• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Someone update the gif, plz:

GUlIw5W.gif
Lmfao I have never seen this gif. Holy hell.

tolkir

Mahvel hasnt exactly been big in japan far as i can remember

Not big, but very decent.

Famitsu numbers:

DC - Marvel Vs. Capcom - 62,373 / 110.558
DC - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 - 72,388 / 143.166
PS2 - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - 48,998 / 115.989
PS3 - Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 66,921 / 101.292
PS3 - Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 - 19,126 / 44.553

Edit: beaten

Looks like we can expect a Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Switch ports soon... And a imminent Switch version of Monster Hunter World.

Celine

The Switch is a monster.
Constantly selling > 30K week over week is a normal pattern for a market leading console.
These consecutive weeks around 45K for Switch isn't something I would categorize as "monster".
I'm not dismissing Switch, I believe in its potential but selling 45K in a week in Japan isn't some amazing feat.

Hero

Good on Pokken.

Capcpom stay losing. I kind of hope World bombs just to add to their list of failures and hopefully someone will wake the hell up over there.

Zedark

Looks like we can expect a Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Switch ports soon... And a imminent Switch version of Monster Hunter World.
I smell assumptions of competence. You know better than that.

Good on Pokken.

Capcpom stay losing. I kind of hope World bombs just to add to their list of failures and hopefully someone will wake the hell up over there.
Dude.

fortunato

Banned

The problem is not the platform choice, but the game itself in my opinion. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite would have performed poorly on Switch as well.

noshten

What's the estimate for end of year Switch LTD if Nintendo can keep up stock with a bump for the usual three big weeks, 2.5 million?

Its going to be around 2 million with the SMO launch with a full November/December with much greater supply. I'd say most likely it would be between 3.5-4 million unless it's severely under supplied(>3.5 mil) or they drastically increase supply(>4.0mil).

Good on Pokken.

Every time a Capcom game comes along and bombs, we always say "well surely they'll wake up and learn from their failures!"...and they don't.

There really is no hope for this company.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Constantly selling > 30K week over week is a normal pattern for a market leading console.
These consecutive weeks around 45K for Switch isn't something I would categorize as "monster".
I'm not dismissing Switch, I believe in its potential but selling 45K in a week in Japan isn't some amazing feat.
True dkesn't actually tell also much either way beyond it's popular as it's extremely supply constrained still over there.

Tripon

Capcom really needs to take a.long and hard look at what exactly they are doing over in their headquarters.

Hero

Nintendo Switch is sold out consistently in Japan. The supply is the thing holding the system from selling more units, not demand.

fortunato

Banned
Reminds me of Tokyo Mirage Seasions and Wonderful 101.

Not very comparable games. They were basically two new IPs on an unsuccessful console bought primarily to play traditional Nintendo games. Marvel vs. Capcom is a famous franchise that gamers know well, and that sold well in the past, on a console that saw successful fighting games.

Huge debut for Pokkén DX, considering it did 70.000 on Wii U and this is just an enhanced port. Shows how big the Switch's potential is.

MVCi bombed as expected. Dat GIF tho haha

DQX on Switch will show its true form when Version 4 releases in November.

Neoxon

I kind of hope World bombs just to add to their list of failures and hopefully someone will wake the hell up over there.
Unless something insanely negative happens for MHW prior to release that absolutely craters the positive fan reception of the game so far, I wouldn't be too sure. Then again, RE7 was well-received & still underperformed (in terms of Capcom's expectations).

Hero

Unless something insanely negative happens for MHW prior to release that absolutely craters the positive fan reception of the game so far, I wouldn't be too sure. Then again, RE7 was well-received & still underperformed (in terms of Capcom's expectations).

Yeah, I meant bomb relative to Capcom's own internal expectations.

Alrus

It'll be interesting to see which version of DQ X 4.0 sells the most. Afaik Wii owners could upgrade to the switch version for free?

And lol at MvC, what a disaster for Capcom.

Plainsong

Thing is though it seems that it is constantly selling out the regional allocations. If they could provide more then that number would increase dramatically. True though that 45k isn't setting the world alight but the demand for it seems way higher than that number. That to me is impressive in itself.

There real problem with these MvCI performances is when you compare it to Capcom's own expectations. If it was a low budget title (which it looks like, but licensing may have been super pricey) with low expectations then this would still be a bad performance which happens to everyone, but compare it to their expectations of 2 million this FY and you can see something is clearly wrong at Capcom.

zelas

Yeah, I'd like to see the DS and 3DS comparisons.

Edit - and obviously the wii lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

RE7 was well-received maybe from gaming forums and press, because sales showed again that mass market =/= internet reaction.

Windforce

MVCI is really low.

As someone who has purchased MvC2 on Dreamcast, MvC3 on PS3, and closely following the series, I really don't feel like getting this game.

First, I was severely upset with how the UMvC3 release was handled. And second, this game looks horrible - almost a straight downgrade from the PS3 game. Chun-Li is my favorite character and she looks like a mess.

It'll be interesting to see which version of DQ X 4.0 sells the most. Afaik Wii owners could upgrade to the switch version for free?

Yup, that's true. And once Version 4 drops, Wii support will stop, so those players need to go somewhere if they want to continue playing. Switch version 4 sales will be a good indication of how many players used the option to upgrade.

Jackano

Looks like Japan is getting a 40-50k bunch of Switch weekly.

While it's a good number we havn't seen in a while, that's still not comparable to Wii/DS era.
That's still even slightly under the post-Ambassador program 3DS.

The supply constrain makes things hard to read here but on the strict numeric data I'm just saying, it's below.

Minsc

Gold Member
As a huge MvC fan from back in the Dreamcast / Arcade era, I don't even know what to say about these recent sales. Nor do I understand how they could be so low. My only guess is they made it with completely the wrong vision in place, but it's Capcom right, so they're used to making bad decisions I guess.

Even in the absolute best case, MHW is looking at a decrease of around 2-3 million in Japan in terms of sales(somewhere between 1-2 million LTD). It has to make up that deficit by increasing sales by 3-4 million in the west in order to sell equivalently to MH4. More likely, it'd have to see sales of 5-6 million or more to justify the increase in production costs. In that regard, it's kind of like RE6. RE6 had a huge budget increase but it barely sold more than 5. If production costs had been lower or the player base increased enough to justify the production costs, 7 would have been an action RE.

Top Bottom