• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2015 (Sep 07 - Sep 13)

Mory Dunz

Because SO5 will probably sell more than that?
I think I jumped in the discussion preemptively. I saw short sighted and thought it was a list of games without likely future installments

Edit:
Is it about whether those games were worth the costs in both money and time?

StevieP

Banned
don't you see ? all of them are on sony platforms (damn squeenix ignoring the market leader!!!!11 )

Do you take your fries with or without sodium chloride? :p

I think the point was that it's absolutely clear square wants to save the ps4 there (sony isn't doing much about it themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some or many chapeaus full of yen involved). The problem is I don't think consoles are salvageable in Japan. What you often see is a slight baseline increase maybe and then a return to relative normal. So these investments may not pay themselves off to the corporation, despite being a net positive for the gamers that wish to play them. Money, manpower, time, ROI... These are the things that need to be considered from the point of view of these companies' bean counters.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So the Wii U sold 218K between Week 37-52 last year. So if it was exactly flat compared to last year, we'd have 640K for the year and about 2.763M sold lifetime by the end of this year.

Think we should see that at least?

Last year, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, Captain Toad, Super Smash Bros. Wii U & Taiko Wii U 2 were left to release among titles coming off of Mario Kart 8.

This year we have Star Fox Zero, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, #FE, Mario Tennis, Just Dance: Yokai Watch, Taiko Wii U 3 left, but coming off of Mario Maker & Splatoon.

Thoughts? If it wasn't for Smash Wii U, I'd say it'd be fairly clear, but maybe the unexpected games will help it hit similar #s.

Ōkami;179060567 said:
Pretty sure is this that made Daigasso return to the top 30, nevermind the date, it was announced some time ago.

Splatoon selling other games is a funny thought.
Still. Considering the Squid Sisters theme and Squid theme have been the best selling 3DS themes for awhile now. I wouldn't be surprised. They seem to love the music

Ryng_tolu

Banned
sörine;179073116 said:
Handheld Splatoon is going to be huge when it happens. Like multimillion huge.

Splatoon can even Sell 4 Million on 3DS.
Hell, this Game will Sell 2 Million on a console like Wii U...

Do you take your fries with or without sodium chloride? :p

I think the point was that it's absolutely clear square wants to save the ps4 there (sony isn't doing much about it themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some or many chapeaus full of yen involved). The problem is I don't think consoles are salvageable in Japan. What you often see is a slight baseline increase maybe and then a return to relative normal. So these investments may not pay themselves off to the corporation, despite being a net positive for the gamers that wish to play them. Money, manpower, time, ROI... These are the things that need to be considered from the point of view of these companies' bean counters.

maybe S-E knows something we don't know yet, for example what is NX
maybe they have doubts about the new N platforms and as far as they know maybe PS4 is the only valid alternative for the market in the incoming years (excluding mobile of course)

what if NX is real a hybrid platform? Considering Sony unlikely will release other handhelds, we could have just one system which can be also used at home on a big screen, but obviously it won't be as much powerful as PS4 (if you want the battery lasting for more then a couple of hours)
so the real problem is for handhelds, not for home system, the most impact mobile had over was on handhelds, and maybe that would be the reason N is thinking about a common machine : handhelds are very weak in the west and in Japan they are fighting against mobiles a lost war

I can't believe a single company can save a platform, or at least not in 2015, maybe in 1996 it worked with PS1 but FF and DQ had a more impact on the market back then.
But of course S-E maybe is just trying to draw a line that other companies will/could follow

And honestly Sony quitting the handheld market is not a bad decision, they lost their home dominance since they entered into the arena against Gameboy/DS; PSP had a lot of exclusives PS3 hadn't and all of those sales might have switched to the home section.
Focusing just onto a single target means all resources would be available just for one platform, you slowly move all Vita "niche games" to PS4 and in a couple of years the fanbase will move.
And yesterday at work I already started hearing people "did you hear? PS4 will have a price cut next month, I'm planning to buy it soon"

Sony realized that handhelds are dying, they already own western market due to stellar PS4 sales and they just want to have all publishers focused on PS4, nothing else, neither PS3 (which obviously has near to the end) nor Vita

too many "maybe" ? maybe yes...

ps : I usually take fries with mayo ;)

AniHawk

What's the difference between S-E making games like Nier 2, Project Setsuna, and SO5, and Nintendo making games like Sin and Punishment 2, Wonderful 101, The Devil's Third, and Xenoblade? Is Nintendo making games like that also short-sighted?

i would say yes to at least devil's third and sin & punishment 2.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/242782-shuriken-sentai-ninninger-coming-to-3ds

TETSUDOU NIPPON VI - BOXART

http://gonintendo.com/stories/242783-tetsudou-nippon-vi-boxart

Were we aware of these 3DS games either? Still have no idea what half these titles are about though.

Those train games are very nice, relaxing to play and forgiving, compared to densha de go. You get a realistic view of what the driver would see in the top screen and information (in Japanese) about the stations and surroundings can be unlocked. On easy level it doesn't penalise you much for being a few seconds late or metres over the platform. Great if you like train driving games.

Sandfox

maybe they have doubts about the new N platforms and as far as they know maybe PS4 is the only valid alternative for the market in the incoming years (excluding mobile of course)

what if NX is real a hybrid platform? Considering Sony unlikely will release other handhelds, we could have just one system which can be also used at home on a big screen, but obviously it won't be as much powerful as PS4 (if you want the battery lasting for more then a couple of hours)
so the real problem is for handhelds, not for home system, the most impact mobile had over was on handhelds, and maybe that would be the reason N is thinking about a common machine : handhelds are very weak in the west and in Japan they are fighting against mobiles a lost war

I can't believe a single company can save a platform, or at least not in 2015, maybe in 1996 it worked with PS1 but FF and DQ had a more impact on the market back then.
But of course S-E maybe is just trying to draw a line that other companies will/could follow

And honestly Sony quitting the handheld market is not a bad decision, they lost their home dominance since they entered into the arena against Gameboy/DS; PSP had a lot of exclusives PS3 hadn't and all of those sales might have switched to the home section.
Focusing just onto a single target means all resources would be available just for one platform, you slowly move all Vita "niche games" to PS4 and in a couple of years the fanbase will move.
And yesterday at work I already started hearing people "did you hear? PS4 will have a price cut next month, I'm planning to buy it soon"

Sony realized that handhelds are dying, they already own western market due to stellar PS4 sales and they just want to have all publishers focused on PS4, nothing else, neither PS3 (which obviously has near to the end) nor Vita

too many "maybe" ? maybe yes...

ps : I usually take fries with mayo ;)

I think SE just wants to handle things like they did in the old days to an extent and hope it leads to long-term success due to the popularity of consoles in other markets.

I'm not sure too much of the Vita support would just move onto the PS4 once its off shelves and if Sony doesn't make a new handheld it will probably be because it wouldn't sell rather than some forward thinking decision to get companies to start developing for consoles.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Since the SONY announcement of the PS4 price-cut in Japan (and most likely worldwide to soon follow), Nintendo share price have lost 8% in value in the last two trading sessions.

Anyway, as Pokemon is considered a separate entity from Nintendo, I wonder which property will be first in the DeNA deal. A lot is riding on this - I just hope Pokemon Shuffle's performance is not what is to come from Ninty lol

I think the point was that it's absolutely clear square wants to save the ps4 there (sony isn't doing much about it themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some or many chapeaus full of yen involved).

Why would Square want to save the PS4 though? It's not like Sony have power over them or owe them something, they don't even own shares in the company anymore.

I think most releastic explanation behind their recent moves is that they want to target western users more aggressively, and believe PS4 is the most suitable platform for that purpose. I really doubt that Japan factored much in these decisions, it makes sense when you consider:

-Their biggest console projects (FFXV and KH3) were announced for the system before it sold a single unit.
-All the annoucments were made during a western conference
-Square emphasizing more on overseas expansion in their earning reports.

Whether the western sales will make up for any potential lost Japanese sales is another debate, it's remain to be seen how these games will perform WW wise.

Vena

Since the SONY announcement of the PS4 price-cut in Japan (and most likely worldwide to soon follow), Nintendo share price have lost 8% in value in the last two trading sessions.

Anyway, as Pokemon is considered a separate entity from Nintendo, I wonder which property will be first in the DeNA deal. A lot is riding on this - I just hope Pokemon Shuffle's performance is not what is to come from Ninty lol

Pokemon Shuffle is really a bad case scenario to look at due to its weird origins, a lot of pokemon fans and gamers have already played it several million times over on the 3DS and we have no idea how it performed there.

I played it, I have no reason to play it again on mobile, for instance.

Also... something something... correlation does not imply causation.

This would be sensible if they hadn't notannounced DQXI, their biggest franchise, for the thing. In comparison SO5, Nier 2, and Setsuna are effectively non-entities (and also coming out too soon anyway). If you have such doubts about a platform, you don't put your biggest title on it before it is even publicly announced.

SE is releasing products where they think they have a potential market and they're not not going to release products just because the PS4 is floundering at home and sit on their thumbs waiting for the NX. They can bank on worldwide potential success and if that proves unsuccessful on the platform, they may simply move on when better alternatives appear but right now the only alternative is the 3DS and, as it stands, they feel they have more to benefit from pursuing the combined audiences of the PS3/PS4/Vita than just the 3DS (because you can't do the same with the WiiU).

They also are committed to other big projects for the platform that they benefit from supporting. If the house of cards falls to the wind, then they move on.

StevieP

Banned
Why would Square want to save the PS4 though? It's not like Sony have power over them or owe them something, they don't even own shares in the company anymore.

I think most releastic explanation behind their recent moves is that they want to target western users more aggressively, and believe PS4 is the most suitable platform for that purpose. I really doubt that Japan factored much in these decisions, it makes sense when you consider:

-Their biggest console projects (FFXV and KH3) were announced for the system before it sold a single unit.
-All the annoucments were made during a western conference
-Square emphasizing more on overseas expansion in their earning reports.

Whether the western sales will make up for any potential lost Japanese sales is another debate, it's remain to be seen how these games will perform WW wise.

I hear the preorders for Nier and Star Ocean are doing call of duty numbers at GameStop.

Vena

I hear the preorders for Nier and Star Ocean are doing call of duty numbers at GameStop.

That's a bit of a strawman, no (fallacy of relevance and all that)? You don't need extreme numbers of CoD to be "successful".

Mind I am not necessarily disagreeing with the idea, though, that in as of so far, we've not seen notable successes but even things that looked like they didn't do well (FFType-0) were seemingly "good enough" for SE. Now if they perform like Kiwami... obviously that's a different story.

vinnygambini

Pokemon Shuffle is really a bad case scenario to look at due to its weird origins, a lot of pokemon fans and gamers have already played it several million times over on the 3DS and we have no idea how it performed there.

I played it, I have no reason to play it again on mobile, for instance.

Isn't the purpose of mobile gaming to expand the gaming population of some sort and get the casuals on board? Personally, I think Pokemon Shuffle should of performed favorably based on that saying. Or maybe it's just a case of the game not being tailored for mobile platforms, it just being a port and a "clone" of other popular offerings.

Duno, I may have expected too much due carrying the moniker: Pokemon.

Vena

Isn't the purpose of mobile gaming to expand the gaming population of some sort and get the casuals on board? Personally, I think Pokemon Shuffle should of performed favorably based on that saying. Or maybe it's just a case of the game not being tailored for mobile platforms, it just being a port and a "clone" of other popular offerings.

Duno, I may have expected too much due carrying the moniker: Pokemon.

I think its too much expected for what is, effectively, a match-3 game in a sea of match-3 games. Pokemon is not a known entity for its match-3 games.

A tamagotchi pokemon mobile app would have been better than a match-3 game.

StevieP

Banned
That's a bit of a strawman, no (fallacy of relevance and all that)? You don't need extreme numbers of CoD to be "successful".

Mind I am not necessarily disagreeing with the idea, though, that in as of so far, we've not seen notable successes but even things that looked like they didn't do well (FFType-0) were seemingly "good enough" for SE. Now if they perform like Kiwami... obviously that's a different story.

what a shitpost

Yes it's a gross exaggeration but the point I was making was that these titles are niche in the west and I don't see in which way they grow from a niche. Final fantasy and kingdom hearts are an entirely different matter. Square is going all in on ps4 and it's likely because they wish the platform be more relevant in Japan

Vena

Yes it's a gross exaggeration but the point I was making was that these titles are niche and I don't see in which way they grow from a niche. Final fantasy and kingdom hearts are an entirely different matter

I think you could have expressed the point better, though.

You don't need to make up a CoD scenario, when you can just point at Kiwami.

vinnygambini

I think its too much expected for what is, effectively, a match-3 game in a sea of match-3 games. Pokemon is not a known entity for its match-3 games.

A tamagotchi pokemon mobile app would have been better than a match-3 game.

I get that.

Looking forward to Pokemon GO though - that seems tailored for mobile day 1, and hopefully a success story for all parties involved.

StevieP

Banned
I think you could have expressed the point better, though.

You don't need to make up a CoD scenario, when you can just point at Kiwami.

Yeah that's why I followed up with more cogent thoughts.

I still believe that square wants the ps4 to regain some semblance of non failure in Japan (whether that's through yen or simple good will) and that outside of the larger franchisees it isn't because of the west.

The franchises that square wants to push in the west are multiplat and are on the X1 as well.

Vena

Yeah that's why I followed up with more cogent thoughts.

I still believe that square wants the ps4 to regain some semblance of non failure in Japan (whether that's through yen or simple good will) and that outside of the larger franchisees it isn't because of the west.

The franchises that square wants to push in the west are multiplat and are on the X1 as well.

I don't even know if they want that because they are still releasing everything on Vita/PS3/3DS/NX anyway. If they wanted/cared about the PS4 that much, I think you'd see a lot more PS4-only titles.

This is, at best, meeting halfway to doomsday between Sony and SE. Or, as I said, the simple current best path for them given that they cannot not release products and they have to make the best of what the market has to offer.

This would be sensible if they hadn't notannounced DQXI, their biggest franchise, for the thing. In comparison SO5, Nier 2, and Setsuna are effectively non-entities (and also coming out too soon anyway). If you have such doubts about a platform, you don't put your biggest title on it before it is even publicly announced.

SE is releasing products where they think they have a potential market and they're not not going to release products just because the PS4 is floundering at home and sit on their thumbs waiting for the NX. They can bank on worldwide potential success and if that proves unsuccessful on the platform, they may simply move on when better alternatives appear but right now the only alternative is the 3DS and, as it stands, they feel they have more to benefit from pursuing the combined audiences of the PS3/PS4/Vita than just the 3DS (because you can't do the same with the WiiU).

They also are committed to other big projects for the platform that they benefit from supporting. If the house of cards falls to the wind, then they move on.

DQXI for NX is "under consideration", no any other words have been spoken since then, we know both PS4 and 3DS versions will have same release, we already saw some pictures and videos for both versions, no NX showed, so why you can assure it's coming to NX ?
and DQX came out for how many platforms ? one "under consideration" title means a little morhe than nothing when the other side is getting a lot of titles

Sony gave a hint starting ignoring Vita cause they realized fighting against mobile, not nintendo, is a lost match, S-E seized the moment and started to announce a lot of titles for PS4 (and I mean after DQ11 decision)
Look at how many titles are Vita/PS4, and I'm not pointing out only to S-E, I mean in general, a lot of publishers are starting a switch from handheld to home

Sandfox

DQXI for NX is "under consideration", no any other words have been spoken since then, we know both PS4 and 3DS versions will have same release, we already saw some pictures and videos for both versions, no NX showed, so why you can assure it's coming to NX ?
and DQX came out for how many platforms ? one "under consideration" title means a little morhe than nothing when the other side is getting a lot of titles

Sony gave a hint starting ignoring Vita cause they realized fighting against mobile, not nintendo, is a lost match, S-E seized the moment and started to announce a lot of titles for PS4 (and I mean after DQ11 decision)
Look at how many titles are Vita/PS4, and I'm not pointing out only to S-E, I mean in general, a lot of publishers are starting a switch from handheld to home

Examples?

Vena

They've already shown the NX version. Its the one running on UE4. :p

The NX version is not going to be a unique quantity, it will be one of the two and as such there is nothing to show that is different from what has been shown (and given which of the two is running on a non-convoluted engine and very specific shader programming, I think we can make a decent assumption as to which version will be getting a dual/port release (also the 3DS version is not going to need help for positive RoI)).

Moreover, though, you don't just talk about unannounced hardware of another company on a whim. Stuff doesn't work that way.

Oh no.

Sony is/was very much competing with Nintendo, not just mobile, and they failed with the product they brought to market. When the Vita was coming to retail, its main competition at that time was the 3DS and that very much was the narrative. Mobile has since exploded and pushed hard on the 3DS in other territories and Japan, but Nintendo has managed to at least provide some compelling software to maintain some niche (and general strength in Japan by absorbing and consolidating what was left of the DS/PSP market).

Sony failed to provide anything compelling themselves, and they dropped the Vita like a brick when it didn't magically repair itself out of sheer force of will. Sony gave up because they had a better product to market and weren't going to bother trying to salvage what was a worse disaster than the PS3. This is, really, no different from what became of the WiiU, a bad product to market and a bad result, and they (Nintendo) were initially very much competing with Microsoft and Sony but failed miserably. They've since thrown in the towel but at least they put up a token effort to provide the thing with some software.

The announcement of the NX version basically came from the horse's mouth, but SquareEnix later retracted it. Nintendo themselves may have even called the company to do that because the NX hasn't been revealed yet. We don't even know "what" it is.

Also, I wouldn't call it "switching" as much as this being a result to mobile/handhelds being more close to consoles in terms of using the same engine and tools. That's one major advantage the VITA has over the 3DS.

in mobile tgs news, highly popular DDM (browser) games, Touken Ranbu (sword boys) and KanColle (ship girls) are both getting smartphone version.

gonna be interesting to see how well they chart

Kancolle mobile is just an app to allow you to continue your webgame on the go. Not entirely a new game. Guess it's the same for Touken Ranbu as well

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hey've already shown the NX version. Its the one running on UE4. :p

UE4 is scalable though right?

People seem to be making the assumption we are talking PS4 level and not Vita level (also UE4 right?)

I honestly think the NX is going to be a hybrid - basically something like the Nvidia shield.

new Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu

Is the new Spirits for PS4 finally? I am guessing not :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
new Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu
spring 2016
PSV/PS4/PS3

It's so strange how Konami will effectively take a year off for the series, but at least a Konami sport series is coming to PS4, finally. Probably the next Spirits will as well. Whenever it comes out: Yakyuu is taking its usual period, I wonder when it'll come out then.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So Monster Hunter Stories & Ace Attorney are getting animes next year. Interesting. I guess it's nothing really new to video games in Japan, but still interesting to see what effect it may have on AA6 & MH: Stories sales.

Vena

3DS seems to be going into 2016 with a lot of cross-media products at the same time between Pokemon, MH:S, AA6, and YW3 all hitting early to mid-2016.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
in mobile tgs news, highly popular DDM (browser) games, Touken Ranbu (sword boys) and KanColle (ship girls) are both getting smartphone version.

gonna be interesting to see how well they chart
I'm sure I've seen people playing the KanColle game already. Is this just a native app rather than using the phone browser?

I'm sure I've seen people playing the KanColle game already. Is this just a native app rather than using the phone browser?

for at least swordboys, yes, it looks like a native app

reorganized the ui to be mobile friendly, touch elements in the menu

probably will be the same for kancolle

-------------------------

K-T to release RoTK13 on XBox One

same time as the other versions (ps4, ps3, pc) so not a late port

I'm guessing it's a well we're going to make a xbox version for the west so might as well

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom announced animes for both Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter Stories, so that's part of their business strategy now, at least for their non-service games.

AniHawk

Next week splatoon would have outsold smash wii u. This is huge. We need a splatoon stage and character in smash now.

i really wonder what splatoon and super mario maker would have done in place of nintendo land and nsmbu at launch. it's so weird it took nintendo so long to figure it out with the wii u and pumped it full of the most standard games for the first year.

Top Bottom