• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

GamesMaya is expecting new stock for MH4G this Friday. Don't know about other shops.
Yodobashi: Thursday, Oct 16
Amazon: Next Monday, Oct 20 (lol)

Honestly, I wasn't expecting a reprise of MH4, but I guess it's better this way than not selling at all. :p

Monster Hunter 4, Digital September 2013: 225,324

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm kind of surprised at how well Final Fantasy: Record Keeper is holding. Spot 5 is like Big Money tier.

ffmobage2ipsrz.png

The user reviews are also surprisingly solid for what looked liked a conceptually outdated mobile game at first glance. Maybe it doesn't work like I'm assuming.

ffmobagereviewsopsek.png

Latest Famitsu interview:

Tetsu-chan Nomura is booked solid until 2019. Has several projects that will be announced next year. It's possible that a Miku game based off Nomura's design could be made and Hashimoto wants to. The latest announcement regarding Nomura was this (Miku thing), but he wants the next announcement that he is involved with to be a video game.

~A fantasy based on Divality~

-Horizon-

Latest Famitsu interview:

Tetsu-chan Nomura is booked solid until 2019. Has several projects that will be announced next year. It's possible that a Miku game based off Nomura's design could be made and Hashimoto wants to. The latest announcement regarding Nomura was this (Miku thing), but he wants the next announcement that he is involved with to be a video game.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh...sure? Why not.

How much money would a number 5 app generate?

Also, there is a publisher and a platform here; Square Enix would get something like 30% of the revenues, a really low margin.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How much money would a number 5 app generate?

Also, there is a publisher and a platform here; Square Enix would get something like 30% of the revenues, a really low margin.

Yeah, this is a bigger deal for DeNA than Square for sure.

We know that #3 is around ~$1 million a day the last time we got an update, and #1 has been in the $3-$4 million range, but 11 drops down to $90K.

Given how frequently we see games bump between the 3-5 range though, I can't imagine it's less than several hundred thousand a day, even accounting for huge spending swings.

I wonder if I can reverse engineer this somehow based on Mixi's earnings. They were pretty stable at various positions as they climbed the charts and Monster Strike is like a gigantic portion of their revenue IIRC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so for spot #2, in July, that was approximately $2 million per day given Monster Strike spent almost the entire month there and made $60 million in Japan off the game: https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/498025741712232448

If for P&D's number he also means only Japan, that would be $4.8 million a day at #1, though it could very easily be a global number (with a lot of that still coming from Japan).

I'll see if I can find anything more concrete non #4-#10, since that's a very solid concern.

Edit: And looking at Mixi's April-June stats, it'd match up with #3 being about $1 million a day.

So it seems that the market is highly concentrate; few games make a lot per day, but there is of course a long tail of respectable earners.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it seems that the market is highly concentrate; few games make a lot per day, but there is of course a long tail of respectable earners.

Yes, the revenue is incredibly concentrated in the top 5, and the top 20 for the next tier, and then it starts dropping a lot.

If you're not in the top 20, based on social games company statements, you usually don't view the title as a major success, even if it's considered a contributor.

I don't see many games get mentioned outside the top 50 as a notable contributor in the sense they rarely ever get a specific call-out.

For a smaller company, a lower hit can be seen as good, but it's comparable to say how we cheer something low end selling 100K copies.

Edit:

Actually, you also gave me an idea. I can make a rank chart that matches the Sega income per month chart since their games are only out in Japan.

This would be cool.

Of course it is still difficult to assess the success of a game on those platforms, but it would be a start. We have no idea on how much it would cost to keep the game alive, how much DeNA is cutting from companies' revenues (Apple takes 30% of revenues); etc.

Top grossing games are known for being huge successes, such as Puzzle & Dragons; if a game stay in the Top 5 for a while, like a week or so, I guess it would be more difficult to assess something about its performance.

GungHo has said on multiple occasions that their less successful properties still pull a profit- Divine Gate spends most its time in the bottom 100 and gets a crapton of collabs so maybe we could see if there are any hard numbers for that game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, here we go.

Sega's month revenue figures. I'm going to treat each game as their performance in May 2014 as the press release came out on June 20th and they take some time to prepare.

Chain Chronicle/PuyoPuyo averaged $150,752+ per day with a peak of 4 and 6 respectively. Spent most of the month notably lower than those peaks, primarily in the 10 to 40 range.

Border Break averaged $30,153+ a day. Peaked at 9, but spent much of its time at around 50 or lower.

The soccer game averaged about $15,000+ a day. It peaked at 55, and spent most of its time between 100 and 150.

If I had to guess, I'd say that #5 right now is probably pulling in at least $200-$300K a day if not more given how short of a time Chain Chronicle and PuyoPuyo were at that position and that they were $150K+ averages for the month still.

Apenheul

I guess this would be the place to ask.. what are the Yokai Watch 2 pair of packets that you can buy for 500 Yen in supermarket stores?

I took this photo yesterday at 11:00 a.m.
Did you check that?

If it wasn't sold out, that means they received a new shipment when I left.

As I said, I didn't pay much attention about it, but honestly if there is the "urikire" (sold-out) sign I can clearly see, it's red :D

Maybe they had a restock in the afternoon, I don't know, but also when I went to Sofmap I didn' notice any sold-out warning, but maybe they just did not put it, as they did for MH4G, not written sold-out, you just was not able to find a copy of the game to bring to the cashier

This is a picture I took yesterday in Sofmap Ikebukuro around 14:30, as you can see the n3DS LL has not the sold-out sign but "already available"

10733962_816338395085149_7069531487441053064_n.jpg

But today I went to Yodobashi Shinjuku West and both models were sold-out, I was planning to buy one for a friend... there were cartels warning you about the sold-out, the new restock was planned for Thursday and you were able to preorder them, inside the shop all the boxes had the sold-out sign.
So I came back home very disappointed... :D

BKK

Right, but most of those sales probably weren't on NG. Famitsu;

[SS] The King of Fighters '95 <FTG> (SNK) {1996.03.28} (¥7.800) - 135,214 / 257.294
[NG] The King of Fighters '95 <FTG> (SNK) {1995.09.01 [CT] / 1995.09.29 [CD]} (¥29.800 [CT] / ¥8.800 [CD]) - 142.825 / 175.025*
[PS] The King of Fighters '95 <FTG> (SNK) {1996.06.28} (¥5.800) - 63,892 / 145.389
[GB] The King of Fighters '95 <FTG> (SNK) {1996.04.26} (¥4.500) - 23,967 / 23.967

*Popped in and out of charts before Famitsu gave LTDs, during the 9 weeks it failed to chart in 1995 the #30 placed titles sold a combined total of 46,131 (ie KoF 95 sold <46,131 in those 9 weeks outside of the chart). Also, they give the date for CD version which launched 4 weeks after cartridge version. Unfortunately the charts for cartridge version release are unavailable, so it's unclear if those are combined or not.

Those are just Japanese sales, overseas sales would likely weigh even more against NG.

test_account

XP-39C²
3DO had 214 releases in Japan.

The idea of comparing Matsushita with SNK is a bit ridiculous.
Thanks for the info.

No one did a comparison outside of the sales numbers by the way, i dont see anything ridiculous about that. Game quality and the price of the games are very different, at least the price, indeed.

DrWong

Ah! I know the guy who did this documentary, it's a friend. He's the co-founder of nolife, a french tv and goes to tgs every year. He's done a lot of these kind of documentaries as well as other stuff related to japanese gaming, music and anime world. We did an interview with Morimoto Koji - a japanese animator - a few years back. He's contributed a lot to the gaming culture (I don't have a better wording, sorry).

http://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Pilot

hiska-kun

As I said, I didn't pay much attention about it, but honestly if there is the "urikire" (sold-out) sign I can clearly see, it's red :D

Maybe they had a restock in the afternoon, I don't know, but also when I went to Sofmap I didn' notice any sold-out warning, but maybe they just did not put it, as they did for MH4G, not written sold-out, you just was not able to find a copy of the game to bring to the cashier

This is a picture I took yesterday in Sofmap Ikebukuro around 14:30, as you can see the n3DS LL has not the sold-out sign but "already available"

10733962_816338395085149_7069531487441053064_n.jpg

Wait, &#23436;&#22770; means sold out (completely sold). XD

hiska-kun

I needed to check if Capcom shipped more copies today , but it's still sold out in Bic Camera and Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro.
I'm gonna check Shinjuku this afternoon, but it seems, today, shops didn't receive any new shipment.

All New 3DS models are sold out in Yamada Denki. (&#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;)
96331B73-C65E-4B4A-B4FB-AFD69B2FA17D_zpsw4qhud2h.jpg

In Bic Camera just the black color of New 3DS is available. It's a matter of time now. (&#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;)
7E4A631D-BB01-4029-A4D5-31C09CA5797B_zpsh5lmtjuu.jpg

Today pre-orders of Youkai Watch 2 Shin Uchi started!!
2E0B8441-8AB2-492A-8FE8-755F0FFDC989_zps6xgzojls.jpg

The sign on the LL says "Kanbai shimashita", which means "sold out", not "already available".

ops... :D

I just paid attention to the second kanji

so basically nintendo did not make a large shipment considering the "long weekend"

Anyway, Yodobashi has this schedule for restocks :

MH4G Oct.17 (Fri)
n3DS Oct.18 (Sat)

New 3DS LL sold way more than New 3DS; it might also be due to the MH4G bundle, and the fact that New 3DS is more oriented towards kids (with the faceplates and stuffs) and so while not having a spectacular launch, it will held better in the next weeks and during holidays.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reposting from the other thread

Anyone else here a bit shocked by MH4G sales? I mean, it's the highest debut ever for a G version of the main game, and it still pretty much follows the past trend of expanded versions having debuts about (if not higher, as happened int the past) the levels of the main release. I sincerly thought this wouldn't have happened due to the massive debut for MH4 (on par, more or less, with MHP3rd).

Seems like a good number, in that it's a reasonably large number of systems sold.

I'm guessing the old 3DS essentially fell off a cliff this week, so Y/Y it might be up about 30-40K or so?

I don't know what this implies if anything towards the revision reviving sales significantly outside of this week.

hiska-kun

Anyone else here a bit shocked by MH4G sales? I mean, it's the highest debut ever for a G version of the main game, and it still pretty much follows the past trend of expanded versions having debuts about (if not higher, as happened int the past) the levels of the main release. I sincerly thought this wouldn't have happened due to the massive debut for MH4 (on par, more or less, with MHP3rd).

Media Create already pointed that a similar opening was expected:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=133687034

Media Create said:
&#12539;The number of pre-orders of “Monster Hunter 4G” which will be released in October 11th was 811 thousand copies, and will outnumber 900 thousand copies in its release week. Although it didn’t reach the pre-order volume of “4” released in September 2013 (Final pre-orders: 1.177 million copies), but, given the digestibility rate of last installment (91.96%), initial sales of the latest one will be able to reach those of last one if the number of its shipment will be enough.

http://www.m-create.com/english/latest_research/e_ranking.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Seems like a good number, in that it's a reasonably large number of systems sold.

I'm guessing the old 3DS essentially fell off a cliff this week, so Y/Y it might be up about 30-40K or so?

I don't know what this implies if anything towards the revision reviving sales significantly outside of this week.

nobody knows, also because we saw many sold out episodes for the new HWs (somewhere even for the basic N3DS).
I think that the main reason why N decided to skip the western launch (except Australia) for 2014 holiday season is due to manufacturing of two brand new models...

Btw, good numbers for both N3ds and MH. let's see if and how they will hold.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

It shows how strong the market still is. Which just makes it more surprising that other companies haven't tried to capitalize on the bigger fanbase. I can't believe Square-Enix will be the first.

L~A

Looks like the F2P Initial D game on 3DS has been downloaded 500k times?

Famitsu

And there's Squeenix bringing their Arthur Million game to the 3DS. That was... unexpected.

Yeah, actually, it's even higher than I expected and I did have fairly sizable expectations.

L~A

Well, if they still keep updating the game with new stuff, I guess it's more or less profitable. It's been launched a few months ago, irrc.

SmokyDave

I suspect the numbers for everything that ain't a 3DS will look pretty grim for the next few weeks. Grimmer than normal, that is.

Agreed but that's what the market prefers, consoles are irrelevant in Japan and that will never change.
Well, the market prefers smartphones really. Hopefully a download / revenue tracker will spring up for iOS and Android games at some point.

SgtCobra

Well, the market prefers smartphones really. Hopefully a download / revenue tracker will spring up for iOS and Android games at some point.
Of course. But I was talking about dedicated hardware. The 3DS is the only one who has a decent future over there.
From February next year PS4 will be good... everything will be ok (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;&#65344;)
This is a joke right? :p
Nothing will and can save that thing in Japan.

hiska-kun

That's the situation in Tokyo:

Tsutaya (Shibuya): All New models sold out &#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;
1AE669CE-A7DA-47F1-9F90-824AAB8DCC03_zpsfff9bawp.jpg

Bic Camera (Shinjuku): All New models sold out &#23436;&#22770;
8E81D6D3-B158-4E7D-AC9F-09D1A1DB2384_zpsv520p3oe.jpg

Yodabashi Camera (Shinjuku): Next shipment for the 18th. Pre-orders opened
83D06108-2B2A-4453-A233-3F553E6BB842_zpsmoxugwdb.jpg

Bic Camera (Ikebukuro): All New models sold out &#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;
C8AED314-1844-4BC7-BD98-EF00C59B2996_zpsjlkilvs7.jpg

Yamada Denki (Ikebukuro): All New models sold out &#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;
96331B73-C65E-4B4A-B4FB-AFD69B2FA17D_zpsw4qhud2h.jpg

For MH4G sold out everywhere except Tsutaya.

Top Bottom