturation with their console if they keep receiving new games, we have practically the whole west producing AAA shooters last gen but that doesn't affect any console in the slightest, the shooter market might be saturated but consoles still sell, its only the developers that get affected not the platform holders.

I just don't think we're at a point where market saturation is a real problem or concern yet, when the industry is alot older and there's more competition in the dedicated console space and the number of platform holders increase, thats when it'll actually be a worthwhile concern.

Well unless i'm wrong market saturation means everyone who wants your product already bought it, so its kind of the same as no longer appealing to people who don't have your product.
It's a fine line but market saturation means you've maximised the upper limit of sales with what your console currently offers vs maximizing the potential sales of the market you're in. eg. your console only has this much appealing software but lacks software that captures other consumers in the industry.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Since folks here are talking about saturation for the 3DS, was the DS market saturated by 2008 before the DSi released? Just wondering. New model revisions and games that expand the market can sometimes reverse the slowing sales quite a bit. Then sometimes phenoms like Monster Hunter (PSP) and Pokemon (GB) can completely change that. I think this is the time for Nintendo to experiment with the 3DS in Japan with some new retail games. These will likely be the games that become the Tomodachi Life and Fossil Fighters down the line that the West eventually ends up receiving. I think they should experiment with the West too, but it's likely less risky doing it only in Japan...

RalchAC

I just don't think we're at a point where market saturation is a real problem or concern yet, when the industry is alot older and there's more competition in the dedicated console space and the number of platform holders increase, thats when it'll actually be a worthwhile concern.

I think that may have to do with platform holders having data and previsions we don't. When they think their are going to reach saturation while appealing at their potential customers they release a "stop gap" to extend your product life or a new console.

In X360 case, I'd say Kinnect could be considered that stop gap I'm talking about. I'd say the DSi and the New 3DS have the same purpose.

The new console thing explains by itself, I guess.

I think this gen may have been shorter if motion controls didn't open the consoles to new audiences like they did.

Since folks here are talking about saturation for the 3DS, was the DS market saturated by 2008 before the DSi released? Just wondering. New model revisions and games that expand the market can sometimes reverse the slowing sales quite a bit. Then sometimes phenoms like Monster Hunter (PSP) and Pokemon (GB) can completely change that. I think this is the time for Nintendo to experiment with the 3DS in Japan with some new retail games. These will likely be the games that become the Tomodachi Life and Fossil Fighters down the line that the West eventually ends up receiving. I think they should experiment with the West too, but it's likely less risky doing it only in Japan...

I guess n3DS is going toward that direction, introducing the NFC, hence aiming at those young gamers that have yet to jump on board.

Since folks here are talking about saturation for the 3DS, was the DS market saturated by 2008 before the DSi released?
If it was reaching the limits of diffusion then the obvious answer is yes, it was becoming saturated. The whole point of product refreshes and new product introduction is to create new adoption cycles and drive growth. Expansion to new geographic, demographic, psychographic markets can also be a response.

The 3DS obviously isn't at 100% diffusion or anything, that doesn't mean the product isn't and won't be facing saturation issues now and going forward.

how is the 3ds saturated when its consistently the top selling hardware?

How it's selling compared to its competitors has nothing to do with saturation.

Take the 3DS and the Xbone for example. Let's say the potential market for 3DS is ~20m. That means roughly 75% of potential owners already have one.

Let's say the potential market for the xbone is 300k. That means roughly 10% of potential owners have one.

The 3DS is clearly more saturated, even though it still handily outsells the xbone weekly.

Unless you want to argue that a 3 year-old system is less saturated than a system that launched 2 weeks ago?

Gimme a reason why you think the 3ds is facing market saturation, how can you possibly know what the cap for its sales are?

2014 YTD: 1.503.894
2013 YTD: 2.813.463
2012 YTD: 3.245.499
2011 YTD: 1.835.442

Just look at the sales curve, it's not that hard to figure out.

47./34. [3DS] Gaist Crusher: God (Capcom) {2014.09.04} - 1.194 / 3.764 (-54%)

SqL2tjF.gif

People in general buy 1 console for 10x the amount of games, if anything software saturation is a bigger concern, people don't want to play too many of the same kind of games, but there's only a few viable platforms they can invest in. People aren't complaining or concerned that there's too many platforms to choose from, but too many of the same kind of games is an issue.

The sales of software is capped by consoles sales, but the cap of consoles is virtually anyone's guess

In any case, the reason why saturation is such a non-issue when it comes to consoles is because of this:

if a console bombs, well that speaks for itself, there's plenty of reasons to think about other than saturation.

if a console dominates....then why is saturation even an issue? You're already selling near your or the industries potential being the top dog.

anything selling in between those two still has a multitude of reasons for better sales and once again saturation would be at the near end of the list.

RalchAC

if a console dominates....then why is saturation even an issue? You're already selling near your or the industries potential being the top dog.

anything selling in between those two still has a multitude of reasons for better sales and once again saturation would be at the near end of the list.

Nobody has said reaching saturation at 20 million devices sold is a bad thing. A bad thing would be reaching saturation when you have sold really few units. If next year we see a similar decline on Vita HW it won't be as good because it means it hasn't been able to become a mainstream machine as Sony initially expected, due to various reasons we already know.

Nintendo can stay for 1 or 2 years with declining hardware sales as long as the software sales remain healthy. They just need to pay attention to software trends in order to launch its successor before nobody gives a shit about the 3DS. Brand recognition, momentum and those things are important too.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone explain to me the problem with the Gaist Crusher games? I think I'm the only one actually hoping for a western release of the first one, only because it is Treasure

can anyone explain to me the problem with the Gaist Crusher games? I think I'm the only one actually hoping for a western release of the first one, only because it is Treasure

I guess Capcom failed to attract young gamers because the game is too complex gameplay-wise, and not particularly appealing visually; now kids like Pokémon-like games; epic knights that can turn into robots... Not so much.

Top Bottom