• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
210k was the biggest western IP around back in 08,thats not that a big feat now

mw4 sold 200kish in 07/08 over its 3 versions, blops 2 over 500k in 2012/13

This thing with sudden increased Japanese interest on western titles has to end some time. Call of Duty exploded in Japan when it exploded in west ans Square Enix took over its publishing.

GTA couldn't top 420k even on mighty PS2, it won't sell now 200k more than that because Take-2 says so.

This thing with sudden increased Japanese interest on western titles has to end some time. Call of Duty exploded in Japan when it exploded in west ans Square Enix took over its publishing.

GTA couldn't top 420k even on mighty PS2, it won't sell now 200k more than that because Take-2 says so.

CODs explosion was more gradual increase from title to title, it was 4 that did start the increase. We'e had tlou hit 200k earlier in the year so the end for increased interest in western games isn't likely to start so soon.

I don't think 600k is likely but i think it will end closer to 600k than 200k. (so yes i think it will match the mighty ps2 number)

unrelated news 2 new vita games announced at dengeki thingy thats going on today, Sword Art Online and some Toradora game

event still has a couple of hours to go, that segafighting game is supposed to be there too so i wonder if we get platform annoucement for it

The 360 GTAV target doesn't seem that crazy - since IV sold 65K? Although I don't know whether 360 software has collapsed a lot since then?

it's totally crazy considering the top seller games this year were GoW:Judgement and DoDonPachi with 20-25k units sold...

another thing that i don't know if someone already mentioned is in the last weeks GTAV was already available as US and ASIA versions, both charting on amazon.jp and they should have sold a little considering last week i saw 3 or 4 copies available in a Trader shop

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't think 600k is likely but i think it will end closer to 600k than 200k. (so yes i think it will match the mighty ps2 number)

The argument isn't if it will sell more than GTAIV full priced version. Is 550k for PS3 without budget re-releases reasonable on not?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sword Arts Online for Vita seem a good announcement (especially because it's exclusive), the last one sold pretty good IIRC. Is the anime still that popular in Japan?

Current situation for PS4 games on Amazon.co.jp

WatchDogs - 13th
Yakuza Ishin - 21st*
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 59th*
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 66th
Battlefield 4 - 85th
Driveclub - 100th*

Yakuza Ishin PS3 - 46th

*=titles still without the classic Amazon discount (normally 18-20%), expect them to rise a little when their price will be "normalized".

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sword Arts Online for Vita seem a good announcement (especially because it's exclusive), the last one sold pretty good IIRC. Is the anime still that popular in Japan?

WatchDogs - 13th
Yakuza Ishin - 21st*
Battlefield 4 - 85th
Driveclub - 100th*

Yakuza Ishin PS3 - 46th

*=titles still without the classic Amazon discount (normally 18-20%), expect them to rise a little when their price will be "normalized".

Eh watch dogs is the most popular ps4 game on Amazon Japan not sure what to make of that. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Too early to tell either way.

Mpl90

Eh watch dogs is the most popular ps4 game on Amazon Japan not sure what to make of that. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Too early to tell either way.

What seems strange to me is how low Yakuza is on Amazon so far. Considering the kind of audience it's aimed at, you'd expect it being very, very high on those charts.

Seeing Dynasty Warriors so low (otuside top 100) is a bit surprising, but not that much after all: it's the SKU "with XL", the most expensive one, many months later compared to PS3 and Vita SKUs. Heck, probably Dynasty Warriors Next at Vita launch and Samurai Warriors Chronicles at 3DS launch were better titles for a launch, saleswise.

Shinriji

Sword Art Online OVA will release at the end of the year, and there are rumours that the second season of SAO will air in 2014, so it is good news for Vita.

Mondriaan

I think Pokemon is going to take a huge bite out of Monster Hunter 4's legs. You can't grind for pokemon and grind for tamas at the same time. MH4 should probably still do okay and stick around in the top ten for a while, though.

If they make an HD console version of MH4, I hope Capcom has the sense to go multi-platform just they're doing with MH Frontier 2, but I'm starting to think that there isn't going to be a MH4 HD.

Mpl90

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/17/samurai-warriors-doing-well-on-nintendo-3ds-more-games-coming/

Remember this? I guess Koei decided not to release more SW games on the 3DS, at least not for the time being, especially with SW4 coming soon.

Chronicles - 146,517
Chronicles 2nd - 78,466

The article says SWC2nd was an "enhanced update of the first with more content", while I thought it was a proper sequel. Thus, its result is actually pretty good, and now I understand why they were already almost satisfied when it was at 60k (this was the time when that tweet was made, IIRC).

Maybe we'll see it next year, after SW4 releases. Having the MH4 audience on board should help sales as well.

WatchDogs - 13th
Yakuza Ishin - 21st*
Battlefield 4 - 85th
Driveclub - 100th*

Yakuza Ishin PS3 - 46th

What seems strange to me is how low Yakuza is on Amazon so far. Considering the kind of audience it's aimed at, you'd expect it being very, very high on those charts.

Seeing Dynasty Warriors so low (otuside top 100) is a bit surprising, but not that much after all: it's the SKU "with XL", the most expensive one, many months later compared to PS3 and Vita SKUs. Heck, probably Dynasty Warriors Next at Vita launch and Samurai Warriors Chronicles at 3DS launch were better titles for a launch, saleswise.

It depends on the retailer. For example, Tsutaya Online Store's Top 100 rankings show Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors 7 as the most successful PS4 preorders so far.

Tsutaya Online Store Rankings for PS4 games (online only):

08. Yakuza Ishin
31. Dynasty Warriors 7
72. Battlefield 4
85. Killzone: Shadow Fall
86. FIFA 14

(35. Yakuza Ishin PS3)

Mpl90

It depends on the retailer. For example, Tsutaya Online Store's Top 100 rankings show Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors 7 as the most successful PS4 preorders so far.

Tsutaya Online Store Rankings for PS4 games (online only):

08. Yakuza Ishin
31. Dynasty Warriors 7
72. Battlefield 4
85. Killzone: Shadow Fall
86. FIFA 14

(35. Yakuza Ishin PS3)

Tsutaya provides online store rankings as well?You know, I always use Comgnet + Amazon in order to try to comprehend how games will fare, and so far this method didn't give me too different results from the trends we see in sales charts then (trends, not numbers), but I'd be interested in looking at those charts as well. Especially for seeing how they compare to Amazon. A link?

Mario007

Watch Dogs was voted as the most impressive game of e3 by Famitsu readers after FFXV, KH3 and MGSV so there seems to be something in that game that struck a cord with Japanese players.

I think Pokemon is going to take a huge bite out of Monster Hunter 4's legs. You can't grind for pokemon and grind for tamas at the same time. MH4 should probably still do okay and stick around in the top ten for a while, though.

If they make an HD console version of MH4, I hope Capcom has the sense to go multi-platform just they're doing with MH Frontier 2, but I'm starting to think that there isn't going to be a MH4 HD.

At the same time the userbase of the 3DS is expanding at a pretty incredible rate. Surely there is enough room for both games to sell well. They also seem to appeal to slightly different audiences.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, now that we're past the TGS window where we drown in media from every game announced, I'm bringing back the explanations in force.

I'm changing the format up a bit though.

Tales of Link: (Namco Bandai, iOS/Android)

What is it?

Namco announced three Tales games for iOS. This is the only one that is both a traditional game (I'll get to Bibliotheca a bit later today) and designed for mobile from the ground up.

Currently there are only scans, but the game works as follows. I made a highly sophisticated artist's rendition to help people follow along:

talesoflinkhdue4.png

a745 at AbyssalChronicles said:
In battle, as seen in the above scan, there are a total of 9 characters in active battle at one time. There are 3 other characters at the back of the front lines that will be in rotation - hence the actual number of characters in the party is 12. Whatever the level of the player is, that will be the level of the characters.

This part isn't that clear, but making a "Friend" allows you to insert their characters in your party. As seen above, the images from left to right indicate your Leader character, your Sub Leader, and your Friend's own Leader and Sub Leader.

There are symbols at the feet of the characters called Brave Linker which I believe change from time to time or something. When you touch characters together with the same symbol (i.e. you drag on the screen), a Link is formed from this team, and when you let go, these linked characters will then attack. And if you manage to actually put 9 characters on screen to be involved in a Brave Linker, a Hi-Ougi/Mystic Arte will be performed. There's also an indicator above that says which Brave Linker marks will be coming up during the next rotation.

Why is it notable?

This continues the current trend in Japanese mobile games of going from non-game (Mobage/GREE tap games, FF:ATB) to pick-up-and-play games (P&D, Wonderflick) that can conceptually have a fair amount of depth even if the base control scene is fairly straight forward.

Since these are actually games, unlike the previous wave of Japanese mobile titles, I consider it a positive movement for the industry.

---

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax: (Sega, Arcades/Mystery) (Part 2)

What is it?: A licensed anime fighting game from Sega starring the characters from Dengeki Bunko. which is a manga and light novel publishing label from ASCII Media Works.

It's getting a home console version on a mystery platform, but given what it is and that it's 720p, I'm going to guess it's on at least PS3. Given it's 2D with simplistic 3D backgrounds, it could conceptually be ported to a lot of platforms.

Why is it notable?

The director and producer of Valkyria Chronicles 1 are the director and producer on this. This is notable because it implies that Sega sees this as a somewhat more important project.

Tsutaya provides online store rankings as well?You know, I always use Comgnet + Amazon in order to try to comprehend how games will fare, and so far this method didn't give me too different results from the trends we see in sales charts then (trends, not numbers), but I'd be interested in looking at those charts as well. Especially for seeing how they compare to Amazon. A link?

http://shop.tsutaya.co.jp/game/rank.html

Keep in mind that this is NOT the rankings at their actual stores...it's just for their online shop.

Mpl90

http://shop.tsutaya.co.jp/game/rank/?ke=peadtp&waad=galU60f8

Keep in mind that this is NOT the rankings at their actual stores...it's just for their online shop.

Yeah, I know it's for the online shop, don't worry, thanks :)

EDIT: After a brief look, I can see there are major differencies, like NBA 2K14 in top 30, GTAV being higher on 360 than PS3 (...wutwut), Nintendogs 59th (...wwwwwut), Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World in its Selection SKU higher than the upcoming SEGA soccer title for PS3 (......wut), and other things that make me think it's not as reliable as Amazon (and given how Amazon itself is not 100% accurate, far from it - especially without a correct filter of what displays - that's not so good XD)

L Thammy

Can you expand on this? I don't think there's any force preventing Japanese tastes from becoming more inclusive of Western titles. I think the main issue has more to due with platform transition: the assumed slow transition to PS4, the growing popularity of GREE and Mobage.

I don't know what we'd do without you, Nirolak. It would surely be mayhem.

Guile, a pimp, and a dude with a golf club are fighting Trogdor and Pac-Man. Can the real game match up?

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)[/U][/B]

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 483pt
02. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate – 59pt
03. [PS3] Armored Core: Verdict Day – 30pt
04. [PSV] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate – 20pt
05. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle – 20pt
06. [3DS] Brain Age: Concentration Training – 18pt
07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 17pt
08. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 16pt
09. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn – 15pt
10. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 14pt
11. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – 13pt
12. [PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – 13pt
13. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 11pt
14. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 10pt
15. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition – 9pt
16. [PS3] Arcadias no Ikusahime – 9pt
17. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate (Premium Box) – 9pt
18. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 9pt
19. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 8pt
20. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Dubbed (Bargain Edition) – 8pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
PS3 - 8
3DS - 7
PSV - 2
WIU - 1
WII - 1
PSP - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Spiegel

Impressive hold for MH4 (at Comgnet stores at least). Last week it had 512 points, which might indicate another sell out and around 200k sales again.

So it is basically true that MH4 has been sold out at retail each week so far?
It's totally true, according to Famitsu and Media Create.

And looking at Amazon and Yodobashi, this is what happened this week:

Monday - sold out
Tuesday - sold out
Wednesday - in stock
Thursday - in stock

Friday - sold out
Saturday - sold out
Sunday - sold out

MEZbh2e.gif

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)[/U][/B]

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4						01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 483pt
02./02. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate				02. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate – 59pt
03./03. [PS3] Armored Core: Verdict Day					03. [PS3] Armored Core: Verdict Day – 30pt
04./05. [PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki			04. [PSV] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate – 20pt
05./04. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki			05. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle – 20pt
06./06. [PSV] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate				06. [3DS] Brain Age: Concentration Training – 18pt
07./10. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn			07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 17pt
08./07. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD			08. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 16pt
09./15. [3DS] Youkai Watch						09. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn – 15pt
10./12. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life			10. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 14pt
11./20. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf					11. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – 13pt
12./18. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life				12. [PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki – 13pt
13./16. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team					13. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 11pt
14./13. [3DS] Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion			14. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 10pt
15./17. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle			15. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition – 9pt
16./14. [PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 with Power-Up Kit	16. [PS3] Arcadias no Ikusahime – 9pt
[B]17./NEW [3DS] SPEC: Ten[/B]							17. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate (Premium Box) – 9pt
18./11. [PS3] Arcadias no Ikusahime					18. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 9pt
19./29. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint)			19. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 8pt
20./34. [3DS] Mario Kart 7						20. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Dubbed (Bargain Edition) – 8pt
[B]* New releases are in bold 						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9									PS3 - 10
PS3 - 7									3DS - 5
PSV - 2									PSV - 3
WIU - 1									WIU - 1
PSP - 1									PSP - 1[/B]

[b][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[360] Halo 4: Game of the Year Edition
[360] Gears of War (Platinum Collection Reprint)
[360] Gears of War 2 (Platinum Collection Reprint)
[360] Gears of War 3 (Platinum Collection Reprint)
[360] Fable II (Platinum Collection Reprint)
[360] Fable III (Platinum Collection Reprint)
[/b]

For the people who aren't regulars in Media Create threads:

What is Tsutaya?
Tsutaya is a major retailer with 1,444 retail stores (613 that sell new games) all across Japan.

What is Comgnet?
Comgnet is the website for the retailer "COMG!" that has 16 retail stores across one prefecture in Japan.

Why post these rankings?
They are released three days before Media Create + Famitsu + Dengeki give us nationwide sales, so we get a general indication of how well the games will perform relative to their competition.

How accurate is Tsutaya compared to nationwide retail tracking services?
It's large enough that it gives a very probable indication of future sales rankings, but it's not large enough to be definitive.

Famitsu: ~3,600 stores
Media Create + Dengeki: >3,000 stores
Tsutaya: 613 stores
Comgnet: 16 stores

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

Too early to judge MH4 perf guys.

Just like Animal Crossing, MH4 will probably see a very significant bump in the holidays.

Tripon

jesus capcom needs to remember they have the biggest ip in japan

like seriously

Nobody wants to sit on inventory. Not the factories, not the manufacturers, not the companies who order it, or retailers. At least there's a download option for people this time around.

Square2015

Yeah I project XIII-3 will debut at 408k

...that's based on COMGNET preorders compared to where XIII-2 and XIII were at this point.

Actually I made that prediction a few weeks ago, now it's looking like 350k-400k
*eek*

Mondriaan

Nobody wants to sit on inventory. Not the factories, not the manufacturers, not the companies who order it, or retailers. At least there's a download option for people this time around.
The download option is more profitable for Capcom and Nintendo I would think. Also, it reduces the number of copies that end up on the used games market.

liger05

It's totally true, according to Famitsu and Media Create.

And looking at Amazon and Yodobashi, this is what happened this week:

Monday - sold out
Tuesday - sold out
Wednesday - in stock
Thursday - in stock

Friday - sold out
Saturday - sold out
Sunday - sold out

MEZbh2e.gif

Not good news for the Haterz who want to believe the game is selling below expectations.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was also sold out for months.
I don't remember that, I think it was sold out during its launch month (December). PSP was sold out for a couple months.

But anyway, Capcom shipped tons of MHP3 copies.

629.541 > 581.543 > 404.175

MH4 shipments are nowhere close to that.

473.739 > 213.278

Let's see how much it sells this week, probably another 200k? Mess.

If MH4 has been indeed supply contrained, I wonder how much it would have sold otherwise.

So far MH4 has perhaps performed even better than Animal crossing new leaf - on the other hand AC as far as I recall kept selling consistently for a couple of months -, so it has yet to be seen whether it will show similar legs.

5720+-+Animal+Crossing%3A+New+Leaf+-+3DS

Code:
Week 	     Rank  SalesWeekly      Sales LTD
2012-11-05 	1 	721,786 	721,786
2012-11-12 	1 	315,317 	1,037,103
2012-11-19 	1 	237,823 	1,274,926
2012-11-26 	3 	118,898 	1,393,824
2012-12-03 	4 	115,556 	1,509,380
2012-12-10 	1 	213,329 	1,722,709
2012-12-17 	1 	400,320 	2,123,029
2012-12-24 	1 	163,948 	2,286,977
2012-12-31 	1 	135,971 	2,422,948