• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Oemenia

Banned
Can someone explain the Winning Eleven decline. For years it sold over 500k and then suddenly it drop to only 100k+ levels.

Shame really since the PS4 is picking up and the game is quality.

Oregano

They may need to be cool with sony too.
Or Vita can run P5pro with some downgrade like on P3P.

I don't think Sony has any say really. Sega/Atlus can do whatever they feel like.

I'm also not sure Vita will be viable whenever a hypothetical portable version of the game would release.

cheesekao

Why is everyone ruling out a portable version anyway?

There's a portable releasing in March which should be perfectly capable of running it.
We're talking about the company who released the WiiU in 2012. That's not to mention how 3ds games look similar to psp games for the most part(I don't know which is more powerful but the gap doesn't seem that big). I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm not gonna have my hopes up just yet.

Fdkn

Don't think it'll be any different. Dark Souls has been doing this consistently. Dragon's Dogma also did this. The main reason people buy a game again is to have it on another platform, which is why P4G sold so much more than P3 Fes. I don't think a retail re-release with a P5 expansion + PS4 Pro upgrades would do worse than P3 Fes did on the PS2, even with a DLC version of the expansion on PSN.

PS4Pro upgrades are free patches so that's not really an incentive.

Rereleases with extra content always help because they are usually cheaper and get the game again on the retail channel, but I'd say most people buying them didn't buy the original game. The only genre where this doesn't hold true is the hunting genre because they... can get away with it.

Dark Souls PPTEdition sold ~1/4 of what the original did FW and 1/3 LTD for instance, while Persona 3 Fes did about 80% of what the original Persona 3 did. I think there were many more double dippers there

P4Golden and P3P were ports to handhelds so that's not really the same

Edit: to make my point clear, as I'm not very good at explaining myself: a rerelease will happen of course, but I don't think it will do as well as P3FES did compared to the original P3, that's what I was talking about

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Persona 5 almost tripled Splatoon's 1st week!
It's on its way!

Go Persona, you can do it! :p

Cs4gBU9W8AAGv7r.jpg

Oregano

Persona seems pretty established on the PlayStation ecosystem. It wouldn't make business sense to make a Persona mainline game exclusive to the NX.

It'd be an enhanced port though, not a mainline exclusive and you say that as if it wouldn't sell.

We're talking about the company who released the WiiU in 2012. That's not to mention how 3ds games look similar to psp games for the most part. I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm not gonna have my hopes up.

Whatever Nintendo is releasing can run the new Zelda and we have pretty solid rumours it's using some form of modern tegra which even clocked super low would be able to handle a PS3 port.

Lynx_7

Fire Emblem Fates did similar numbers week 1 in Japan, right? Around 330k or such? It eventually reached 500k so I'm expecting Persona to follow a similar route. How was that one's second week?

PS4 about to kick into high gear in Japan. Looks like there are several good games coming in the next few months.

Whats everyone's guess as to how FFXV first week will compare to Persona 5?

Sterok

Splatoon sales 2016: 314,823

Persona 5 sales 2016: 337,767

Persona won something. Splatoon will win the year lol.

In all seriousness, Persona did very good, but some people hyped it up so much it almost feels like a disappointment. Nice to see big numbers for PS4 for once. Will be fun to see how Slim compares to Pro in the holidays. Not sure what is good for 2DS, so I'll just say it did okay.

Javin98

Banned
viHuGi is like noobie's flipped persona, LOL. XD

Anyway, PS4 sold as expected. Somewhat unlikely, but if the PS4 manages over 49K in Week 38, it will finally exceed the Wii U's LTD. I don't see it happening, though, but there's no doubt it will beat the Wii U's LTD by the end of September. Months ago, some of us were still doubting it and back then, FFXV wasn't delayed yet.

cheesekao

Whatever Nintendo is releasing can run the new Zelda and we have pretty solid rumours it's using some form of modern tegra which even clocked super low would be able to handle a PS3 port.
I can only speculate but assuming that the NX is a hybrid, what are the odds are that that tegra is part of the "main" consoles while the portable part uses something weaker?

Fisico

Persona 4 sold even less. The market and the audience for Persona hasn't changed. The franchise isn't showing much growth in Japan.

So the people that bought P1 20 years ago are the same that bought P5 today, somehow they lost interest after P1 gradually but P5 reignited their passion, alas they all bought the game first week, no new audience was found at all during these 20 years and the sales will collapse and P5 sales will fail to surpass P1's number (391k)...

Yeah interesting opinion to say the least.

Vena

I can only speculate but assuming that the NX is a hybrid, what are the odds are that that tegra is part of the "main" consoles while the portable part uses something weaker?

Zero.

PS4 about to kick into high gear in Japan. Looks like there are several good games coming in the next few months.

Whats everyone's guess as to how FFXV first week will compare to Persona 5?

At least double.

duckroll

I don't think Sony has any say really. Sega/Atlus can do whatever they feel like.

I'm also not sure Vita will be viable whenever a hypothetical portable version of the game would release.

It's not about whether Sony has any say. I really don't understand why some of you think of exclusive deals as demands made by a first party against the will of everyone else. That's pretty much never how it works. The reason why there are brand exclusives tend to be because of complex working relationships across multiple levels.

In the case of cool anime centric franchises, lets not underestimate the value of marketing relationships across the entire Sony Japan umbrella. Aniplex is a major media partner for a lot of these projects (Tales, Persona, God Eater, Fate, Macross, Idolmaster, etc) and is it a surprise that for these games, the major game titles are all on Sony platforms? Why do you think that is? It's not because of any exclusivity clause, but rather because there is value in centralizing all marketing. When people watch a late night anime, the sponsors pay for the advertising blocks. On these blocks they advertise games, BDs, and music. They advertise their brands, and under the same group umbrella it is easier to promote Sony games this way, which is why Sony has built a reputation for being the platform for fans of such things in Japan.

PS4Pro upgrades are free patches so that's not really an incentive.

It's not an incentive for people who already own the game to buy it again, sure, but I'm saying that having those upgrades timed along with an expansion re-release at retail will help make it even more appealing to people who might have a PS4 Pro but have not bought the game yet. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Like I said, the only way to really get a large portion of people who already own a game to buy it again, is to have them want it on another platform (ie: portable), which is why P4G did so well compared to everything else.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nice PS4 sales - Persona did well, even though I had a bit higher expectation for the games overall performance a couple years ago. Still awesome considering the market environment right now.

We're talking about the company who released the WiiU in 2012. That's not to mention how 3ds games look similar to psp games for the most part(I don't know which is more powerful but the gap doesn't seem that big). I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm not gonna have my hopes up just yet.
System that will be able to run DQX, DQXI and Zelda BotW won't be able to run Persona 5 ? Yeah this doesn't make much sense.

dracula_x

Can someone explain the Winning Eleven decline. For years it sold over 500k and then suddenly it drop to only 100k+ levels.

Shame really since the PS4 is picking up and the game is quality.

btw, it sold better than last year

2015 – http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121366

02./00. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 48.473 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208) - 39.017 / NEW

~ 87.490

03./00. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.09.15} (¥7.600) - 66.037 / NEW
04./00. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.09.15} (¥6.600) - 34.502 / NEW

~ 100.539

Fdkn

It's not an incentive for people who already own the game to buy it again, sure, but I'm saying that having those upgrades timed along with an expansion re-release at retail will help make it even more appealing to people who might have a PS4 Pro but have not bought the game yet. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Like I said, the only way to really get a large portion of people who already own a game to buy it again, is to have them want it on another platform (ie: portable), which is why P4G did so well compared to everything else.

We're completely agree on everything then :p

my post was about a hyphotetical P5FES making the fanbase buy the game again as P3FES did

jayu26

What is this Splatoon vs Persona 5 now? Splatoon is fucking Splatoon. Ain't nothing that will repeat Splatoon legs.

Oregano

Really, really slim. Tegra is a mobile part and it'd just drive up costs to have more than chipset. Not a tech expert but it would also be convoluted to have them interface.

It's not about whether Sony has any say. I really don't understand why some of you think of exclusive deals as demands made by a first party against the will of everyone else. That's pretty much never how it works. The reason why there are brand exclusives tend to be because of complex working relationships across multiple levels.

In the case of cool anime centric franchises, lets not underestimate the value of marketing relationships across the entire Sony Japan umbrella. Aniplex is a major media partner for a lot of these projects (Tales, Persona, God Eater, Fate, Macross, Idolmaster, etc) and is it a surprise that for these games, the major game titles are all on Sony platforms? Why do you think that is? It's not because of any exclusivity clause, but rather because there is value in centralizing all marketing. When people watch a late night anime, the sponsors pay for the advertising blocks. On these blocks they advertise games, BDs, and music. They advertise their brands, and under the same group umbrella it is easier to promote Sony games this way, which is why Sony has built a reputation for being the platform for fans of such things in Japan.

Fair enough. I'm not sure that would be a particular relevant factor if they want to release a portable version of the game in a few years though because Sony won't have a portable.

small44

These are the numbers as of January 3rd 2016

742./144. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥6.980) - 2.953 / 332.003 (-95%) (137.076 <84,11%>)
169./000. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden [PlayStation Vita the Best] <RPG> (Atlus) {2015.02.05} (¥3.980) - 39.230 / NEW (3.574 <48,92%>)

So around 371k

From this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070

An remake outselling it's original game is just crazy.

Nice PS4 sales - Persona did well, even though I had a bit higher expectation for the games overall performance a couple years ago. Still awesome considering the market environment right now.

System that will be able to run DQX, DQXI and Zelda BotW won't be able to run Persona 5 ? Yeah this doesn't make much sense.

don't you get the memo? Nintendo systems will be forever weak!

KooopaKid

Banned
So the people that bought P1 20 years ago are the same that bought P5 today, somehow they lost interest after P1 gradually but P5 reignited their passion, alas they all bought the game first week, no new audience was found at all during these 20 years and the sales will collapse and P5 sales will fail to surpass P1's number (391k)...

Yeah interesting opinion to say the least.

What about Persona 4 sales? How do you explain they are lower than 1? Where was the new audience then? I don't see any reason why P5 would sell 400k+ LTD in Japan all of a sudden.

Kathian

Banned
Fire Emblem Fates did similar numbers week 1 in Japan, right? Around 330k or such? It eventually reached 500k so I'm expecting Persona to follow a similar route. How was that one's second week?

One is on a much smaller install base. I expect Persona to drop a good amount next week.

duckroll

We're completely agree on everything then :p

my post was about a hyphotetical P5FES making the fanbase buy the game again as P3FES did

Remember that P3FES was released as a stand alone full price re-release and a discounted append disc add-on expansion. I don't think we ever got a break down on how much each sold individually, but in total they sold 146k, which is less than P3's initial 190k LTD. In comparison P3P outsold the original P3 doing over 200k, and P4G outsold the original P4 as well doing over 300k.

FluxWaveZ

What about Persona 4 sales? How do you explain they are lower than 1? Where was the new audience then? I don't see any reason why P5 would sell 400k+ LTD in Japan all of a sudden.

But... it's obviously going to? Unless you contend that the drop is actually going to be 90%+ after its first week, and that it practically won't sell any other copies after that.

cheesekao

NX will be getting Persona 5 portable almost by default, even if it's gimped version like P3P.
And a mainline Monster Hunter is coming to the Vita.

It's a single system based on everything we've heard recently. If it can run it, it can run it.
If it has a portable section as in "I can bring it anywhere I want", then it will assuredly be weaker than the "main" section and games will have to have two different modes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are games that only have one mode unless there's a mandate from Nintendo or something. Then again, I know fuck all about the NX.

mao2

It already sold 337,767 copies in the first week on both PS4 and PS3. 400K+ shouldn't be a problem.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really, really slim. Tegra is a mobile part and it'd just drive up costs to have more than chipset. Not a tech expert but it would also be convoluted to have them interface.

Tegras also only run around $15-$30 historically for the entire SoC. It'd be hard to get much cheaper.

Fdkn

Sorry to quote myself but anyone?

WE/PES had very rough years regarding quality from ~2008 to ~2012, the declive of the console market in japan and people can play sports games (and a million other games) on mobile now so they don't feel like buying a console for that.

Top Bottom