• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2015 (Sep 21 - Sep 27)

No doubt, though, the otome market has shrunk from PSP -> Vita. I'm wondering where it's going to head after Vita to be honest. Given how adamantly they've been clinging to PSP, I'd imagine it's not something we'll have to worry about any time soon though.

they might switch to mobile after sony cuts them off from making vita games after everyone else has stopped :p

though I imagine this will probably really effect the small publishers and the small series. popular series will still sell well regardless of platform especially with all the cross-media promotions~

Vena

Well, if there's no deal with Nintendo then it seems reasonable to have it on as many platforms as possible. Especially with the show expanding to the west, the game should be on more than just a dedicated handheld. Depends on how much they want to push the brand over here.

Mobile really is the most obvious answer for this demographic though.

There's a deal with Nintendo at least as far as the west goes (and this would then have reverse repercussions on handling of the brand in Japan as you don't just sign one way deals like this) because they are the ones handling the publishing, localization (?), and distribution outside of Japan. So expanding in the west is expansion done under Nintendo, similar to MonHun's western expansion being done under partnership with Nintendo.

Arzehn

There's a deal with Nintendo at least as far as the west goes (and this would then have reverse repercussions on handling of the brand in Japan as you don't just sign one way deals like this) because they are the ones handling the publishing, localization (?), and distribution outside of Japan. So expanding in the west is expansion done under Nintendo, similar to MonHun's western expansion being done under partnership with Nintendo.

Isn't that deal just for the current 3DS game(s) though? Not the whole IP and future games.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Isn't that deal just for the current 3DS game(s) though? Not the whole IP and future games.

At the moment, it does seem so but Nintendo does handle the sales, marketing, distribution, and pr of Monster Hunter titles for Europe, Australia and Asia (Korea and other regions).

OhMyGod

Neo Member
QuinRose's problem is that they switch from PSP > Vita too late.
They are still releasing PSP game this year, their first Vita game as late as this April.
It also just a PSP port, since then they released 9 old port and only 1 new title for Vita.
Moreover, their games got very poor reception from otome(s).
Won 2ch worst otome game of the year 3 years in a row.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, if there's no deal with Nintendo then it seems reasonable to have it on as many platforms as possible. Especially with the show expanding to the west, the game should be on more than just a dedicated handheld. Depends on how much they want to push the brand over here.

Mobile really is the most obvious answer for this demographic though.
They already announced several Yokai Watch mobile games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They have? I must of missed that - Romance Kingdom, Yokai Watch 3, Busters - I thought that was it.
There's Yokai Watch Puni Puni which is basically Disney Tsum Tsum, a second dancing app that IIRC is a rhythm game this time, and then a dictionary app thingy.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/level-5-just-announced-six-new-yokai-watch-games

The GAF threads never got any traffic because mobile games are limited in popularity here and there was nothing people were outraged about like Fantasy Life or Layton. This made it pretty easy to miss.

Mobile was definitely the theme of the day at that conference though.

vinnygambini

There's Yokai Watch Puni Puni which is basically Disney Tsum Tsum, a second dancing app that IIRC is a rhythm game this time, and then a dictionary app thingy.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/level-5-just-announced-six-new-yokai-watch-games

The GAF threads never got any traffic because mobile games are limited in popularity here and there was nothing people were outraged about like Fantasy Life or Layton.

Mobile was definitely the theme of the day at that conference though.

Thanks for clear-up, didn't know or didn't remember there were mobile games that were announced as well.

It seems like Level 5 are running their own The Pokemon Company with the Yokai Watch IP lol :p

minus the lawsuits ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for clear-up, didn't know or didn't remember there were mobile games that were announced as well.

It seems like Level 5 are running their own The Pokemon Company with the Yokai Watch IP lol :p

minus the lawsuits ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hino has laid out Level 5's business strategy in a pretty straightforward manner recently.

Hino views the 3DS as the best way to reach Japanese children, and has made lots of Yokai Watch products plus Snack World toward this end.

Hino views mobile as the best way to reach older audiences, and has revamped Layton and Fantasy Life toward this end. He also views it as a pretty strong way to reach children, hence Snack World and the Yokai Watch apps.

He hasn't really commented on PS4 business wise, which makes me suspect he understands it's the most expensive platform on which to reach Japanese gamers, and also the one with the smallest audience, so presumably their game is either a vanity title and/or something they hope also has big appeal overseas.

I feel their comments sum up Capcom's modern state quite well. DMC and offline focused Dragon's Dogma make no sense for a digital heavy service game company, but a series that sells 6-7 million a mainline entry is too much to give up.

I feel their comments sum up Capcom's modern state quite well. DMC and offline focused Dragon's Dogma make no sense for a digital heavy service game company, but a series that sells 6-7 million a mainline entry is too much to give up.
How do you think Resident Evil 7 will be handled? All of Capcom's games have either been exclusive and/or something low risk like digital only or F2P. I imagine they would want it to be a full blown AAA title but would they be able to pull that off on their own?

vinnygambini

Hino has laid out Level 5's business strategy in a pretty straightforward manner recently.

Hino views the 3DS as the best way to reach Japanese children, and has made lots of Yokai Watch products plus Snack World toward this end.

Hino views mobile as the best way to reach older audiences, and has revamped Layton and Fantasy Life toward this end. He also views it as a pretty strong way to reach children, hence Snack World and the Yokai Watch apps.

He hasn't really commented on PS4 business wise, which makes me suspect he understands it's the most expensive platform on which to reach Japanese gamers, and also the one with the smallest audience, so presumably their game is either a vanity title and/or something they hope also has big appeal overseas.

Pretty straight forward and logical - I don't think Level 5 would have entered the PS4 business without a co-production (partnership) agreement.

Level 5 like their partnerships and it wouldn't make sense for them to act alone on that front.

On Capcom, I'm of the opinion they need to merge with a bigger player, but alas that is another discussion entirely :p

Their management lack leadership skills and a clear vision, it just seems they are trying to adapt to the marketplace by trying everything and seeing what sticks on the wall - what they don't realize is by doing so, they risk damaging the value of their IP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How do you think Resident Evil 7 will be handled? All of Capcom's games have either been exclusive and/or something low risk like digital only or F2P. I imagine they would want it to be a full blown AAA title but would they be able to pull that off on their own?
Capcom doesn't actually have financial issues. They're just very risk averse because their previous four business strategies blew up in their face.

I realize their behavior makes them look like they have serious issues, but it's one of those cases where it's more of an illusion.

As such, I'd guess this would be a major multiplatform title since shoving $60-$80 million into a game shouldn't actually be a huge issue for them when the perceived benefit is adding 1-2+ million extra sales instead of 400K sales.

Pretty straight forward and logical - I don't think Level 5 would have entered the PS4 business without a co-production (partnership) agreement.

Level 5 like their partnerships and it wouldn't make sense for them to act alone on that front.

On Capcom, I'm of the opinion they need to merge with a bigger player, but alas that is another discussion entirely :p

Their management lack leadership skills and a clear vision, it just seems they are trying to adapt to the marketplace by trying everything and seeing what sticks on the wall - what they don't realize is by doing so, they risk damaging the value of their IP.

They seem to have found something they like at the moment with their digital business and service games, and appear to be making money.

Sure, they're not going to have much presence in top shelf AAA retail going forward, but I'm not sure they care at this point.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I realize their behavior makes them look like they have serious issues, but it's one of those cases where it's more of an illusion.

What annoys me is how people don't realise that this is exactly what is going on with Konami as well but everyone acts like they're about to / should go under because of their business decisions.

vinnygambini

They seem to have found something they like at the moment with their digital business and service games, and appear to be making money.

Sure, they're not going to have much presence in top shelf AAA retail going forward, but I'm not sure they care at this point.

It seems they are attempting to reach the Activision Blizzard business model but they don't have know how, or executive leadership to help guide them through that transition.

Mobile failed, Monster Hunter Online failed to kick off, etc.

What annoys me is how people don't realise that this is exactly what is going on with Konami as well but everyone acts like they're about to / should go under because of their business decisions.

Konami have been praising the mobile tune since 2012 - their strategy hasn't changed since, nothing new under the sun lol

People don't like it :p

horuhe

That's the most important I think, and also is a consequence of Ni no Kuni low revenue. By the way, do we know if Hino has expressed something about developing for NX, lately?

Since we don´t know Tsutayas expectations it´s pretty much useless information to me. The only interesting thing about the statement is that at Tsutaya stores Winning Eleven (PS3) charted higher than Tokyo Xanadu, considering predictions and performance of the Winning Eleven at ComG have been quite disappointing. Interestingly enough at ComG Tokyo Xanady charted better, with a more favourable "points" allocation compared to single Winning Eleven SKUs.

considering they splitted the regular version and the limited version so we don't know how Xanadu performed compared to WE2016 PS3, before being happy for another Vita failure I would wait this evening

It seems they are attempting to reach the Activision Blizzard business model but they don't have know how, or executive leadership to help guide them through that transition.

Mobile failed, Monster Hunter Online failed to kick off, etc.

Konami have been praising the mobile tune since 2012 - their strategy hasn't changed since, nothing new under the sun lol

People don't like it :p

MH explore might be the mobile hit they've been long yearning for. It's doing pretty well grossing wise and have been on top of the download chart for some time now (see Niro's charts last page), which shows that the interest is still growing. Whether the game has longevity is to be seen, but at least it seems more promising than their previous mobile efforts (so far)

horuhe

It seems that at KYUSHU CEDEC 2015 to be held in Kyushu University Ohashi campus in Fukuoka on October 17th, there will be a great amount of sessions. There will be names such as Level-5, Capcom, and some talk about PlayStation VR.

More into Hino, he is gonna talk about planning development flow.

- "When you launch new work planning, what do you need to think about? Title, world, characters, every scenario is an essential element in the work."

In this lecture, Hino will talk about the specific case of the production rules in order to "sell" planning.

So any takers?

Only other I think does it is Road and once in a blue moon, me. :p

I can give it a crack, no promises though. :(

Hiska, or anyone else, feel like taking some of the weight off my back by sending me the new titles and whatnot of the expected games to chart this week?

I usually just piece together what we have and go by the Japanese names. If I don't have the exact translations, I usually end up just giving it the closest translations I can.

The GAF threads never got any traffic because mobile games are limited in popularity here and there was nothing people were outraged about like Fantasy Life or Layton. This made it pretty easy to miss.

And also because YW is not quite popular yet in Western markets (we have yet to receive the first game) + those games probably will never leave Japan + they didn't look much interesting to begin with from a gameplay-perspective.

New announcements (thanks to Bri's blog):

• new Haikyu game for 3DS from Bandai Namco; the first one didn't get a good reception, and sold around 55k units.
  • Nippon Columbia is releasing My Melody Mysterious Box: Wishes Come True for 3DS on December 10th. Platform.
  • Sonic Powered keeps announcing airport simulation games for 3DS; the 9th (!) one will be released this year.

hiska-kun

Only other I think does it is Road and once in a blue moon, me. :p

I can give it a crack, no promises though. :(

Hiska, or anyone else, feel like taking some of the weight off my back by sending me the new titles and whatnot of the expected games to chart this week?

I usually just piece together what we have and go by the Japanese names. If I don't have the exact translations, I usually end up just giving it the closest translations I can.

{2015.09.30}

[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.998)
[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu (1/1)(Limited Box) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥8.208)

{2015.10.01}

[3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥3.240)

[PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.504)
PSV] Tokyo Ghoul: Jail <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[PSV] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.212)
[PSV] Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥3.024)
[PSV] Bullet Girls [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥3.024)

PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)
[PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344)

[PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.584)
[PS4] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.424)
[PS4] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend (1/1)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.824)
[PS4] Mad Max <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥8.208)
[PS4] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS4] Tearaway Unfolded <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS4] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥8.424)

[XB1] Mad Max <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥8.208)
[XB1] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥8.424)

[PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.128)
[PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344)

[PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.584)
[PS3] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.424)
[PS3] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend (1/1)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.824)
[PS3] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS3] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.344)

[360] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.344)

Yoroshiku

bolded the titles that will definetely chart

{2015.09.30}

[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.998)
[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu (1/1)(Limited Box) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥8.208)

{2015.10.01}

[3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥3.240)

[PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.504)
PSV] Tokyo Ghoul: Jail <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[PSV] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.212)
[PSV] Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥3.024)
[PSV] Bullet Girls [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥3.024)

PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)
[PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344)

[PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.584)
[PS4] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.424)
[PS4] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend (1/1)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.824)
[PS4] Mad Max <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥8.208)
[PS4] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS4] Tearaway Unfolded <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS4] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥8.424)

[XB1] Mad Max <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥8.208)
[XB1] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥8.424)

[PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.128)
[PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344)

[PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni (1/1)(Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.584)
[PS3] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.424)
[PS3] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend (1/1)(Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.824)
[PS3] Helldivers <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.292)
[PS3] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.344)

[360] MotoGP 15 <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.344)

Yoroshiku

bolded the titles that will definetely chart

Thank you kindly! :)

QuinRose's problem is that they switch from PSP > Vita too late.
They are still releasing PSP game this year, their first Vita game as late as this April.
It also just a PSP port, since then they released 9 old port and only 1 new title for Vita.
Moreover, their games got very poor reception from otome(s).
Won 2ch worst otome game of the year 3 years in a row.

Didn't know any of that, thanks for sharing.

Fisico

Gonna be an epic AAA PS4 RPG directed by Matsuno with Yoshida character designs and Yoshida/Minaba art direction, and Sakimoto music. Get hyped!!!!!!!

Where is the NX version ? Everything should be NX.
This is the hardware that will be both usable as a handheld and a home console and revitalizes the dedicated gaming device market in Japan no way anyone would skip that for their next AAA project !

Where is the NX version ? Everything should be NX.
This is the hardware that will be both usable as a handheld and a home console and revitalizes the dedicated gaming device market in Japan no way anyone would skip that for their next AAA project !

Damn right!!!

eFKac

So any estimates, expectations for PS4 this week?
There is nothing to push it besides the price cut right?

Still I think 25k is achieveable.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So any estimates, expectations for PS4 this week?
There is nothing to push it besides the price cut right?

Still I think 25k is achieveable.

I'm expecting way more than that.
the price cut is sensible, the HW was around 15/20k average in the past weeks, so I'd say around 40/45k for me.

Top Bottom