• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Oemenia

Banned
WE/PES had very rough years regarding quality from ~2008 to ~2012, the declive of the console market in japan and people can play sports games (and a million other games) on mobile now so they don't feel like buying a console for that.
2014 sold 500k as usual but the next entry only did less than 200k. It was in decline but why was it so sudden. 2013 was actually a return to form and its only been getting better.

Persona 5 did great. The result of all the subtle growth we saw over the years via spinoffs and re-releases. Will be interesting to see if they go the Vita route as I think there's room for growth there as well.

PS4 also did very well.

Sterok

Franchises that have definitively grown this year compared to the last comparable entry.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Persona

Anything else?

jayu26

And a mainline Monster Hunter is coming to the Vita.
All Persona games have portable version. Atlus is not going to miss out on portable version of Persona 5. Sony is not going to make another portable. It ends up on NX by default even if they have remove things from PS4 release to make it work. Having said that Persona 5 runs on PS3, so I would imagine it will run NX just fine.
This was before Splatoon blew up, IIRC.
Actually I could see myself doing that before Splatoon released.
No, it kept up for awhile after that.

"You guys keep going on about Splatoon's legs, but Persona 5 is going to blow it out of the water later this year."
Well then.

crinale

What the usual blog guy was referring to was.. well, he said he was hoping something like 50K but it undershoot way lower than what retailers have hoped.
In Japan people are now saying he was referring to 2DS HW number after all (just like ppl said at here).

KooopaKid

Banned
It already sold 337,767 copies in the first week on both PS4 and PS3. 400K+ shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah 400k should be doable considering P4 sold 212k first week and 294k LTD.
Proportionally, P5 should reach 469k LTD if it maintains the same pattern but I doubt it.
But even then, 469k won't be a huge growth over the first game (391k). Only 78k more.

cheesekao

All Persona games have portable version. Atlus is not going to miss out on portable version of Persona 5. Sony is not going to make another portable. It ends up on NX by default even if they have remove things from PS4 release to make it work. Having said that Persona 5 runs on PS3, so I would imagine it will run NX just fine.
Actually I could see myself doing that before Splatoon released.

Well then.
Unless they put it on the Vita of course since it's not exactly impossible if they do a P3P like I said.

matmanx1

I feel like P5 had a pretty good opening week and was in line with expectations. 500k is a nice sounding number but I don't think that was ever really realistic for Japan on opening week.

I actually think the larger growth percent will come from the localized versions worldwide and especially in the West. I know P4G was significant in being a great intro to the series for a lot of people over here and I expect P5 to do better than any localized Persona game ever has before.

I'm also interested in seeing how the Chinese localized version does although we may not ever really see those numbers.

The reason why there are brand exclusives tend to be because of complex working relationships across multiple levels.
Right, I don't think people realize the inner workings of it all (not to say I understand it either but I am aware that this stuff is important too). It isn't just, "Oh, thanks for the money. Here is exclusivity".

duckroll

What about Persona 4 sales? How do you explain they are lower than 1? Where was the new audience then? I don't see any reason why P5 would sell 400k+ LTD in Japan all of a sudden.

Are you seriously having this discussion or are you just taking a piss? I will assume that you are serious any take the time to educate you. Persona 1 was a RPG released on the PS1 in a time where pretty much anything can find great success because the market was exploding. Both Persona 2 games couldn't perform at that level, so it's obvious that the success of the first game didn't indicate the size of the franchise fanbase at all. In fact, after the second game, the Persona series was put on ice.

Persona 3 came out 6 years after the second Persona 2 game. It was on a brand new platform, it had a brand new core team behind it, and it had a brand new style. The gameplay flow is radically different from the previous games and it was targeting a new younger audience. This was essentially a reboot for the franchise and the story had no links to the previous Persona games, unlike the first 3 releases.

From then on, Persona has been building the new brand. Persona 3 sold 196k. Persona 4 sold 335k, Persona 3 Portable sold 232k, and Persona 4 The Golden sold 332k. The budget re-releases for the games sold very well too. Persona 3 Portable's budget title sold over 100k.

Meanwhile, the PSP remakes for Persona and Persona 2 did not go as well. Only Persona managed to sell over 100k, with the subsequent Persona 2 releases selling much less. This shows that there really isn't that much interest in the old games at all from today's Persona audience.

What we are looking at is a rebooted series on a growth track and is expanding, not a series that is recapturing old fans who somehow stopped buying the series. The demographic of fans for Persona today trends young, and many would not have been born yet when Persona was first released.

It's not about whether Sony has any say. I really don't understand why some of you think of exclusive deals as demands made by a first party against the will of everyone else. That's pretty much never how it works. The reason why there are brand exclusives tend to be because of complex working relationships across multiple levels.

easier to post about "those damn moneyhats" on GAF though

kewlmyc

Great debut for Persona. It's on par with a Tales of debut, so Persona is definitely catching up to the bigger name JRPGs in Japan. Still a long way away from DQ and FF though, but that's to be expected.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Sounds like I missed some fun.

You missed A LOT of fun.

Is not just with Persona, probabily every games VS Splatoon is the same lol.

You was crazy to predict Splatoon outsell Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest XI on PS4 ecc in Japan, and then, well, we all know how this story ends... :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are you seriously having this discussion or are you just taking a piss? I will assume that you are serious any take the time to educate you. Persona 1 was a RPG released on the PS1 in a time where pretty much anything can find great success because the market was exploding. Both Persona 2 games couldn't perform at that level, so it's obvious that the success of the first game didn't indicate the size of the franchise fanbase at all. In fact, after the second game, the Persona series was put on ice.

Persona 3 came out 6 years after the second Persona 2 game. It was on a brand new platform, it had a brand new core team behind it, and it had a brand new style. The gameplay flow is radically different from the previous games and it was targeting a new younger audience. This was essentially a reboot for the franchise and the story had no links to the previous Persona games, unlike the first 3 releases.

From then on, Persona has been building the new brand. Persona 3 sold 196k. Persona 4 sold 335k, Persona 3 Portable sold 232k, and Persona 4 The Golden sold 332k. The budget re-releases for the games sold very well too. Persona 3 Portable's budget title sold over 100k.

Meanwhile, the PSP remakes for Persona and Persona 2 did not go as well. Only Persona managed to sell over 100k, with the subsequent Persona 2 releases selling much less. This shows that there really isn't that much interest in the old games at all from today's Persona audience.

What we are looking at is a rebooted series on a growth track and is expanding, not a series that is recapturing old fans who somehow stopped buying the series. The demographic of fans for Persona today trends young, and many would not have been born yet when Persona was first released.

If people need another example of this, the Spyro series did over 20 million units by the time The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night (2010) released, mostly due to the PS1 games, but Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (2011) was selling to basically no one who bought the original PS1 Spyro titles, and its success should be judged separately from the older Spyro games.

DNAbro

Yeah 400k should be doable considering P4 sold 212k first week and 294k LTD.
Proportionally, P5 should reach 469k LTD if it maintains the same pattern but I doubt it.
But even then, 469k won't be a huge growth over the first game (391k). Only 78k more.

You are completely ignoring current market climate.

duckroll

Fair enough. I'm not sure that would be a particular relevant factor if they want to release a portable version of the game in a few years though because Sony won't have a portable.

Do you think Persona 5 would not be able to run on a current model iPhone in 2-3 years?

Unless they put it on the Vita of course since it's not exactly impossible if they do a P3P like I said.

The Vita will be 2 feet under in 3+ years (the amount of time P3P and P4G took after their respective vanilla releases) and not a viable platform to release games for anymore.

mao2

Franchises that have definitively grown this year compared to the last comparable entry.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Persona

Anything else?
Comparing first week numbers.

[360] Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - 45,536

[PS4] Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune - 44,723
[PSV] Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus - 21,959

:p

Oregano

Do you think Persona 5 would not be able to run on a current model iPhone in 2-3 years?

No, that's a definite possibility. It depends how market trends change on mobile though.

I don't think the original point I was responding to was about a mobile version though.;)

L~A

Just realised the Wii U version of Terraria is MIA... no big surprise, though. Maybe Famitsu has sales for it.

sense

Maybe not, but they would make a premium from Persona on phones.

lol. i do agree that this is going to happen eventually. considering ps5 was in development for so long, not sure how easy it would be for them to port to phones but very possible. they will develop an enhanced version for handhelds/phones. i can still see vita release possible for next year

I always thought Persona pulled like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter numbers...Does anyone know if this is a good start for a Persona games?

I always thought Persona pulled like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter numbers...Does anyone know if this is a good start for a Persona games?
[PS4] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 264,793 / NEW
[PS1] Persona {1996.09.20} — 201,147 / 391,556
[PS2] Persona 4 {2008.07.10} — 211,967 / 294,214
[PS1] Persona 2: Innocent Sin {1999.06.24} — 170,577 / 274,798
[PS2] Persona 3 {2006.07.13} — 127,472 / 210,319
[PS1] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment {2000.06.29} — 119,484 / 200,103
[PS3] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 72,974 / NEW

?

noshten

Nah i can see FFXV doing more than that first week .
Very good sales for P5 and PS4 sales were okay also .

What exactly are you basing your opinion on?
Preorders for FFXV are totally underwhelming and although there is still plenty of time before the release due to the delay - it doesn't appear that Japanese market is really excited for the new FF. I actually expect a first week that's well below the numbers you quoted - likely in the 550-650k region.

duckroll

No, that's a definite possibility. It depends how market trends change on mobile though.

I don't think the original point I was responding to was about a mobile version though.;)

My point is that it's hard to say what the market would be like in 2-3 years with regards to the portable gaming climate in Japan. We haven't seen a single portable monopoly in ages. And when there was a single portable monopoly, the games we talk about today didn't exist on portables. Hence it is not a given that just because we assume the NX will be the only dedicated portable, that all portable franchises will automatically be on it in future. Publishers may choose to explore other avenues first.

Preorders for FFXV are totally underwhelming and although there is still plenty of time before the release due to the delay - it doesn't appear that Japanese market is really excited for the new FF. I actually expect a first week that's well below the numbers you quoted - likely in the 550-650k region.

I just don't see the drop off for the first week being that big comapre to FFXIII.
At 550 -650k you are talking about a 60% drop off from FFXIII first week.
Plus there is still time for marketing to kick in .
I can see it selling less than FFXIII LTD .

Ryng_tolu

Banned

B-but that's just Comg!!!1!!!!!!!11!!!!

Oregano

My point is that it's hard to say what the market would be like in 2-3 years with regards to the portable gaming climate in Japan. We haven't seen a single portable monopoly in ages. And when there was a single portable monopoly, the games we talk about today didn't exist on portables. Hence it is not a given that just because we assume the NX will be the only dedicated portable, that all portable franchises will automatically be on it in future. Publishers may choose to explore other avenues first.

Oh I definitely agree with the bolded. I've been quite vocal about it in the past in fact.

I was responding to people saying there definitely can't/won't be a portable version of Persona 5. If Atlus wants to do it, they can. Doesn't mean they will.

Look. I expected Persona 5 triumphed YW3 in sales for this week.

It's that simple, not talking about overall sales, just talking about sales for this week.

Ridley327

This is a good start.

And no, Persona has never, ever, never ever been at the level of DQ and MH. More often than not, having a vocal fanbase as Persona has means that they're loud individuals more than a lot of people speaking at once.

Top Bottom