• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

duckroll

Not sure why you guys think I never say anything positive about Level-5. I've always said Hino is a great businessman, and recognize his successes. But they made a lot of shitty RPGs too, and of course I'll never forgive him for Gundam AGE. So when he fails, I laugh at him. It's only fair, because he made us all suffer for a year with that crap on air. Lol.

Also: PSV.

While it's doing better than last year, can its weekly average be considered disappointing? It's heading towards the 10k mark, which is actually pretty terrible for a hardware that has recently had a somehow constant flow of games.

dugdug

Banned
I hope Bayonetta 2 keeps selling with good word of mouth, i know this doesnt mean much, but the game was going to bomb unfortunately, with all the competition, being a niche game on a niche console, this is expected, Nintendo supported it well imo, bundling the original, TV ads, showing it at all their presentations, making a Direct, even funding it was a risk.
Even if they could do better with the Marketing, there is only so much they can do on WII U, a AAA campaign, for example, wouldnt make much sense.

Huh? It's an exclusive to their platform. It wouldn't make sense that they'd try to sell it?

Edit: unless I'm reading this wrong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I expected 20k for Bayonetta and while this is no success, it's decent by comparison to W101 and with some other 1st party games on Wii U, except the biggest sellers.

While it's doing better than last year, can its weekly average be considered disappointing? It's heading towards the 10k mark, which is actually pretty terrible for a hardware that has recently had a somehow constant flow of games.

Well, it's already surpassed last year's sales with over 2 months left in the year. the glass is half full.

Road

Be aware that Monday is a national Holiday in Japan. So the shipment should be ready today to avoid stock problems tomorrow.

02./04. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 56.380 / 2.525.591 (+20%)
09./08. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 6.396 / 672.313 (-6%)
10./10. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 4.554 / 1.274.296 (-7%)
13./23. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 2.944 / 4.144.405
19./29. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 2.554 / 3.788.095

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     43.592 |     39.569 |    159.388 |  1.547.486 |  2.972.851 |  16.209.406 |
|  WIU  |      8.396 |      7.062 |      5.824 |    404.857 |    451.439 |   1.930.287 |

Yep, holiday confirmed.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Bombabox One and Bombanetta 2.

Sigh... those numbers are depressing but somewhat (heh) expected.

At least Smash is doing good.

I think it's the opposite. They seem to be able to get first parties to fund pretty ambitious titles with original ideas even when the market is cratering for such titles with little hope for the publisher to recoup the cost. They still get paid, the games still get made. Of course the concern now is what it means in the future.

Unfortunately/fortunately I think more contract jobs for existing IPs will be in their future. They can obviously make good games, but may need a bigger brand to find commercial success.

What were those games? It currently only has 1 game in the top 20.

beril

Huh? It's an exclusive to their platform. It wouldn't make sense that they'd try to sell it?

Because they'd be spending more money on the marketing than they could realistically hope to make back through sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right, this week we have also PS4 straight back into the territory of those who fail the Vegeta test.

And Destiny PS3 > Destiny PS4 this week. With a very good second week drop too.

SmokyDave

The last month has been pretty rough, that's for sure. I'm not entirely sure why it's dropped from 18-20k down to hovering just above 10k, but it has. The N3DS is going to put the hurt on it further shortly.

Next year is going to be far worse, I fear. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) Sony react. I can't imagine them mounting any sort of rescue operation, but I can see 'em putting the project to bed.

CANLI

I own a jap wii u. Does Bayonetta have English language in the game? , so I can buy it or I will wait next year until my brother buys a USA wii u.

3ds LTD will arise a lot with new 3ds, mh4, pokemon and other important games coming as One piece battle, FF explorers, Shingeki no kyojin 2,etc...

Ratrat

I guess Japanese men aren't into older women or women at all for that matter. *looks at Vita's top sellers* <_<
God Eater 2
Persona 4 Golden
Tokiden
FFX
Hatsune Miku f
Sword Art Online
Soul Sacrifice

Okay. You think all Japanese men are both vita and wii owners and are pedophiles based on the above top seller list and the fact that yet another platinum game bombed on a failed system.

RalchAC

I think he means that since most of the audience that buys games like Bayonetta 2 doesn't have any interest on the platform, the results wouldn't have been much better than that even if they did an expensive marketing campaign.

Or, at least, it wouldn't have made sense financially. It's better spending 100 and get back 20 than spending 250 and getting back 30.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

It's like this every year

H1 = Sony systems sells decently with a marketing campaign accompanying a price drop, bundle or first-party title.

H2 = Nintendo doesn't leave any breathing room for their competitors

I think it should be pointed out just how expensive Bayo2 is due to Bayo1 being included, think it's the only region to reflect that, everywhere else it's normal price.

I don't know how much Bayo1 was on PS360, but I'd assume far less.

Now it's a question how much more it could've sold without Bayo1 and at a cheaper price.

Ushiwaka

I think it's the opposite. They seem to be able to get first parties to fund pretty ambitious titles with original ideas even when the market is cratering for such titles with little hope for the publisher to recoup the cost. They still get paid, the games still get made. Of course the concern now is what it means in the future.

How far can they go with this, is what my concern is. I hope they get to make games forever, but I'm worried that publishers don't think like that.

EhoaVash

Wtf why is the 3ds still selling she. The new o e is around thecorner

It seems bayo2 sold more than donkey kong country ropical freez

Astral Dog

Nintendo TRIED to sell it, like i said, but, at the end of the day, its a game for a niche audience, it didnt sell that well when it was on two very popular systems with " hardcore" gamers,had SEGA marketing, was released on a month with little competition, had the Developers pedigree behind it, was critically acclaimed, even considered one of the best action games, and who knows how many of the copies sold were at reduced prices, my point is, this game is not going to appeal to the typical gamer, the audience it had was not enough for SEGA to keep funding it, and was always a 360/PS3 game, Nintendo where the ones that funded it, and i hope someday the game has another chance at selling, but throwing more money at it is not going to magically make it a big success, no matter how much i wish it was :(

I think it should be pointed out just how expensive Bayo2 is due to Bayo1 being included, think it's the only region to reflect that, everywhere else it's normal price.

Now it's a question how much more it could've sold without Bayo1 and at a cheaper price.

Would have bombed regardless.

Ratrat

I think they were the same prices according to amazon. Also 8k isn't exactly unusual.

So Bayonetta 2 bombed so hard that it'll struggle to match the first one's launch numbers on the 360. Pretty much what I expected, but at least it's not as terrible as W101's performance.

Ah now that is a good point

Are they available seperately on the shop? anyone know how much for?

Scum

Not sure why you guys think I never say anything positive about Level-5. I've always said Hino is a great businessman, and recognize his successes. But they made a lot of shitty RPGs too, and of course I'll never forgive him for Gundam AGE. So when he fails, I laugh at him. It's only fair, because he made us all suffer for a year with that crap on air. Lol.

looool

Ty4on

Ok, someone explains to me why 3DS sales are HIGHER than last week, after SSB released, despite New 3DS approaching (at least for MC). I can't get it.

Maybe because Smash was so supply constrained last week they couldn't get a copy and delayed their 3DS purchase. Smash sales are still really high.

Opiate

This is how I feel. They're a studio that keeps getting large scale contracts even though they have a history of making games which are unpopular. That's catching a lot of breaks, frankly.

Impotaku

I own a jap wii u. Does Bayonetta have English language in the game? , so I can buy it or I will wait next year until my brother buys a USA wii u.

3ds LTD will arise a lot with new 3ds, mh4, pokemon and other important games coming as One piece battle, FF explorers, Shingeki no kyojin 2,etc...

Yeah there are options to turn the text & subs to english in the japanese version.
WWQLhwm.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For PS4 selling so much last week mainly because of Destiny hype and not the bundle hype died really fast, didn't it?

3DS Smash could clear Brawl LTD before the end of the year. Online sales must be very big.

NEO0MJ

How can Bayo 2 bomb so bad ;_;

I mean, only 2% of Wii U owners bought it. What other games are the others so busy with?!

Top Bottom