• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

I say Nintendo needs to hook a big one, something exclusive that isn't niche that would grab everyone's attention.

Monster Hunter 5 or DQ11 Wii U exclusive would be a giant boost.

1st party-wise something like a proper big budget Pokemon RPG (not necessarily a mainline GF game) would also be big. Just because Game Freak can't be arsed to make it, doesn't mean someone else can't step in and do what they won't.

You'll have Japan pretty much with these. Now what's the west going to like?

Hard to say. I mean you could try to save a canned big western game. Prey 2 is one and there's the old rumor of Human Head folks working with Nintendo at Nine Realms, but Prey is under Bethesda, let's just say Bethesda and Nintendo do not see eye-to-eye.

Star Wars 1313? Nintendo is no stranger to having Star Wars close to their chest from the Factor 5 days. But we heard they had a similar shot with that Darth Maul game by Red Fly and that never took off.

As much as I want to see multiplats, history has shown that 9/10 ports are inferior, you're not going to grab anyone with those.
what? Who wants that? I'm tired of these great third party games sitting on Nintendo's crap (tech wise not quality) hardware.

Who wants a third party to go exclusive, particularly on a weak platform?

I'm hoping for DQ series and MH something like NinoKuni happens, just port it to everything relevant.

The game would have to absolutely explode im popularity in thee west to make up for the sales lost in Japan. DQIX sold 4 million in Japan and a million in the west. There's no chance a PS4 exclusive could sell 4 mil in Japan and I personally doubt it could go much above a million in the west without a titanic marketting investment.

That's why I don't think DQXI will be exclusive to the PS4, SQENX will lose a lot of money if they did that, but everything the creator said make me believe they are aiming for it , so I really don't know

Sandfox

what? Who wants that? I'm tired of these great third party games sitting on Nintendo's crap (tech wise not quality) hardware.

I'm hoping for DQ series and MH something like NinoKuni happens, just port it to everything relevant.

You're going to be disappointed if you expect that to happen with MH.

The game would have to absolutely explode im popularity in thee west to make up for the sales lost in Japan. DQIX sold 4 million in Japan and a million in the west. There's no chance a PS4 exclusive could sell 4 mil in Japan and I personally doubt it could go much above a million in the west without a titanic marketting investment.

The game would also be a more expensive to develop as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The only relevant platform is 3DS.

Oregano

That's why I don't think DQXI will be exclusive to the PS4, SQENX will lose a lot of money if they did that, but everything the creator said make me believe they are aiming for it , so I really don't know

Oh, whether I think it's a good idea or not and whether it will happen are two different things. If it's not PS3/PS4 then it's PS4 exclusive. It won't be on 3DS, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.

Slightly lower in this case meaning a million or two? You think it could sell 3 million copies in the west to make up for it?

You think it would only sell 1 million in Japan? Is u serious, it's DQ. It will do at least 2m even if the next installment was on the Dreamcast, if not 3m in Japan alone. It's been 10 years since a traditional console DQ game came out, hype will be crazy.

Ninokuni sold +1M in the west, people are more appreciative of console rpg's now because we aren't getting a lot of them. I definitely see DQXI selling between 1.5-2m in the west.

Xianghua

Banned
by the time dq11 release on the ps4, ps4 userbase in japan will probably be at least 20+ times bigger so there's no need to worry about its userbase hurting the game's sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You think it would only sell 1 million in Japan? Is u serious, it's DQ. It will do at least 2m even if the next installment was on the Dreamcast, if not 3m in Japan alone. It's been 10 years since a traditional console DQ game came out, hype will be crazy.

Ninokuni sold +1M in the west, people are more appreciative of console rpg's now because we aren't getting a lot of them. I definitely see DQXI selling between 1.5-2m in the west.

Ahaha (for everything in this post)

by the time dq11 release on the ps4, ps4 userbase in japan will probably be at least 20+ times bigger so there's no need to worry about its userbase hurting the game's sales.

Same

Sandfox

I do not see that happening at all. I doubt SE would ever give DQXI the kind of discounts NnK got, nor would it get the Ghibli hype.

It probably won't even be 3x bigger by the time DQXI comes out.

Wendler

Banned

so the ps4 will sell 14 million units in 2 years?

let's make a bet

Orgen

Holy shit, what a funny combo

Oregano

PS4 userbase will probably not be much higher than DQIX's sales regardless of when XI launches.

I was being charitable and assuming that DQXI would sell at least two million which is still a two million sales drop from DQIX and would likely represent an attach ratio of over 50% for the PS4. The reality would probably be much grimmer.

Ninokuni is a Studio Ghibli game and still only managed to match DQIX. Why would DQXI suddenly outsell both of them by a margin of at least 50%?

Bruno MB

Ahaha (for everything in this post)

That's been my reaction to a lots of comments on Media Create sales threads during these last days. I thought the craziness would stop once we got new numbers to comment but it seems it continues from the previous thread.

Exile20

Stay tired my friend.

Anyway I agree that mh4 and dq11 would be awesome on the wiiu.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What are the 13 total hw sales for wiiu and 3ds from october to december? Ir people foreseeing bigger results this year? I think the new 3ds will help while no new wiiu buodle will hurt

That's been my reaction to a lots of comments on Media Create sales threads during these last days. I thought the craziness would stop once we got new numbers to comment but it seems it continues from the previous thread.

MC guru, do you have an answer to my previous post?

udivision

Why do people expect Dragon Quest to do more outside of Japan on PS4 than PS2?

Because the hype is real.
4 The Players.
Things are different now.
War has changed.

This is a franchise that Nintendo had to market in the west, because Square Enix wasn't confident in it or w/e. This obviously means the next installment will get a huge marketing push and sell gang busters because... well... the reasons mentioned above.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2014.10.09}

[3DS] Majin Bone: Jikan to Kuukan no Majin <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[3DS] Choko Inu no Chokotto Fushigi na Monogatari: Chocolate Hime to Mahou no Recipe <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.184)

[PSV] Flowers <ADV> (Prototype) (¥5.184)
[PSV] Hideboh Tap Dance Hero <ACT> (Dorart) (¥5.184)
[PSV] FIFA 15 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.940)

[PSP] Flowers <ADV> (Prototype) (¥5.184)

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Glacier White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥43.178)
[PS4] Driveclub <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥6.372)
[PS4] FIFA 15 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.884)
[PS4] FIFA 15 (Ultimate team Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.964)

[XB1] Project Spark: Starter Pack <SLG> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥4.212)
[XB1] FIFA 15 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.884)
[XB1] FIFA 15 (Ultimate team Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.964)

[PS3] FIFA 15 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.884)
[PS3] FIFA 15 (Ultimate team Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.964)
[PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe [PlayStation 3 the Best] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.800)
[PS3] Tales of Xillia [PlayStation 3 the Best] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 [PlayStation 3 the Best] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia [PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Tales of Graces f [PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)

[360] FIFA 15 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.884)

{2014.10.11}

[3DS] New Nintendo 3DS LL Metallic Black <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥20.304)
[3DS] New Nintendo 3DS LL Metallic Blue <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥20.304)
[3DS] New Nintendo 3DS Black <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥17.280)
[3DS] New Nintendo 3DS White <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥17.280)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (e-Capcom Limited Edition) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥9.709)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (New Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Pack) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥27.648)

I wonder how Xenoblade is going to do. Nintendo will essentially launch the first JRPG on the system with that ... I'm expecting it to be closer to its Wii numbers than any of the other Wii U games.

I would expect it does better and hope it does since its more known now. You hear that wiiU owners. Even if you're using your WiiU as a doorstop buy that game. Best thing Nintendo has put out in a while.

418. [PS3] Bayonetta <ACT> (Sega) {2009.10.29} (¥7.980) - 17.103 / 245.399 <114,71%> (459.322)

352. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2008.01.31} (¥8.390) - 19.670 / 378.925 <117,90%> (700.315)

Xianghua

Banned
Who said PS4 will sell even half of 14M in Japan?

Even the PS3 sold 10m in Japan, there is no reason why PS4 can't reach 15m. Considering:

1. Wii U is no Wii this time around, stealing Sony's console hardware sales. PS4 is the only player in town, so Japan has no other choice. Full Japanese support.

2. The Western games adoption by Japanese is getting bigger and warmer, see how well GTA, Call of Duty, Destiny, etc are selling in Japan. Xbone is no X360 this time around, so PS4 is getting full western support unlike the PS3. PS4 being huge in Western countries will be translated to the Japanese market in a year or two. This gen will be named as the Japanese gamers warming up to Western games gen.

3. The tag team of Vita and PS4 are working far better than Vita and PS3. Games designed for the Vita will be ported to PS4 and vice versa. Easy as a click of a button.

4. You don't know what Sony and others have in store for PS4 yet.

5. The lifecycle of PS4 will be longer than PS3.

For all these reasons, seeing how PS3 can sell 10m in Japan. 15m for PS4 is being conservative.

I was being charitable and assuming that DQXI would sell at least two million which is still a two million sales drop from DQIX and would likely represent an attach ratio of over 50% for the PS4. The reality would probably be much grimmer.

Ninokuni is a Studio Ghibli game and still only managed to match DQIX. Why would DQXI suddenly outsell both of them by a margin of at least 50%?

DQXI wouldn't sell lower than 3m on PS4, it hasn't sold that low in 20 years, it's gonna be closer to 4m. The game will create a huge chunk of the PS4 install base in Japan. In the West, SE will put more marketing bucks on their next prime console game than on a handheld game or Bamco putting on NNK, that game only had word of mouth behind it.

Do you see the game coming out on 3DS in the future(+2016) when it's likely been replaced by that time?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Clearly many juniors need to do a lot more homework with Japanese sales. 15m for PS4 in Japan. Even blind Sony fanboys don't dream that.

And 4M for DQXI being a PS4 exclusive. Give me a break.

Sandfox

DQXI wouldn't sell lower than 3m on PS4, it hasn't sold that low in 20 years, it's gonna be closer to 4m. The game will create a huge chunk of the PS4 install base in Japan. In the West, SE will put more marketing bucks on their next prime console game than on a handheld game or Bamco putting on NNK, that game only had word of mouth behind it.

You're expecting DQXI to sell ~2 million PS4s and then have near perfect attach rate? DQ hasn't sold that low in 20 years, but its also been on platforms that were doing way better than the PS4. Also, there is no reason to believe that SE will spend that kind of money on DQ in the west.

Even the PS3 sold 10m in Japan, there is no reason why PS4 can't reach 15m. Considering:

1. Wii U is no Wii this time around, stealing Sony's console hardware sales. PS4 is the only player in town, so Japan has no other choice. Full Japanese support.

2. The Western games adoption by Japanese is getting bigger and warmer, see how well GTA, Call of Duty, Destiny, etc are selling in Japan. Xbone is no X360 this time around, so PS4 is getting full western support unlike the PS3. PS4 being huge in Western countries will be translated to the Japanese market in a year or two. This gen will be named as the Japanese gamers warming up to Western games gen.

3. The tag team of Vita and PS4 are working far better than Vita and PS3. Games designed for the Vita will be ported to PS4 and vice versa. Easy as a click of a button.

For all these reasons, seeing how PS3 can sell 10m in Japan. 15m for PS4 is being conservative.

No offense, but this reads like a parody.

Fiktion

Banned
15m for PS4 is being conservative.
tumblr_inline_ncsnpuKKoe1sv5qzh.gif

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There is no way famitsu won't give an early report next Tuesday. They were late with Smash (since Nintendo gave the numbers first) and did it with The One but there is no excuse this time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Saying "15 m for PS4 is being conservative" is like saying "Thinking Brasil can't tie with Germany is being pessimistic" when it was 5-0 after the first half.

You're expecting DQXI to sell ~2 million PS4s and then have near perfect attach rate? Also, there is no reason to believe that SE will spend that kind of money on DQ in the west.

There'd be already a large install base in Japan by the time the game has come out, there'll have been price cuts, a Slim model, FFXV, Project Morpheus(you know Japan will love it). But then again, DQXI itself will create a large chunk of the PS4 install base, if there ever was a system seller, it's that game. Similarly to other high profile SE games being announced and the time it takes for them to come out, I don't see the game coming out within 3 years.

Nintendo's just gonna port all the major and expensive games to whatever their next console is anyway. Remastered edition and all that.

Remember that Smash 6 trademark? (If that isn't an arcade port of course)

Funny how PS4 has full Japanese support when third parties top IPs are mainly on a Nintendo system.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

You sound like someone that rhymes with Pike O Dantis before the ps 4 launched and reality hit him like a ton of bricks

Sandfox

There'd be already a large install base in Japan by the time the game has come out, there'll have been price cuts, a Slim model, FFXV, Project Morpheus(you know Japan will love it). But then again, DQXI itself will create a large chunk of the PS4 install base, if there ever was a system seller, it's that game. Similarly to other high profile SE games being announced and the time it takes for them to come out, I don't see the game coming out within 3 years.

You're assuming that the PS4 is going to take off and DQ will do crazy things, but I just don't see it happening.

Verendus

Banned
I think, by the time DQXI releases, PS4 will likely have an install base between 3-4 million in Japan. It's doing pretty pathetically at the moment though.

Oregano

Do you see the game coming out on 3DS in the future(+2016) when it's likely been replaced by that time?

When is the last time a console game not published by Nintendo has sold 3 million, or even 2.5 million? I would say two million but FFXIII migt have crawled past there in the last five years.

I don't think it's going to come out on 3DS but the 3DS will probably be in a better place in 2016 than the PS4 will be even if a successor is out.

Mory Dunz

Have we found the PS4's misterxmedia???
Sound the alarms.

I think, by the time DQXI releases, PS4 will likely have an install base between 3-4 million in Japan. It's doing pretty pathetically at the moment though.
Wait, this is a joke too right? Unless dragon quest is coming later than I thought...

Top Bottom