• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

E-phonk

Banned
I see sony making a return to portable gaming as a virtual platform/service on android and iOS through cloud based gaming once the platform has matured enough.
Go where the customers are and capitalize on that.

Make a sony tablet that has the feature a more prominent part of the system.

hiska-kun

I'm back to Tokyo after my trip in Osaka.
Today i went to Shibuya and everything is ready for MH4G.

Shibuya Station:
4DC3A035-73BF-47DC-BFB9-9292798FE555_zpsach2vxig.jpg

Surroundings:
3665A37E-DAC7-4FCC-8C53-46DFE7D72709_zpsft2ggyau.jpg

A53B7C14-008E-4A08-9995-3EB742385221_zpsjhsm2cqw.jpg

Monster Hunter main song sounds in the streets of Shibuya, it's like a Theme Park.

Tsutaya's store in Shibuya:
E7CF2B4C-8B46-48E3-8CF7-E2608E6D4899_zpsowqrk9sc.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm back to Tokyo after my trip in Osaka.
Today i went to Shibuya and everything is ready for MH4G.

I'm not seeing many amiibos POP (in store promotional materials): how's that perceived so far in Japan?
Smash 3DS is gonan get an update to become compatible with amiibos figurines, and one of the features of the Nconsole is the NFC embedded.
But it seems something secondary, so far.

test_account

XP-39C²
It will, but on home consoles. Sony's userbase has shown to be quite similar across PS3 and PSV, and recent announcements witnessed Sony's intention to migrate gamers from PSV towards PS4. It seems incredibly silly to split up a tiny userbase (as it became the one on dedicated devices); this is true also for Nintendo in my opinion.
I wonder if they will only focus on that concidering how big in revenue mobile gaming is. It would surprise me a lot if they dont focus anything in this sector at least.

I'm not seeing many amiibos POP (in store promotional materials): how's that perceived so far in Japan?
Smash 3DS is gonan get an update to become compatible with amiibos figurines, and one of the features of the Nconsole is the NFC embedded.
But it seems something secondary, so far.

Nintendo has to promote New 3DS, New 3DS XL and Pokémon right now. Amiibo will be out in the end of November / early December so there is time for that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
December 6 for Smash Wii U and so far no sign of hw bundle. If there are new dundles planned next Direct will be the one for Nintendo to show them.

Price rised comparing to Melee and Brawl.

I wonder if they will only focus on that concidering how big in revenue mobile gaming is. It would surprise me a lot if they dont focus anything in this sector at least.
PS Now/games as a service is presumably their answer to mobile gaming.

But they aren't going to, or at least shouldn't be, basing their npd decisions on the preferences of a single country market with disparate tastes and proclivities from the other 95% of the global market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if Smash 3DS has sold 2.8m+ worldwide, then it's likely sold about 1.3M outside of Japan so far?
We'd need to add on what the game sold this week still for Japan.

My hunch is that it did very well (for a 3DS game) in the US, but not quite as much in most of Europe.

2.8m includes digital which may have some limited impact. Did we get any digital sales info from Famitsu yet?

Should quite easily surpass 1.5m retail Japan this week I imagine, assuming sufficient supply.

Mory Dunz

incredibly random, but how did each of the Paper Mario games do in Japan?

Didn't someone post most of Nintendo 1st Party game's performance from N64 to Wii U (except Wii) in Japan a week or two ago? I forgot exactly where. I don't think it had its own thread.

If you can find that post or person, it's there.

incredibly random, but how did each of the Paper Mario games do in Japan?

From JapanLTDrank so Famitsu numbers [Opening Week Sales / LTD Sales]

[N64] Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2002.03.31} - 118,322 / 425,609
[NGC] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Nintendo) {2005.12.25} - 137,750 / 409,600
[WII] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2007.04.19} - 156,055 / 506,298
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4,571) - 130,009 / 561,139

casiopao

[NGC] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Nintendo) {2005.12.25} - 137,750 / 409,600
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4,571) - 130,009 / 561,139

Sticker Star, The Paper Mario We do not deserved but the one we need.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

That's a remarkably stable series so far. Good for it.

To be honest, I'm kind of curious what the install bases were like for the N64 and Gamecube when the relevant paper mario games were released. I have to imagine the Wii and 3DS install bases were notably higher although I guess so are the sales

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
December for amiibo and smash and still no bundle. I guess we have our answer to the wiiu 13 vs 14 ytd.

For western smash 3ds debut Id say that many gameshad simlar debut in NA and PAL, I wait for PAL charts outside UK before judging PAL performance.

In any case very good numbers so far for the 3ds version

December for amiibo and smash and still no bundle. I guess we have our answer to the wiiu 13 vs 14 ytd.

For western smash 3ds debut Id say that many gameshad simlar debut in NA and PAL, I wait for PAL charts outside UK before judging PAL performance.

Why would you assume that after previous entries (particularly Brawl, where the install bases were actually somewhat close) were in favor of NA?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why would you assume that after previous entries (particularly Brawl, where the install bases were actually somewhat close) were in favor of NA?
I meant many 3ds games, not many smash games. Id say that 3ds seems healthier in PAL than NA, so the debut could be higher fwnr NA but not by a huge gap. Im waiting for PAL charts outside UK

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Our likely answer. Anything could happen though I guess. The Wii U will have Mario Kart 8 and Smash Wii U along quite a few kids games that I don't believe the console got last time (thanks to Namco), so it should hopefully have a decent holiday.

Btw, now that we finally have a Smash Wii U release date for Japan, will preorders open up at places like comgnet soon? Or is that quite a bit later? Have they actually mentioned whether Toad is releasing in 2015 for Japan? I find it interesting that only NA is getting the game in December.

They'll have a decent holiday.
All things considered they had a decent holiday last year too.

It's more the other 48 weeks of the year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Our likely answer. Anything could happen though I guess. The Wii U will have Mario Kart 8 and Smash Wii U along quite a few kids games that I don't believe the console got last time (thanks to Namco), so it should hopefully have a decent holiday.

Btw, now that we finally have a Smash Wii U release date for Japan, will preorders open up at places like comgnet soon? Or is that quite a bit later? Have they actually mentioned whether Toad is releasing in 2015 for Japan? I find it interesting that only NA is getting the game in December.

apart from the Smash performance doubts, in terms of YoY comparison, we should also consider that:

so far, no new bundle announced
no DQX pack incoming
Taiko will have a smaller impact being the second iteration
Smash in coming out very late, so in terms of YoY comparison it will affect sales just for three weeks

It's a lock that Wii U will be down YoY to me

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

L~A

Media Create:

3DS LL 16,130
Vita 13,510
Wii U 7,805
PS4 7,350
3DS 6,360
PS3 5,365
Xbox One 1,062
Vita TV 922
PSP 84
Xbox 360 80

Oh, and 23k for Kinki no Magna... it's pretty much what I was expected, and a good debut for a brand new franchise.

Wow games in Japan are expensive And the pricing is weird across games and platforms

07./00. [WIU] Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.09.27} (¥7.128) - 27.505 / NEW

09./04. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 12.095 / 79.990 (-34%)

12./03. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 6.970 / 45.797 (-82%)

15./09. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 5.936 / 678.250 (-7%)

Yeah. 23k doesn't seem good to me especially as it won't have any legs whatsoever. Then again it never looked all that appealing compared to Rune Factory so I'm not surprised.

L~A

23k from the Rune Factory developers sounds horrible.

Just because it's developped by the same people doesn't mean it'll automatically get the same sales... especially when the two series have nothing in common.

You'd have to be pretty crazy to expect anything better than 30/40k FW.

Kysen

Wow games in Japan are expensive And the pricing is weird across games and platforms
I've noticed that only 3ds games are reasonably priced in Japan. 5-6k yen is ok but the 7k + are ridiculous. How do they expect to sell more than 100k when they are charging 8k a pop.

Cheeky

I've noticed that only 3ds games are reasonably priced in Japan. 5-6k yen is ok but the 7k + are ridiculous. How do they expect to sell more than 100k when they are charging 8k a pop.

They dont. Thats the entire point of that price tag, sell it to the small dedicated but assured smaller group instead of risking with a bigger group.

Top Bottom