• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

fortunato

Banned
We have to see if this remains the lowest baseline it will sell for the rest of the year or if it will drop down further, but if it does sell 6k (and more in the holiday weeks) every week, then it'll be an amazing result in terms of legs.

Given the lack of competition in the same genre, the game might well increase its weekly sales during holidays. I think 250k is a lock + whatever it sold on the eShop.

Japan is waiting for the mysterious dancer.
cf8.gif

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: H1-FY 2017 (2017 Mar 27 - 2017 Sep 24)

01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 1.704.994 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 1.311.249 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 1.208.502 / NEW
04./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 650.781 / NEW
05./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 401.418 / 1.671.750
06./00. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 218.312 / NEW
07./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 212.322 / 519.943
08./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 197.643 / NEW
09./00. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.27} (¥5.700) - 187.652 / NEW
10./00. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 171.976 / NEW

Top 10

3DS - 5
NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This H1-FY | Last H1-FY |     LTD     |
|  NSW  |  1.209.712 |            |   1.734.083 |
| PS4 # |    770.131 |    609.412 |   5.278.348 |
| 3DS # |    733.014 |    569.822 |  23.274.630 |
| PSV # |    128.636 |    306.897 |   5.566.113 |
|  PS3  |      7.470 |     22.412 |  10.273.668 |
|  WIU  |      5.545 |    139.607 |   3.300.687 |
| XB1 # |      2.331 |      2.170 |      78.980 |
|  ALL  |  2.856.839 |  1.650.320 |  49.506.509 |
| XB1 S |      2.331 |            |       6.978 |
|PS4 Pro|    154.267 |            |     361.711 |
|  PS4  |    615.864 |    609.412 |   4.916.637 |
|  PSV  |    128.636 |    306.897 |   5.566.113 |
|n-2DSLL|    300.858 |            |     300.858 |
|  2DS  |     81.716 |     37.057 |     540.747 |
| n-3DS |    350.440 |    520.420 |   5.512.748 |

MARKET VALUE - Millions Yen
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+
|       | This H1-FY | Last H1-FY |
|  H-W  |     76.510 |     40.340 |
|  S-W  |     74.740 |     67.800 |
|  TOT  |    151.250 |    108.150 |

Porcile

My Japanese is not amazing but its mostly recapping and following up the pre-order situation since I assume these were the only units available today.

Fine, I'll be the first to ask: What does they say? :D

mini sufami urikire desu, moushiwake gozaimasen

translate : we will surely ship more units than famicom mini (reggie)

translate : we like to see people in line for our products

translate : what the hell they make lottery on thursday, i had to call my company and say that my wife was gonna have a child and i had to bring her to hospital

translate : all units have been sold, we apologize for this

mini sufami urikire desu, moushiwake gozaimasen

translate : we will surely ship more units than famicom mini (reggie)

translate : we like to see people in line for our products

translate : what the hell they make lottery on thursday, i had to call my company and say that my wife was gonna have a child and i had to bring her to hospital

translate : all units have been sold, we apologize for this
can I trust this guy,gafs?

L~A

Fine, I'll be the first to ask: What does they say? :D

Nothing much, it's pics of people lining-up for the console. 1000 people at Bic Camera Yurakucho, and 100 at Yodobashi Akiba.

I expect the early sales report on Tuesday/Wednesday. Expect blogger to report full sell-out tomorrow. Pretty sure Week 1 sales will be higher, though the real difference with the NES Mini is the continued shipments.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu, console video game market report,March 27, 2017 - September 24, 2017.

About the domestic home game market in the first half of 2017 (excerpt from release)

The domestic home game market size in the first half of 2017 amounted to 76.51 billion yen (189.6% compared with last year), software to 74.74 billion yen (110.2% same), total of hardware and software to 151.5 billion yen (139.9% same) It was. In addition to the fact that Nintendo Switch has led the market overall, in software, there are 3 million copies in total of 2 models of "Dragon Quest XI seeking time to pass" (Square Enix / released on July 29, 2017 / 3DS · PS 4) It was a big hit. The domestic home game market size (total of hardware and software) in the first half of 2017 exceeded the previous year for the first time in five years since the first half of 2012.]

Except that going down since then, 2017 was also the highest H1-FY since 2012.

Famitsu Sales: H1-FY 2012 (2012 Mar 26 - 2012 Sep 30)

Code:
|  H-W  |     61.080 |     59.770 |
|  S-W  |    114.260 |     98.660 |
|  TOT  |    175.340 |    158.430 |

Famitsu Sales: H1-FY 2017 (2017 Mar 27 - 2017 Sep 24)

Code:
|  H-W  |     76.510 |     40.340 |
|  S-W  |     74.740 |     67.800 |
|  TOT  |    151.250 |    108.150 |

zroid

Banned
Something I've always wondered is why is the n-3DS is so much less popular than the n-3DSXL in Japan?

with how much easier it is to get those face plates over there I would've figured it'd sell better than the XL version. Even ignoring the face plates, I have both models and I definitely prefer the smaller one. I could understand if the XL was slightly more popular for whatever reasons, but the difference in sales between them is staggering and always has been, it seems.

Something I've always wondered is why is the n-3DS is so much less popular than the n-3DSXL in Japan?

with how much easier it is to get those face plates over there I would've figured it'd sell better than the XL version. Even ignoring the face plates, I have both models and I definitely prefer the smaller one. I could understand if the XL was slightly more popular for whatever reasons, but the difference in sales between them is staggering and always has been, it seems.

Why I think the XL is more popular:

Pixel density is invisible to many people, and the extra size provides a notable improvement in comfort for them. Even some of us who are bothered by low pixel density find looking at a larger uglier image more comfortable than looking at a crisper small one.

An extra fashion accessory doesn't outweigh viewing comfort.

WestEgg

Nintendo has Japan on a LEASH.

Eek.

Half 2 will be interesting, the only big Nintendo games I can think of releasing will be Odyssey, Pokemon, and Kirby (Maybe Yoshi and Fire Emblem Switch?) I'm sure the Holiday will be kind to the evergreens like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Zelda, but I'd be surprised if they can maintain a 9/10 on the best sellers list dominance. Monster Hunter World is guaranteed one of those spots.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
MH XX Switch showing decent legs. Will easily pass 200K and should at the very least get above the Wii U game's LTD.

After all the reports from retailers and trackers for rapid rise of interest close to release and expectations for legs as long as Switch userbase increases it would be strange if they were wrong and random NeoGaf posters who said the opposite would be right.

We have to see if this remains the lowest baseline it will sell for the rest of the year or if it will drop down further, but if it does sell 6k (and more in the holiday weeks) every week, then it'll be an amazing result in terms of legs.

It still will drop a bit further. But like I was saying from the start, the first 2 weeks dont tell you anything. Right now it's holding decent. It will drop a bit more but then get bumped up again when the holidays approach. As of now we know it isn't a one an done.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Really happy to see the Famitsu data is far more positive for Sen 3. With Sen 4 on the way things should be fine for Falcom, they definitely planned ahead.

Vena

Really happy to see the Famitsu data is far more positive for Sen 3. With Sen 4 on the way things should be fine for Falcom, they definitely planned ahead.

It really doesn't matter if Famitsu is "more positive", Dengeki and MC are both much more in-line.

You can't just pick the tracker you like more. We'll have to wait a few weeks to see if they normalize, or if Famitsu remain erroneously larger than the other two.

ggx2ac

So now we've got Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition for January 16th in 2018.

That's another one to add with RE7: Gold Edition for this FY for Capcom.

L~A

Maybe if they keep re-releasing stuff, they'll reach their 10m software target eventually ;)

inb4 Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Turbo, February 22nd. Followed by Monster Hunter Triple Cross G on March 29th.

Maybe if they keep re-releasing stuff, they'll reach their 10m software target eventually ;)

inb4 Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers Turbo, February 22nd. Followed by Monster Hunter Triple Cross G on March 29th.

Monster Hunter XXX Uncensored. Hype hype hype.

And Knack 2 at 2106 copies sold!

What is funny in this thing?
I really don't understand all those posts laughing at Knack 2 sales

and also comparing a bundled game with a standalone one is like comparing apples with oranges...

All this hate against a game is out of my comprehension

Vena

I have no expectations for this title. The market is still poisoned from launch, and its not like the FGC is exactly... kind... to SFV.

I know why they are releasing this, but I don't think it matters if it has a price-tag. They'll get a minor blip of interest but, in general, the time of SFV was two years ago.

(Light the Nirolak symbol, we can discuss fighter ecosystem/environment again! Closest release we have to compare against that had a budget and not on the back of a tirefire was MKXL.)

ggx2ac

The only question I have is, why is SFV:AE releasing January 16th? They couldn't release it a little earlier?

Monster Hunter World releases on January 26th.

Resident Evil 7: Gold edition releases December 12th.

Dead Rising 4 releases on PS4 at December 6th.

Okay, I think I get it now. I can't remember if anything is releasing in November on platforms not called Switch and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen just released.

Maybe, Capcom didn't want to release SFV:AE earlier because they wanted it to not compete with Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite. Let MvCi last through to the holidays.

Of course this is ignoring how MvCi is doing currently.

Vena

Maybe, Capcom didn't want to release SFV:AE earlier because they wanted it to not compete with Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite. Let MvCi last through to the holidays.

Of course this is ignoring how MvCi is doing currently.

They are still trying to sell some of MvCI's cancerous DLC. Otherwise, I have no idea why they are avoiding November (or these holidays in general).

I still am unsure if the post-Holiday, January launch makes much sense for this and MHW. Its such a weird time unlike, say, March when traffic ups again. January (after the first week where returns are high or cash gifts are "cashed in") is usually a shopping low point after the major holiday traffic season.

Sen 4 is on its way ?

What is funny in this thing?
I really don't understand all those posts laughing at Knack 2 sales

and also comparing a bundled game with a standalone one is like comparing apples with oranges...

All this hate against a game is out of my comprehension

Knack is a mediocre game. Though it was worth it for that one time it beat Mario in sales and then became a living meme. Also a popular youtuber also hyped it up hilariously. It was a weird venture but its time for SCEJ to move onto better things.

ggx2ac

I was trying to find any Capcom games coming out in November ignoring Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 for Switch.

I forgot to add Okami HD (PS4, XB1, Steam) which comes out on December 12th.

Now I have more questions... Why is Okami HD and RE7: Gold Edition coming out on the same day?

I know that the games probably don't have a lot of overlap in the audience and Okami isn't as big as Resident Evil 7. I'm just wondering... Why?

Knack is a mediocre game. Though it was worth it for that one time it beat Mario in sales and then became a living meme. Also a popular youtuber also hyped it up hilariously. It was a weird venture but its time for SCEJ to move onto better things.

now it's completely clear

WestEgg

Hopefully Super Mario Odyssey sells more than 2106 copies first week so that Mario gets the last laugh.

I dunno, Mario is preeeetty niche. Kids these days know Knack, eat out of Knack lunch boxes, sleep under Knack sheets, and watch the Knackturday morning cartoons on the weekends.

Sen 4 is on its way ?

It still pains me that Sony Japan has been wasted on Knack all this time. They are capable of so much more.

Samus Returns made it to 40k. I know Japan isn't as big on Metroid, but the game deserves to sell. I really hope the west picked up the slack and it ends up selling well enough that we continue to get more 2D Metroid.

noshten

"Its annual shipment target of 20 million units for 2017"?

That's the first I've heard of that.

Also I feel like I remember Digitimes being a very unreliable source. Banned even, possibly?

Yeah even my most optimistic expectations are 15 million sold until the end of 2017.
For them to be able to produce 2 million per month - we should be getting >100K weeks right now. Targeting 20 million by the end of 2017 would mean that they've already shipped 8 million and have another 4 million ready to ship this month.

20M shipment target just for 2017? Switch should have reached 10M LTD sold by now if this is the case.

Well, assuming they mean FY 2017 all we know at the moment is that they shipped 2m in the first quarter. Based on MC and NPD I'd expect it to be around 7-7.5m total by the end of the second quarter, which would mean 2.5-3m more, or 4.5-5m for the first half of FY 2017. This means they would need to ship 15m in the second half, obviously the bulk of that being in Q3. I don't think it's necessarily impossible but seems absurdly unlikely.

I think Digitimes is not the best source for this type of info.

Yeah even my most optimistic expectations are 15 million sold until the end of 2017.
For them to be able to produce 2 million per month - we should be getting >100K weeks right now. Targeting 20 million by the end of 2017 would mean that they've already shipped 8 million and have another 4 million ready to ship this month.

Well I took the article to mean FY 2017, which is a tad more possible than CY 2017. Either way, I'm not trusting that source. Best to see what changes Nintendo has made to their forecast at their next earnings report.

Big if true.

If the Switch does take off in China, it can stop looking to match the Wii and set its sights on the PS2.
yeah,this is what I was gonna talk about,them partnering with Tencent alone is already a big deal,let’s see if the console actually takes off in China or not

dracula_x

I was trying to find any Capcom games coming out in November ignoring Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 for Switch.

I forgot to add Okami HD (PS4, XB1, Steam) which comes out on December 12th.

Now I have more questions... Why is Okami HD and RE7: Gold Edition coming out on the same day?

I know that the games probably don't have a lot of overlap in the audience and Okami isn't as big as Resident Evil 7. I'm just wondering... Why?

I think the only who can answer on these questions is Capcom itself, so, here's a link with contact information &#8211; http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/inquiry/
I hope you'll get your answers as soon as possible.

Digitimes are awful at this, and throw the 20Million number around often.

example:
24 Mar 2017:Nintendo expects to ship 20 million Switch devices in first year

But I don't know how big Korea and China markets might be, maybe they can do it.

Top Bottom