• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Busaiku said:
So that means New Love Plus will probably move systems too.

...Yeah, this is true.
Another impressive thing is that Kagura did actually as much as both LTDs of the Ikki Tousen games combined.
Marvelous planned marketing well for this game... and now we can say it: they chose the right console to launch a new IP like this.

EDIT: And now that I think about it...a BOOBS game doing so well on a Nintendo platform?
Composition of audiences maybe changing?

Chris1964 said:
Senran Kagura did the trick this week. Retailers were reporting simultaneous purchases with 3DS.

Well, I will have to remind myself never to underestimate the powah of 3D boobs in the Japanese market!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Canova said:
this time From Soft get all the money, since they're the publisher.

so yeah Sony is a fool, one of their worst mistakes this generation is to abandon Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls is going to sell millions worldwide, more than most of Sony's first parties

Nope, that would be Namco if I am not mistaken. But I agree with Sony NA being a bunch of stupid fools.

Alrus

Nice opening for Kagura and amazing sales for Dark Souls. I wonder if it'll have the same legs as Demon's Soul or if it'll be more front loaded (I'm guessing the later).

3DS will probably slow down a bit in October considering it has barely anything...the Pink 3DS will still drive sales up, I'm guessing we'll see some great numbers that week, 100k+ maybe?

I can't wait for November/December numbers now!

BurntPork

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Very good numbers for Dark souls and PS3, Acosta should be happy that the time machine was built for this week. Also surpised with 3DS.

For the holidays it might but the 3DS isn't going to get a dramatic boost in September from the anouncement of MH Tri G and MH4.
Still, 3DS got SF64 and Flame Red this month, so that should keep sales high on the NPD for this month, while Pokemon Rumble Blast will keep October above 150k. It's smooth sailing for 3DS for the rest of the year.

saichi

manueldelalas said:
3D boobs man, it's all thanks to 3D boobs.

thought it's only 2D in Senran Kagura... 3D boobs in DOA 3DS didn't do much :(

Even if 3DS starts to drop again next week, it will do fine before Pink model is released. Nintendo conference before TGS certainly worked wonders for Japan market.

bzVtE.png

Holy shit, I'm so happy Dark Souls is getting the sales it deserves!

If hardcore gaming like this catches on again (which I pray every night that it does), From Software will be single-handedly responsible for making it happen.

Go From! So the industry might be mended in-fucking-deed!

Glorious_Paradox said:
Holy shit, I'm so happy Dark Souls is getting the sales it deserves!

If hardcore gaming like this catches on again (which I pray every night that it does), From Software will be single-handedly responsible for making it happen.

Go From! So the industry might be mended in-fucking-deed!
Whut.

Jomjom

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:

I think he's mainly talking about difficulty, the old-school hardcore kind. If that's what he meant, I think that's a pretty correct assessment. The hardcore games nowadays are not really very difficult because they are all trying to appeal to a mass audience.

Akkad

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
But... but... but...

GAF and gaming journalists told me that Nintendo and 3DS were doomed!

Geez, you Nintendo fans really get your panties in a bunch when somebody badmouths your company. Did you really need a double post for that?

BurntPork

Banned
Nintendo's stock is approaching a new low. How long before another Bloomberg "3DS flop" article? I say it'll happen within a few hours.

PdotMichael said:
I don't know if this is true about the 3DS. The expected profit for this year is extremly low or?
Once the software sales increase, that'll definitely be the case; just not to the degree Nintendo once expected.

So the boobs game is responsible for the boost? I can't imagine how much the boost will be when Mario Land hits will be then. Then once Dec hits, Mario Kart and MonHon together? Wow...

MLH

05./01. [WII] Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.09.15} (¥4.440) - 54.775 / 318.174 (-79%)

I thought Aeana said DQ collection was limited to 250 000 units, or is that 250k first print (with mini medal) and regular game sold separately?
I ask since I have a copy and not sure if I should open it.

Akkad said:
Geez, you Nintendo fans really get your panties in a bunch when somebody badmouths your company. Did you really need a double post for that?

Honestly, I think the severe doom and gloom atmosphere surrounding Nintendo lately is creating a juxtaposition with the actual market conditions that we are currently seeing in Japan. It can be frustrating watching people denounce and deflate something, that is clearly headed towards some sort of success, for rather unfounded reasons (as of now).

Alrus

Mario Land is yet again sold out at amazon. Doesn't mean much I know but I wonder if it'll reach number one again when(if?) they get more stock.

Anth0ny

Good shit to Gears. 360 has surpassed PS2 this week!

3DS going off. Looks like that Monster Hunter announcement did the trick. I don't see that number going down any time soon with Mario and Mario Kart coming. And, of course, MH.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anth0ny said:

3DS going off. Looks like that Monster Hunter announcement did the trick. I don't see that number going down any time soon with Mario and Mario Kart coming. And, of course, MH.

It will go down, with October, when

1) It won't see any significant release
2) October is actually a slow month in Japan for every hardware.
...At least, until the Pink comes.

Mpl90 said:
It will go down, with October, when

1) It won't see any significant release
2) October is actually a slow month in Japan for every hardware.
...At least, until the Pink comes.
Unless of course people start buying in October in anticipation of Nov/Dec shortages

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anth0ny said:

This holiday season will make 3DS a phenomenon in Japan, which pretty much guaranties its success for years. The 3D videos, social capabilities, 4 swords on millions of systems. It's going to be a phenomenon, it's written on the wall.

test_account

XP-39C²
Canova said:
this time From Soft get all the money, since they're the publisher.

so yeah Sony is a fool, one of their worst mistakes this generation is to abandon Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls is going to sell millions worldwide, more than most of Sony's first parties
While Demon's Souls were quite successful for an "underdog" title, i dont think that it broke 1 million copies worldwide. If Sony made Dark Souls PS3 exclusive, would it suddently sell over twice as much as Demon's Souls did? Personally i dont think so. It is possible, but it is not a bet i would put a lot of money on at least.

Sony gets money for each PS3 game that is sold regardless due to royalties, so they still make money on this, so i'm sure they are glad that the game is exclusive in Japan :)

Also, for all that we know, Sony might have tried to secure Dark Souls as a PS3 exclusive, but maybe they couldnt match the offer from Bandai Namco, since they wanted to make the game multiplatform, which potentially means more sales.

Orayn

PSFan said:
Just like what everyone said about DS in 2004/early 2005
I don't know what you're talking about, the DS was an abject commercial failure, just like the Wii.[/mat00r]

Glad to see DkS topping the charts! Here's hoping North America matches or exceeds this.

Chris1964 said:
I think I'll update this graph every week until January.

UhRmq.png
It'll be interesting to see how the 3DS will compare with the DS this holiday season. How does the 3DS lifetime numbers compare to the DS' 38 weeks of total sales, out of curiousity? I may be reading things wrong but it looks like 3DS is slightly ahead.

wsippel

Banned
Mpl90 said:
...Yeah, this is true.
Another impressive thing is that Kagura did actually as much as both LTDs of the Ikki Tousen games combined.
Marvelous planned marketing well for this game... and now we can say it: they chose the right console to launch a new IP like this.

EDIT: And now that I think about it...a BOOBS game doing so well on a Nintendo platform?
Composition of audiences maybe changing?
Well, DS had that loli witch touching thing SNK did, or two of them. Don't know if that actually sold, though - or if it was even targeting the same audience.

Lord_Byron28 said:
It'll be interesting to see how the 3DS will compare with the DS this holiday season. How does the 3DS lifetime numbers compare to the DS' 38 weeks of total sales, out of curiousity? I may be reading things wrong but it looks like 3DS is slightly ahead.

That graph is missing DS's launch.

Top Bottom