• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2013 (Jan 21 - Jan 27)

Interesting to note that Vita hardware still dropped despite new games being released this week. Granted it's not exactly AAA software, but the downward spiral just hit a new low.

PaulLFC

Where does the discrepancy in numbers come from between the two charts? Do they survey different retailers / different sample sizes?

nickcv

gl2X8dJ.png

t13jOuh.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This, and same for WiiU. Unless... how possible is it that the DQX port changes everything ?

IF Nintendo has their shit together and they have Wii Fit U and DQX ready for April/ Golden Week, I could see a short term spike, but DQX on its own will do little.

stalker

Imagine a scenario in the next weeks where everything goes below 10K except the 3DS, with the 3DS over 100K, its sales propelled by DQVIIr.

The PS3 probably will make this not happen.

Into

Horrible Wii U numbers and that is with a 2D Mario game, the sequel to one of the best selling games of this past generation.

It is hard to play the "wait til ____ releases" card when a real 2D Mario game is right there in the trenches with the Wii U.

duckroll

Wow, Nippon Ichi bomba. I didn't even realize the game was out until a day ago. Completely forgot about it. I should probably rectify that soon by getting it, but I should also clear the stuff I'm still playing first. :(

vctor182

Come on, it's not like the Wii U would suddenly have jumped up 50,000 sales when there's no software out. It's going to be sitting at these levels for a while

Logic, people. Logic.

thisisneogaf.gif

Get ready for doomed threads, posts and price drop begging. Fun times!

Road

iWcRIBTwNjrKc.png

Last 4 weeks only:
inSDdac0jMCAx.png

weekly sales and LTD:
Code:
PSV 2012-01-30	14,731	543,802
WIU 2013-01-21	12,335	759,460

WiiU's fucked now, but games are coming that people want. Until then... I wonder if it'll go lower than 10,000.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I did some projections based on a bit of numbers fun.

Last week, Wii U saw a drop in sales of 19.6%. This week that drop was 17%.

We can be conservative and assume the rate of change remains the same - 2.6%.

Realistically that number should actually get smaller, but these projections would be based on a worst case scenario.

The next four weeks look something like this:

Feb. 2013
Week 1 - $11,766.58 (14.4% drop)
Week 2 - $10,378.14 (11.8% drop)
Week 3 - $9,423.35 (9.2% drop)
Week 4 - $8,801.41 (6.6% drop)

Trigonx

Declines across the board in consoles from Media Create except a increase by Vita. I do think Soul Sacrifice will move units, maybe not MH type but still a significant amount.

SmokyDave

I know you're kind of a Vita fanboy, but it's no reason to ignore basic mathematics.
How about this: if I ignore every title outside the top 6 and overlook the number of units sold inside the top 6, the Vita and 3DS are on equal footing for software sales this week.

How d'ya like them apples?

daxgame

no games, no (wiiu) sales, Nintendo. Deserved punishment for bad scheduling.
Now it'll be a while before it picks up.

NotLiquid

Come on, it's not like the Wii U would suddenly have jumped up 50,000 sales when there's no software out. It's going to be sitting at these levels for a while

Logic, people. Logic.

I expected at the very least a better performance over last week's sales considering the Nintendo Direct announcements.

It might have been a bit too late in the week for that though - or the announcements won't matter on figures and Japan's expectations until their games actually release.

I'd say the PS3 will just prevent this but we're not far off having only console above the 10K barrier. I'm assuming that has never happened before.

Soriku

03./00. [PSP] Gintama no Sugoroku <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.01.24} (¥6.280) - 27.011 / NEW

tumblr_ltqpyk02qL1r5a7mto1_500.png

I foresee a rough year for Vita and Wii U.

With the Vita I don't see any game doing that much for it. Soul Sacrifice might do alright but it's just one game and won't even come close to MH. Not to mention it's not even on COMGnet charts yet.

I expect the Wii U to be really barren for much of the year. It might start to rear it's head starting during the Fall and likely during the holidays but that's a loooong time from now and we'll have a fair share of "doom" posts throughout the year. Nintendo needs to have a good holiday and a good early 2014 for the Wii U to stabilize at at least decent decent levels.

tmarques

How about this: if I ignore every title outside the top 6 and overlook the number of units sold inside the top 6, the Vita and 3DS are on equal footing for software sales this week.

How d'ya like them apples?

A brilliant career in PR awaits you.

Is Soul Sacrifice really going to push hardware units?
Yes. It's SCEJ biggest game ever and probably the biggest new IP Sony in general has ever put on a handheld. Sony has been advertising the living shit out of it and it's one of the most hyped games of Japan for 2013. How big will the hardware boost be? I'm not sure. I think it'll do more than persona, miku and gravity rush. This weeks software sells actually wasn't bad. I didn't expect much from a hentai minigame collection and a niche first person dungeon crawler.

Jan 31st: First of the North: Ken's Rage

Feb 21st: Tank! Tank! Tank! (disc edition)

March 14th: Need For Speed: Most Wanted

March 28th: Game & Wario

The last releases were COD, the Simple Series, and Sports Connection on December 20th.

This should come as a surprise to no one.

I expected at the very least a better performance over last week's sales considering the Nintendo Direct announcements.

It might have been a bit too late in the week for that though - or the announcements won't matter on figures and Japan's expectations until their games actually release.

The JP video on Youtube has 27K views, which is the least of any of their recent videos.

tmarques

Why not wait until the games are actually out? Chances are there will be a price-drop in the interim anyway.

I hope this shows Nintendo arrogance won't get them anywhere. I thought they learned that from the $250 3DS rip-off but hey, at least the Wii U is strike 2. Wonder what strike 3 will be?

Why would a teaser for a game with no title and no release date increase sales for a hardware in any meaningful way? Lol.
It's what the paycheck guys from Nintendo want you to believe. There's plenty of them in this forum alone. Generate hype where there is none.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yes. It's SCEJ biggest game ever and probably the biggest new IP Sony in general has ever put on a handheld. Sony has been advertising the living shit out of it and it's one of the most hyped games of Japan for 2013. How big will the hardware boost be? I'm not sure. I think it'll do more than persona, miku and gravity rush. This weeks software sells actually wasn't bad. I didn't expect much from a hentai minigame collection and a niche first person dungeon crawler.

I don't see it. Their biggest game ever?

nickcv

Why not wait until the games are actually out? Chances are there will be a price-drop in the interim anyway.

i don't think they are going to drop the price now... the real problem is not the price, is the lack of software.

once they release some more compelling sw if the console still won't sell then they'll drop the price

PSP+PSV(2012 YTD)=222,197
PSP+PSV(2013 YTD)=163,363(-26.5%)

Looking ahead to week 5, PSP+PSV did 32,988 in 2012.

3DS(2012 YTD)=507,236
3DS(2013 YTD)=528,899(+4.3%)

Looking ahead to week 5, 3DS did 75,018 in 2012.

All Handhelds(2012 YTD)=729,433
All Handhelds(2013 YTD)=692,262(-5.1%)

Coxy

This, and same for WiiU. Unless... how possible is it that the DQX port changes everything ?

about 0.01% as possible as PSO2 changing everything for vita, which doesnt look hugely likely to begin with

poor kamipara, deserves so much more :(

Top Bottom