• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2015 (Sep 21 - Sep 27)

Hubb

Wasn't Aqua Plus president referring to 100k in 5 days? That would be in line with Famitsu data since the game was released on Wednesday and had 5 days of sales in the rankings.

I thought the game released on the 24th (so only 4 days), but even still that is just 1 day. I'm not sure how long it takes additional shipments to arrive at stores.

Javin98

Banned
As expected, PS4 sales took a huge nosedive due to the price drop announcement. Next week will be really interesting to see how well the PS4 does with its first official price drop in Japan though.

Pinky

Banned
-Wii U hardware looking good for the week
-SMM #1 and looking to have great legs
-Splatoon unstoppable

Very nice!

hiska-kun

Media Create Monthly Hardware Sales 2015
Code:
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|January|   326.739|   125.809|   107.999|    63.623|    48.930|     1.981|   675.081|
|  Feb. |   168.806|    82.453|   111.015|    26.200|    27.845|     2.513|   418.832|
| March |   125.971|    89.763|   159.420|    28.726|    27.870|     1.346|   433.096|
| April |   130.845|    89.803|    99.936|    50.572|    22.343|     1.852|   395.311|
|  May  |    75.340|    53.883|    51.849|    42.889|    13.011|     1.165|   238.137|
| June  |   100.082|    59.044|    50.917|    65.364|    10.929|       772|   287.108|
| July  |   166.908|    71.087|    94.612|    57.784|    14.524|     1.023|   405.938|
| August|   158.454|    56.260|    66.156|    52.657|    11.135|       723|   345.385|
| Sept. |   118.434|    61.266|    85.495|    65.180|    10.486|     1.356|   342.217|
|October|          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
|  Nov. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
|  Dec. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Total | 1.371.579|   689.368|   827.399|   452.995|   187.073|    12.722| 3.541.136|

Media Create Hardware Sales 2014
Code:
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
|January|   359.838|   179.915|         -|    93.296|    95.633|         -|   728.682|
|  Feb. |   158.188|    77.994|   374.839|    32.573|    43.604|         -|   687.198|
| March |   174.150|   141.999|   118.499|    38.435|    58.839|         -|   531.925|
| April |   149.153|   119.383|    65.029|    32.467|    40.622|         -|   406.654|
|  May  |   106.500|    61.528|    29.323|    42.665|    29.510|         -|   269.526|
| June  |   117.040|    65.678|    32.929|    47.383|    26.944|         -|   289.974|
| July  |   203.875|   133.293|    32.758|    45.903|    36.443|         -|   452.272|
| August|   166.056|    77.905|    24.808|    49.328|    23.017|         -|   341.114|
| Sept. |   143.155|    57.072|    47.894|    32.757|    24.326|    31.116|   336.320|
|October|   563.864|    57.552|    44.941|    28.376|    25.302|     3.811|   723.846|
|  Nov. |   339.588|    70.605|    51.534|    40.900|    19.061|     4.771|   526.459|
|  Dec. |   695.148|   125.646|   148.113|   134.067|    36.016|     3.569| 1.142.559|
| Total | 3.176.525| 1.168.570|   970.667|   618.150|   459.317|    43.267| 6.436.496|

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't the PS3 LTD in Japan still 2+ millions behind the Wii one? I understand what you were saying, but a 2 millions gap for 12 VS 10 millions install base is still a relevant % imho
This is what I meant earlier when I said I was more of a qualitative analysis person. To me, the relevant bandings are as follows:

30-32 Million:
-DS

20-22 Million:
-3DS, PS2, PSP

10-12 Million:
-Wii, PS3

3-5 Million:
-Vita, Wii U

What matters to me is the trend these systems are fitting into. If you look at the list of recent platforms, each generation we see successor platforms dropping one or more tiers in terms of their sales potential.

This is a very unhealthy trend for dedicated devices. If the PS4 ends up at 6-8 million units and/or the NX ends up at 14-16 million units, that's worse yet. Even if they're only dropping half a tier, we're continuing to see a strong erosion of what remains of the dedicated industry.

Did the Wii end up marginally ahead of the PS3? Sure, but I'm not sure what meaningful takeaways there are from that.

Btw, if we are really in for a Sony escape from the portable segment, I wonder what they will do for Japan if the home console part will end up being way less relevant than before: what I mean is that if I were Sony, I wouldn't look only at PS4 vs PS3 numbers to judge the potential of that segment, but at the overall figures: Wii+PS3+360 vs Wiiu+PS4+Xone.

That would be even more depressing LOL

but the question is: if they are (are they?) dropping the portable segment, and the global home market will end up being 10 millions worth (6 + 3.5 + 0.5), what will they do?

Maybe nothing, focusing primarly (they are already doing this), or solely, on the West?
Yes. Japan is no longer a relevant dedicated market on the global scale, so I doubt they will focus on the market beyond providing promotional and technical support for any Japanese developers who want to work on their platform, and a couple of token games that will overwhelmingly consist of titles that have notable appeal in the West as well.

Sony already works with a lot of regions where they don't sell much (see emerging markets), so they can ultimately treat the region the same way they would for a large emerging market that can't sustain heavy first party support for local tastes. It's up to Japanese third party publishers if they want to continue on making games for the platform in an effort to sell more in the West despite a poor installed base at home.

duckroll

MGSV is currently behind MGS4 on LTD within the same period, but weekly sales are holding better, so if that keeps up it should eventually beat MGS4. Way behind on Peace Walker both in LTD and in weekly sales though. Consoles just can't compare to portables anymore in Japan.

Tadaima

Media Create Monthly Hardware Sales 2015

Media Create Hardware Sales 2014

The last two months have been promising. With the Wii U being propped up by two leggy titles and a PS4 price cut to stimulate sales for the rest of the year, the next few months should be okay.

3DS is the spanner in the works. It desperately needs a price cut.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The PSVita should pass 5 million easy, probabily less than 6 million though.

I think you're not quite getting what I mean. The Wii is also at 12.7 million or so despite being in the 10-12 million section, but they're meant to be illustrative bands. We can switch it to 3-6 million and it's still a very distinct grouping from 10-12 (or 13) million and part of a continuing trend of significant decay.

Whether the Vita stops selling tomorrow or ends up at 6 million it doesn't really make a difference in that regard. It's already even at the point where it no longer performed well enough to get a successor, and the Wii U's successor sounds like it's going to be very non-traditional as well.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think you're not quite getting what I mean. The Wii is also at 12.7 million or so despite being in the 10-12 million section, but they're meant to be illustrative bands. We can switch it to 3-6 million and it's still a very distinct grouping from 10-12 (or 13) million and part of a continuing trend of significant decay.

Was just about to say what you said.

It's not a sign of a healthy industry at all.

Kureransu

The last two months have been promising. With the Wii U being propped up by two leggy titles and a PS4 price cut to stimulate sales for the rest of the year, the next few months should be okay.

3DS is the spanner in the works. It desperately needs a price cut.

Well I was thinking the same thing until i notice the 3ds sold just shy of 1.6 of it's 3.17 million units Oct-Dec. last year. So, while it's a bit low, it's not as bad as it looks.

That's a really good performance for both games.

The Wii U is getting games, it SHOULD have gotten in 2012, towards what will almost certainly be the end of its life. Hoepfully, they won't make THAT mistake again.

casiopao

Conquest didn't do anywhere near as well :p

Heyy. In my dream world it sold one million. So, i should be worthy to had another one here.T_T

Nippon Ichi games sale so bad lately, I know is a port of the already not popular PS3 game, but still, Disgaea 5 sold like crap too. Please Nippon Ichi don't die, lol

No prob.^_^ S-E or Konami will surely save them even if they go bankrupt just like how they help Hudson and Taito.^_^

Ryng_tolu

Banned
In other news, Super Mario Maker looks very likely going to sell 1 million lifetime.

Whether the Vita stops selling tomorrow or ends up at 6 million it doesn't really make a difference in that regard. It's already even at the point where it no longer performed well enough to get a successor, and the Wii U's successor sounds like it's going to be very non-traditional as well.

I just correct you about this, overall i pretty agree with what you say. ^^

Tadaima

Well, you could argue that this is the first generation without a "non-traditional" platform.

Last-gen we had Wii and Nintendo DS.
The generation prior, the PlayStation 2 was a cheap DVD player and a desirable platform to a brand new type of gamer.
And before that, the PlayStation and N64 introduced 3d games to consoles after more than a decade of 2d games.

Perhaps a "non-traditional" approach is what the industry needs. That, and a better answer to smartphones in the portable sector.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is what I meant earlier when I said I was more of a qualitative analysis person. To me, the relevant bandings are as follows:

30-32 Million:
-DS

20-22 Million:
-3DS, PS2, PSP

10-12 Million:
-Wii, PS3

3-5 Million:
-Vita, Wii U

What matters to me is the trend these systems are fitting into. If you look at the list of recent platforms, each generation we see successor platforms dropping one or more tiers in terms of their sales potential.

This is a very unhealthy trend for dedicated devices. If the PS4 ends up at 6-8 million units and/or the NX ends up at 14-16 million units, that's worse yet. Even if they're only dropping half a tier, we're continuing to see a strong erosion of what remains of the dedicated industry.

Did the Wii end up marginally ahead of the PS3? Sure, but I'm not sure what meaningful takeaways there are from that.

Yes. Japan is no longer a relevant dedicated market on the global scale, so I doubt they will focus on the market beyond providing promotional and technical support for any Japanese developers who want to work on their platform, and a couple of token games that will overwhelmingly consist of titles that have notable appeal in the West as well.

Sony already works with a lot of regions where they don't sell much (see emerging markets), so they can ultimately treat the region the same way they would for a large emerging market that can't sustain heavy first party support for local tastes. It's up to Japanese third party publishers if they want to continue on making games for the platform in an effort to sell more in the West despite a poor installed base at home.

Japan is still the PS4's second largest market, the UK has it beat, but it launched there 5 months earlier and in a holiday season, launch aligned Japan is still doing comparable numbers, and it will probably be 2nd or 3rd LTD when the PS4 is discontinued, so I don't think it will be one of those "smaller markets", but a market that is slightly bigger than European markets.

It won't be anywhere near PS2, but a dead Japan is still bigger than most other console markets. Which actually shows how huge Japan was a decade or two ago.

Vena

Perhaps a "non-traditional" approach is what the industry needs. That, and a better answer to smartphones in the portable sector.

It could also use a consolidation in software spread.

Right now we exist in a market where the first party capable of producing compelling software that moves hardware (with all of two software releases) has no third party support (3DS excluded for obvious market, dominating reasons), while the opposite has all of the third party support.

crinale

So your guess is that those 100k units include a shipment that was sent during the 5th day but materializes in store at the beginning of the week.

Yeah that's one way to make some logic out of Famitsu's number and sell-through ratio.
(In Japanese Famitsu's ratio never says sell-through ratio for the first place. It really says out-of-shelf ratio so I'm assuming the denominator is how much store received the shipment last week).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Japan is still the PS4's second largest market, the UK has it beat, but it launched there 5 months earlier and in a holiday season, launch aligned Japan is still doing comparable numbers, and it will probably be 2nd or 3rd LTD when the PS4 is discontinued, so I don't think it will be one of those "smaller markets", but a market that is slightly bigger than European markets.

To be fair, i think PS4 LT sales in UK will be bigger than in Japan.
The 360 has sold around 9 million in UK, i expect PS4 to sell at this level.

About Japan, i think PS4 should end at 6-6.5 million or so.

Also, launch aligned, PS4 pass 2 million 5 months ago in UK, and now is actually at 1.8 million in Japan.

Tadaima

It could also use a consolidation in software spread.

Right now we exist in a market where the first party capable of producing compelling software that moves hardware (with all of two software releases) has no third party support (3DS excluded for obvious market, dominating reasons), while the opposite has all of the third party support.

Well, in Japan, that would be a "non-traditional" approach, albeit a minor shift, rather than a paradigm shift. It has to be bigger than that. Wii/PS2/PS1-bigger.

Vena

Well, in Japan, that would be a "non-traditional" approach, albeit a minor shift, rather than a paradigm shift. It has to be bigger than that. Wii/PS2/PS1-bigger.

Indeed it is minor, the rest will remain a question as to what the hell the NX is or will be and how it is intended to meet the growing mobile market.

Alo0oy

Banned
To be fair, i think PS4 LT sales in UK will be higer than in Japan.
The 360 has sold 9 million in UK i expect PS4 to sell at this level.

About Japan, i think PS4 should end at 6-6.5 million or so.

I think the PS4 will sell 8 million in the UK unless this gen lasts as long as last gen which is unlikely, while in Japan it can be anywhere between 6-8 million depending on many circumstances, so approximately the same market size. You just need to swap the Wii U with the XB1.

This is true. If we judge by the PS3, the PS4 is nearing its performance.

It's just that I don't consider the PS3 to have actually been a very healthy system overall. It lost over half the install base of the PS2 while the PSP got pretty near the PS2's performance, and was in a lot of ways the turning point for home consoles in Japan.

Now, it did actually manage to catch up to the Wii in the end, but mostly by the latter's implosion.

If the PS4's performance ends up living around 70-80% of what the PS3 did, while that's still a userbase you could sell software to and make a living on, it's essentially just cementing dedicated home consoles as a largely finished industry. It's especially painful for Sony given they're losing their portable product line.

That said, this is exactly what I expect to happen...
Well that is also true. I just don't know if it was that reasonable to expect PS4 to somehow behave differently sales wise than PS3 when it's basically appealing to same audience. Well I guess VR could be the popular gimmick this gen but I emphasize the word ''could'' here.

It won't be anywhere near PS2, but a dead Japan is still bigger than most other console markets. Which actually shows how huge Japan was a decade or two ago.

PS4 was at 1.6 million in Germany back in beginning of april. It's almost sure that currently it's above these Japanese numbers. France was at the million back in last december so French numbers could also be above these Japanese numbers. Therefore Japan is PS4s fourth of fifth largest market at the moment (behind US, UK, Germany and maybe France)

Alo0oy

Banned
PS4 was at 1.6 million in Germany back in beginning of april. It's almost sure that currently it's above these Japanese numbers. France was at the million back in last december so French numbers could also be above these Japanese numbers. Therefore Japan is PS4s fourth of fifth largest market at the moment (behind US, UK, Germany and maybe France)

As I said, the PS4 launched there 5 months earlier AND in a holiday period, in 2015 Japan would be easily the PS4's second largest market at ~1.3 million, the only market that can come close is the UK. I expect the same next year. I might be wrong as both Germany & France are showing huge growth, but Japan is still a lot bigger than those two & only the UK can compete with it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Is 2 million in the realm of possibilities for Yokai Busters?

It's doing extremely well for a spin-off.

Tadaima

Uk is not a market. Pal regions are, and are way bigger than japan, especially for ps4

The UK is a market. It's just usually grouped in with the other European markets.

To clarify: "PAL/Europe" is the region. The UK, Germany, France, etc are markets.

Is 2 million in the realm of possibilities for Yokai Busters?

It's doing extremely well for a spin-off.

Unless a third version is in the pipeline, I would say so. If it can sell 35-40k units in September / October, there's no way it will sell worser during holidays considering the movie.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The UK is a market. It's just usually grouped in with the other European markets.

To clarify: "PAL/Europe" is the region. The UK, Germany, France, etc are markets.

Nobody, especially companies with their products, shipments, adv and data, consider uk as a single market to be compared to the japanese one.
What I can see if home market will become really irrelevant is japan being grouped with other asian markets, not the opposite with uk being considered a separeted market in terms of dedicated policies

crinale

Nobody, especially companies with their products, shipments, adv and data, consider uk as a single market to be compared to the japanese one.
What I can see if home market will become really irrelevant is japan being grouped with other asian markets, not the opposite with uk being considered a separeted market in terms of dedicated policies

IIRC Sony is already grouping Japan with other Asian countries at financial reports and such. I think the trend will just continue (and this is another reason Japanese third parties are putting games on PS4).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Mario Maker actually is selling very similar to Splatoon. Even if is not gonna happen lifetime, this is still a very good result.

12032069_152807431732984_1073641521789196276_n.jpg

Lifetime, including digital, i'm gonna say 1.2 million for Mario Maker, and 2 million for Splatoon in Japan.

There was never a doubt
in my mind anyway

Well, you was right. :)

Loris146

MGSV is currently behind MGS4 on LTD within the same period, but weekly sales are holding better, so if that keeps up it should eventually beat MGS4. Way behind on Peace Walker both in LTD and in weekly sales though. Consoles just can't compare to portables anymore in Japan.

Do we know some data about MGSV digital sales?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
IIRC Sony is already grouping Japan with other Asian countries at financial reports and such. I think the trend will just continue (and this is another reason Japanese third parties are putting games on PS4).

Interesting, thank you!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I don't think breaking up the individual European markets is meaningful when the distinction is that Western countries overwhelmingly buy the same games.

The PS4 had shipped upwards of 25.3 million units back in July and the PS4 is at what, maybe 2 million shipped in Japan - which is a market that overwhelmingly only plays locally developed games?

If the market was buying the same games as the West this wouldn't be an issue, but the PS4 would also be doing much better.

Well that is also true. I just don't know if it was that reasonable to expect PS4 to somehow behave differently sales wise than PS3 when it's basically appealing to same audience. Well I guess VR could be the popular gimmick this gen but I emphasize the word ''could'' here.
In general I'm very bearish on VR being more than a notably niche interest.

The conversation more stems from being asked "Nirolak what would be a decent number for ps4 next week?"

I said a sustained 5-10K increase throughout the holiday season over the Summer 15-20K would be decent when looking, but when I stepped back and looked at the greater picture, it's kind of hard to contextualize the PS4 as decent at those levels given the situation.

There's pretty much no scenario I see in which the system could reasonably do anything for consoles because the audience is gone and no one is going to invest in reviving a market they have no real benefit in reviving.

I think you basically hit the nail on the head. There isn't a reasonable context in which we can expect the PS4 to be a good performer without a whole lot of conditional statements.

Well, you could argue that this is the first generation without a "non-traditional" platform.

Last-gen we had Wii and Nintendo DS.
The generation prior, the PlayStation 2 was a cheap DVD player and a desirable platform to a brand new type of gamer.
And before that, the PlayStation and N64 introduced 3d games to consoles after more than a decade of 2d games.

That's the issue though. The non-traditional platform *is* smartphones. We've moved to the point where the new and interesting platform that pushed strong growth for the industry (and Japan's gaming industry is making significantly more money than ever) left the sphere of dedicated devices.

Top Bottom