• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

Fiendcode

Ah right, SMT HD and Gal Gun 2. How many did Epic originally say? 20?

I’m sort of suspecting BD5 ported DQ Builders 1 to UE4 for it’s Switch version. They could get around Phyre licensing that way, I believe once rival consoles come into the picture you have to pay back royalties on PS too if you use it. Might make a good base for a PC port as well.

As for mario Run, I think there are a few things they could’ve done in hindsight.

They wanted a ton of downloads for a free game so they made it free to download with a macro transaction in app.
While they achieved a ton of downloads, I don’t think anyone was happy with that.
Led to the negative reviews from people who don’t actually own the game.

I think building a f2p game around Toad Run would’ve worked. It’s great and they can sell characters and costumes there. Exp/coin boosts if they want I guess. The castle is ok but kind of boring. They’ll need to make a coin shop that has things worth buying.

Pretty sure this has made less than any of the NSMB games despite being on a massive platform with apple backing.
Too late to fix it now, probably. But I guess it’s a good learning experience for Nintendo’s future mobile efforts.
They can’t do the “unlock the full app” thing again and they can’t expect paid apps to do that well

As for mario Run, I think there are a few things they could’ve done in hindsight.

They wanted a ton of downloads for a free game so they made it free to download with a macro transaction in app.
While they achieved a ton of downloads, I don’t think anyone was happy with that.
Led to the negative reviews from people who don’t actually own the game.

I think building a f2p game around Toad Run would’ve worked. It’s great and they can sell characters and costumes there. Exp/coin boosts if they want I guess. The castle is ok but kind of boring. They’ll need to make a coin shop that has things worth buying.

Pretty sure this has made less than any of the NSMB games despite being on a massive platform with apple backing.
Too late to fix it now, probably. But I guess it’s a good learning experience for Nintendo’s future mobile efforts.
They can’t do the “unlock the full app” thing again and they can’t expect paid apps to do that well

The core game is pretty good too. I bought it with the 50% off sale plus content uodate they did. Remix10 is a lot more the path the game should have originally gone down too. I also think they should have done as you saif and introduced a shop with characters you can buy. And the whole build your kingdom hoom should be expanded significantly. Something closer to Kirby's Epic Yarn style build your kingdom but even more fleshed out.

I think they can still do a paid style give $10 to get a big base pack with all the characters and good housing stuff. But the bulk of the game has to be free with incentive to pay for things. Game is also too short. Needed to be double the length.

You see, the real case is most people don't throw money into mobile games like mad men. Let the whales pay for the games, in the mean while other people can enjoy free content. In many mobile games you can get some enjoyment without bleeding your wallet.

Yup, and I am not denying that. It is a good proposition for many, but Nintendo tried to fight it as long as they could. Then they saw first hand how to make money from mobile games.

I will find some time later to respond in more detail, but I feel that right now these points are coming from people who absolutely have zero understanding of why microtransactions are successful for games coming up with reasoning which is very flawed.

Mario's biggest problem isn't that it is a one time pay product at all. It is in fact pretty successful at being a one time pay product. The problem is that it is only a one time pay product and nothing else. That limits the appeal and profit margin.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate microtransactions, they can be a very good thing for a game and for keeping said game relevant.

But the truth is that F2P games are the most profitable games. You can put ads there, make them pay for more gametime/energy/whatever, but waifus and lootboxes and mobile people are only happy. Because it is a "free" game.

It works, like FEH. And it is not a very predatory game, for what I've played. As long as Nintendo stays respectful in that regard, those "F2P" games can only help Nintendo and it's reputation.

Lots of kids play these "free" games, and they are stubborn little buggers. They can watch ads and/or wait their energy to replenish. And if they like those "free" games, they might very well buy the real thing on a console.

In my mind, Nintendo should stay with the F2P model with the rest of their mobile games. It is a good way of marketing their IPs and can bring a lot of money home too. They just need to keep their path straight.

ggx2ac

So there was a video recently from Nintendo HK confirming some games that will come with Chinese language options:

Nintendo Hong Kong just announced more Chinese games, including Xenoblade 2 (1 Dec), Skyrim and Snipperclips+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G64Tk0xVbgs

Have to wait 12 hours or so for a PR release if there is one since it's night time in HK now.

I'm just surprised that Xenoblade 2 is getting a simultaneous worldwide release in so many languages.

Last time, Xenoblade Chronicles X released in Japan and we had to wait 8 months for it to release in the west. Similar stuff occurred for the Fire Emblem 3DS games and was made much worse for Europe with them receiving the game later after the US release.

So there was a video recently from Nintendo HK confirming some games that will come with Chinese language options:

Have to wait 12 hours or so for a PR release if there is one since it's night time in HK now.

I'm just surprised that Xenoblade 2 is getting a simultaneous worldwide release in so many languages.

Last time, Xenoblade Chronicles X released in Japan and we had to wait 6 months (?) for it to release in the west. Similar stuff occurred for the Fire Emblem 3DS games and was made much worse for Europe with them receiving the game later after the US release.

Yes, no one expects a simultaneous release for the Chinese version even though there were rumors about a Chinese localization. Nintendo, the entire company, is definitely changing and listening to fans much more now than in the Wii / Wii U eras.

Fiendcode

Rather than retrofitting SMR into a f2p title I think Nintendo would be better served doing a SMR2 along those lines.

And yes Nintendo’s global releases on Switch are a great thing. Only their 3rd party collaboration titles (FE Warriors, Mario + Rabbids) seem to be lagging in major regions now. It’s also good to see them pushing into Asia more again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Namco released info on God Eater 3 that explains their decision making.

I've bolded the parts that are more relevant to the general thought process behind the title.

It also sounds like a late 2018 game.

Gematsu said:
  • First, they apologized for the three-year wait since the release of God Eater 2: Rage Burst.
    [*]After development of God Eater 2: Rage Burst wrapped up, they reconsidered what draws people to God Eater and what players are looking for. By looking at user feedback, they were faced with a situation where what users want is considerably different from the current God Eater.
    [*]In addition to looking at evolving the series, they explored market potential, including overseas expansion. Both God Eater 2: Rage Burst and God Eater: Resurrection were well-reviewed overseas.
    [*]They felt that God Eater 3 should return to the feeling first felt in God Eater—the good feeling of speedily fighting enemies.
  • God Eater 3 is set after the events of God Eater 2: Rage Burst.
  • The setting of God Eater 3 is the area around a Fenrir Headquarters. However, the Fenrir Headquarters that existed in God Eater 2: Rage Burst has already collapsed.
  • The world view from previous games has changed considerably, and the positions of the God Eaters have also changed.
    [*]Development is proceeding with console as the base. It is being developed on PC, and from there will be moved to console.
  • They’re evolving multiplayer to make it more enjoyable to play for the current era.
  • (In regards gameplay outside of four-person multiplayer) It’s possible.
  • The fields are being completely remade.
  • You can move around seamlessly on the field, and areas are the biggest they have ever been in a God Eater game. Fields feel more expansive than ever. There are many fields with differences in elevation, as well.
  • God Eater 3 will have enemies with different properties and abilities from Aragami, and these enemies will devour the player.
  • Devoured enemies will enter a strengthened state, leaving the player in a critical situation.
  • Up until now, the games were made up of “gods and mankind,” but this is vague in the protagonist of the game, who wore shackles on each of his hands. There’s a feeling of Gods devouring each other.
  • In addition to dual wielding God Arcs, new God Arcs different from previous systems will also appear.
  • Outside of that, the game will also incorporate new elements in order to face against formidable enemies.
    [*]The smartphone RPG God Eater: Resonant Ops is set between God Eater 2: Rage Burst and God Eater 3, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to understand God Eater 3 without playing it.
    [*]Development is currently 30 percent complete.
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/10/god-eater-3-enemies-devour-player-become-stronger

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds very good - I trust Bamco and it seem like they are ready to move forward in a mayor way with the IP. I expect we could see a MH4--MHW type of jump... Nice.

Fisico

Anyway, over the last few days. I noticed that Sora to Umi no Aida dropped out of the top 50 in free downloads on Google Play store. I don't know if it ever did get in the top 50 for top grossing. Compare this to Everybody's Golf which I can still see in the top 50 for free downloads.

Forwardworks still hasn't posted any million download milestones for Sora to Umi no Aida still. Unless their multimedia projects for this game cause a Yokai Watch boom, this game will probably have its servers shut down too early.

I guess the game being a Monster Strike clone was a negative, Danganronpa on mobile is another example that just being a Monster Strike clone doesn't guarantee success.

Limiting the cast to just females most likely affected the demographics that would be interested in this game. The story never forbid male fisherman from appearing in the game. Surely adding a couple of men could have helped appeal to women to play the game.

Since you asked...

Android
soratouminoosef-androbnjp8.png

Iphone
soratouminoosef-iphongwk4a.png

I'm never happy when a game flops because that's weird and selfish but I really do dislike this everything is a warriors game phase they're going through.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
30%? So they started full scale development this year?

The percentage of game development stuff from Japan always seems to be stuck at 25-30% and then magically its out in 6 months. I don't take those too seriously.

I'm never happy when a game flops because that's weird and selfish but I really do dislike this everything is a warriors game phase they're going through.
Kind of on the same boat. It does sound like it could be one of the best in the franchise, but musou games are kind of boring.
FEW was always the least interesting exclusive in the Switch line up from Nintendo/exclusive but I hope it achieves at least HW vanilla numbers eventually

Probably an important piece of news:
Tekken passes 2M units shipped World wide
Already a thread about it, but it seems relevant here too

Soon, we'll need to find a chinese media-create:

Nintendo preparing Chinese translations of various Switch games

* Super Mario Odyssey – Worldwide Simultaneous Release
* The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild – 2018
* Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – December
* Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – Worldwide Simultaneous Release
* Snipperclips Plus – November
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – November
* Fire Emblem Warriors – Released
* Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle – Released

The video showed these games as well, but only their titles:

* Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap – Released, Chinese TBD
* Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers – Released with Chinese
* Super Bomberman R – Released with Chinese
* Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star – Released with Chinese
* Puyo Puyo Tetris S – Released, add Chinese on Dec 1st
* Sonic Forces – Dec 1st
* Disgaea 5 Complete – Released, add Chinese on Dec 1st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=G64Tk0xVbgs

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-preparing-chinese-translations-of-various-switch-games/

Like I said previously, I think God Eater without a handheld version is a bad idea.

As for those Hong Kong / Taiwan releases, that's very cool of Nintendo. I hope they'll expand to China officially next year (although I doubt it matters much, because of the availability of the console over there already).

A Chinese variant of Media Create... does such a thing exist? If so, that would be very interesting! Such entity could provide us with PS4/X1 numbers already. The Switch release makes it even more interesting.

Edit: The president of NIS America has published an open apology for the lackluster localisation of Ys VIII. It'll be interesting to see which licensor Falcom will choose in the future and how well this particular game will sell in the west.

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/nis-america-apologizes-quality-ys-viii-localization-fix-due-end-november

Ōkami

Going by Steamspy PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has sold over 300k units in Japan, that'd make it the 11th best selling game of the year, and by far the fastest selling Steam game in Japan.

At least from what I could find, its the best selling Steam game in Japan, around that price point at least, potentially one of the best selling PC games in Japan ever, seeing as we have so little data.

Lately I've seen a lot of japanese streams for it, including plenty of celebrities, Famitsu has Nico streams where they even get idols to play.

Laplasakos

Ōkami;251599751 said:
Going by Steamspy PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has sold over 300k units in Japan, that'd make it the 11th best selling game of the year, and by far the fastest selling Steam game in Japan.

At least from what I could find, its the best selling Steam game in Japan, around that price point at least, potentially one of the best selling PC games in Japan ever, seeing as we have so little data.

Lately I've seen a lot of japanese streams for it, including plenty of celebrities, Famitsu has Nico streams where they even get idols to play.

Interesting. Now i wonder how a PS4 version would do there but i can't see one happening anytime soon.

PantsuJo

Ōkami;251599751 said:

Really? Cool!

* Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap – Released, Chinese TBD
* Sonic Forces – Dec 1st

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-preparing-chinese-translations-of-various-switch-games/
I mean aren’t we already talking about the chinese market all the time in this thread?

* Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap – Released, Chinese TBD
* Sonic Forces – Dec 1st

they seem pretty serious about China, why have they been so coy with the press about confirming launch in China?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} - 93,289 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] FIFA 18 (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} - 50,325 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} - 39,200 / NEW
04./02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 30,456 / 1,205,146
05./01. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} - 22,433 / 74,750
06./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} - 20,278 / NEW
07./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} - 13,728 / 761,914
08./00. [NSW] FIFA 18 (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} - 13,244 / NEW
09./00. [PS4] Genkai Tokki: Castle Panzers (Compile Heart) {2017.09.28} - 10,688 / NEW
10./03. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 (Konami) {2017.09.14} - 9,533 / 92,028
11./00. [PSV] Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu: Kanmitsu Hana Emaki (Idea Factory) {2017.09.28} - 7,429 / NEW
12./11. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (Level 5) {2017.08.10} - 6,505 / 177,609
13./00. [PS4] Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition (Bethesda Softworks) {2017.09.28} - 6,163 / NEW
13./00. [PS4] Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.09.28} - 6,110 / NEW
15./09. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} - 5,978 / 1,752,794
16./06. [PS4] Destiny 2 (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.08} - 5,539 / 90,595
17./00. [PSV] Nora to Koujo to Noraneko Heart (Harukaze) {2017.09.28} - 5,275 / NEW
18./15. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom) {2017.08.25} - 5,117 / 151,882
19./17. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 5,100 / 562,915
20./19. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 4,061 / 38,806
21./21. [NSW] Arms (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} - 3,817 / 235,725
22./14. [PS4] Everybody's Golf (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.31} - 3,728 / 154,079
23./12. [3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (Nintendo) {2017.09.15} - 3,439 / 40,382
24./00. [PSV] Heiligenstadt no Uta (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting eXtend) {2017.09.28} - 3,013 / NEW
25./18. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} - 2,994 / 1,338,983
26./24. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} - 2,856 / 222,686
27./07. [PS4] Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite (Capcom) {2017.09.21} - 2,812 / 12,465
28./25. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} - 2,567 / 1,011,568
29./16. [PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.14} - 2,494 / 29,221
30./00. [PS3] FIFA 18 (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} - 2,477 / NEW
31./10. [NSW] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) {2017.09.21} - 2,319 / 11,144
32./08. [PS4] NBA 2K18 (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2017.09.19} - 2,256 / 11,743
33./35. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 2,194 / 272,060
34./13. [PS4] Project Cars 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.21} - 2,178 / 9,298
35./00. [PS4] Knack II (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.28} - 2,106 / NEW
36./27. [PS4] Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.12.03} - 1,950 / 253,082
37./26. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami [New Price Edition] (Sega) {2017.09.21} - 1,906 / 4,500
38./28. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} - 1,883 / 315,010
39./22. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2018 (Konami) {2017.09.14} - 1,883 / 17,655
40./31. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (Level 5) {2016.12.15} - 1,767 / 795,874
41./30. [PSV] Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.03.19} - 1,744 / 1,136,156
42./32. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? (Nippon Columbia) {2017.07.20} - 1,717 / 53,681
43./29. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross (Capcom) {2017.03.18} - 1,706 / 1,647,655
44./34. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.27} - 1,622 / 202,346
45./00. [PSV] Clover Day’s (View) {2017.09.28} - 1,585 / NEW
46./39. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} - 1,578 / 1,104,527
47./20. [PS4] Patapon Remastered (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.09.21} - 1,489 / 5,420
48./33. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} - 1,478 / 144,147
49./05. [PSV] Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Kuroyuri En'youtan (Idea Factory) {2017.09.21} - 1,471 / 11,533
50./41. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} - 1,394 / 232,688

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2017     | FY(%)   |
| PS4   | 248,345   | 46.8%    | 4,239,344   | 31.7%   |
| Switch| 147,468   | 27.8%    | 3,115,140   | 23.3%   |
| 3DS   | 86,008    | 16.2%    | 4,900,510   | 36.7%   |
| Vita  | 35,501    | 6.7%     | 801,094     | 6.0%    |
| PS3   | 7,133     | 1.3%     | 101,558     | 0.8%    |
| Wii U | 4,647     | 0.9%     | 190,752     | 1.4%    |
| X One | 1,354     | 0.3%     | 8,653       | 0.1%    |
| Total | 530,456   | 100.0%   | 13,357,051  | 100.0%  |
HARDWARE
Code:
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2017     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 71,106    | 57.0%    | 1,211,762   | 41.9%   |
| PS4   | 29,367    | 23.5%    | 747,402     | 25.9%   |
| 3DS   | 10,958    | 8.8%     | 411,721     | 14.3%   |
| 2DS   | 9,539     | 7.6%     | 383,799     | 13.3%   |
| Vita  | 3,626     | 2.9%     | 121,651     | 4.2%    |
| X One | 59        | 0.0%     | 2,122       | 0.1%    |
| Wii U | 57        | 0.0%     | 3,855       | 0.1%    |
| PS3   | 53        | 0.0%     | 6,631       | 0.2%    |
| Total | 124,765   | 100.0%   | 2,888,943   | 100.0%  |
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Dengeki Sales Archive
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Top Bottom