• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

fortunato

Banned
Despite selling a ton of hardware, was it the preferred platform for anything other than Nintendo games?

Family and local multi-player games sold pretty well.

Wii has the third best-selling Taiko no Tatsujin game (about 660k units) and even the worst-selling entry sold more than 250k units. Bandai Namco also had Go Vacation (350k+), Family Fishing (220k), Family Trainer (150k), Family Ski (120k+) and other smaller party games. One Piece games also sold relatively well.

Another gaming company that sold well on Wii was Hudson. The 2009 Wii entry is the third best-selling one with 650k units, behind the two PS1 entries.

Hello my dear, how are you ????

I'm finally back from my holidays, and I'm sorry to say that I didn't get the Switch yet, that lottery really sucks...
but now i have 13k points :D

Anyway, if next week Setsuna or Parappa will bump on the chart, it's my fault :

vQUn2UM.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hello my dear, how are you ????

I'm finally back from my holidays, and I'm sorry to say that I didn't get the Switch yet, that lottery really sucks...
but now i have 13k points :D

Anyway, if next week Setsuna or Parappa will bump on the chart, it's my fault :

vQUn2UM.jpg

Why???

boiled goose

good with gravy
It makes perfect sense with these numbers, with the only difference that Wii version didn't exactly bombed but heavenly underperformed.

Tales series had always been in the 300k-600k ballpark, with Destiny, Destiny 2 and Xillia being the only exceptions. So the PS3 version number is a good number for that series and not mediocre average as you said. And we are still talking about a port here. Wii version from the other hand (210k) is below average and there is no way you could put these two in the same bag. I mean you can but it doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Been following this exchange and it seems you have a set narrative and are sticking to it despite when facts were presented that contradicted your made up facts (bomba bins).

Also, it's funny that your good range (300k to 600k) is much wider than the good to heavily underperformed gap (200k to 300k).

If we get all sales numbers for the series, we can accurately make claims and see where each of those fall in the distribution.

A 300k range is not "average" with something falling under that range being "severely underperforming". That's not how it works. Lol.

An honest evaluation of the sales from the alleged facts is that neither version did great, with the wii version of course doing worse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honest question. I think I've asked this once before, but we've had somewhere in the range of 25-35+ Switch announcements since then. What third party games are people expecting to sell well on the Switch in Japan?

Fisico

It makes perfect sense with these numbers, with the only difference that Wii version didn't exactly bombed but heavenly underperformed.

Tales series had always been in the 300k-600k ballpark, with Destiny, Destiny 2 and Xillia being the only exceptions.

Abyss is near 600k, Rebirth is at 600k, Eternia closer to 700k, Phantasia PS1 around 550k....
Symphonia would have made it to had it been released on PS2 first, Vesperia is around 500k on PS3 and would have arguably made it had it been there in the first place...

More like around 600k itself WAS the ballpark Tales used to sell.
300-600k is way too big to be a decent ballpark in the first place, it's like saying FFXV sold ok because it's still in the same 1-2M ballpark FFXIII is in too.

It wouldn't have in the west. Here it only bombed on PS3.

It didn't bomb (was around 190k NA+EMEA last I checked) but by series standard it was slightly below what they use to sell which is around the 200-300k ballpark (Vesperia 270k, ToS DotNW 230k, Abyss 3DS 220k, Xillia 330k...)

lyrick

Honest question. I think I've asked this once before, but we've had somewhere in the range of 25-35+ Switch announcements since then. What third party games are people expecting to sell well on the Switch in Japan?

Depending on what it form the final game actually takes, I'm guessing Dragon Quest XI should do alright.

Shin Megami Tensei HD has a decent chance to pick up some traction from where IV left off.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

DQ Builders 1 and 2

L~A

DQ Builders 1 and 2

DQB will most assuredly be full price (because no way Squeenix learned their lessons, did they?), so I'm not putting my money on that one.

DQB2, on the other hand... it's a brand new title, so there's that. Well, hopefully they finally see reason with the pricing. I remember retailers not being happy at how expensive the first one was.

Laplasakos

Been following this exchange and it seems you have a set narrative and are sticking to it despite when facts were presented that contradicted your made up facts (bomba bins).

The only made up fact was that it hit bomba bins and even then i said ''if i remember correctly''. Kinda funny how you missed this. The only other fact i made is that Tales fanbase wasn't on Wii (well Baba said fanbase was on Playstation, so it's not so made up) which i think it makes more sense than ''game bombed because of bugs'' or ''game bombed because of FFXIII'' but i see you don't have problem with these claims.

Also, it's funny that your good range (300k to 600k) is much wider than the good to heavily underperformed gap (200k to 300k).

If we get all sales numbers for the series, we can accurately make claims and see where each of those fall in the distribution.

There is no ''my good range'' but only Tales range. Personally, i always check the numbers regulary or before talking about sales, something that seems you are not doing since you say you don't have the numbers. Here

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=42

As you can see main titles range anywhere from 300k to 600k with the only exceptions i mentioned. Graces Wii and Vesperia are the two of the worst selling main games. I think this says a lot.

A 300k range is not "average" with something falling under that range being "severely underperforming". That's not how it works. Lol.

In Tales case, that's how it works.

An honest evaluation of the sales from the alleged facts is that neither version did great, with the wii version of course doing worse.

For real now, 330k for Graces f is not great despite being being a port and a Tales game? You are wrong.

gtj1092

Did the Wii and PS3 version launch together? If all these switch ports selling a fraction of the original release are considered to have good sales the Grace's F PS3 sales are phenomenal.

Fisico

There is no ''my good range'' but only Tales range. Personally, i always check the numbers regulary or before talking about sales, something that seems you are not doing since you say you don't have the numbers. Here

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=42

As you can see main titles range anywhere from 300k to 600k with the only exceptions i mentioned. Graces Wii and Vesperia are the two of the worst selling main games. I think this says a lot.

Out of date numbers which also don't include the older titles.

The 300-600k range for mothership title you're referring to never existed in normal circumstances until today (where it's safe to say after Zestiria and Berseria that now they sell in the 300-500k range)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Octopath Traveler
Believe

Depending on what it form the final game actually takes, I'm guessing Dragon Quest XI should do alright.

Shin Megami Tensei HD has a decent chance to pick up some traction from where IV left off.

DQ Builders 1 and 2
While I don't disagree that these all have potential, I am still left wondering what the first successful Switch game will be that:

1.) Is not a franchise that was a success on the Wii or Wii U (Dragon Quest, Taiko, that kind of thing)
2.) Is not an exclusive, since there aren't actually a lot of exclusives these days

To me, that would really be the start of the Switch showing that it can successfully pick up games from the more multiplatform oriented modern Japanese publishing approach in the domestic market.

Like, as an example, if we had Attack on Titan 2 come out and do 50%+ of the PS4 version's sales on Switch, that would be a good example, especially if we pretended the game was something moving 200K+ at launch instead of bombing.

Laplasakos

Out of date numbers which also don't include the older titles.

The 300-600k range for mothership title you're referring to never existed in normal circumstances until today (where it's safe to say after Zestiria and Berseria that now they sell in the 300-500k range)

The only ones missing from the list is Tales PS1, Phantasia Snes (which sold less than 300k)and the recent ones you mentioned. As to out of date numbers, it's the ones i could find, if you have updated numbers you should post them for the rest of us.

fortunato

Banned
While I don't disagree that these all have potential, I am still left wondering what the first successful Switch game will be that:

1.) Is not a franchise that was a success on the Wii or Wii U (Dragon Quest, Taiko, that kind of thing)
2.) Is not an exclusive, since there aren't actually a lot of exclusives these days

To me, that would really be the start of the Switch showing that it can successfully pick up games from the more multiplatform oriented modern Japanese publishing approach in the domestic market.

Like, as an example, if we had Attack on Titan 2 come out and do 50%+ of the PS4 version's sales on Switch, that would be a good example, especially if we pretended the game was something moving 200K+ at launch instead of bombing.

XenoVerse 2 is already at about 30% of PS4 version sales. Puyo Puyo Tetris is the second best-selling version after 3DS. Once PSV dies off with multi-platform games, it's not farfetched to think Switch will pick up the slack, though PS4 will still have the lion's share.

Xenoverse 2's JP sales are peanuts compared to overseas sales so I don't see much point in looking at relative sales in that region for the title.

schuelma

Xenoverse 2's JP sales are peanuts compared to overseas sales so I don't see much point in looking at relative sales in that region for the title.

Well, aside from Japan the only data point we have is UK. And we happen to be in a Japanese sales thread talking about Japanese third party games. Sooo why aren't those sales relevant?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's a delayed port anyway so I don't think it really counts by that context Disgaea V Complete probably outperformed the PS4 version worldwide though obviously if you add in the original the PS4 likely comes out on top.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
XenoVerse 2 is already at about 30% of PS4 version sales. Puyo Puyo Tetris is the second best-selling version after 3DS. Once PSV dies off with multi-platform games, it's not farfetched to think Switch will pick up the slack, though PS4 will still have the lion's share.

Yeah. Part of why I lead off with the first question is I view selling 100K copies of a game that sells 300K copies total as more relevant than selling 4K copies of a game that sells 15K copies total.

Now, obviously Dragon Ball is more in the middle area here, so it is still an interesting submission.

MoonFrog

I'm guessing SMT HD will sell well and might be multiplatform. But the series has done well on previous Nintendo systems.

I also think Octopath can do fine. But it is an exclusive (for now--wasn't SE planning on porting handheld games to mobile down the line?).

What're the games that Switch recently had announced, where the assumption is the game is a PlayStation native?

The one that comes to mind is the Atelier game, but those even sell particularly well in the first place? The hope there would be that the game does closer rather than further from an even split with PS versions.

Does someone have a list of Switch "gets" so we can go through them to discuss Nirolak's question?

Oregano

Well, aside from Japan the only data point we have is UK. And we happen to be in a Japanese sales thread talking about Japanese third party games. Sooo why aren't those sales relevant?

I think we have Spanish numbers as well. XV2 Switch did very low(think it was 3k?).

lyrick

I think we're going to have to wait until some same day releases actually occur to see if the market decides that the Switch is going to be a better home for a franchise than its alternatives.

Trying to get already limited markets to double or triple dip on titles just because they're finally making an appearance on a new platform isn't going to give us a whole lot of usable data to work with.

About a month from now KT is doing a current gen Warrior title dump, pretty sure that's not going to make any waves or provide much analysis unless for some crazy reason the games just fly off the shelves.

schuelma

Yeah. Part of why I lead off with the first question is I view selling 100K copies of a game that sells 300K copies total as more relevant than selling 4K copies of a game that sells 15K copies total.

I think the main problem is how many 300K total LTD games are even 1) announced for Switch or 2) announced, period?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think we're going to have to wait until some same day releases actually occur to see if the market decides that the Switch is going to be a better home for a franchise than its alternatives.

Trying to get already limited markets to double or triple dip on titles just because they're finally making an appearance on a new platform isn't going to give us a whole lot of usable data to work with.

About a month from now KT is doing a current gen Warrior title dump, pretty sure that's not going to make any waves or provide much analysis unless for some crazy reason the games just fly off the shelves.
Yeah. That's why I lead off with Attack on Titan 2 as an example, though I expect the game to tank relative to the previous entry given how Koei Tecmo has been going lately.

I think the main problem is how many 300K total LTD games are even 1) announced for Switch or 2) announced, period?
Yes, which is part of the existential issue the Japanese dedicated market is still facing, even with a new healthy platform in the market.

I'm guessing SMT HD will sell well and might be multiplatform. But the series has done well on previous Nintendo systems.

I also think Octopath can do fine. But it is an exclusive (for now--wasn't SE planning on porting handheld games to mobile down the line?).

What're the games that Switch recently had announced, where the assumption is the game is a PlayStation native?

The one that comes to mind is the Atelier game, but those even sell particularly well in the first place? The hope there would be that the game does closer rather than further from an even split with PS versions.

Does someone have a list of Switch "gets" so we can go through them to discuss Nirolak's question?
SMT HD being multiplatforms or not will also tell us about Maniax’s future plans from now on.

I think we’ve got all possible hints pointing out that the studio is going Switch-only from now on but people are focusing too much about why they called it SMT HD

Oregano

Yeah. That's why I lead off with Attack on Titan 2 as an example, though I expect the game to tank relative to the previous entry given how Koei Tecmo has been going lately.

Yes, which is part of the existential issue the Japanese dedicated market is still facing, even with a new healthy platform in the market.

AOT2 would be a weird example(like XV2) because whilst that individual (sub)series hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform the IP has, and it's been very successful.

duckroll

Yeah Atlus is so keen to go all in on Switch that they decided to shit out 4 more 3DS games after the Switch was released. Dedication.

Fiendcode

It didn't bomb (was around 190k NA+EMEA last I checked) but by series standard it was slightly below what they use to sell which is around the 200-300k ballpark (Vesperia 270k, ToS DotNW 230k, Abyss 3DS 220k, Xillia 330k...)
I just remember the dissapointing NPD (63k) ltd after several months. Curious what the ASP is on that 190k then?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

In absolute numbers, none.
There isn't a single project with the potential to break the 500k mark announced from third parties so far

Probably only DQXI aiming to sell in between 300k/500k

Dq builders 2 with the potential to seat around 200k alongside Octopath

I struggle to see many games with the potential to break the 100k barrier

In terms of context, the hotness of the console can lead to some decent sales for small or minor projects

The disappointing port of a spinoff with potential cut by the announcement of the flagship episode of the series shifting console that is MHXX will probably stay relevant in the switch third party sales chart for awhile

Mario x Rabbids is unpredictable for me right now

Laplasakos

There isn't a single project with the potential to break the 500k mark announced from third parties so far

Probably only DQXI aiming to sell in between 300k/500k

Dq builders 2 with the potential to seat around 200k alongside Octopath

I struggle to see many games with the potential to break the 100k barrier

In terms of context, the hotness of the console can lead to some decent sales for small or minor projects

The disappointing port of a spinoff with potential cut by the announcement of the flagship episode of the series shifting console that is MHXX will probably stay relevant in the switch third party sales chart for awhile

Mario x Rabbids is unpredictable for me right now

200k for Switch Builders 2 is very low, no?

Vena

I feel like in general (especially looking back to Nirolak's TGS posts) that there's not much of *any* major software that looks like it will sell into the multiple hundreds of thousands. Doesn't even matter if its for the Switch, PS4, or Ouya.

We've got a handful of titles. If you remove first party Nintendo offerings, its even fewer.

Alrus

There is so few japanese third party game selling over 300k these days that it seems a bit strange to put the "selling well" barrier at 500k though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
200k for Switch Builders 2 is very low, no?

How much did the first one sell?
Usually many sequels of spinoff tend to sell worst than the original despite being better (more contents, more refinements and so on) and the PS4 version will still lead the sales imho

For PS4 I can think of a few contenders:

GTS
DW9
COD WW2
Yakuza Kiwami 2
MHW
Dissidia NT
Fist of the North Star
DQB2

I'm actually curious how RDR2 will do as well.

Fiendcode

How much did the first one sell?
Usually many sequels of spinoff tend to sell worst than the original despite being better (more contents, more refinements and so on) and the PS4 version will still lead the sales imho
Builders 1 did around 330k Vita, 250k PS4 and 120k PS3. I think Builders 2 will be a noticable decline from that.

fortunato

Banned

Sure. Dragon Ball is incredibly successful on Nintendo platforms in Japan, though. Fusions sold 200k+ copies, for example. Ultimate Mission games are all between 220k and 300k units. It makes sense that Dragon Ball games will sell well on Switch over there. As for worldwide sales, why should Dragon Ball not sell well on Switch?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There is so few japanese third party game selling over 300k these days that it seems a bit strange to put the "selling well" barrier at 500k though.

I didn't say that

There are various layers of selling good related to the nature of the projects
What I said is that in general numbers I think that we can't define a project so small to not have the potential to break the 100k mark to be relevant in terms of market sales and penetration
I ha e never seen the Vita support of many very small games as particularly relevant for example
And the issue with Switch software is exactly that. You can't see any significant nor relevant project announced so far,able to register actual good and relevant general real sales numbers
It was t that hard to count 3ds games with the potential to sell more than 100k, 200k, 300k or even 500k. The comparison so far is really embarrassing

Builders 1 did around 330k Vita, 250k PS4 and 120k PS3. I think Builders 2 will be a noticable decline from that.

I agree.
I would say that 200k/300k on Switch would be a good result

Vena

Some of these don't seem even remotely likely to hit 300k based on past precedent:

For PS4 I can think of a few contenders:

GTS
DW9
COD WW2
Yakuza Kiwami 2
MHW
Dissidia NT
Fist of the North Star
DQB2

I'm actually curious how RDR2 will do as well.

This is the latest CoD (capping off at ~150k before it fell off the chart):
01./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.11.04} (¥7.900) - 105.764 / NEW <59,75%>

This is GT6, and globally we've seen a fall for the racer genre in general so I don't know if it will go up or down:
01./00. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 # <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} (¥6.980) - 204.784 / NEW <55,92%>
07./00. [PS4] Driveclub <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.10.09} (¥6.372) - 8.620 / NEW (not much of a comparison)

Yakuza isn't looking too hot (and decline is expected further):
01./00. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life # <ADV> (Sega) {2016.12.08} (¥8.190) - 218.168 / NEW <60,50%>
01./00. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega) {2016.01.21} (¥6.490) - 103.256 / NEW <74,43%>
02./00. [PS3] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega) {2016.01.21} (¥6.490) - 60.427 / NEW <75,15%>

No idea what to expect of the others, only MHW and DQB2 are a sure bet.

Oregano

I think Dissidia NT will be a lot less popular than the PSP games but I'm not sure to what degree. How much did Duodecim do in the end anyway?

Top Bottom