• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2015 (Sep 28 - Oct 04)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PES 2016 v.s. PES 2015

Media Create

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 71.303 / NEW
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 26.684 / NEW

Total - 97,987

[PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 48.473 / NEW
[PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208) - 39.017 / NEW

Total - 87,490

Famitsu

02./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 76.407 / NEW <40-60%>
08./00. [PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208) - 26.627 / NEW <40-60%>

Total - 103,034

[PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 57.048 / NEW <60-80%>
[PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208) - 39.549 / NEW <40-60%>

Total - 95,597

What happened to the PES franchise

Considering Tsutaya had Winning Eleven above Tokyo Xanadu, they weren't even close in the end.

Shame the new games couldn't do anything for Vita hardware. They really have reached the ceiling of this audience, it seems.

Arslan did absolutely horribly. Xanadu and Yoru no Nai Kuni very nice, though.

Darius

Banned
Tsutayas expectations for TokyoXanadu must have been really really bad looking at their comment, considering it sold within expectations.

PSV still seeing decline after the launch of new colours despite a few new releases.

Good legs for Mario Maker.

While it has dropped a bit more than the last one, it is still ahead and the Japanese gaming industry is much different now to how it was then. Third week had it at 40k but was #9. Now, if you have 40k, chances are you're number one or two unless a huge release came.

It's still a Dungeon game which is a tired series.

All things considered, the game is bombing - during its 13th week, YW Busters sold more than Pokémon SMD which means that even in a declining market you can still sell respectable numbers and have great legs.

casiopao

How is it the end of an era?

Ohh. I dont mean that it mean poke is dead here. Just mystery dungeon on pokemon will never do as good as the old pokemon ever again. And it would be better if gamefreak try to look for new collab like the upcoming pokken or maybe other new genre to collab again.

JoeM86

All things considered, the game is bombing - during its 13th week, YW Busters sold more than Pokémon SMD which means that even in a declining market you can still sell respectable numbers.

Yo-kai Watch is still at fad level at the moment. Of course anything is going to sell whereas Pokémon is still popular, but a new iteration of a fairly niche spin-off series of it will not do gangbusters.

You're also neglecting the fact that the last Dungeon game was released just before the huge holiday sales so that's why Gates held on a lot better.

Mpl90

Why are people saying that Gust is still releasing games that flop. Yoru no Nai Kuni did quite well, and much more than what I was expecting: it's around 80,000 (all versions combined) in its first week, that's a pretty good result. The real disappointments / flops of the week are Arslan and PES, honestly. Don't know about Tokyo Ghoul that much to talk about it.

I honestly don't know what constitutes as good numbers anymore. I look at the PS4 in the advent of its price cut, Tokyo Xanadu and Yoru no Nai Kuni and feel like I could spin the results either way.

Too bad there aren't any big Japanese games this year for PS4. Oh well maybe next year.

Tbh, there aren't many big titles on any platform releasing this fall in Japan. Monster Hunter X is the only one I can think of. Maybe Project X Zone 2 if you think it's a big.

Zalman

Good to see a big PS4 jump, but the real question is how long it can stay up there.

Splatoon is still in the top 10, which is neat. Regarding Pokémon, I wouldn't have expected Super Mystery Dungeon to do better than the last one anyway. The excitement for PMD games isn't what it used to be. They should probably give it a rest and come up with new ideas like Pokkén.

MGSV is also having rather good legs for MGS game. Sold better on PS4 alone this week than IV sold on PS3 during its fifth week. Not to mention nowadays there are also digital sales. Very good.

ZoddGutts

For some reason I thought there was a PS3 ver for Xanadu, wonder if there was maybe they could've sold another 20K.

crinale

Xanadu is quite meaty game.. I'm sure it will get sequels but I don't think they can make it annual unless they drop Kiseki series..

Dee Dee

MEDIA CREATE

After 40 weeks, 2015 is become the bigger Wii U year in Japan.

2015 = 465,838
2014 = 461,349
2013 = 422,612

I think it was already well established that christmas 2013 won't be beat? Still nice numbers to look at for a bit. But let's not be stupid - this is no upswing, just goes to show how much shitter the situation was before.

I am honestly flabbergasted no Nintendo Direct effort is being made. E3 still has left a bitter taste with a lot of people, and NX comments started surfacing. I feel for the people running the company and their loss, but they need some good PR that makes the Wii U look like an attractive christmas present, and they need it soon.
In additon to no heavy hitters for christmas, Club Nintendo is dead, and they had well enough time to prepare a successor. This is starting to look unprofessional on their side, I'm sorry. Their information policy is horribly lacking.

About the "#soon" mobile announcement that might come - it honestly can not come soon enough. What a weak start for Nintendo into Q4, considering this is where they are supposed to make their money.

Asd202

MGSV is also having rather good legs for MGS game. Sold better on PS4 alone this week than IV sold on PS3 during its fifth week. Not to mention nowadays there are also digital sales. Very good.

I was really surprised to play a lot of Japanese players in my MGO sessions.

ZhugeEX

Banned
04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 35.907 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 32.904 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 10.416 / NEW

Awesome! Brilliant opening.

16./00. [PS3] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥8.424) - 10.337 / NEW
17./00. [PS4] Arslan: The Warriors of Legend # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥8.424) - 10.034 / NEW

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JoeM86

I think it was already well established that christmas 2013 won't be beat? Still nice numbers to look at for a bit. But let's not be stupid - this is no upswing, just goes to show how much shitter the situation was before.

I am honestly flabbergasted no Nintendo Direct effort is being made. E3 still has left a bitter taste with a lot of people, and NX comments started surfacing. I feel for the people running the company and their loss, but they need some good PR that makes the Wii U look like an attractive christmas present, and they need it soon.
In additon to no heavy hitters for christmas, Club Nintendo is dead, and they had well enough time to prepare a successor. This is starting to look unprofessional on their side, I'm sorry. Their information policy is horribly lacking.

About the "#soon" mobile announcement that might come - it honestly can not come soon enough. What a weak start for Nintendo into Q4, considering this is where they are supposed to make their money.

To be fair, there's lots of rumblings for news coming in the next couple of weeks. Think you're jumping the gun a little with the complaints

crinale

It shows dedicated fans are still there at console (including handhelds) gaming scene. I think it is universal among all platforms.
I know it is quite difficult to expand the fanbase but I'll stay optimistic.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What's so sad is Arslan Warrios seem to be quite good game (if you know what the series is about). I'll get the copy when I clear all my backlogs..

I find the Koei Tecmo RPG result more impressive honestly, because it seemed pretty risky and is actually something different for both Koei Tecmo and for Gust.
I gotta admit, I didn't even know Yoru was being published by Kotec lol

It's kinda surprising that the PS4 version sold the best. Was kinda expecting the Vita version to take that spot, performance hyjinks nonwithstanding.

gtj1092

So far it's pretty much only making up for the lost sales over the past couple weeks.

Yep price cut hasn't done much, still expect ps4 to continue to bomb. Needs a game like splatoon so that it can sell more. No hope things can turn around for it especially now that developers are switching to NX. Makes you wonder why Sony even tries? Smart move would be to pack it up in Japan and focus on the west but then again PC is taking over in the west.

Odd that a much talked about dead hardware manages to inch out just a little extra more sale each year

I'm gonna miss the little U when he is retired for NX

For the whole year it's not probably going to sell more than in 2013. In 2013 WiiU actually had pretty good holidays and I just don't see it repeat that.

After 40 weeks:
2014 = 461,349
2013 = 422,612

At the end of the year:
2014 = 618.150
2013 = 898.143

Still considering the starting position to this year it has definitely sold more than people expected.

noshten

I don't know about that, after all a lot of people got PS4 this week and I would have expected a larger adoption rate for MGS(maybe 20K or so).
In terms of digital sales aren't we getting the figures for September sometime soon?

Javin98

Banned
Damn, PS4 got a pretty good boost with the price drop. Hopefully it can stay above 20K for the next few weeks.

Kysen

Yep price cut hasn't done much, still expect ps4 to continue to bomb. Needs a game like splatoon so that it can sell more. No hope things can turn around for it especially now that developers are switching to NX. Makes you wonder why Sony even tries? Smart move would be to pack it up in Japan and focus on the west but then again PC is taking over in the west.

I hope this is sarcasm.

For the same reason MS tries so hard with the US, it doesn't look good to ignore your home turf.

It's kinda surprising that the PS4 version sold the best. Was kinda expecting the Vita version to take that spot, performance hyjinks nonwithstanding.

they only show how vita version looks like near launch iinm... that should be one of the reason lol

Mpl90

It's possible that the price cut helped the game in getting more sales on PS4 (the attractiveness of a brand new game releasing when the console's price goes down).

Also, going by the Archive, the original Picross 3D sold around 38k in its first week, so...that's a nice hold in a post-mobile revolution world.

duckroll

What happened to the PES franchise

First week sales for everything from PS2 to now. Famitsu numbers.

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 - 374,055

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 - 598,933

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 - 627,017

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 - 552,386

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 615,521

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 305,234
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 144,839

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 - 101,857
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 - 175,363

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 - 234,508

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 - 229,076

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 268,542

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 - 234,383

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 - 153,410

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 - 71,303
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 - 26,684

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2016 - 48,473
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2016 - 39,017

Yo-kai Watch is still at fad level at the moment. Of course anything is going to sell whereas Pokémon is still popular, but a new iteration of a fairly niche spin-off series of it will not do gangbusters.

You're also neglecting the fact that the last Dungeon game was released just before the huge holiday sales so that's why Gates held on a lot better.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is not "a fairly niche spin-off series" - it is actually the most successful and consistent spin-off Pokémon series of the past 15 years:

IiExoRT.png

Of course SMD might do well during holidays (already said that in past threads) but its hold is terrible for a Pokémon game and given the fact that there was Silver Week a couple of weeks ago.

Mpl90

Jumping the gun: the movie: the game: the post: the book: the fairytale.

JoeM86

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is not "a fairly niche spin-off series" - it is actually the most successful and consistent spin-off Pokémon series of the past 15 years:

IiExoRT.png

Of course SMD might do well during holidays (already said that in past threads) but its hold is terrible for a Pokémon game and given the fact that there was Silver Week a couple of weeks ago.

You mean the week it launched.

Also, again, Gates came out closer to Christmas and had the holiday boost instantly.

You're just looking at raw numbers, and not the context of the numbers, in order to prove your point somewhat.

It may not be doing as well as its predecessor, but it's not "bombing".

Top Bottom