• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

Who's left? Sony, maybe Square Enix, and then?

They have the Legend of Korra releasing next month as well.

Platinum will be fine. Sales notwithstanding, they have shipped 8 titles in 8 years. Thats a track record that means no matter how their games sell, they will always find work.

Whether that work is their own original IP is a much thornier question. I see them doing alot more games like Korra in the future.

They have the Legend of Korra releasing next month as well.

Platinum will be fine. Sales notwithstanding, they have shipped 8 titles in 8 years. Thats a track record that means no matter how their games sell, they will always find work.

Whether that work is their own original IP is a much thornier question. I see them doing alot more games like Korra in the future.

What I see, instead, is that they've been jumping from one publisher to another one, seeking a game that really can succeed (or at least be profitable). They basically went Capcom -> Sega -> Konami -> Nintendo -> Activision / Microsoft.

People seem to have taken the idea of providing resources towards porting as suggesting that it would get people to buy the system "for FIFA" or "for COD."

That wasn't really the point.

The Wii U is essentially excluded from consideration by a large swathe of consumers because it lacks FIFA, and will now be even more so because it lacks COD. These, are for all intents and purposes, order qualifying criteria in the console market for a large/the largest market segment.

Does something like Bayonetta 2 really provide anything towards order qualifying or winning criteria to a significant market segment?

I think someone just answered no to either, and that's certainly a possible better alternative.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
People seem to have taken the idea of providing resources towards porting as suggesting that it would get people to buy the system "for FIFA" or "for COD."

The Wii U is essentially excluded from consideration by a large swathe of consumers because it lacks FIFA, and will now be even more so because it lacks COD. These, are for all intents and purposes, order qualifying criteria in the console market for a large/the largest market segment.

Does something like Bayonetta 2 really provide anything towards order qualifying or winning criteria to a significant market segment?

I think someone just answered no to either, and that's certainly a possible better alternative.

an inferior hardware, with a gimmick control, with primarly Nintendo first party games (and related demographic) could be better defined imho by esclusive contents, than COD or FIFA. the exclusive contents vary in terms of commercial potential, of course, but being on Nintendo HW means that also COD or FIFA has significant fluctuant commercial significance, imho. Even when they have success with their consoles, it's because of exclusive contens, imho, and not because they guarantee the "normal" or "usual" thir party blockbuster.

So I think that neither being able to secure COD and FIFA nor being able to offer Bayonetta2 will generate success. THey really have to re-invent their basic concept, for home console.

Darius

Banned
What I see, instead, is that they've been jumping from one publisher to another one, seeking a game that really can succeed (or at least be profitable). They basically went Capcom -> Sega -> Konami -> Nintendo -> Activision / Microsoft.

Scalebound will be interesting to see, we have only seen a CG trailer and no gameplay so far but to be honest it already seems to have more mass market appeal than most of their newer IPs. Problem is that the Xbox One is a non-factor in Japan and that the Xbox One userbase in US/UK seems far more oriented to western games than both other systems. Since it´s published by MS who seem to have no problems to overship and chanel-stuffing I still expect a decent shipment though.

A new Metal Gear Rising is a possibility. But all of their own new IPs haven´t been very successful. In my opinion they should really try to be contracted to develop new entries of established IPs.

SmokyDave

I'm the only one thinking that faceplats could really be a thing in Japan?
Nope, I can see it too. People will gladly run out and buy a new system because it has a sticker of an animal on it, so I'm sure they'll be lining up to buy a slightly warmed over version of a system they already own just to swap faceplates.

I don't understand it, but I can definitely see it coming.

hiska-kun

Any news about New 3DS / New 3DS XL pre-orders, shipments...?

The reports were from some weeks ago. They were talking about a great start. Pre-orders closed just a few days after they started (they opened again later though) and the normal model was more popular than the XL.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I'm not sure that it would help Nintendo, let me tell you a little story about my sister and her boyfriend:
They are huge Fifa fans and played Fifa on PC, but didn't want to buy a new PC. They had Xbox 360 controllers I gave to them as a present and played the games with these controllers. Then, they decided, to buy a console to play the next Fifa. My sister called me and asked me about the PS3, what to take into consideration, where it can be bought for cheap. I told her all this and then she asked about using the 360 controllers and complained that she couldn't use the way superior Xbox 360 controller (from her and her boyfriend's perspective. I share this sentiment, but I acknowledge that not everyone agrees with us on that) then anymore. When I told her, she could just get a 360, reuse the controllers and pay a bit less for that system than for the PS3, she was totally surprised and asked "But how would I play Fifa then?". My answer, that Fifa is available for Xbox 360, too, was almost shocking to her and her boyfriend. And she's not the only casual (though she's buying Fifa every year at launch and plays it for several hours every week, so maybe not too casual?) thinking this way.

Mind you, I'm from Germany, in UK this probably is less common. But I think that this kind of sentiment hits Nintendo way harder, also including games like CoD on top of Fifa, even when they were in fact available for the Nintendo systems.

BadWolf

A new Metal Gear Rising is a possibility. But all of their own new IPs haven´t been very successful. In my opinion they should really try to be contracted to develop new entries of established IPs.

Would be very surprised if MGR2 isn't already in development tbh.

RalchAC

Do you think consistently getting ports of FIFA, CoD and doing nothing more will work? I mean, one problem is the perceived value of the system. What people (that already knows the WiiU is the newest Nintendo console) sees is:

- A system that is more expensive than a PS3 or a Xbox 360.
- That has a smaller catalog of games.
- And multiplatform games don't look better on WiiU than they do on those old platforms.

Just "getting" the games won't work IMO. They should go full force and start some key partnerships just like Sony/MS do. Stuff like getting time exclusive DLC, exclusive console bundles, co-marketing and all those moves their competition does.

And giving third party developers / publishers more protagonism while developing your console. They don't need to do exactly what they want, but listen to them and helping those guys to get their engines ready for their console and making them feel they're important for Nintendo's strategy.

On top of the problems we all know, I think part of the problem is that Nintendo business philosophy needs to change.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nope, I can see it too. People will gladly run out and buy a new system because it has a sticker of an animal on it, so I'm sure they'll be lining up to buy a slightly warmed over version of a system they already own just to swap faceplates.

I don't understand it, but I can definitely see it coming.

I don't know if they will bring new costumer in, but I can see N3DS owners (maybe will be few, I don't know) looking for at least 1 faceplat each, that could be a good new revenue stream. I've seen million of dollars generated from Hello Kitty's pendants for cellphones, so...

The reports were from some weeks ago. They were talking about a great start. Pre-orders closed just a few days after they started (they opened again later though) and the normal model was more popular than the XL.

aaand, here we go.

duckroll

Would be very surprised if MGR2 isn't already in development tbh.

Konami seems like they're pretty much all in on MGSV at the moment. Even though MGR is developed by Platinum Games, Kojima Productions would still want to have a large amount of creative control on stuff like the story, characters, designs, etc. So that might be what's holding it back.

crinale

Kinda surprised, given the sales of the "old" normal and LL.

While OG DSL/DSi/3DS had smaller screens so that ppl preferred "LL" version, they've always wanted something lighter. The n3DS has top screen that is a bit bigger than OG 3DS and that should be enough.
And Japanese gaming audience loathing heavy controllers is part of the reason WiiU is tanking.. (I'm not even joking).

The normal n3DS supports faceplates and has nicer button colors. Of course it would be more popular. Especially in Japan.

And that sure should help too.

The normal n3DS supports faceplates and has nicer button colors. Of course it would be more popular. Especially in Japan.

Perhaps people see a bigger gap from OG 3DS to New 3DS with respect to the jump from 3DS XL to New 3DS XL. New 3DS has bigger screens, faceplates and all the other additions; New 3DS XL would be purchased because of better 3D and the second analog, since NFC has yet to be launched.

Ty4on

I won't be too sure about that. Since they're launching at the same time, there's no longer the perception that the LL is the "newer" model.

Is that the main reason why the LL has three times higher sales than the regular 3DS? The difference will be smaller with the faceplates and bigger screen, but it will be hard to overcome a difference like that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
but wouldn't just the larger screen make it the preferable model? I think most people still think larger screen = better and more fancy model.

duckroll

Is that the main reason why the LL has three times higher sales than the regular 3DS? The difference will be smaller with the faceplates and bigger screen, but it will be hard to overcome a difference like that.

I dunno, I think it's a big part of it. Obviously another factor is that the OG 3DS screens are much smaller compared to XL, so there's a bigger difference there.

Ty4on

but wouldn't just the larger screen make it the preferable model? I think most people still think larger screen = better and more fancy model.

I dunno, I think it's a big part of it. Obviously another factor is that the OG 3DS screens are much smaller compared to XL, so there's a bigger difference there.

Will be interesting to see.
I'd like to predict (just for fun) that the LL/regular ratio will be smaller at launch than later down the line because of all the fans picking it up for the faceplates. Will be interesting to see what difference they make.

L~A

Can't wait to see next year Nintendo announcing New 3DS XL+ with faceplates too and sell them again.

All according to keikaku.

Keikaku means plan, btw.

Personally, I don't see that happening, but who knows. I certainly wasn't expecting the two models at once.

L~A

Media Create:

3DS LL 35,622
Vita 11,148
PS4 8,939
Wii U 8,396
3DS 7,970
PS3 6,078
Xbox One 1,314
Vita TV 709
Xbox 360 103
PSP 99

Bayonetta 2: 38k

Mandatory:

tumblr_mftw6sbxUv1r061hio2_500.jpg

Well... actually, Bayo 2 did better than I expected :p

Bruno MB

PS4 goes back to its reality, XBO will be in the 3 digits next week and 3DS gets an increase thanks to Super Smash Bros for 3DS which had a strong second week.

sörine

Banned
Bayo 2 bombed but after all the preorder/rankings talk it did a little better than I sort of expected. And it seems to have given hardware a tiny bump (MC at least).

Amazing 2nd week for Smash. Vita flirting with the dreaded 10k there.

Top Bottom