• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

BadWolf

I'm not really trying to transfer my own thought process there.

My presumption that the majority of the potential market for a game like Bayonetta isn't willing to necessarily buy a system for Bayonetta is essentially the sales of the franchise now and then.

Have to admit that I'm one of those as well.

Loved the first game and put over a 100 hours into it. Would have easily gotten it day 1 if it was on PS3, but a new console is a no go.

Have to admit that I'm one of those as well.

Loved the first game and put over a 100 hours into it. Would have easily gotten it day 1 if it was on PS3, but a new console is a no go.
You might want to buy a Wii U eventually to not only play Bayonetta 2, but also X, Fatal Frame, Monster Hunter,
SMTxFE
, etc.

That's where Bayonetta 2 comes in, it's there to make Wii U a more attractive product.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Takao

Banned
I wonder how Xenoblade is going to do. Nintendo will essentially launch the first JRPG on the system with that ... I'm expecting it to be closer to its Wii numbers than any of the other Wii U games.

BadWolf

You might want to buy a Wii U eventually to play not only Bayonetta 2, but also X, Fatal Frame, Monster Hunter,
SMTxFE
, etc.

That's where Bayonetta 2 comes in, it's there to make Wii U a more attractive product.

Was speaking for just myself.

Aside from Bayo 2, only W101 and X interest me. Nothing else. I don't buy a console when there is that little that interests me on it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Software sales 26 weeks into this FY (Dengeki)

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| System |          FY14 H1           |          FY13 H1           | Change  |
|        | (2014.03.31 to 2014.09.28) | (2013.04.01 to 2013.09.29) |         |
| 3DS    | 8.210.707                  | 9.036.244                  | -9.1%   |
| PS3    | 2.679.494                  | 4.592.444                  | -41.7%  |
| Vita   | 2.619.250                  | 1.293.555                  | +102.5% |
| Wii U  | 1.456.648                  | 640.582                    | +127.4% |
| PS4    | 665.600                    | -                          | -       |
| PSP    | 480.479                    | 1.934.313                  | -75.2%  |
| X360   | 71.459                     | 204.839                    | -65.1%  |
| XB1    | 65.400                     | -                          | -       |
| Wii    | -                          | 517.443                    | -       |
| DS     | -                          | 228.735                    | -       |
| Total  | 16.249.037                 | 18.448.155                 | -11.9%  |

- Dengeki stopped reporting Wii & DS software and hardware earlier this year, so no FY14 numbers.
- 3DS software slightly down compared to FY13 H1, probably because MH4 was already out by this point in FY13 H1.
- Huge decline in PS3 & PSP software sales.
- Vita & Wii U software sales up significantly compared to FY13 H1.

So if I'm not mistaken, about half of Wii U software sales are Mario Kart 8... that's still insane lol....

horuhe

I wonder how Xenoblade is going to do. Nintendo will essentially launch the first JRPG on the system with that ... I'm expecting it to be closer to its Wii numbers than any of the other Wii U games.

I think X will not do very well, it will flop anyway. As you said there is not fanbase of that kind of games on Wii U, and I guess it will do less than Xenoblade Wii.

And it will not be the only one. Splatoon, Captain Toad, Fire Emblem x SMT, etc. everything will bomb.

If Nintendo knows how to play its cards, Amiibo and Smash Bros. can save the situation and help the games I mentioned before.

Oh I'm very sure X will do better than the original at least in Japan anyway. It only gained a following after it launched and then the whole operation rainfall thing started here.

Last I check it sold a lot more used after that.

Yeah it´s nice to want things, there always have been exclusives and there´ll always will be. It´s quite obvious where you are coming from and with this mindset it´s obvious why there are so many obtuse port beggings in many threads. I have absolutely no problem for whatever reason someone buys just one system, that´s totally fine actually, but it just gets pathetic that instead of accepting that this way you can´t enjoy every excellent game, the whining, bashing, trolling and portbegging begins.

Well, this is a sales thread so who cares about people portbegging and whining? The implication of you posting what you did in here was that the game wasn't selling because "hardcore" gamers wouldn't buy another system to play it.

Edit: Hopefully Smash Bros gets people interested enough in Xenoblade that the name recognition carries over and helps Xenoblade sell. I have doubts X will reach Xenoblade's numbers though.

Mory Dunz

To me, Xenoblade's performance depends entirely on if Nintnedo market it or not. I think it could bomb or do better than Chronicles, it just depends.

And who knows what they'll do.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo will pimp the shit out of XBMC, but yeah it might still flop. But they have Shulk in Smash and they will launch the first game on the n3DS in preparation - this should help get the word of mouth going sooner and get more people interested.

Ad0l

Banned
You might want to buy a Wii U eventually to not only play Bayonetta 2, but also X, Fatal Frame, Monster Hunter,
SMTxFE
, etc.

Nintendo failed to make Wii U an attractive product for Bayonetta 2 audience. Isn't this the reason Bayonetta 360 sales are better then Bayonetta 2 sales?

Bayo 2 is a great addition to Wii U library, but potential customers (even "hardcore gamers") need to be disposed to play *everything* just to find a handful of appealing exclusive games to justify the purchase of a Wii U.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for many people, Bayonetta 2 was just the first (maybe second or third) reason to buy a Wii U.

Sandfox

I think X will not do very well, it will flop anyway. As you said there is not fanbase of that kind of games on Wii U, and I guess it will do less than Xenoblade Wii.

And it will not be the only one. Splatoon, Captain Toad, Fire Emblem x SMT, etc. everything will bomb.

If Nintendo knows how to play its cards, Amiibo and Smash Bros. can save the situation and help the games I mentioned before.
I would be surprised if "everything" flopped on the Wii U. I think all of those games will do decent enough with the Wii U audience.
Well, this is a sales thread so who cares about people portbegging and whining? The implication of you posting what you did in here was that the game wasn't selling because "hardcore" gamers wouldn't buy another system to play it.

Edit: Hopefully Smash Bros gets people interested enough in Xenoblade that the name recognition carries over and helps Xenoblade sell. I have doubts X will reach Xenoblade's numbers though.

Xenoblade is a bigger name now and it will be treated as a big title by Nintendo so I can see quite a few Wii U owners picking it up.

I say Nintendo needs to hook a big one, something exclusive that isn't niche that would grab everyone's attention.

Monster Hunter 5 or DQ11 Wii U exclusive would be a giant boost.

1st party-wise something like a proper big budget Pokemon RPG (not necessarily a mainline GF game) would also be big. Just because Game Freak can't be arsed to make it, doesn't mean someone else can't step in and do what they won't.

You'll have Japan pretty much with these. Now what's the west going to like?

Hard to say. I mean you could try to save a canned big western game. Prey 2 is one and there's the old rumor of Human Head folks working with Nintendo at Nine Realms, but Prey is under Bethesda, let's just say Bethesda and Nintendo do not see eye-to-eye.

Star Wars 1313? Nintendo is no stranger to having Star Wars close to their chest from the Factor 5 days. But we heard they had a similar shot with that Darth Maul game by Red Fly and that never took off.

As much as I want to see multiplats, history has shown that 9/10 ports are inferior, you're not going to grab anyone with those.

Foshy

sörine;132620771 said:
I wonder if Xenoblade 3D will outsell the original?

I think it should perform at least on par. The only thing it has going against it is that it's a nu3DS exclusive, but 160k LTD doesn't seem outrageous.

sörine;132620771 said:
I wonder if Xenoblade 3D will outsell the original?

I don't kow why it would? I mean it could happen but at the moment I don't think there is any real arguments for it to happen. Wii was still pretty healthy console when Xenoblade launched and still it bombed. Actually I don't know why Nintendo greenlighted the X after Xenoblade bomba (not that I have anything against it as Xenoblade was great game but business wise it makes no sense).

Mory Dunz

I say Nintendo needs to hook a big one, something exclusive that isn't niche that would grab everyone's attention.

Monster Hunter 5 or DQ11 Wii U exclusive would be a giant boost.

1st party-wise something like a proper big budget Pokemon RPG (not necessarily a mainline GF game) would also be big. Just because Game Freak can't be arsed to make it, doesn't mean someone else can't step in and do what they won't.

You'll have Japan pretty much with these. Now what's the west going to like?

Hard to say. I mean you could try to save a canned big western game. Prey 2 is one and there's the old rumor of Human Head folks working with Nintendo at Nine Realms, but Prey is under Bethesda, let's just say Bethesda and Nintendo do not see eye-to-eye.

Star Wars 1313? Nintendo is no stranger to having Star Wars close to their chest from the Factor 5 days. But we heard they had a similar shot with that Darth Maul game by Red Fly and that never took off.

As much as I want to see multiplats, history has shown that 9/10 ports are inferior, you're not going to grab anyone with those.

I think they need a better console than a big game tbh.

A DQ11 would boost sales, but not in any meaningful way I think. And things would eventually drop back to where they were. Sub 10K.

Hopefully, they can get it right (or closer to right) next time.

horuhe

Bayo 2 is an example. I really think that if this game had been launched at the beginning of Wii U's life, it would have sold much more than these days, when Wii U was focused by Nintendo in hardcore games and all that stuff.

Xenoblade for New 3DS could outsell the original one, but possibly not this year. I don't know, but we can not assure anything now. It will be more known by that time and I think it will sell among the limitation of the userbase, but I guess X will not catch Wii sales.

Sandfox

I don't kow why it would? I mean it could happen but at the moment I don't think there is any real arguments for it to happen. Wii was still pretty healthy console when Xenoblade launched and still it bombed. Actually I don't know why Nintendo greenlighted the X after Xenoblade bomba (not that I have anything against it as Xenoblade was great game but business wise it makes no sense).

I'm guessing its because they wanted Monolith to start a new project and Xenoblade was well received by with both the media and gamers. Also, I doubt Nintendo has unrealistic expectations for this game when you take everything into consideration.

A DQ11 would boost sales, but not in any meaningful way I think. And things would eventually drop back to where they were. Sub 10K.

DQ11 isn't saving any console in Japan.

They can't just whip up a better console. And you can see obvious effort to sustain it rather than them trying to shove it under a rug to cut losses and to just wait until next time.

They should though give it only 4 years in the market bar any miracles. GBA and OG Xbox did that without any negatives. So Fall 2016 for the successor is good in my book.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Xenoblade didn't bomb, it sold well for a new franchise. 160k in Japan is not bad for a new JRPG, on a console lacking in the genre.

In the west it was received very well, and even though it didn't sell a lot, that's Nintendo's fault for releasing it in the USA with no marketing, Gamestop only, and a year later than the European version, so everyone had pirated the game before release.

You can see there is a huge fanbase for the game and room for growth, and I don't think it is terribly expensive to make.

There's been like a weekly Xenoblade thread on NeoGAF for some years now, so it's a franchise with a ton of growth potential.

Oregano

Xenoblade didn't bomb, it sold well for a new franchise. 160k in Japan is not bad for a new JRPG, on a console lacking in the genre.

In the west it was received very well, and even though it didn't sell a lot, that's Nintendo's fault for releasing it in the USA with no marketing, Gamestop only, and a year later than the European version, so everyone had pirated the game before release.

You can see there is a huge fanbase for the game and room for growth, and I don't think it is terribly expensive to make.

There's been like a weekly Xenoblade thread on NeoGAF for some years now, so it's a franchise with a ton of growth potential.

Oh it will have been expensive to make. It'll probably be Nintendo's second most expensive game ever afer Zelda Wii U. I imagine they consider all the support work Monolith does as paying their dues though, I would bet that they're also contributing to Zelda.

Mory Dunz

DQ11 isn't saving any console in Japan.
Isn't that what I was saying?

They can't just whip up a better console. And you can see obvious effort to sustain it rather than them trying to shove it under a rug to cut losses and to just wait until next time.

They should though give it only 4 years in the market bar any miracles. GBA and OG Xbox did that without any negatives. So Fall 2016 for the successor is good in my book.
Yeah, I said hopefully they can do better next time as in next gen. I wasn't implying releasing a new console next year or whatever.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In all honesty, I'm pretty sure a lot of the HD technical knowledge gained from X will help Monolith and the rest of Nintendo immensely. Considering from my understanding Destiny completely failed on the scope category, I think X will be fairly unique when it releases and will turn heads at least.

Also, why is Captain Toad going to bomb lol? It's probably a fairly cheap game to make (3D World engine already existing) and it's a kid friendly game released around Christmas. It also involves a known Mario related character (Mario is pretty much the only thing selling on Wii U atm). I think it'll do fine for itself and is one of the few retail games on Wii U I think would be profitable even with fairly low sales. Splatoon is likely going to have a huge advertising campaign imo. I think it'll be Nintendo's biggest title for the 1st half of 2015 over Yoshi, X, etc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Oh it will have been expensive to make. It'll probably be Nintendo's second most expensive game ever afer Zelda Wii U. I imagine they consider all the support work Monolith does as paying their dues though, I would bet that they're also contributing to Zelda.
I don't know about development, but before Xenoblade, Monolith did stuff like Disaster, Soma Bringer, DBZ RPG, and helped in a couple of projects. Now those were Bombas.

Xenoblade on the other hand was a project that not many people had faith on, I remember when they showed it, along Last Story and Reingleiv, nobody payed much attention to it, and instead started begging for a localization of Last Story.

FF to 2014, people are comparing X to FFXV, which I suppose Nintendo is very proud about, I think they have a winner in their hands, and if they treat the franchise with care, maybe this game won't sell a lot, but you establish the grounds for a very successful franchise in the future.

About cost, I'm talking with information extracted from my ass, but I wouldn't be surprised if X's staff is basically the same as Xenoblade with 15 or so added code monkeys to help with it. Give them 3 years of time, and you get an excellent game.

The Xenoblade engine holds very well in HD as demonstrated by Dolphin emulator, and there are not too many core changes, so I can't believe when they say it's a very expensive franchise.

I'm guessing its because they wanted Monolith to start a new project and Xenoblade was well received by with both the media and gamers. Also, I doubt Nintendo has unrealistic expectations for this game when you take everything into consideration.
Usually after game bombs next game you do is something completely different. Obviously it's a good thing though that they could continue with the X and Nintendo is probably thinking that the good reception of Xenoblade would translate to more sales with X but I just don't see it especially considering the state of WiiU. I hope I am wrong though.

Eh. Looking at Xenoblade to me it seems to be rather high budget Wii game. Gorgeous graphics and big open world. 160k for the game like that from the best selling region for the game is a bomb.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't know about development, but before Xenoblade, Monolith did stuff like Disaster, Soma Bringer, DBZ RPG, and helped in a couple of projects. Now those were Bombas.

Xenoblade on the other hand was a project that not many people had faith on, I remember when they showed it, along Last Story and Reingleiv, nobody payed much attention to it, and instead started begging for a localization of Last Story.

FF to 2014, people are comparing X to FFXV, which I suppose Nintendo is very proud about, I think they have a winner in their hands, and if they treat the franchise with care, maybe this game won't sell a lot, but you establish the grounds for a very successful franchise in the future.

About cost, I'm talking with information extracted from my ass, but I wouldn't be surprised if X's staff is basically the same as Xenoblade with 15 or so added code monkeys to help with it. Give them 3 years of time, and you get an excellent game.

The Xenoblade engine holds very well in HD as demonstrated by Dolphin emulator, and there are not too many core changes, so I can't believe when they say it's a very expensive franchise.

15 code monkeys? Yeh you're pulling things of your arse. I'm in software development and that's not how this stuff works. The scale, vehicles, etc. show in X far exceed the stuff seen in Xenoblade. I'm sure the Xenoblade engine scales fairly well, but X clearly has a lot of time and effort put into it. Also, there's nothing saying whether Xenoblade was expensive or cheap either.

Usually after game bombs next game you do is something completely different. Obviously it's a good thing though that they could continue with the X and Nintendo is probably thinking that the good reception of Xenoblade would translate to more sales with X but I just don't see it especially considering the state of WiiU. I hope I am wrong though.

Eh. Looking at Xenoblade to me it seems to be rather high budget Wii game. Gorgeous graphics and big open world. 160k for the game like that from the best selling region for the game is a bomb.

It was a good faith game imo. Sin & Punishment 2 sold 19K on Wii and still was released in the US because Nintendo felt like it. Nintendo had boat loads of cash at that time and released the game. It had great reviews, and I wouldn't be surprised if it actually sold over 160K in the US alone. The demand for the game is still ridiculous today because of its low stock. Last Story was XSeed's best selling US game iirc right? I would assume Xenoblade sold more than that.

SmokyDave

Surely Xenoblade 3DS will outsell the Wii version?

It's the first (and only, for now) title exclusively for the New 3DS. It's a very well thought of game and it'll be on the only system anyone in Japan actually buys. I'd expect it's an inevitability.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

It's the first (and only, for now) title exclusively for the New 3DS. It's a very well thought of game and it'll be on the only system anyone in Japan actually buys. I'd expect it's an inevitability.

Eventually? Probably. At the same time, even DQX 3DS managed to botch its launch enough that it's still trailing the Wii U version. It'll likely eventually pass it, but I personally thought it would have been sooner.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

A Mario themed spin-off to bomb during a holiday release schedule? Wut?

It'll exceed over 200k in Japan alone.

Kathian

Banned

Well come down to the success of NEW tbh.

Fiktion

Banned

The port looked like shit in the reveal trailer though. What was that, 10fps? I hope it's very early in development.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Xenobade sold 193.848 new and other 214.815 used until the end of 2013. Now we can stop with that 160k.

And of course 3DS version won't outsell it.

Oregano

It might do but it's still a port and it is uncommon for ports to outsell their original releases. I very much doubt it will do notably worse than the Wii version though. Also it's a very different RPG compared to what is on the 3DS which could go either way for it.

Takao

Banned
Monolith has 123 employees. That's not a huge number, but I imagine the majority of that have been working on Xenoblade for a while now.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Xenobade sold 193.848 new and other 214.815 used until the end of 2013. Now we can stop with that 160k.

And of course 3DS version won't outsell it.

This was solely in Japan? Also same question about whether the 214K is the total or just used. If it's just used, the game did remarkably well actually. Why would they not ship more new copies then o.o?

Wendler

Banned
Monolith has 123 employees. That's not a huge number, but I imagine the majority of that have been working on Xenoblade for a while now.

Not all of Monolith is working on Xenoblade, though.

And they are working on Xenoblade X for over 4 years now.

Mory Dunz

In all honesty, I'm pretty sure a lot of the HD technical knowledge gained from X will help Monolith and the rest of Nintendo immensely. Considering from my understanding Destiny completely failed on the scope category, I think X will be fairly unique when it releases and will turn heads at least.

Also, why is Captain Toad going to bomb lol? It's probably a fairly cheap game to make (3D World engine already existing) and it's a kid friendly game released around Christmas. It also involves a known Mario related character (Mario is pretty much the only thing selling on Wii U atm). I think it'll do fine for itself and is one of the few retail games on Wii U I think would be profitable even with fairly low sales. Splatoon is likely going to have a huge advertising campaign imo. I think it'll be Nintendo's biggest title for the 1st half of 2015 over Yoshi, X, etc.
You think so? I'm not really sure. I'll be cautiously optimistic.

We can hope, but this is Nintendo.

Whoa, you mean 214.815 including all (Used + New) or 193K New and 214K Used+Other?

This was solely in Japan? Also same question about whether the 214K is the total or just used. If it's just used, the game did remarkably well actually. Why would they not ship more new copies then o.o?

you guys are bad at this Media Create thing

383. [WII] Xenoblade Chronicles <RPG> (Nintendo) {2010.06.10} (¥6.800) - 18.096 / 214.815 <110,82%> (408.664)

which makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't print more copies, because.....yeah

So I have been wondering lately, If DQXI is indeed exclusive to PS4, how would Japanese gamers and fans of the series react to it? considering how popular and how they prefer handhelds over consoles there, if SQENX brought and marketed the game in the west, this could make DQ more popular in the west, but will they expense it on the game popularity in Japan?

sörine

Banned
So I have been wondering lately, If DQXI is indeed exclusive to PS4, how would Japanese gamers and fans of the series react to it? considering how popular and how they prefer handhelds over consoles there, if SQENX brought and marketed the game in the west, this could make DQ more popular in the west, but will they expense it on the game popularity in Japan?
PS4 won't do anything for DQ in the west that PS2 or DS couldn't.

Western sales on PS4 would probably offset the slightly lower sales in Japan.

Oregano

The game would have to absolutely explode im popularity in thee west to make up for the sales lost in Japan. DQIX sold 4 million in Japan and a million in the west. There's no chance a PS4 exclusive could sell 4 mil in Japan and I personally doubt it could go much above a million in the west without a titanic marketting investment.

watershed

Banned
Unless DQXI isn't due for another 2 years, it's not going to be exclusive to the PS4. If the game is released on consoles only it will be a PS3 and PS4 release.

Top Bottom