• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Better switch sales than I expected based on anecdotal report. It's a good sign that even in slow weeks they have that much stock. Hopefully that means we'll some big numbers for Mario week and into the holidays. Switch SW keeps holding strong and again I'm expecting big numbers in the holidays. I really feel like 3rd parties have missed out. The switch is set to explode in November and December and it looks like Nintendo is set to dominate SW sales. I think any decent sized 3rd party support would have done extremely well this year.

L~A

Metroid isn't a big seller, but it isn't the flop people sell it as. It does fine. Xenoblade does worse WW and we are in its third game already, so there's that.

No it does not. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 3D opened better than Samus Returns, and all Xenoblade games have higher LTD than the Metroid games on GamesDataLibrary (missing Super Metroid and the original Metroid II).

(Talking Japan-only)

creator

Neo Member
I'm surprised that Breath of the Wild has remained around 5k every week.

We will see Pokken Tournament DX next week and Fire Emblem Warriors the week after.

Top 20

NSW - 7

NSW | 44.052

C4AB8WcVcAEBweA.jpg

ianpm31

That could easily seem like hyperbole at first, but it's really not far off from the truth. It may get lots and lots of Japanese games, but it commercial performance is nothing special at all. It's performing close to the Wii or better in most other territories, but in Japan it's nowhere near. The Wii ended up at what 12-13 million in Japan after falling off a cliff? I don't see the PS4 getting close. Heck just look at the 3DS, far cheaper and more accommodating to Japanese gamers sure, but it's sold 23 million. There's 23 million Japanese gamers who will by dedicated game systems and the PS4 will probably only manage 1/4 of that.

It's really, really average at best.

And the rest of the world more than makes up for it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Now THIS is - sorry - ridiculous.

Why ?
People should know what to expect from PS4 in Japan it has been years now.
It's going to do less than PS3 the question is how much .
Less than the PS3 is "absolutely fine" is the point. It's a pretty dire indictment of the dedicated console industry in Japan. Considering it's also the only relevant playstation device as well is not particularly flattering either.

I think it does more personally speaking. I originally thought it would do less but not so sure now.

I think it won't live as long which is why i see it selling less.

Less than the PS3 is "absolutely fine" is the point. It's a pretty dire indictment of the dedicated console industry in Japan. Considering it's also the only relevant playstation device as well is not particularly flattering either.

Yes but it has been that way for years now.
Hell even Sony knew that which is why PS4 came out there later .
The Japanese market is nothing like it was before consoles wise.

Now THIS is - sorry - ridiculous.

Relative to expectations, I think it is doing fine. It's obviously not doing great, but at this point I think everyone knows what to expect from this thing.

Also I do agree that by this time next year, Switch would have long outsold it.

Legs Man!

08./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.971 / 694.185 (+4%)

14./13. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 5.000 / 585.553 (+11%)

15./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700) - 3.840 / 239.954 (+4%)15./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700) - 3.840 / 239.954 (+4%)

Surprised by those bumps really, there's nothing else really driving them. Maybe Splatoon buyers feeling the itch for more games?

Zedark

Surprised by those bumps really, there's nothing else really driving them. Maybe Splatoon buyers feeling the itch for more games?

We did see that Splatoon 2 was less prominent in bundles (per the switch sales breakdown of the Bic Camera stores that Chris posted). As a result, many more new buyers were not gettting Splatoon 2 as a matter of fact, which explains that small drop for Splatoon 2 and the small bumps for the other games.

Oemenia

Banned
Talk about a surprise, Winning Eleven finally decided to stop declining ?

Although that's Famitsu numbers :

PS4 Winning Eleven 2017 [49.690]
PS3 Winning Eleven 2017 [27.674]
Is there any explanation for the decline, the game went from a 500k seller to a 200k after 2013.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I always underestimate how long Sony systems survive. PS3 still getting releases even now. I think the PS4 is gonna be alive for a while.
Yeah but look at what it's selling and has been for a while. While it will keep selling for a year after the successor comes out said success will likely eat into it's sales a year in.

fortunato

Banned
PS4 got a couple of revisions; a price cut; and plenty of third-party support. In fact, it got the biggest third-party franchises out there (bar Level-5 stuff), and the next one is pretty close (Monster Hunter). Nevertheless, PS4 is not able to go above 25k units on a weekly basis. I think it's pretty clear that PS4 is going to be a niche platform in Japan; if the niche definition might bother someone, at least it is not going to be a mass-market product. Of course, according to initial expectations, it is performing better, but first year numbers were below 10k!

Maybe if we have to go back to 2005 to see home console PlayStation to sell even 2 million a year standards should be lowered a bit? It's over a decade since then. It's looking to end the year ahead of PS3. I mean not that amazing but considering its early struggles who really expected more? Back in 2014 you were laughed if you thought that PS4 would be ahead PS3 launch aligned in 2017.

We did see that Splatoon 2 was less prominent in bundles (per the switch sales breakdown of the Bic Camera stores that Chris posted). As a result, many more new buyers were not gettting Splatoon 2 as a matter of fact, which explains that small drop for Splatoon 2 and the small bumps for the other games.

Aaaah, gotcha. Thanks.

Whilst the PS4 looks set to have a pretty average finish to the year it's still a pretty good chance at having its peak year this year. Long term it looks like it can sell as much or a little more than the PS4 and quite a bit more SW. It's hardly a huge success but considering its position worldwide I doubt Sony is concerned.

Unless the sales are actually reflected in 3rd party support they have little to worry about. They're still the default for Japanese 3rd parties despite the fact that the switch is about to wipe the floor with the PS4.

I'm surprised that Breath of the Wild has remained around 5k every week.

We will see Pokken Tournament DX next week and Fire Emblem Warriors the week after.

Hopefully we see some HW bumps even if small ones for those releases. Really though just hoping HW can stay at 40-50K until Mario and then hopefully we see big numbers from then on.

Toxi

Banned
Fixed that for you.

Contrary to what the Internet would have you believe, Metroid is not a big seller.
Metroid sales in Japan are consistently far lower than they are internationally. Contrary to what Joe would tell you, this is in fact Japan.

Metroid Prime is the most successful game in the series, sold nearly 3 million copies, and sold like dogshit in Japan.

WestEgg

Relative to expectations, I think it is doing fine. It's obviously not doing great, but at this point I think everyone knows what to expect from this thing.

Also I do agree that by this time next year, Switch would have long outsold it.

PS4 got a pretty good bump from Dragon Quest, shouldn't we expect the same out of Monster Hunter, especially since the special edition PS4 will be coming out during the Holiday season?

And the rest of the world more than makes up for it.

...OK? I'm glad? This is Media Create, RotW is only relevant when making comparisons to the Japanese market. Xbox also does really well in the US, that's not important here.

PS4 could sell 50 million RotW, if it only sells 1-2 million more in Japan it will remain a very average performance at best. In Japan. The country these threads are solely about.

On Demand

Banned
PS4 sales are fine in that we know where the Japanese market is with console hardware. In that sense it's a feat it still managed to sell 5M and put up decent weekly numbers. The way some of you talk about it it's a wonder it even sold that much.

Depends how you want to look at it i guess.

PS4 got a pretty good bump from Dragon Quest, shouldn't we expect the same out of Monster Hunter, especially since the special edition PS4 will be coming out during the Holiday season?

Its a special edition of the pro with an iou for the game, doubt it'll set the world on fire

PS4 got a couple of revisions; a price cut; and plenty of third-party support. In fact, it got the biggest third-party franchises out there (bar Level-5 stuff), and the next one is pretty close (Monster Hunter). Nevertheless, PS4 is not able to go above 25k units on a weekly basis. I think it's pretty clear that PS4 is going to be a niche platform in Japan; if the niche definition might bother someone, at least it is not going to be a mass-market product. Of course, according to initial expectations, it is performing better, but first year numbers were below 10k!

I don't think niche is the right word .
It not going to be mass market in Japan but just average .
When all said and done .

Vinnk

Switch reaching baseline? If that is the one, looks good.

Nope. Still sold out everywhere. Need stock to determine a baseline.

Unless by baseline you meant "How many units Nintendo can push into the market each week" in that case, yeah this might be where we are until the holidays.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nope. Still sold out everywhere. Need stock to determine a baseline.

Unless by baseline you meant "How many units Nintendo can push into the market each week" in that case, yeah this might be where we are until the holidays.

At least for next 2 weeks shipments should rise a bit and with Odyssey at the end of October they will rise a lot. 40-50k isn't the baseline for shipments.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe if we have to go back to 2005 to see home console PlayStation to sell even 2 million a year standards should be lowered a bit? It's over a decade since then. It's looking to end the year ahead of PS3. I mean not that amazing but considering its early struggles who really expected more? Back in 2014 you were laughed if you thought that PS4 would be ahead PS3 launch aligned in 2017.
It's the only current console in Japan. That's why it's notable. Even back then things weren't this bad.

KtSlime

The PS4 is not doing "fine" even if it is selling as "expected". While the market is trending downwards, that does not mean that it can't have a swing upwards with the right product, or a change in the interests of the people. Hopefully Sony isn't just excepting the sales of the PS4 as "fine" as some here are suggesting and resigning to the "fate" of gaming in Japan but instead are trying to find a way to make their product appealing.

Edit: I still think it is confusing to use the word baseline in the wrong way. We should be using something like "shipments", since baseline already is defined as relating to product interest based on sales.

Why would Nintendo cannibalize themselves like that? There's a reason they've mostly stuck to their one system/one multiplayer franchise game rule.

To make most people fork out again, i could see it happening, a xmas 2019 splat3 would be a nice happy median bwtween nintendo's usual once a gen and the typical shooter markets every year approach

Zedark

--------------

I added two reference lines (1 million and 100k units) for clarification while considering more profound steps to break up and clarify the data (haven't had time yet to think about it and to rework it).

Top Bottom