• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2013 (Jan 21 - Jan 27)

Into

i don't think they are going to drop the price now... the real problem is not the price, is the lack of software.

once they release some more compelling sw if the console still won't sell then they'll drop the price

However they might consider it, since it clearly did work well for the 3DS in Japan.

Granted the 3DS never went this low, i think it went to like 30k or something which was "lowest".

Road

Yes. It's SCEJ biggest game ever and probably the biggest new IP Sony in general has ever put on a handheld. Sony has been advertising the living shit out of it and it's one of the most hyped games of Japan for 2013. How big will the hardware boost be? I'm not sure. I think it'll do more than persona, miku and gravity rush. This weeks software sells actually wasn't bad. I didn't expect much from a hentai minigame collection and a niche first person dungeon crawler.

I think I'll include Vita hardware in the prediction next month just to see the how crazy people can go...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Monster Monpiece also sold 5,000 this week through PSN. Shame we'll never get digital download numbers, as I'm really curious about a how few games performed (such as Ragnarok Odyssey in NA).

I expected at the very least a better performance over last week's sales considering the Nintendo Direct announcements.

It might have been a bit too late in the week for that though - or the announcements won't matter on figures and Japan's expectations until their games actually release.
Show of hands. How many people on GAF, the hardcore, ran out and bought a Wii U because of the ND or x.gif?

You could also argue that this week's Wii U sales would have been even lower had the Nintendo Direct not happened.

vareon

I hope this shows Nintendo arrogance won't get them anywhere. I thought they learned that from the $250 3DS rip-off but hey, at least the Wii U is strike 2. Wonder what strike 3 will be?

It's what the paycheck guys from Nintendo want you to believe. There's plenty of them in this forum alone. Generate hype where there is none.

I really think Nintendo actually wanted Pikmin or maybe Wonderful 101 to be out in January-March, or at least one of them. Still a drought, but it's something.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I really think Nintendo actually wanted Pikmin or maybe Wonderful 101 to be out in January-March, or at least one of them. Still a drought, but it's something.

I think Game & Wario was supposed to slide in there as well.

I hope this shows Nintendo arrogance won't get them anywhere. I thought they learned that from the $250 3DS rip-off but hey, at least the Wii U is strike 2. Wonder what strike 3 will be?

You have a lovely postage history.

''Let's just release a trailer showing a guy entering a flying robot, I'm sure the nerds will have a meltdown thinking it's the best thing ever and immediately take out their wallets''

Trailers have release dates.
Did Nintendo release trailers with release dates? Nope, they basically know the sheep will get excited anyway.

Ohh jackpot, did I hurt your feelings? *Baah*

Says the guy with a Pokemon avatar, you must be a chick magnet.

How do you afford the stamps?

Pikmin. 101 seems very much on time.

It's like watching my child win* the 100m at school sports day.

*Please note the definition of 'win' may be tortured to within an inch of its life.

Least they took part and tried. MS never did that.

What does that have to do with the post? Please do not derail the thread with this nonsense.

Apologies. I honestly just checked their post history cause they were a member I'd not bumped into before.

zroid

Banned
Wii Uuuuuuu~~~~~~~~~~

shit is just going to get worse till whatever releases next... what IS releasing next in Japan?

i don't know if anyone noticed but this week the PSV sold 3/4 times more software then the Wii U

Heh joking aside - Vita can sell smaller games without problems - the atrocious software numbers for last year are result of long periods without any software released.

Wii Uuuuuuu~~~~~~~~~~

shit is just going to get worse till whatever releases next... what IS releasing next in Japan?

Jan 31st: First of the North: Ken's Rage

Feb 21st: Tank! Tank! Tank! (disc edition)

March 14th: Need For Speed: Most Wanted

March 28th: Game & Wario

The last releases were COD, the Simple Series, and Sports Connection on December 20th.

From earlier.

What does that have to do with the post? Please do not derail the thread with this nonsense.

The sheep gets defensive and proceeds to stalk my account, what a great place for discussion.
I guess you also payed $250 for the 3DS? And you probably said "I would pay 300 for it!!"

schuelma

The sheep gets defensive and proceeds to stalk my account, what a great place for discussion.
I guess you also payed $250 for the 3DS? And you probably said "I would pay 300 for it!!"

I would also suggest there isn't room for this type of post either!

duckroll

Calling people sheep and other form of names is not very helpful to yourself either. Maybe you should cut out the name calling and discuss things on a more rational level.

Calling people sheep and other form of names is not very helpful to yourself either. Maybe you should cut out the name calling and discuss things on a more rational level.

I know, but what's not to like? It's not like I started the name calling in this thread, I'm actually improving :D

NotLiquid

Show of hands. How many people on GAF, the hardcore, ran out and bought a Wii U because of the ND or x.gif?

You could also argue that this week's Wii U sales would have been even lower had the Nintendo Direct not happened.

Point in that certainly taken, and I'll concede that I was mostly talking about the prospect of it keeping a balance at this point.

However they might consider it, since it clearly did work well for the 3DS in Japan.

Granted the 3DS never went this low, i think it went to like 30k or something which was "lowest".

Well, 3DS price drop was really one of many factors at the time that contributed to the increase. It's just more logical to assume that Wii U isn't all that desirable right now. By the time 3DS sales increased and the price drop happened we knew all about the new Mario and upcoming games, and had OoT3D. As for Wii U, we only just got new info on games but it's still not really doing it. Price cut isn't really enough.

vareon

What's the best title to compare Game & Wario with? WW Smooth Moves and Touched? I can't imagine G&W having a significant impact to sales.

bomma_man

It's going to be fascinating to see what Nintendo do next gen. Wouldn't want to be in Iwata's shoes.

Console/handheld combo is the obvious solution.

BriBri

IF Nintendo has their shit together and they have Wii Fit U and DQX ready for April/ Golden Week, I could see a short term spike, but DQX on its own will do little.
The Wii version moved significant hardware. It will only help Wii U, although I'm not sure to what extent (obviously not by DQ3 levels).

nickcv

the other difference is that they slashed the price a couple of months before the heavy hitters, in the upcoming future there's not such compelling software on the wii u, so there's no reason to expect the same kind of performance if they'd do the same with the wii u

schuelma

What's the best title to compare Game & Wario with? WW Smooth Moves and Touched? I can't imagine G&W having a significant impact to sales.

The Wii Wario game sold over 500k, but it was a slow burner and probably benefited from the initial surge of excitement caused by Wii Sports. I think 200-250k is probably more realistic for this one?

03./00. [PSV] Demon Gaze <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.01.24} (¥6.090) - 25.793 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece # <SLG> (Compile Heart) {2013.01.24} (¥7.140) - 25.072 / NEW
I can't believe Vita actually sold less with two new releases. Somebody is cursed. Anyway, can't wait for Senran Kagura debut! It will be huge!

08./26. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 20.651 / 200.638 (+397%)
Saw that coming. http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

12./05. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 8.791 / 193.405 (-15%)
30./25. [WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800) - 3.300 / 195.213 (-25%)
Legends.

jerd

It's going to be fascinating to see what Nintendo do next gen. Wouldn't want to be in Iwata's shoes.

I think with the way Nintendo is keeping pace with tech, VR is more likely for 2017ish.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If only Nintendo could have region locked that X.gif to be only playable on the WiiU gamepad browser, mightve actually seen a bump this week!

With nothing of note til March and even then its dubious, how low will it go? Baseline seems to be 6k-8k for the "too new to do worse" as set out by Vita. But then even Vita feels like it had more software going for it than the WiiU does in its launch period.

EDarkness

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. I mean, how could they have not been prepared for this? They don't really even have third party software to back them up. They've released hardware before but just seems like amateur stuff to me.

deviljho

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. I mean, how could they have not been prepared for this? They don't really even have third party software to back them up. They've released hardware before but just seems like amateur stuff to me.

"We've learned from the 3DS and we won't be repeating those mistakes."

"Oshi..."

Into

the other difference is that they slashed the price a couple of months before the heavy hitters, in the upcoming future there's not such compelling software on the wii u, so there's no reason to expect the same kind of performance if they'd do the same with the wii u

Yea you are right

I really want to be a fly (a fly that understands japanese) on the wall during meetings at Nintendo now, what their reaction is, where the blame is put and what strategic moves they are considering to improve the situation.

And Sony upon seeing these numbers must be scratching their heads as well for they position the PS4 in Japan

duckroll

I like how Nippon Ichi has become so insignificant that no one here is even surprised that their major title from the Disgaea team on the PS3 has cratered. Lulz. :(

zroid

Banned
NSMBU
Nintendo Land

At least these seem to be having some modest legs, maybe they will hang around in the top 30-40, particularly NSMBU. I want to believe. :(

Code:
08./26. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 20.651 / 200.638 ([B]+397%[/B])

:D dat restock

schuelma

Something went wrong with their development I think. I thought they would be fine when Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, and Wii Fit U were all supposed to hit by the end of March.

Soriku

Sounds like a good and bad idea...

Good because there'd be less systems to buy (this is more consumer focused).

Bad because Nintendo wouldn't be able to make as much money with only one product, and if it doesn't do well they can't fall back with one of their systems at least doing well as seen with 3DS's success and Wii U's meh sales so far (this is more business focused).

Top Bottom