• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

casiopao

Just throwing this out there:

If Level5 is making a sequel to Ninokuni, where do you think they would put it? On the 3DS for the Japanese market? On the PS4 for the international market? Make two versions again?

Two version I guess? The first version for 3ds market in Japan and then the PS4/PS3 version for international market?

test_account

XP-39C²
LBX on PSV was a way to migrate LBX userbase on PSV. It bombed hard, while the IP was selling remarkably well on 3DS. LBX on PSV was not, of course, an attempt in supporting the platform outside this IP.

If LBX on PSV had sold 150k units, I'm sure Level-5 would have brought more of the same IP on PSV.
Yeah, they probably tried to test the waters with that Vita version indeed. The reason why i dont think it would have mattered in the long run even if the Vita version sold 150k is based on what the 3DS version sold, and despite those sales, the franchise today is (presumably) dead. And also looking at the 3DS sales, they could see that they could get just as good sales, and most likely even much better. You've probably heard people say something like "i wonder why (insert company here) didnt support platform X better based on what Game Y sold". Basically that situation, even if a game sells decent/good on one platform, it doesnt always get more future support because another platform might be a better choice.

IIRC, the price started collapsing after holidays; also, the price usually does not decrease by 50% or more in a week or so; retailers slash prices gradually, in particular under holidays. Ni no Kuni sold a lot at full price, and still a lot at reduced price.
Its possible. I mean to remember seeing some very quick pricedrops because the game had the book included, so it was a relatively large item/SKU that took up store space. But it might have been anecdotal (only a few stores that dropped the price more quickly).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

If Level5 is making a sequel to Ninokuni, where do you think they would put it? On the 3DS for the Japanese market? On the PS4 for the international market? Make two versions again?

I'd say two versions again. Maybe they could release the portable version in the West too, this time >_>

Darius

Banned
Could be ps3/4 to not be overshadowed by YW

Level5 shouldn´t have released Youkai Watch for 3DS, because it would be overshadowed by Pokemon, oh wait... The popularity of their past IPs and the recent popularity of Youkai Watch would actually improve its selling potential in my opinion, the audience for similar themed games is practically already there.

I think Hino missed quite an opportunity with not localizing the NDS version of Ninokuni. The Japanese version was held back by how expensive and illogically unportable it was for a handheld game due to the book. Simple changes like scrapping the necessity of the book would have improved its marketability a lot not only for a Western release but also Japan. It´s telling that it still easily outsold the PS3 version in Japan by quite a big margin.

How is he right? MH3 Wii and DQIX DS announcements had epic meltdowns.
It's 2014?

Also, I'm sure there'll be meltdowns. There are always meltdowns for these sorts of platform announcements. The post I was replying to talked about crashing gaf.
Dude are you new to gaf or something?, almost every kinda big announcement crashes gaf, hell most nonevents crash it too lol
Events tend to, and the slew of announcements that come with them. And the extra site traffic/lurkers/viewers because of those events.

But the solitary announcement of DQXI's platform. Eh, I just don't see it being so controversial, or enough people caring, as to cause the site to down.
It seems to pop up in conversation in these threads a lot. But outside of them? I don't really see anyone particularly concerned.

Spiegel

The only game after W Super was a spinoff with a different gameplay though and by then the anime already past its prime. When the PSV version launched the IP was still quite healthy, the sales of the PSP version launched in the same day and of DanballSenki Baku Boost on 3DS in the same year were still good. PSV just hasn´t a very wide userbase, no point in making up excuses for its very own shortcomings.

PSV does not have a healthy enviroment for games aimed primarily to kids, and it was in a much worse position 2 years ago when LB2 launched. 3DS is the perfect platform for this and L5 should continue milking the audience.

Knowing this, we can also see the decline between LB1 and LB2 on PSP and the decline between the expanded ports on 3DS. My point is that the franchise was on its way out and there was little potential audience that could have moved to Vita, as the low sales of the second game on 3DS proved compared to the first one.

And now I am going to stop talking about LB because just like the general public and Level 5, I really don't care about the games

Kandinsky

It's 2014?

Also, I'm sure there'll be meltdowns. There are always meltdowns for these sorts of platform announcements. The post I was replying to talked about crashing gaf.

Dude are you new to gaf or something?, almost every kinda big announcement crashes gaf, hell most nonevents crash it too lol

do you alway mean matching the oct-dec YtD, right? matching the entire YTD is simply impossible, that would mean selling more than 3 millions units in three months ;p

no, I mean matching YTD, not just 3 months

actually 3DS sold in 2014 around 1,5mln units less than in the same period of 2013
last year at this time MH4 was released, than it came Pokemon X/Y, but the holiday season was not amazing as we could have expected.
3DS sold around 1,5mln units in September and October, but in November just 300k

this year MH4G + Pokemon remake + new models are coming, than December has Final Fantasy and probably new 3DS will be the hot product for winter holidays, with YW2, Smash 3DS, MH4G and Pokemon helping hw sales

I know it's difficult, but it might be possible after new 3DS has been announced.

Takao

Banned
LBX Wars being revealed as a 3DS exclusive early last year tells me Level-5 had finally made up their mind. Unfortunately for LBX, the reboot failed.

Preorders only went up last night and it isn't releasing for another 5 months, so it will probably be a while.

Will Senran Kagura save PS4, or will PS4 save Senran Kagura?
life saves all
But mess at SIX months of pre-order (it's a late March release). :lol

They know they are in danger.

It will be interesting to watch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I cant see the n3ds being able to sell 3m in three months at all. It would be a ds era result
for lbx, they chose the wrong initial console in terms of demographic, they exagerated the iteration and they wrongly managed the transition being late to 3ds wastiog time with the vita version

Takao

Banned
No, PSP wasn't a bad platform for LBX. The first release is still the best-selling entry. It just came a little too late into its life (2011) and Level-5's greed killed it.

Darius

Banned

actually 3DS sold in 2014 around 1,5mln units less than in the same period of 2013
last year at this time MH4 was released, than it came Pokemon X/Y, but the holiday season was not amazing as we could have expected.
3DS sold around 1,5mln units in September and October, but in November just 300k

this year MH4G + Pokemon remake + new models are coming, than December has Final Fantasy and probably new 3DS will be the hot product for winter holidays, with YW2, Smash 3DS, MH4G and Pokemon helping hw sales

I know it's difficult, but it might be possible after new 3DS has been announced.

To achieve this it would need to sell ~3.3million units in less than three months, that is more than PSVs current lifetime sales.

To achieve this it would need to sell ~3.3million units in less than three months, that is more than PSVs current lifetime sales.

To put it another way, the DS has never had any three consecutive months totaled at 3m.
I do think that 3DS will have a better year end however

sörine

Banned

Android and iOS for both markets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To put it another way, the DS has never had any three consecutive months totaled at 3m.
I do think that 3DS will have a better year end however

Yes, could be a better year end, while a better YtD is simply something never done before, so impossible for a good but not record setting console such the 3ds

Salex_

Looking at some of the Japan LTDs for a few publishers. Why is Sony so bad at handling most of their IPs? Some quick examples:

Parappa The Rapper sold 1.2m and UmJammer Lammy (the spin-off) sold 400k and Parappa The Rapper 2 dived down to 98k. Geez.

Arc the Lad went from 497k --> 817k --> 186k. I see the first 3 games all had different developers. What happened?

Mory Dunz

DQ won't crash GAF. Unless it was like a mobile exclusive pay to win or something, heh.

I hope people aren't really overestiming n3DS sales. Because then no matter what the sales will be disappointing. And we'll get some threads.

Is it even actually possible anymore with Ghibli closed down (or on hiatus)?

Level5 were recruiting for a big project and considering they have always had lots of projects yet this year only just YokaiWatch2 and Wonderflick make me think it's (or something else) a PS4 game.

Sony also had Level5 on their list of companies making PS4 game last year :)

wonderflick is coming to ps4 .

Software sales 26 weeks into this FY (Dengeki)

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| System |          FY14 H1           |          FY13 H1           | Change  |
|        | (2014.03.31 to 2014.09.28) | (2013.04.01 to 2013.09.29) |         |
| 3DS    | 8.210.707                  | 9.036.244                  | -9.1%   |
| PS3    | 2.679.494                  | 4.592.444                  | -41.7%  |
| Vita   | 2.619.250                  | 1.293.555                  | +102.5% |
| Wii U  | 1.456.648                  | 640.582                    | +127.4% |
| PS4    | 665.600                    | -                          | -       |
| PSP    | 480.479                    | 1.934.313                  | -75.2%  |
| X360   | 71.459                     | 204.839                    | -65.1%  |
| XB1    | 65.400                     | -                          | -       |
| Wii    | -                          | 517.443                    | -       |
| DS     | -                          | 228.735                    | -       |
| Total  | 16.249.037                 | 18.448.155                 | -11.9%  |

- Dengeki stopped reporting Wii & DS software and hardware earlier this year, so no FY14 numbers.
- 3DS software slightly down compared to FY13 H1, probably because MH4 was already out by this point in FY13 H1.
- Huge decline in PS3 & PSP software sales.
- Vita & Wii U software sales up significantly compared to FY13 H1.

man that 2013 for vita was fucking terrible. only joined this year so didn't know of the wonders of these charts before that

Bitanator

What does the Vita have for the holiday season this year to mitigate the shit years of past? That coupled by demand for the New 3DS, this holiday will be fun to watch

Takao

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking Phantasy Star Nova is the higest profile Vita exclusive game so far?

In terms of the Japanese market and based on the performance of previous PS games, it could be.

Interest seems to be low, though. Maybe that's due to people getting their fill with PSO2 (which is a continually updated game already on Vita) or Sega not doing a great job handling the game. Maybe things will pick up as the release draws closer.

Spiegel

Am I wrong in thinking Phantasy Star Nova is the higest profile Vita exclusive game so far?

In theory, Phantasy Star Portable 3 could be the biggest Vita game if we go by Vita franchises previously released on PSP.

I'm not sure that Nova is going to fill in for Phantasy Star Portable 3, though. And having the full PSO2 F2P (with 1M+ downloads already iirc) may be hurting its chances.

EDIT

Well, I basically repeated what Takao said.

Oregano

Yeah I never thought about the effect of PSO2. It does seem like there is less hype compared God Eater last year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

No way it matches 2013 LTD but matching last year's quarter is possible. There are far more advantages this time

Q4 2013
new releases
Pokemon X / Y - October
Puzzle & Dragons Z - December
long runners
Monster Hunter 4 - September

Q4 2014
new releases
new 3DS LL - October
new 3DS - October
Monster Hunter 4 - October
Pokemon OR / AS - November
long runners
Super Smash Bros. - September
Yo-kai Watch 2 - July

What will make the difference are the longrunners. Yo-kai Watch 2 looks unstoppable (unlike what i was expecting) and Smash is a wild card for hw since there are people holding back a 3DS purchase. Both look more promising from last September's MH4 that had lost most of its power when holiday season started.

Three factors, in my opinion, will drive 3DS hw sales. The revisions, SSB and YW2; New 3DS and New 3DS XL will incentivize previous owners to update; SSB is a game that might be able to attract a new userbase (typically on home consoles), and the same is true for YW2, attracting more and more kids, in particular when the movie will be out (and it will be huge).

mao2

But mess at SIX months of pre-order (it's a late March release). :lol

They know they are in danger.

It will be interesting to watch.
You seem... desperate. :) Anyway, no I don't think they're in danger because pre-orders for both Shinovi Versus and Deep Crimson started early too.

Shinovi Versus' pre-order began in October 2012 and it was released on February 28, 2013 (about 5 months apart). Deep Crimson's pre-order began in February 2013 and it was released on August 7, 2013 (about 6 months apart).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Edit fail. If it had done good enough worldwide I doubt you would see a PS3 version.
I think we would have seen a PS3 version no matter what, the budget for the SAO games is rising and Bamco already has a bunch of PS3/PSV in their pipeline.

Spiegel

Edit fail. If it had done good enough worldwide I doubt you would see a PS3 version.

The decision of making a PS3/PSV game was surely made before the western release if it is getting released next year, and the japanese sales are great.

Also, hard to say what would be considered good sales for a full priced game released only on digital.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS3/PSV releases happen in Japan because of declining PS3 software sales, not the opposite. Except for that history has shown multiple times that multi-releases between Sony platforms split the userbase and don't expand it. Budget would be an important factor if we saw a PS4 version.

SAO is a portable franchise, I don't remember many examples going from PSV to PSV/PS3 but numerous going from PS3 to PS3/PSV. If BN was looking only in Japan things wouldn't change since previous PSV entry did good numbers.

Spiegel

PS3/PSV releases happen in Japan because of declining PS3 software sales, not the opposite. Except for that history has shown multiple times that multi-releases between Sony platforms split the userbase and don't expand it. Budget would be an important factor if we saw a PS4 version.

SAO is a portable franchise, I don't remember many examples going from PSV to PSV/PS3 but numerous going from PS3 to PS3/PSV. If BN was looking only in Japan things wouldn't change since previous PSV entry did good numbers.

You can't say SAO is a portable franchise when the franchise consists on one game and the same game with expanded content. The SAO gaming franchise has little history.

I would say they feel SAO has now a big enough western following and they plan to expand the western release with a physical edition and not merely launching the game as an afterthought with a revised english chinese translation and only as digital. Adding a PS3 edition makes more sense then. Although if it's a late 2015 or 2016 release in EU/NA a PS4 version would probably make more sense.

Ad0l

Banned

I think SAO:HF did good enough on Vita to make BN notice that a PS3 version of SAO games could be worthwhile.

You can't say SAO is a portable franchise when the franchise consists on one game and the same game with expanded content. The SAO gaming franchise has little history.

I would say they feel SAO has now a big enough western following and they plan to expand the western release with a physical edition and not merely launching the game as an afterthought with a revised english chinese translation and only as digital. Adding a PS3 edition makes more sense then. Although if it's a late 2015 or 2016 release in EU/NA a PS4 version would probably make more sense.
It's an action RPG with 4 player ad-hoc multiplayer. So it's a portable franchise in Japan, at the moment.

Eolz

So it looks like Final Fantasy Explorers won't support 3D on the 3DS.
Maybe on the n3ds?
More and more developers use as much power as they can (Smash, a big "1st party" title being the worst). I really think the n3ds won't really last until 2016. I mean will obviously for a lot of consumers, but with next year's release schedule and more developers going elsewhere, I'm sure they'd like to have the "4ds" release next fall.
Now if they still have doubts over their design/strategy, that's another problem

jeremy1456

How is he right? MH3 Wii and DQIX DS announcements had epic meltdowns.

Get ready for the DQXI on 3DS announcement. Square Enix gave people hope for the PS4 for this game, and I'm predicting the biggest meltdowns this forum has ever seen when it's announced for 3DS despite that being the only logical platform for the game.

You seem... desperate. :) Anyway, no I don't think they're in danger because pre-orders for both Shinovi Versus and Deep Crimson started early too.

Shinovi Versus' pre-order began in October 2012 and it was released on February 28, 2013 (about 5 months apart). Deep Crimson's pre-order began in February 2013 and it was released on August 7, 2013 (about 6 months apart).
the expose

I'm gonna stop beating the doom drum, but we will meet again in March.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
what if the good holding the 3ds showed during the past weeks despite the announcement of the N3DS is a bad sign for th3 N3DS itself? something like:
"well, yes, a revision is coming and some people seems to care, but other not, so let's go buy the 3DS as usual"

what if the good holding the 3ds showed during the past weeks despite the announcement of the N3DS is a bad sign for th3 N3DS itself? something like:
"well, yes, a revision is coming and some people seems to care, but other not, so let's go buy the 3DS as usual"

SSB helped hw sales.

It might also be that people buy 3DS nonetheless and N3DS finds new (wide) audience. Interest for the revisions seem very high, and since N3DS will basically substitute the older versions, high interest for 3DS in general is a good news anyway.

Top Bottom