• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2015 (Sep 07 - Sep 13)

Was the "limited" 3DS hardware the main reason to explain the abscense of MineCraft in the platform?

Hyrule Warriors is the most recent game that takes advantage of the extra processing capabilities of the N3DS. So assuming the device has enough capability to run a version of MineCraft, the other plausible obstacle would be the user base.

What's the worldwide user base of the New 3DS and how those it compare to other dedicated gaming devices that have received ports of MineCraft?

Mory Dunz

Was the "limited" 3DS hardware the main reason to explain the abscense of MineCraft in the platform?

Hyrule Warriors is the most recent game that takes advantage of the extra processing capabilities of the N3DS. So assuming the device has enough capability to run a version of MineCraft, the other plausible obstacle would be the user base.

What's the worldwide user base of the New 3DS and how those it compare to other dedicated gaming devices that have received ports of MineCraft?

Maybe Nintendo didn't negociate or try to get it...?

There's no doubt how well it would sell there, but a deal would still have to be made

I think Star Wars Battlefront will sell better than Black Ops III. Also Fallout 4 is the surprise guest on Amazon.jp since it became available to preorder, 6 days ago. It hasn't left the top 3 since. Even the Xbox One version has shown itself on the first page during two or three days :D

Speaking of DQ Builders, on Amazon.jp the PS4 version is actually way above the PS Vita version since the opening of the preorder, 5 days ago. I think most of us would have thought the opposite considering the big success of Minecraft on Vita.

I can think of a lot of successes the other direction, but yeah, usually people don't want to go to something that isn't a service after having a service.

We even saw Phantasy Star on dedicated devices implode after PSO2 became a sustaining major hit.
That's moreso because Nova was complete garbage IMO. Last gen was the opposite - Universe was awful while PSPo was good, plus riding off the Monster Hunter coattails.

SW is very popular here, I also agree with who thinks that the EA game will be the surprise of the holidays : SW hype + PS4 price cut + ideal platform for western games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's moreso because Nova was complete garbage IMO. Last gen was the opposite - Universe was awful while PSPo was good, plus riding off the Monster Hunter coattails.
In the end I think you'd have to deliver something notably compelling to get people to pick it up, and the monetary incentive doesn't really go in that direction these days.

Like thinking about it, for the PS4 example in particular, who wants to spend $10-$20 million on a retail game that will sell 100-250K copies when you have a mobile game that often makes $500K to $1+ million a day that cost a few million to start.

Vena

what are we looking at here.....200-300k?

This is CoD last year:

01./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.11.13} (¥8.424) - 79.586 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.11.13} (¥8.424) - 64.060 / NEW

So, all in all, I'd expect CoD to perform the same but with the PS4 SKU now absorbing the obvious lack of a PS3 one to a degree, though I see sales dropping in the grand sum (loss of users from the PS3 to PS4 transition, though new ones may or may not be picked up for the title). For Star Wars, I'd take this number and scale it upward by maybe a factor of 1.5 to 2 at most, since its still a brown western FPS.

That said, I don't think either title is going to do *that much* more for the PS4 baseline, though, as the whole "transition" of western aligned PS3 users to the PS4 has been going on through the year and, at some point, that pool is going to dry (if it hasn't largely already). They've had ample time and reason to already transition.

Spiegel

I think Star Wars Battlefront will sell better than Black Ops III. Also Fallout 4 is the surprise guest on Amazon.jp since it became available to preorder, 6 days ago. It hasn't left the top 3 since. Even the Xbox One version has shown itself on the first page during two or three days :D

Speaking of DQ Builders, on Amazon.jp the PS4 version is actually way above the PS Vita version since the opening of the preorder, 5 days ago. I think most of us would have thought the opposite considering the big success of Minecraft on Vita.

Kids don't usually preorder games on amazon in the first 5 days.

81i3cBVgxPL._SL1131_.jpg
Releasing December 5 according to amazon jp.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
&#332;kami;179358964 said:

Yeh saw that afterwards xD. Forgot about the previously released ones and was thinking whether there were any holiday ones left. Also we knew about Youkai Watch/Just Dance's release date for a couple weeks now iirc. Didn't have boxart though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Amazon.jp

Serious business

heidern

It's a really a shame (and stupid) that Konami abandoned console market when there's an obvious demand for their games. I really hope their shareholders realise soon this mistake, demand an entire management shake up and restore it's former self, like Square Enix it's doing.

It's a shame but it's not stupid. There might be demand for their games, but there isn't enough demand to justify the costs.Those costs are also going up and there is pretty much zero chance for growth in the sector for them. On the contrary some games are significantly declining in sales(see Winning Eleven).

Personally I think this is a last hurrah from large Japanese publishers, we'll get AAA MGS5, FFXV, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil 7 maybe, FF7 remake and RE2 remake, after that the development costs will be too high and sales will continue to go down. Maybe even the new Dragon Quest will be the last major console iteration and Horii and co will retire. The franchises can continue with their lower cost spin-off variations but mainline entries at the top end of the market are not going to be viable beyond this generation.

Theoretically they could try to pivot to NX and realign into a lower cost direction parallel to Nintendo, but that's as risky or more risky than transitioning to mobile development. The mobile market is also the one that is virtually guaranteed to see growth for a few years so no prizes for guessing where they will prioritise.

As a wise man once said, sadly, sometimes when art meets business, business wins.

sörine

Banned

According to the COO of Mojang there is no technical or business reason why Minecraft isn't on 3DS or Wii U, it just hasn't happened yet.

Speaking of Minecraft 3DS, Cube Creator 3D has sold over 180k in just 8 weeks going by the JP eShop rankings and is still often topping the recent charts. At the rate it's going it'll eventually outsell each digital release of Minecraft in Japan. If ASW gave it a retail release it'd probably outsell Minecraft Vita overall.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;179372543 said:
According to the COO of Mojang there is no technical or business reason why Minecraft isn't on 3DS or Wii U, it just hasn't happened yet.

Speaking of Minecraft 3DS, Cube Creator 3D has sold over 180k in just 8 weeks going by the JP eShop rankings and is still often topping the recent charts. At the rate it's going it'll eventually outsell each digital release of Minecraft in Japan. If ASW gave it a retail release it'd probably outsell Minecraft Vita overall.

That sounds too much. IIRC, it surpassed Gunman Clive a few days ago, and that was around 140,000 copies sold a few months ago. And it's not yet in the All-Time Overall top 20. Also, I doubt GC sold 40,000 additional copies in the meanwhile.

In the meanwhile, Super Mario Maker is now 6th in the All-Time Overall Wii U Charts. It just surpassed Famicom Remix.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yup. Nintendo actually goes into SEA by having that Mon Hun exclusive here. The only thing they need more next time is to make sure that FF is going to come to their platform then, SEA is more or less going to be on Nintendo ship lol.^_^

Nintendo just announced their bringing the new Zelda 3DS game to Asia on same day as Japan but again it's the Japanese version (No Chinese localisation).

It's stuff like this that needs to change if Nintendo ever want to be a serious contender in the Asian market.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Does Nintendo even have the resources for a serious push into Asian markets? They're not Sony or Microsoft.

Depends on what their future plans are.

With Mobile being one of them then being in Asia will be a good strategy.
If NX is aiming to be more open to game genres with great online/social features then again being in Asia will be beneficial.

Otherwise they shouldn't bother, like with Wii U. But for a gaming entertainment company they'll most certainly be seeing that Asia's gaming market is growing at an unprecedented pace at the moment.

sörine

Banned
That sounds too much. IIRC, it surpassed Gunman Clive a few days ago, and that was around 140,000 copies sold a few months ago. And it's not yet in the All-Time Overall top 20. Also, I doubt GC sold 40,000 additional copies in the meanwhile.

In the meanwhile, Super Mario Maker is now 6th in the All-Time Overall Wii U Charts. It just surpassed Famicom Remix.
You're right, it's over 140k.

ZhugeEX

Banned
23 Wii U games were showcases on TGS? where did they come from?

I've just copied and pasted the official TGS Wii U game list below.

I'm assuming most of these are just download only games/indie titles.

Momonga Pinball Adventures
Nanos
Chariot
Master Reboot
Infinity Runner
Runbow
Rocketbirds 2: Evolution
Rollers of the Realm
Gravity Badgers
Lost Reavers
U-EXPLORE SPACE ADVENTURES
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG
Dreii
Ninja Pizza Girl
Super Mario 64 HD Remake
Dusty Raging Fist
VERTICAL STRIKE
Ferris wheel detective
Astral Breakers
Dragon Quest X Online
Lego Jurassic Word
Disney Infinity 3.0
Taiko Drum Master

casiopao

Higher sales potential: 2025's Digimon game or 2025's Youkai Watch?

I put my bet on Youkai lol.^_^

that's probably going to be driven the ground in a few years /s

It is not like Digimon haven't been driven into the ground though.T_T Their last anime is sooo bad that it killed many of its fans.T_T(DOn't Mention the title!!!)

Nintendo just announced their bringing the new Zelda 3DS game to Asia on same day as Japan but again it's the Japanese version (No Chinese localisation).

It's stuff like this that needs to change if Nintendo ever want to be a serious contender in the Asian market.

Ohh, i agree with that sure. If they are able to create some good localization team for maybe, Indonesia language, Chinese, English, Malay and other SEA language. I feel they will be doing really well.

After all, they had all the game piece that is attractive to SEA fans now. Only the extra effort which is needed now. Hell, if they can make the game cheaper too. I feel there will be more people buying their titles.

Top Bottom