• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

Vena

I'd care about GE3 if it didn't look terrible with the same strange plastic-doll look as Vein. The games look visually incoherent.

vern

they seem pretty serious about China, why have they been so coy with the press about confirming launch in China?

If they really are going to officially launch in China they'd pretty much need to have every little aspect of their business approved by the government and planned and ready before they announce anything. Starting a business in china, especially as a foreign enterprise and one in the heavily regulated "entertainment industry" means you'll have a million hoops to jump through and you'll take ages to get anything done and you'll run into a bunch of unforeseen snags that'll push your planned start date back again and again and again.

I've registered a company in China before. Of course I'm not Nintendo and I don't have the money and resources and lawyers that they do so their entry into the market would likely be a lot less of a hassle than mine was, but I've been here doing business long enough to know that no matter who you are, you are going to run into a lot of bullshit when trying to get anything done. So if they are planning to enter, it would be in their best interest to not officially comment on it until every single last detail is 100% confirmed
and all 红包 have been distributed to the correct people

By the way I'll go down to my local electronics mall and take some photos for you guys sometime in the next week or so.

Aters

they seem pretty serious about China, why have they been so coy with the press about confirming launch in China?

Uncle at Nintendo told me there's a negotiation going on between Nintendo and Tencent. Tencent will bring Switch to China. Detail are still being discussed as Tencent want more control of the system (such as replacing eshop with their own game store, wegame) and Nintendo most likely won't budge on that.

vern

Uncle at Nintendo told me there's a negotiation going on between Nintendo and Tencent. Tencent will bring Switch to China. Detail are still being discussed as Tencent want more control of the system (such as replacing eshop with their own game store, wegame) and Nintendo most likely won't budge on that.

If they can partner with Tencent that would be huge.

I'll ask my uncle (friend actually) that works for Tencent for any info though I'm sure he knows nothing haha. He's not in the gaming side of things.

myps2

Neo Member
Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+

|PS4 Pro|      6.457 |      5.418 |            |    257.633 |            |     388.444 |

6457 is wrong

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20171004067/

PS4 Pro 6,547

Mario007

If they can partner with Tencent that would be huge.

I'll ask my uncle (friend actually) that works for Tencent for any info though I'm sure he knows nothing haha. He's not in the gaming side of things.
Why would Tencent partner up with Nintendo of all companies?

ggx2ac

Unprecedented partnership.

Or, Nintendo creating the next rival console maker.

vern

Why would Tencent partner up with Nintendo of all companies?

Don't ask me I didn't start the rumor 😅

Maybe they see an opportunity to make money with little risk in a market they are already familiar with?

I don't know how Tencent or Nintendo makes their decisions, I guess it comes down to money though mainly.

ggx2ac

I already got the hardware fan-fiction coming up.

Nintendo wants to partner with Tencent to release Switch in China. Tencent wants to take control over the online store using their platform wegame. Removal of eShop effectively locks out Nintendo from having an online platform that would give them money from licensing for each game sold on the eShop.

Tencent goes to announce that they are partnering with Nintendo to release the Switch in China.

Shortly after, Nintendo announces to the press that they are partnering with Tencent rival Alibaba to release the Switch in China.

Tencent gets pissed and releases the Tencent GameStation in 2018 to compete in the video game console market.

horuhe

I really wanna have those uncles. lol

I'm quite sure Nintendo is gradually taking into account the Chinese market. So, a Tencent partnership would be huge for both sides.

Fukuzatsu

How would that even work unless Tencent intends to do a bunch of work porting games to Switch? The system doesn't run Android or iOS, and if they're going as far as to replace the eShop with WeGame (or say, some new QQ offshoot), that will only cement it as some kind of weird mainland-only device.

Even still I feel I have to stress, the only confirmed port is not 王者榮耀, it is Arena of Valor. They are separate entities with an incomparable gap in userbase, and I will continue to be sceptical of this until there is something other than the usual deal of releasing in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Even as limited as the Chinese PS4 is, it is still a PS4.

Mario007

I really wanna have those uncles. lol

I'm quite sure Nintendo is gradually taking into account the Chinese market. So, a Tencent partnership would be huge for both sides.
Again, I struggle to see the benefit for Tencent.

Don't ask me I didn't start the rumor 😅

Maybe they see an opportunity to make money with little risk in a market they are already familiar with?

I don't know how Tencent or Nintendo makes their decisions, I guess it comes down to money though mainly.
What you're describing is the opposite of little risk though. Console market in China is in its infancy while the handheld market is fully ruled by phones. And when I can play Honor of Kings on my phone why would I need anything else?

ggx2ac

How would that even work unless Tencent intends to do a bunch of work porting games to Switch? The system doesn't run Android or iOS, and if they're going as far as to replace the eShop with WeGame (or say, some new QQ offshoot), that will only cement it as some kind of weird mainland-only device.

Even still I feel I have to stress, the only confirmed port is not 王者榮耀, it is Arena of Valor. They are separate entities with an incomparable gap in userbase, and I will continue to be sceptical of this until there is something other than the usual deal of releasing in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Even as limited as the Chinese PS4 is, it is still a PS4.

You're looking at it the wrong way around, Tencent replaces eShop with WeGame not to put Android games on there, it forces Switch games to be on WeGame. As I said, that 30% licensing cut Nintendo gets from each eShop game sold instead changes to Tencent getting that money from WeGame.

vern

What you're describing is the opposite of little risk though. Console market in China is in its infancy while the handheld market is fully ruled by phones. And when I can play Honor of Kings on my phone why would I need anything else?

You think Tencent would foot the bill?

Fukuzatsu

Especially considering battery life and form factor, it just seems absurd to think you could get any reasonable fraction of the users.

You're looking at it the wrong way around, Tencent replaces eShop with WeGame not to put Android games on there, it forces Switch games to be on WeGame. As I said, that 30% licensing cut Nintendo gets from each eShop game sold instead changes to Tencent getting that money from WeGame.

Maybe so, but in either case I just can't envision someone debating between their phone or tablet and a Switch when the Switch is much bigger and has less features. People say the home console market isn't doing great in China (and they're right), but at least that's a debate between meaningfully different kinds of experiences. A phone and a Switch are two similarly portable things, however.

Aters

Yeah of course those PC games won't run on Switch. I think they want Nintendo to release their games on wegame instead. They just want to promote wegame in general. If you have an account on Switch, it's likely one day you'd want to use it on other device. One thing you need to remember though, is that Switch is absolutely small potato for Tencent. You can look at it in a similar way to Xbox. Microsoft don't keep Xbox department just for the profit, which really isn't all that impressive.

Fukuzatsu

Yeah of course those PC games won't run on Switch. I think they want Nintendo to release their games on wegame instead. They just want to promote wegame in general. If you have an account on Switch, it's likely one day you'd want to use it on other device.

I suppose, but it just reeks of the same stuff as many other tech developments in mainland China where "the Chinese version of X" proliferates despite everywhere else (or at least the West + Japan/Korea/Taiwan) using a different service, either due to banning or other forms of obstruction. Whether it's Google/Yahoo/Naver and Baidu or Twitter and Weibo, in general it's just a bad look, and if this is true it's going to be a thing where the Chinese Switch is on a different ecosystem than literally every other region on earth.

ggx2ac

Maybe so, but in either case I just can't envision someone debating between their phone or tablet and a Switch when the Switch is much bigger and has less features. People say the home console market isn't doing great in China (and they're right), but at least that's a debate between meaningfully different kinds of experiences. A phone and a Switch are two similarly portable things, however.

WeGame is just a digital platform like Steam. Steam has games that run on Mac, Windows, Linux.

The point of Tencent wanting WeGame to replace the eShop is not to put mobile phone games on Switch. They want Switch games on WeGame so that they make money off of it as a digital platform holder, simple as that.

Fukuzatsu

WeGame is just a digital platform like Steam. Steam has games that run on Mac, Windows, Linux.

The point of Tencent wanting WeGame to replace the eShop is not to put mobile phone games on Switch. They want Switch games on WeGame so that they make money off of it as a digital platform holder, simple as that.

It's certainly true that the most painless version would just be the eShop renamed to a subdivision of WeGame with Tencent getting paid for the service, I'll give you that.

ggx2ac

Yeah of course those PC games won't run on Switch. I think they want Nintendo to release their games on wegame instead. They just want to promote wegame in general. If you have an account on Switch, it's likely one day you'd want to use it on other device. One thing you need to remember though, is that Switch is absolutely small potato for Tencent. You can look at it in a similar way to Xbox. Microsoft don't keep Xbox department just for the profit, which really isn't all that impressive.

Another good point, people in China wouldn't even have a Nintendo Account to play games online, it would be WeGame.

Also means that Tencent would probably make money off the Nintendo online subscription service too.

Refyref

It's certainly true that the most painless version would just be the eShop renamed to a subdivision of WeGame with Tencent getting paid for the service, I'll give you that.

That would probably still cause some divide between those hypothetical Tencent Switches versus other ones, and might even bring along a region lock to enforce this split. Combined with the iffy nature of handing control of a platform to someone else, I'm not sure good of an idea this is. As that post said:

Detail are still being discussed as Tencent want more control of the system (such as replacing eshop with their own game store, wegame) and Nintendo most likely won't budge on that.

Which I think is probably the correct approach here. Then again, there might be not many other options for entering the Chinese market.

This is all assuming this is actually happening. I think that Nintendo is probably more in very early stages of a potential entry to the Chinese market, it's not something that I think they can properly handle right now.

L~A

Great debut for the SFC Mini, especially since it still sold out at launch despite the increased shipments. Hopefully they don't wait until November to send more units to retailers.

A shame the Famitsu reports was so barebone. The one for the FC Mini mentioned the type of people who bought it and all.

ggx2ac

I think it's been absorbed by Nintendo Hong Kong someone said.

It was that Nintendo bought iQue, owns them now and was absorbed by Nintendo HK regarding how they handle things.

Edit: Wait, scratch the last part. I have to check to make sure if iQue is run by Nintendo HK.

vern

You think nintendo has enough money to pay the richest gaming company in the world on systematic basis to waste their resources to get Switch in China?

Aiya. If this hypothetical partnership was happening, what do you envision it to entail? What resources would Tencent be wasting? I'm legit confused by what you think each partners responsibilities and stake would be.

Edit: where would the huge risk be for Tencent in a joint partnership with Nintendo in China. Nintendo develops the games and hardware, manufactures everything , localizes the product, handles distribution, pays for advertising... most of these costs are borne by Nintendo already. Tencent helps with marketing and potentially a e shop/ distribution platform (according to the uncle rumor above) and gives them a local partner that understands the complexities of the local market. Not a huge investment for Tencent (and to be honest probably not a huge amount of profit to be made) ... but doesn't seem particularly risky financially on Tencents part.

Oregano

Even with how big and successful Tencwnt is they will still be looking for potential avenues for profit. Launching Switch in China could be a good money maker for them.

Similar to how happy Nvidia is to partner for Switch despite not needing consoles.

casiopao

Even with how big and successful Tencwnt is they will still be looking for potential avenues for profit. Launching Switch in China could be a good money maker for them.

Similar to how happy Nvidia is to partner for Switch despite not needing consoles.

Also, if the partnership is successful it will also provide Tencent a proper standing for them to enter Console market in the future.

ggx2ac

This is why I can't remember if iQue is run by Nintendo HK or not.

I can show that Nintendo HK runs things for Taiwan because Nintendo Phuten was shut down years ago and when you check the Nintendo Taiwan site in the corporate section, it shows only information about Nintendo Hong Kong.

http://www.nintendo.tw/corporate.htm

Regarding iQue, I think their site stopped being updated after they were acquired by Nintendo which is why I can't find anything regarding who they are run by, NCL? Nintendo HK?

I don't know, so I will stop saying iQue is absorbed or run by Nintendo HK. I think that was a logical conclusion from when Nintendo's recent annual report showed that iQue were no longer a sales subsidiary and instead became a development subsidiary. Hence, you'd think Nintendo HK would be running the sales stuff for China like they're doing for Taiwan.

casiopao

Looking at it the other way around, Nintendo could also be dealing with Tencent to bring Nintendo mobile phone games into China. Like how King partnered with Tencent to bring Candy Crush Saga into China.

This also can happen but i don't really see it happening right now, as Nintendo mobile game portfolio is still not much and super successful. While of course, Pokemon Go is super big and Fire Emblem Heroes had been racking crazy money till now, their other mobile title is just not big enough yet.

Unless, Animal Crossing Mobile come out and bring the big money, then i don't see why Nintendo would want to push deeply into China mobile market.

Nintendo ranked fourth, Microsoft 16th, in Forbes' world's "most trusted" 250 companies list.

250 companies are listed, 61 US companies and 42 Japanese companies.

The main evaluation standards of this ranking are "Reliability / Integrity", "Social behavior", "Attitude as an employer", "Product / service" and so on.
The top 10 companies basically seems to be a company that received an extremely high reputation for "reliability / honesty", "product / service" , with the evaluation exceeding the average on all standards.

1st: Siemens / Conglomerate / Germany
2nd: Michelin / Group / Automobile / Truck Parts / France
3rd: Alphabet / Computer / Related services / USA
4th: Nintendo / Home leisure equipment / Japan
5th: Walt Disney / Broadcast / Cable TV / USA
6th: Carlsberg / Beverages / Denmark
7th: Apple / Computer Hardware / USA
8th: Ferrari / Automobile / Italy
9th: Hilton / Hotel Motel / USA
10th: Panasonic / Home appliances / Japan
11th: Marriott International / Hotel · Motel / USA
12th: Adidas / Apparel / Accessories / Germany
13th: Toyota / Automobile / Truck manufacturing / Japan
14th: LG Electronics / Consumer electronics / Korea
15th: Netflix / Telecommunications / Retail / USA
16th: Microsoft / Software / Programming / USA
17th: SAP / Software / Programming / Germany
18 th: GEVERRITZ / Construction Materials / Switzerland
19 th: IBM / Computers / Related Services / USA
20th: Volvo · Group / Heavy machinery / Sweden

https://forbesjapan.com/articles/detail/18060

Laplasakos

Don't know if anyone posted this but MHW reveal trailer passed the MHP3rd trailer in views and is now the most watched video in Capcom's Channel (YouTube)

MHW - 3.211.026 views
MHP3rd - 3.101.580 views
MH4 - 2.740.499 views

suracity

I stand by my original idea that you don't have to "officially" do business in China to be successful in China.

Sony localised tons of first and third party games in simplified Chinese. Latest Yakuza games launch with Chinese language. Even P5 in Chinese launched like two weeks earlier than the western launch

The localization keeps coming so I assume they are happy with the sales and deem it worthy the effort.

ggx2ac

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e171011.html

Capcom promotes Monster Hunter Stories in Japan by...

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Stories will be featured on promotional goods in the Osaka Prefectural Police 's vehicle - related crime awareness campaign.

Since 2013, Capcom has worked with Osaka Prefectural Police, as well as with the police forces of neighboring prefectures, to implement vehicle-related theft prevention campaigns. Compared to the last year * in particular, this has contributed to a reduction in the number of It is compared with other prefectures, vehicle-related crime remains prevalent in the Osaka Prefecture. In particular, for 2016 Osaka ranked highest in the country for the number of automobile break-ins and vehicle parts thefts.

As Capcom looks to support crime prevention activities in Osaka, Monster Hunter Stories will be featured in the package design of this year's promotional "car cleaners", distributed by the Osaka Prefectural Police and The General Insurance Association of Japan to raise awareness of "Prefectural Free Anti-theft License Plate Screw Installation Campaign." Three-thousand packets of car cleaners will be distributed, both at prefectural police departments and at the campaign event, scheduled for October 14, 2017.

Capcom is committed to serving as a responsible corporate citizen and will continue to conduct proactive CSR activities that involve use of the games to invigorate communities and contribute to society.

* As of the end of August, 2017

Opening flap of car cleaner wipe:

171011a.png

Fisico

The main evaluation standards of this ranking are "Reliability / Integrity", "Social behavior", "Attitude as an employer", "Product / service" and so on.
The top 10 companies basically seems to be a company that received an extremely high reputation for "reliability / honesty", "product / service" , with the evaluation exceeding the average on all standards.

8th: Ferrari / Automobile / Italy

That one doesn't compute!
should be a joke on F1 gaf instead but oh well

L~A

Media Create

Switch 38,204
PS4 16,680
New2DS LL 12,658
New3DS LL 8,534
PS4 Pro 5,869
Vita 3,545
2DS 1,594
New3DS 265
Xbox One 186
PS3 72
Wii U 45

Mario & Luigi: 25k

Doesn't look like there's any data for the SFC Mini.

Top Bottom