• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

casiopao

I mean at the end of the day it depends what you think of as a quality RPG--there's also Caligula, Mind-Zero, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Phantasy Star Nova, The Lost Child. All of these I would categorise as at least "not terrible".

Except Digimon, the rest is what u said. Not terrible rpg. But not something i would even remember lol.(Caligula and Mind Zero from my pal experience, he said is bad though)

Aters

How is 150 million downloads "relatively poor"? That's nothing to scoff at, even with a small percentage purchasing the full game.

I think FE Hero is making more money than Mario Run. Considering how big Mario is compared to FE, I'd say Nintendo didn't utilize the franchise to the fullest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, it’s a matter of scale. I do think it was worth trying, but Fire Emblem is majorly outperforming it on less than 1/10th the download count, and is probably less than 1/10th the brand in terms of recognition and stature as well.

It’s not like Super Mario Run in engendering good will either. It’s making hundreds of millions of people actively mad at Mario.

pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon_cover__fanmade__by_kogadiamond1080-dbfptcc.png

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon ComG! pre-orders(39 days left): 459 pt (150 dual pack--->300 pt)
Hardware: 23,5 million? 23,6?

facebook-share-image-usa.jpg

Pokémon Sun/Moon (39 days left): 1121 pt (99 dual pack--->198 pt)
Last day: 1828 pt (110 pt dual pack--->220 pt)
First week sales (media-create): 1.893.387 (151.379 dual pack--->302.758)
Hardware: 21.520.967

omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire.jpg

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (39 days left): 1055 pt (93 dual pack--->186 pt)
Last day: 1644 pt (91pt dual pack---> 182 pt)
First week sales: 1.508.665 (90.497 dual pack--->180.994)
Hardware: 17.036.780

pict_Spoils_de_Pokemon_X_Y___Du_francais_sil_vous_plait_1.jpg

Pokémon X/Y (39 days left): 1122 pt
Last day: 2136 pt
First week sales: 1.866.570
Hardware: 13.223.532

Best ComG! pre-orders (39 days left): Pokémon X/Y (1122 pt)
Best ComG! pre-orders (last day): Pokémon X/Y (2136 pt)
Best first week sales (media-create): Pokémon Sun/Moon (1.893.387)

ggx2ac

If Nintendo ever does another Mario game for mobile, it should be the following which may never happen:

Paper Mario for mobile.

The combat mechanics would work fine in this game.

You could have many allies to choose from which would obviously become the gacha mechanic.

The only problem is that it would need high production values for story content like Fate GO.

Pachael

Mario should have at least just uses some loot box system to unlock clothings there. What a huge missopportunities.

The new Remix X10 mode has that, kind of. At the end of each 10 course round you get the opportunity to hit a ? Box for a random prize. There's currently a special event with increased appearance for 5* buildings.

If you get enough clears and additional medals you get a chance at a Bonus ? Block which gives you the chance for a rare item. Sounds loot boxy to me but without the usual microtransactions (phew?) - you can't buy rally tickets to play Remix X10

It's the loot box spin to the regular ? Boxes which are deterministic over subsequent playthroughs e.g. 1-1 mushroom

Yeah, it's a matter of scale. I do think it was worth trying, but Fire Emblem is majorly outperforming it on less than 1/10th the download count, and is probably less than 1/10th the brand in terms of recognition and stature as well.

It's not like Super Mario Run in engendering good will either. It's making hundreds of millions of people actively mad at Mario.

Couldn't Nintendo just release a "Super Mario Run FREE" version where it's micro-transaction-based alongside the current game to please that crowd? What harm could it do?

duckroll

Couldn't Nintendo just release a "Super Mario Run FREE" version where it's micro-transaction-based alongside the current game to please that crowd? What harm could it do?

I'm not sure how this would work. Do you have like, suggestions? What exactly would the microtransactions be? How would it please that crowd? Which crowd are we talking about? What would be the nature of the content gating?

The new Remix X10 mode has that, kind of. At the end of each 10 course round you get the opportunity to hit a ? Box for a random prize. There's currently a special event with increased appearance for 5* buildings.

If you get enough clears and additional medals you get a chance at a Bonus ? Block which gives you the chance for a rare item. Sounds loot boxy to me but without the usual microtransactions (phew?) - you can't buy rally tickets to play Remix X10

It's the loot box spin to the regular ? Boxes which are deterministic over subsequent playthroughs e.g. 1-1 mushroom

Yeah I thought it was kinda neat, until I realized that I don't care about decorations in my kingdom at all. It's just.... pointless. If the lootboxes had potential character cosmetic items and whatnot, it would be far more appealing.

Fukuzatsu

Eh, there are at least 15 RPGs I would rank above those you just mentioned, except maybe Digimon which is a solid game. Those titles you just mentioned aren't bad, but they aren't close to the best Vita has to offer

Oh sure, I was just more going off those I have played on Vita.

I'm not sure how this would work. Do you have like, suggestions? What exactly would the microtransactions be? How would it please that crowd? Which crowd are we talking about? What would be the nature of the content gating?

From playing the game, I was thinking stuff like:

- Buy coins
- Buy Toad Rally tickets
- Buy instant unlocks of Luigi, Yoshi, etc
- Buy items for building, including as many flowers and whatnot you want to pay for
- Buy one level at a time?
- Buy Gold Goomba stamps

Stuff like that. Folks clearly (to me) seem to only want to pay in tiny amounts in general, may as well allow them I guess. *shrugs*

Theorymon

Shame the market didn't seem to be too receptive to Super Mario Run. I far prefer just paying 10 bucks than getting nickel and dimes by micro transactions...

I hate to admit it, but I agree that if we got a Super Mario Run 2, cosmetic loot boxes are probably the best approach. I'd rather not deal with hard gameplay walls in a Mario game like many mobile games encourage. A gacha Mario game gives me the creeps!

People are so used to microtransactions that they get actively mad when a game has an honest price. Everyone wants "F2P" games where they end up paying multiple times over the price it would be if it was B2P.

Mobile games has ruined gaming in a way. There is lots of good games, but the whole microtransaction thing blew up when they started to milk mobile gamers.

I'd prefer "pay once, play as much you like" but I think that the price was too much. Now it was 5€ and it is a lot more sensible price, but I just don't play on mobile anymore. At all. I read sports news or Twitter. Nothing else.

FE Heroes is a more traditional pay model and mobile gamers are throwing money at it. I think it is safe to say that Nintendo will follow that route from now on. And I wouldn't blame Nintendo on that, they just do what the market wants them.

Aters

Cuningas de Häme;251531639 said:
People are so used to microtransactions that they get actively mad when a game has an honest price. Everyone wants "F2P" games where they end up paying multiple times over the price it would be if it was B2P.

Mobile games has ruined gaming in a way. There is lots of good games, but the whole microtransaction thing blew up when they started to milk mobile gamers.

I'd prefer "pay once, play as much you like" but I think that the price was too much. Now it was 5€ and it is a lot more sensible price, but I just don't play on mobile anymore. At all. I read sports news or Twitter. Nothing else.

FE Heroes is a more traditional pay model and mobile gamers are throwing money at it. I think it is safe to say that Nintendo will follow that route from now on. And I wouldn't blame Nintendo on that, they just do what the market wants them.

You see, the real case is most people don't throw money into mobile games like mad men. Let the whales pay for the games, in the mean while other people can enjoy free content. In many mobile games you can get some enjoyment without bleeding your wallet.

duckroll

I will find some time later to respond in more detail, but I feel that right now these points are coming from people who absolutely have zero understanding of why microtransactions are successful for games coming up with reasoning which is very flawed.

Mario's biggest problem isn't that it is a one time pay product at all. It is in fact pretty successful at being a one time pay product. The problem is that it is only a one time pay product and nothing else. That limits the appeal and profit margin.

D.Lo

You see, the real case is most people don't throw money into mobile games like mad men. Let the whales pay for the games, in the mean while other people can enjoy free content. In many mobile games you can get some enjoyment without bleeding your wallet.
It's a tactic that preys on those with gambling tendencies though. The most successful monetised games used poker machine tactics like the variable ratio schedule of reinforcement, and have psychological experts tune the risk/reward to maximise revenue from those with addictive personalities.

It makes money, but it's a nasty predatory way to make money.

Oregano

I wasn't suggesting Super Mario Run was unsuccessful but consider that it's probably the biggest videogame brand in the world, got announced on stage at an Apple conference and had a ton of promotional work. Oh and it's only $10. It probably marks the high point for premium mobile games unless you're talking about a cultural phenomenon (Minecraft).

Then think about games like Ace Attorney, Layton, Square Enix are more expensive, much smaller brands and often just dumped on the store.

Aters

It's a tactic that preys on those with gambling tendencies though. The most successful monetised games used poker machine tactics like the variable ratio schedule of reinforcement, and have psychological experts tune the risk/reward to maximise revenue from those with addictive personalities.

It makes money, but it's a nasty predatory way to make money.

Yeah it's nasty. I do agree an age restriction is necessary. But I have to say I benefit more from this new business model than the old one. In the end I get more while paying less.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GEO ranking: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980)
02./02. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800)
03./03. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800)
04./01. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800)
05./00. [PS4] Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2017.10.05} (¥7.980)
06./07. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
07./08. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami) {2017.09.14} (¥7.600)
08./06. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980)
09./05. [3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥6.800)
10./00. [PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.10.05} (¥3.990)

Top 10

PS4 - 5
NSW - 3
3DS - 2

COMG numbers for USUM are quite low, but I don't think that's much of a problem. The marketing campaigns of XY and SM started much earlier in the year. I'd rather compare USUM to B2W2, of which the marketing campaign also started only a couple of months before launch. I expect a lot more announcements of USUM content at a higher rate in the coming weeks. My predictions are USUM's launch will be ~70% of SM's launch (let's say 1.3M including Double Packs that are counted as 2 units), and I think the parties involved will be totally fine with that.

---

&#8364;10 is a nice price for what Super Mario Run offers. Mobile B2P games usually are cheaper than handheld/console games, and the game offers much less than its handheld/console brothers.

However, in hindsight, it's easy to say that they should've charged more. In the first three days on iOS, only 4% of all people who downloaded the game bought the full experience. (source)

$14M revenue / $10 = 1.4M purchases.
1.4M purchases / 37M downloads = 3,78%

In F2P games, 2% of the active users make use of microtransactions on average. So Super Mario Run got only double of that, despite it having a free trial, and being the most recognised video game brand in the world. Nintendo was disappointed (source), and I completely understand them.

Eolz

I will find some time later to respond in more detail, but I feel that right now these points are coming from people who absolutely have zero understanding of why microtransactions are successful for games coming up with reasoning which is very flawed.

Mario's biggest problem isn't that it is a one time pay product at all. It is in fact pretty successful at being a one time pay product. The problem is that it is only a one time pay product and nothing else. That limits the appeal and profit margin.

I don't like to quote without saying much, but...
This.

Yeah, the small amount of players who usually pay in mobile games are capped at $10. They can't invest more, while the people who usually invest $0 in a game can still do that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
With how prominent loot boxes are becoming in Western games, when we will see a wide adoption of Gatcha in JP developed premium games? Or I'm just not playing the right games?

Kyoufu

With how prominent loot boxes are becoming in Western games, when we will see a wide adoption of Gatcha in JP developed premium games? Or I'm just not playing the right games?

Final Fantasy XVI will pave the way for Square-Enix and others to follow suit.

ggx2ac

Following from what I mentioned earlier noticing Nintendo's stock price earlier:

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/917638607157960705

Current market capitalization of Sony: US$46.3 billion. Nintendo: US$54.6 billion.

I remember reading earlier in the day that Nintendo got up to the 9th highest market cap in Japan, it just dropped back down to 11th behind Honda but it's pretty close.

____

Anyway, over the last few days. I noticed that Sora to Umi no Aida dropped out of the top 50 in free downloads on Google Play store. I don't know if it ever did get in the top 50 for top grossing. Compare this to Everybody's Golf which I can still see in the top 50 for free downloads.

Forwardworks still hasn't posted any million download milestones for Sora to Umi no Aida still. Unless their multimedia projects for this game cause a Yokai Watch boom, this game will probably have its servers shut down too early.

I guess the game being a Monster Strike clone was a negative, Danganronpa on mobile is another example that just being a Monster Strike clone doesn't guarantee success.

Limiting the cast to just females most likely affected the demographics that would be interested in this game. The story never forbid male fisherman from appearing in the game. Surely adding a couple of men could have helped appeal to women to play the game.

Alrus

It's not like Super Mario Run in engendering good will either. It's making hundreds of millions of people actively mad at Mario.

That's a pretty big overstatement coming from you. A bunch of people being mad on twitter because the game isn't free all the way doesn't mean hundreds of millions of people are actively mad.

I seriously doubt Mario Run hurt the brand at all. It just didn't do much for it.

Interfectum

Yeah, it’s a matter of scale. I do think it was worth trying, but Fire Emblem is majorly outperforming it on less than 1/10th the download count, and is probably less than 1/10th the brand in terms of recognition and stature as well.

It’s not like Super Mario Run in engendering good will either. It’s making hundreds of millions of people actively mad at Mario.

I dunno if that's the case anymore. It's no longer getting review bombed on the App Store and has an average 4.0 score. I think, long term, Mario Run will be seen as a success for the company.

L~A

Famitsu published their report on the Unreal Fest talk where Hori talked about the elusive Switch version. Nothing really new in there, just that despite the engine being the same on both platforms, they've come across hurdles porting it to Switch.

Oh, and it looks like this whole thing was once again Horii being Horii, talking about stuff he wasn't supposed to even mention, ha ha.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201710/10143676.html

casiopao

Following from what I mentioned earlier noticing Nintendo's stock price earlier:

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/917638607157960705

I remember reading earlier in the day that Nintendo got up to the 9th highest market cap in Japan, it just dropped back down to 11th behind Honda but it's pretty close.

____

Anyway, over the last few days. I noticed that Sora to Umi no Aida dropped out of the top 50 in free downloads on Google Play store. I don't know if it ever did get in the top 50 for top grossing. Compare this to Everybody's Golf which I can still see in the top 50 for free downloads.

Forwardworks still hasn't posted any million download milestones for Sora to Umi no Aida still. Unless their multimedia projects for this game cause a Yokai Watch boom, this game will probably have its servers shut down too early.

I guess the game being a Monster Strike clone was a negative, Danganronpa on mobile is another example that just being a Monster Strike clone doesn't guarantee success.

Limiting the cast to just females most likely affected the demographics that would be interested in this game. The story never forbid male fisherman from appearing in the game. Surely adding a couple of men could have helped appeal to women to play the game.

It is more that the taste of mobile gamer have moved away from those genre.

First is Pazudora, then MoStrike era which is then followed by Shironeko era. Right now, Rhythm and turn base rpg game is blooming right now. So this game is the case of late comers.

Also, the fact that the anime also havent start and yet the game already had quite tepid reaction is going to hurt the anime there.

D.Lo

Ah yes.
Wonder what happened to Epoch, it was an important company for the very early stage of the japanese console market.
After the Super Cassette Vision cratered next to the Famicom (I have one it is a weird system that straddles generations), they struck gold with Sylvanian Families toys. You can actually get mini dolls-house Epoch consoles for them ;)

Top Bottom