• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

sörine

Banned
You think it would only sell 1 million in Japan? Is u serious, it's DQ. It will do at least 2m even if the next installment was on the Dreamcast, if not 3m in Japan alone. It's been 10 years since a traditional console DQ game came out, hype will be crazy.

Ninokuni sold +1M in the west, people are more appreciative of console rpg's now because we aren't getting a lot of them. I definitely see DQXI selling between 1.5-2m in the west.
Ni No Kuni shipped ~900k in the west. Less than either DQVIII or DQIX did.

Sandfox

I think, by the time DQXI releases, PS4 will likely have an install base between 3-4 million in Japan. It's doing pretty pathetically at the moment though.

I don't think FF,KH,Tales, DQH, and Yakuza are going to bring the PS4 that high. If by some chance that did happen DQXI would still have to sell to basically every PS4 owner to put up those kind of numbers.

Lumyst

Nintendo failed to make Wii U an attractive product for Bayonetta 2 audience. Isn't this the reason Bayonetta 360 sales are better then Bayonetta 2 sales?

Bayo 2 is a great addition to Wii U library, but potential customers (even "hardcore gamers") need to be disposed to play *everything* just to find a handful of appealing exclusive games to justify the purchase of a Wii U.

Oh I totally agree with that, they even failed to retain their hardcore customers from the GameCube era. Like, I recently saw how Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil, etc. performed respectably even though the GameCube hardware sales were low compared to PS2, meaning that once upon a time, Nintendo appealed to people who liked those kinds of games and maybe Nintendo once would have had an audience for a game such as Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade X, even if the overall hardware sales were low. Their software output, brand, whatever, since then, seems to have alienated users who would have been interested.

I hope they take the sales performance of, yet heated passion about, Bayonetta 2 to mean they need to continue working on regaining their appeal to certain core gamers. At the very least, Bayonetta 2 shows that Nintendo can turn heads with the right software, which is much better than having no reaction at all, or not having Nintendo's brand in peoples' thoughts at all. At least there's a group of gamers who have some kind of reaction towards Nintendo (albeit heated), that's better than how games such as Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, etc. are garnering no reaction at all from those games' intended audience. In other words, at least they found a game that could turn somebody's head, haha

I think, by the time DQXI releases, PS4 will likely have an install base between 3-4 million in Japan. It's doing pretty pathetically at the moment though.

Wait DQ11 is coming late 2016 right. 3-4 million by then sounds kind of bad. Thats around 1.5 million in 2015/2016 on the top end. I'm also assuming FFXV will be out by then.

Road

That's been my reaction to a lots of comments on Media Create sales threads during these last days. I thought the craziness would stop once we got new numbers to comment but it seems it continues from the previous thread.

"MH4G exclusive for Vita any minute now"
"P5 exclusive for 3DS any minute now"
"DQXI exclusive for PS4 any minute now"

Repeat ad nauseam

You're assuming that the PS4 is going to take off and DQ will do crazy things, but I just don't see it happening.

There's a lot of intent to bring DQ back to a Playstation console again. SE also wants to bring DQX to PS4. I think they're waiting how DQ Heroes will do first before greenlighting anything DQXI related. If they're not satisfied with the sales, they'll probably put it on the 4DS or something.

When is the last time a console game not published by Nintendo has sold 3 million, or even 2.5 million? I would say two million but FFXIII migt have crawled past there in the last five years.

I don't think it's going to come out on 3DS but the 3DS will probably be in a better place in 2016 than the PS4 will be even if a successor is out.

DQVIII from a decade ago? :p

Oregano

There's a lot of intent to bring DQ back to a Playstation console again. SE also wants to bring DQX to PS4. I think they're waiting how DQ Heroes will do first before greenlighting anything DQXI related. If they're not satisfied with the sales, they'll probably put it on the 4DS or something.

DQVIII from a decade ago? :p

So the last one was a decade ago on a massively popular piece of hardware(second only to DS right?) and you think PS4(less popular than the Gamecube) will be able to match that or even exceed it? That is like the opposite of logical...

So the last one was a decade ago on a massively popular piece of hardware(second only to DS right?) and you think PS4(less popular than the Gamecube) will be able to match that or even exceed it? That is like the opposite of logical...

Will the PS4 still stay less popular than the Gamecube after the announcement and release of DQXI? Not to mention all of the price cuts, a Slim model, FFXV, Project Morpheus and a whole lot more before it?

sörine

Banned
Will the PS4 still stay less popular than the Gamecube after the announcement and release of DQXI? Not to mention all of the price cuts, a Slim model, FFXV, Project Morpheus and a whole lot more before it?
Doesn't matter, it'll stay less popular than 3DS.

Oregano

Probably not but it is never going to be a PS2. I don't see why Morpheus is going to be big either. It will be an expensive peripheral with limited software support.

Jamix012

Weird parallel to draw. Yes with DQXI it would almost certainly outdo the 'cube but uh...there are still more popular platforms to work with.

by the time dq11 release on the ps4, ps4 userbase in japan will probably be at least 20+ times bigger so there's no need to worry about its userbase hurting the game's sales.

TWENTY. TIMES. BIGGER. By mid-late 2016 the PS4 will have sold 15 million+ units in Japan only. You heard it here first.

Oregano

Weird parallel to draw. Yes with DQXI it would almost certainly outdo the 'cube but uh...there are still more popular platforms to work with.

To be fair I drew the parallel but my point was more along the lines of "Would DQVIII have sold as well if it was a Gamecube game?" and the answer is obviously no so what magical property does the PS4 have that would make it plausible?
A Sony logo doesn't count.

Probably not but it is never going to be a PS2. I don't see why Morpheus is going to be big either. It will be an expensive peripheral with limited software support.

I'm anticipating that Morpheus will be the next peripheral to sell consoles like the Wiimote and Kinect. Think I read people were constantly asking for a Summer Lesson presentation at TGS. Yoshida said the HMD won't be as expensive as people think.

PS4 will outdo the Cube even without DQXI.

Jamix012

It's likely but I wouldn't put any money on it. I think we've yet to see the bottom of the decline in the dedicated Japanese console market and without DQXI that general market decline will hit the PS4 harder than many are speculating, especially once 2016 arrives.

I'm anticipating that Morpheus will be the next peripheral to sell consoles like the Wiimote and Kinect. Think I read people were constantly asking for a Summer Lesson presentation at TGS. Yoshida said the HMD won't be as expensive as people think.

Eh. While I don't have any facts to back me up my gut feeling is that Morpheus will probably sell about the same as the Xbox One.

Oregano

DQXI announcement thread is going to be messed up, isn't it? People arguing over this game already in 2014.

We already know it's a PS4 game. It won't be as bad as the DQIX thread.

The Wiimote isn't a peripheral and the Kinect sure sold a lot of consoles in Japan. Morpheus also has the benefit of following up Sony's massively successful Playstation Movie device I guess.

Wait DQ11 is coming late 2016 right. 3-4 million by then sounds kind of bad. Thats around 1.5 million in 2015/2016 on the top end. I'm also assuming FFXV will be out by then.
Well, in case you don't know, PS3 peaked at 1.7 million in 2009 (Slim, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5 and Yakuza 3).

sense

i don't think square is sitting on their hands waiting to see how heroes does to figure out what platform to work on. it has most likely been decided. i personally feel they will see how heroes does to see if they want to drop ps3 or not. if ps3 sales are significantly higher than ps4 then they will release on that platform as well. they are going to try their best to migrate the audience to ps4 though. streaming to 4ds or w.e it ends up being called is also likely i guess since they tested with dqx on 3ds but who knows.

Celine

sörine;132640253 said:
Ni No Kuni shipped ~900k in the west. Less than either DQVIII or DQIX did.
DQVIII shipped 990K abroad as December 2006 (4,67M-3,68M).
It would eventually ship 4.9M units worldwide but I don't know the split.

DQIX shipped 1,11M abroad as December 2013.

hongcha

i don't think square is sitting on their hands waiting to see how heroes does to figure out what platform to work on. it has most likely been decided. i personally feel they will see how heroes does to see if they want to drop ps3 or not. if ps3 sales are significantly higher than ps4 then they will release on that platform as well. they are going to try their best to migrate the audience to ps4 though. streaming to 4ds or w.e it ends up being called is also likely i guess since they tested with dqx on 3ds but who knows.

I agree with all of this, though I think the streaming version would more likely be on the 3ds rather than the 4ds, due to the install base and the fact they've already got DQX running on it (albeit poorly, but whatever).

Bruno MB

What are the 13 total sw sales for wiiu and 3ds from october to december? Ir people foreseeing bigger results this year? I think the new 3ds will help while no new wiiu buodle will hurt

Software Sales: 2013.09.30 - 2013.12.29

Nintendo 3DS - 10.144.129

Top 5 best-selling games

01. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) {2013.10.12} - 3.841.307
02. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) - 971.960
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 709.051
04. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} (¥4.800) - 216.931
05. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980) - 195.888

Nintendo Wii U - 1.836.731

Top 5 best-selling games

01. [WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 502.410
02. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 376.586
03. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 374.586
04. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 85.926
05. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥3.990) - 69.836

Road

DQVIII shipped 900K abroad as December 2006 (4,67M-3,68M).
It would eventually ship 4.9M units worldwide but I don't know the split.

DQIX shipped 1,11M abroad as December 2013.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201308/22038720.html

DQVIII: 3.8m in Japan / 4.9m worldwide

DQIX: 4.4m in Japan / 5.5m worldwide

When DQ Heroes was announced, Square Enix changed the DQVIII PR number to approximately 5 million worldwide, but probably just to make it look better.

-----------

thelegendofheroeskisexmj1j.png

supersmashbros.sales2vpj2z.png

3dstopsoftwaresales20hcji8.png

---------------------

Dengeki Fiscal Year 2014 First Half: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/936/936566/

Software: 90 billion yen (-6.3%)
Hardware: 45.6 billion yen (-15.7%)

First Half total:

2012: 175.9 billion yen
2013: 154.4 billion yen
2014: 135.6 billion yen

It's actually been 7 years of decline, but I don't have the other years numbers.

Physical sales only.

Arkam

every week I read the comments in these sales threads and see remarks about games having 'disappointing' sales.

What are you people basing these assessments off of? Do you have the sales projections from the dev/pub or do you have the games budget? Or any indicator of break even point?

Or are you simply comparing apples to oranges and calling it a day?

100% serious, cuz i would love this insider info

LOCK

Thanks sales-GAF, the last few pages have been very entertaining.

I think a clarifying statement would be, everyone would love to see a console sell 15m in Japan, but realistically at the current pace no console will sell half of that.

Actually all consoles added together probably won't sell near 10m before Nintendo releases a new console.

Mory Dunz

every week I read the comments in these sales threads and see remarks about games having 'disappointing' sales.

What are you people basing these assessments off of? Do you have the sales projections from the dev/pub or do you have the games budget? Or any indicator of break even point?

Or are you simply comparing apples to oranges and calling it a day?

100% serious, cuz i would love this insider info

Um....yes.
Sometimes people have both even.

Post backfire?

Xianghua

Banned
Thanks sales-GAF, the last few pages have been very entertaining.

I think a clarifying statement would be, everyone would love to see a console sell 15m in Japan, but realistically at the current pace no console will sell half of that.

Actually all consoles added together probably won't sell near 10m before Nintendo releases a new console.

I think you are putting too much faith in Nintendo the Wii U maker and not enough faith in Sony the PS4 maker.

Sandfox

I think you are putting too much faith in Nintendo the Wii U maker and not enough faith in Sony the PS2 maker.

What about Sony the PS3/Vita maker? If you want to go back to the PS2 you might as well bring up Nintendo's older platforms as well.

Xianghua

Banned
What about Sony the PS3/Vita maker? If you want to go back to the PS2 you might as well bring up Nintendo's older platforms as well.

I meant PS4 for Sony since that's their newest systems. PS4 is so successful in the West so Japan will soon follow that.

I'm lazy so I'm not doing it but the easiest way to show the decline in PS home consoles would be to show launch aligned LTD's for PS2, PS3, and PS4

PS4 is tracking far behind the PS3 in the same timeframe and I'm sure PS3 was tracking far behind PS2 in the same time frame

zashga

This DQ11 discussion really depresses me. It's likely that there won't be any good home for the game in 2016. 3DS will be well past its prime, Vita will probably be doing no better than it is now, and the WiiU and PS4 are both abject failures in Japan. Where can Square Enix really go, aside from smart phones? Betting their fortunes on a miraculous PS4 turnaround in Japan seems... unwise.

Personally, I would've thought DQ11 was a lock on 3DS, but that seems less likely the longer the wait drags on.

Arkam

Um....yes.
Sometimes people have both even.

Post backfire?

So they just dont share the data when they post "bomba" "Fail" "disappointed" etc? Most of the logic I see is people comparing to previous entries in a series. Or my other favorite comparing against a completely different game.

Mory Dunz

So they just dont share the data when they post "bomba" "Fail" "disappointed" etc? Most of the logic I see is people comparing to previous entries in a series. Or my other favorite comparing against a completely different game.

It depends on the game I guess. For some we hear the publishers LTD targets and sometimes their budgets for the game.

...Is this about Bayo2? Sheesh, I hope not.

watershed

Banned
This thread got pretty good the last few pages.

I didn't realize how well Smash4 is selling on the 3ds. I knew it was doing well but I didn't know it was outperforming Brawl. Nintendo made the right call to make Smash4 for both the 3ds and WiiU.

sense

This DQ11 discussion really depresses me. It's likely that there won't be any good home for the game in 2016. 3DS will be well past its prime, Vita will probably be doing no better than it is now, and the WiiU and PS4 are both abject failures in Japan. Where can Square Enix really go, aside from smart phones? Betting their fortunes on a miraculous PS4 turnaround in Japan seems... unwise.

Personally, I would've thought DQ11 was a lock on 3DS, but that seems less likely the longer the wait drags on.

I don't get it. why are so many in here totally given up on the home console market? there is obviously a reason ps4 is not doing well and that is no real exclusive game that the japanese audience like which will get them to make that big investment. the sales are pathetic right now and why would people go out and buy a console if they don't have to? if 2015 comes and goes with the ps4 not getting meaningful sales then we can declare the home console market dead. 2016 is probably when we will start seeing ps4 only games on a regular basis.

anywhere between 1.5-2m is meaningful for 2015 before someone asks and this is mostly based on ffxv hitting late 2015.

Arkam

It depends on the game I guess. For some we hear the publishers LTD targets and sometimes their budgets for the game.

...Is this about Bayo2? Sheesh, I hope not.

No Game in particular and post was a long time coming. Maybe some posters actually have the data to back up their quick judgments (which should be added to OP) but most cleary have a predefined number (usually arbitrary). Yea maybe trends matter year over year for some franchises... but most read way into that even.

Like lets take the example you provided, Bayonetta 2. What is the total financial investment in the product and what are their internal projections? Is it Nintendo who is losing the money if it doesnt break even or iss it Platinum? If its Nintendo was that anticipated in exchange for potential growth of the user base? If so what amount of growth is was projected? What is the projected revenue by region?

Facts and context matter. Without them data is just like paint. You can make any kind of picture you want.

Top Bottom