• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

StormKing

Its more like the opposite. Japanese companies being dependant on domestic sales is a huge risk considering the decline of the market. Expanding to over seas is the logical step as not only is the market far more lucrative but also more stable.

The technical gap from SW to PS4 is certainly lowering the barrier but thats not the reason to expect SW/PS4. A lot of games this TGS were not SW/PS4 even if they could run on the SW relatively easily (just like PC). Being a global success and showing there's a market for their software is what will give third parties confidence.

Mind you, I don't expect SW to get quite a few JP third party titles: high end ones (like FFXV, KH3, FF7R and MHW), certain niche ones that don't feel the need to expand, and franchises whose audience aren't usually on Nintendo platforms.

If Japanese developers want to increase domestic sales of their games, they need to release on switch. Targeting the western market at the expense of the domestic market is a big risk with grave repercussions for failure especially for titles like Monster Hunter World. Switch will get most mid tier Japanese games and the high end ones as well if the console sales keep smashing the PS4. This holiday will be the deciding factor.

If Japanese developers want to increase domestic sales of their games, they need to release on switch. Targeting the western market at the expense of the domestic market is a big risk with grave repercussions for failure especially for titles like Monster Hunter World. Switch will get most mid tier Japanese games and the high end ones as well if the console sales keep smashing the PS4. This holiday will be the deciding factor.
It’s not like the switch sales is horrendous outside of Japan lol

Laplasakos

There's a search function where you can just type "Tales" and see every game listed.
Why shouldn't we include budget release in LTD number?

I wasn't aware of the earch function, thanks for mentioning it, i will have it in mind from now on.

I don't have any problem with including budget releases, it's just that most of the times we are talking about small numbers, so i don't think it's worth it (although there are some budget releases with good numbers, like Abyss, MGS4 or Nintendo games).

Regarding the next mainline game, i agree with you that it could sell 400k-600k, as a PS4 exclusive or PS4/Switch.

I don't see a new Mothership Tales ever selling 400k-600k ever again in Japan, regardless of system(s). I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Berseria sold 240k on PS4 and 113k on PS3. Total number is 353k and this was after Zestiria which had a terrible reception in Japan. I think there is a decent chance for the next one to sell 400k assuming it will be appealing to the fans.

L~A

A multiplatform one (PS4/NS) could do the trick.

Possibly. Berseria's positive reception should have cleared the poisoned well it inherited from Zestiria.

It's weird how they never bother to launch with PC and just do it later outside the country.

How is that weird? PC market in Japan is nowhere as big as in the west, by a wide margin. Especially for "traditional" games.

I don't see a new Mothership Tales ever selling 400k-600k ever again in Japan, regardless of system(s). I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Tales of Berseria got close to 400k.

They rather increase over seas sales as the returns will be far larger is the point. Your statement is a generation behind to be honest as many publishers have already begun targeting the overseas market, so I'm sure they know about the risks and gains possible. The latter being greater than the former (and the devs wanting a build a better game) is probably why MHW exists in the eyes of Capcom.

Nothing really shows SW getting most of the mid tier support though at this moment and it has only gotten a single high end game: DQ11.

Oregano

A multiplatform one (PS4/NS) could do the trick.

I think they would have to do something to make the core product more appealing. Increasing the production values/switching to a modern engine would be a good start, but they would have to do much more IMO.

Honest question has there been any series that has actually increased sales after moving away from cross gen? The vast majority declined at least a little bit and I don't see why Tales would be an exception.

L~A

Jump Festa is also the place where Squeenix could finally talk about DQXI Switch, provided they intend to do so this year at all (which is something I'm not quite convinced of).

So, no leaks this week, huh. That or the Media Create ninjas still haven't released the blogger.

"How did you get hold of our super secret data? Who is your contact inside? Are you an enemy of Media Create?!"

Anyway, interesting week ahead. Only 30mn left.

Berseria sold 240k on PS4 and 113k on PS3. Total number is 353k and this was after Zestiria which had a terrible reception in Japan. I think there is a decent chance for the next one to sell 400k assuming it will be appealing to the fans.

Pretty unbelievable that 113k people bought this game that released in August 2016 on PS3 instead of PS4 - a ratio of 32%. Persona 5, which released in September 2016, sold a similar number (116k) on PS3, which is 22% of total sales. In 2016, Yakuza Kiwami, DQB, DQH2 and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 also sold over 100k copies on PS3.

Does anyone have a reason why so many people hadn't upgraded from PS3 to PS4 while still actively playing games at the time? Have they upgraded since, or is it more likely that they skip PS4 completely?

Do you guys that FFXV Switch is in active production? Because I even doubt about the status of DQXI.

Tabata said (whatever the worth of HIS words are...) that Square Enix and Epic Games are looking into FFXV on Switch. Sounds to me like they're looking into porting it over to UE4; why else would Epic be there? Is a Switch version worth the port to UE4 tho? I doubt it tbh, unless they can use parts of the code for other ports/projects...

They may do that, but I don't think the chance is big. I 100% believe FFXV will end up on Switch one way or another - whether that's UE4 or the Pocket Edition or whatever. I don't think it's in active development right now.

Regarding DQXI, I think they shifted focus to that only after the release on 3DS/PS4. I think it'll be the UE4 version with improvements like voice acting and stuff like that.

Fiendcode

It’s not like the switch sales is horrendous outside of Japan lol
Pretty much. The for-the-west rationale for excluding Switch doesn’t make much sense when the platform is killing it globally. Switch is really the only platform where Japanese devs don’t have to sacrifice either domestic or foreign markets.

L~A

Media Create

Switch 73,231
PS4 22,822
New3DS LL 9,915
New2DS LL 8,359
PS4 Pro 6,547
Vita 3,732
2DS 1,655
New3DS 392
Xbox One 71
Wii U 68
PS3 64

FE Warriors Switch: 41k
FE Warriors N3DS: 18k
Cold Steel III: 87k
FIFA PS4: 55k
FIFA Switch: 12k

Datschge

Pretty unbelievable that 113k people bought this game that released in August 2016 on PS3 instead of PS4 - a ratio of 32%. Persona 5, which released in September 2016, sold a similar number (116k) on PS3, which is 22% of total sales. In 2016, Yakuza Kiwami, DQB, DQH2 and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 also sold over 100k copies on PS3.

Does anyone have a reason why so many people hadn't upgraded from PS3 to PS4 while still actively playing games at the time? Have they upgraded since, or is it more likely that they skip PS4 completely?
Why? There is a big chance a lot of people owning PS3 are never getting a PS4, and Berseria was the very first Tales game to get a same day release on PS4 (Zestiria PS4 released in Japan much later). In general for games getting both PS3 and PS4 release it's still rather recent that the ratio changed in favor to PS4.

Top Bottom