• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To make most people fork out again, i could see it happening, a xmas 2019 splat3 would be a nice happy median bwtween nintendo's usual once a gen and the typical shooter markets every year approach
I doubt that. Nintendo seems to preferring to let their team's branch out more rather than recycle e.g ARMS and Mario Kart. Besides I'd expect a lot of this team to be working on Animal Crossing.

Wow. That's pretty insane.
Zelda is still king (But not in Japan).

D.Lo

The PS4 is not doing "fine" even if it is selling as "expected". While the market is trending downwards, that does not mean that it can't have a swing upwards with the right product, or a change in the interests of the people. Hopefully Sony isn't just excepting the sales of the PS4 as "fine" as some here are suggesting and resigning to the "fate" of gaming in Japan but instead are trying to find a way to make their product appealing.
I think it's just a fundamentally western-focused design for a console. It says Sony on the box but it might as well have been made by Microsoft, it's an intel PC in a box, requiring full game installs and giant patches and huge HDD space for 100GB games. And Japan even got a late launch as if to telegraph 'this is not for you'. There's just nothing Japanese about it.

To appeal to Japan maybe a super-quiet SSD equipped super-slim model?

Well, PS3 had 1 million seller and PS4 will have at least 3.

Can we compare PS3 software sales vs PS4's?
Not true. And PS3 was also a mediocre seller that lost the generation it competed in.

The PS4 is not doing "fine" even if it is selling as "expected". While the market is trending downwards, that does not mean that it can't have a swing upwards with the right product, or a change in the interests of the people. Hopefully Sony isn't just excepting the sales of the PS4 as "fine" as some here are suggesting and resigning to the "fate" of gaming in Japan but instead are trying to find a way to make their product appealing.

Edit: I still think it is confusing to use the word baseline in the wrong way. We should be using something like "shipments", since baseline already is defined as relating to product interest based on sales.

I sure they are trying to make there product more appealing .
It's just that they are not going to go out of there way if it harm there product on a WW base.
Japan like portables and that is no longer a Sony market .

Fukuzatsu

Edit: I still think it is confusing to use the word baseline in the wrong way. We should be using something like "shipments", since baseline already is defined as relating to product interest based on sales.

Perhaps I've just read the data wrong, but isn't PS4 doing better than PS3 in terms of hardware sold per year? The first calendar year is a bit odd because PS3 launches in a November while PS4 launches in a February, but aside from that launch year, each subsequent year (i.e. full year that can be counted for each) has the PS4 ahead. PS3's 2nd year (2008) had 981k YTD compared to PS4's 1.33 million, and PS3's 3rd year had 1.76 million compared to PS4's 1.8 million. Now, we sit in the middle of September with 1.23 million for PS4, while PS3's 4th year sold 1.59 million. These are Media Create numbers from the final week of each year, just to be clear.

Regardless of speculation about whether the PS4 will die out faster or whatever, at least for now, is it not doing better?

dracula_x

I think it's just a fundamentally western-focused design for a console. It says Sony on the box but it might as well have been made by Microsoft, it's an intel PC in a box, requiring full game installs and giant patches and huge HDD space for 100GB games. And Japan even got a late launch as if to telegraph 'this is not for you'. There's just nothing Japanese about it.

To appeal to Japan maybe a super-quiet SSD equipped super-slim model?

oh, it's funny.

please explain then why Wii U wasn't a success?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well that's true. But it is the Home Console version, if you look at those it hasn't been as popular as you're pointing out. Despite relentless publicity for the non-portable version, MH is traditionally a portable game. Played wirelessly on the train and whatnot, the home console version doesn't have as much value, besides the graphics and so on. Doesn't seem to matter much.

Perhaps I've just read the data wrong, but isn't PS4 doing better than PS3 in terms of hardware sold per year? The first calendar year is a bit odd because PS3 launches in a November while PS4 launches in a February, but aside from that launch year, each subsequent year (i.e. full year that can be counted for each) has the PS4 ahead. PS3's 2nd year (2008) had 981k YTD compared to PS4's 1.33 million, and PS3's 3rd year had 1.76 million compared to PS4's 1.8 million. Now, we sit in the middle of September with 1.23 million for PS4, while PS3's 4th year sold 1.59 million. These are Media Create numbers from the final week of each year, just to be clear.

Regardless of speculation about whether the PS4 will die out faster or whatever, at least for now, is it not doing better?

Beating the first few years of the ps3 can hardly be called an acheivement

Alrus

Metroid sold meh, and I don't expect much legs for it.

oh, it's funny.

These kind of posts are so dumb. The Wii U was a complete failure of design. It failed everywhere for different reasons than why the PS4 is underperforming in Japan. Bringing up the Wii U doesn't invalidate what he said. (Also the Wii U consistantly outsold the PS4 launch aligned for quite a while, before Nintendo just gave up on it)

First time for the Switch to be the console with most games in the top 20.
Winning Eleven sales dropped ~20%. Further decline. I expect FIFA to have a higher debut compared to last year (that franchise took off when Winning Eleven started declining - the audience is still there). My prediction of FIFA FW sales share between PS4 and Switch is around 82% vs 18% (4,5 : 1).
Metroid sales are lukewarm, as expected. Nothing too interesting about it imo.
84% drop for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Switch. That's expected. The thing was sold out at many places, so I blame supply rather than player interest.
Switch hardware has found a nice bottomline at 45k. It'll probably stay like this the coming weeks until Super Mario Odyssey.
PS4 hardware sales are disappointing imo and the holiday line-up doesn't look good enough to improve the situation. Sony can be happy if the bottomline of 25k units per week stays.

Toxi

Banned
Nintendo pretty much gave up trying with the wii u after a year or so, a more normal price curve and a couple more games and it likely would have maintained its lead over ps4 in japan at least
The reason there wasn't a normal price curve was because of the tablet controller bumping up production costs.

Nintendo hardly "gave up", they just had an incredibly poorly conceived product they really couldn't salvage if they tried.

D.Lo

Perhaps I've just read the data wrong, but isn't PS4 doing better than PS3 in terms of hardware sold per year? Like, the first calendar year is a bit odd because PS3 launches in a November while PS4 launches in a February, but aside from that launch year, each subsequent year (i.e. full year that can be counted for each) has the PS4 ahead. PS3's 2nd year (2008) had 981k YTD compared to PS4's 1.33 million, and PS3's 3rd year had 1.76 million compared to PS4's 1.8 million. Now, we sit in the middle of September with 1.23 million for PS4, while PS3's 4th year sold 1.59 million.

Launch aligned they're basically the same I believe?

But PS3 never got Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy took longer to arrive, and was far more expensive and was up against an initially crushingly successful Wii. PS4 was cheaper and had only the failed Wii U to compete against.

oh, it's funny.

Are you serious or trolling? Wii U was a completely stupid console design that failed for completely unrelated reasons.

dracula_x

Metroid sold meh, and I don't expect much legs for it.

These kind of posts are so dumb. The Wii U was a complete failure of design. It failed everywhere for different reasons than why the PS4 is underperforming in Japan. Bringing up the Wii U doesn't invalidate what he said. (Also the Wii U consistantly outsold the PS4 launch aligned for quite a while, before Nintendo just gave up on it)

Totally agree.

Fukuzatsu

Beating the first few years of the ps3 can hardly be called an acheivement

Well what would you prefer it be compared to? No one is denying that the PS4 is still not outselling the PS2, or Wii. But compared to their previous console hardware, it is doing better. So if it's dead now, then by god it must have been double-dead last generation.

Mameshiba

Neo Member

You are right, launch aligned the PS4 is slightly ahead of the PS3 in Japan right now, i think around 100k? The PS3 however had a really slow start due to the high price and weak software, and started getting momentum later in its long life. The PS4 most likely won't have a similar development. If you factor in that the PS3 had to compete with the stronger Wii, while the PS4 is basically the only relevant home console in the market, the PS4 performance looks a bit weak given the favorable conditions.

lyrick

Well what would you prefer it be compared to? No one is denying that the PS4 is still not outselling the PS2, or Wii. But compared to their previous console hardware, it is doing better. So if it's dead now, then by god it must have been double-dead last generation.

It's following nearly the same trajectory as its predecessor. If the PS3s "success" was middling at best, so is PS4s.

D.Lo

It's not dead now, but is a niche. And yes, PS3 was a complete disaster that crawled back to poor-mediocre.

The reason there wasn't a normal price curve was because of the tablet controller bumping up production costs.

While it certainly didnt help had it sold a bit better there would probably have been more wiggle room on other components but its pretty clear a decision was made early on not to bother and likely just manufacture out all the systems they had already ordered components for and make the maximum profit on them

Vinnk

It is indeed performing microscopically better than it's disappointing predecessor.

Mission accomplished.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Metroid numbers not bad at all.

The thing with Metroid numbers is that most sales came from the Special Edition and they will drop like a rock next week. When you look at the big picture of LTD and not the irrelevant "better than expected for first week" things won't look good. it will likely been outsold from almost all previous 2D (and 3D) entries.

Vena

New color last week was a few thousand sales boost as expected. And this week had two decent launches, but the PS4 might slide even lower as the month progresses and we enter October. Weak holiday's not going to do it any favors this year.

Switch just chugging along, and Xenoverse 2 has no stock. Oops.

That could easily seem like hyperbole at first, but it's really not far off from the truth. It may get lots and lots of Japanese games, but it commercial performance is nothing special at all. It's performing close to the Wii or better in most other territories, but in Japan it's nowhere near. The Wii ended up at what 12-13 million in Japan after falling off a cliff? I don't see the PS4 getting close. Heck just look at the 3DS, far cheaper and more accommodating to Japanese gamers sure, but it's sold 23 million. There's 23 million Japanese gamers who will by dedicated game systems and the PS4 will probably only manage 1/4 of that.

It's really, really average at best.

You can't make that comparison. Just about every kid in Japan owns a 3DS. Two brothers in the same household will own one, that won't happen with a home console.

D.Lo

The thing with Metroid numbers is that most sales came from the Special Edition and they will drop like a rock next week. When you look at the big picture of LTD and not the irrelevant "better than expected for first week" things won't look good. it will likely been outsold from almost all previous 2D (and 3D) entries.
Despite the good reception, it's been poorly positioned worldwide. It's just so late for a core 'hardcore' 3DS game.

Anoxida

It's not dead now, but is a niche. And yes, PS3 was a complete disaster that crawled back to poor-mediocre.

I feel like at this point people are just trying to belittle Sony by calling PS4 niche. Or some of y'all have a weird fucking definition what is niche. PS4 is not niche. Even Wii U isn't niche. They're just not blockbusters. Imma call Switch niche too until it sells more than 10 million consoles, might as well use the word wrong too.

Top Bottom