• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't agree that a successful system in Japan is only when it sells 20m.

Also what i said about western/asia expand is relevant with the domestic sales, considering that they seem more than fine with these PS4 software/hardware sales. Otherwise we would have seen more multiplatform announcements. Of course i could be wrong, so let's wait and see.

That's what all the generation leaders with substantial software sales have done minimum for the past few generations.

Fisico

Massive drops for CS3 and FEW.

Well I guess you could say that, but at the same time these are pretty normal drop considering the games, in fact Cold Steel 3 has almost exactly the same drop %wise than the two previous entries in the subseries.

From there I don't think it will be too hard to guess what Cold Steel 3 LTD will end up around, seeing how CS1 and CS2 sales fared after release (MC CY numbers) they sold around ~70% of their LTD number FW.

That would give around ~125k for CS3, let's say 15k for digital (and that's being generous), and maybe a few extra k if there are late adopters or something (once again that's being generous) and it won't be able to crack 150k.

That's down from 220k for previous entries, with a split 125k/95k in favour of PSVita.

From there we can then deduce that somehow >70k didn't show up for CS3, there could be multiple reasons but the most obvious should be in term of importance (2&3 order is debatable though)
1) No portable entry (after a decade of being on PSP/PSV)
2) Some users just didn't upgrade from PS3 to PS4 nor owned a PSV
3) Franchise fatigue

I think It's fair to assume that almost every 95k PS3 buyers of CS2 showed up for CS3 minus a few thousands, so basically from the >70k lost the vast majority came from PSV buyers, so anywhere between half and two thirds of that audience just ... didn't show up.

And before someone just try to spin this into some kind of post of "doom & gloom" about Falcom, it's not.
They should be fine with these numbers but from an anlytical point of view there is no way to spin their platform strategy for this release into a success in term of sales, it's not a failure either, but it's an entry that will have a 30-35% drop from its previous entries, nothing more nothing less.
And no I didn't mean that they should have made a Switch SKU either.

giphy.gif

:p

Minsc

Gold Member
It's not ingenious. It's just business. 3DS is profitable and they can't make enlightened switches. Might as well sell some 3ds games and hardware.

The last batch of 3ds games have been remakes or updates. Nothing with long development cycled and high costs.

Would metroid and Pokemon be more exciting on Switch? Sure, but also more expensive and Switch is already sold out.

Gotta spread it out.

I don't know. If they can release games that look as bad as the Secret of Mana remake on the PS4, surely they can release similarly bad looking games on the Switch? And I don't think 3DS games simply running at higher resolution would look as bad as Secret of Mana does on the PS4 actually.

Then again I'm not sure what the odds of Mario x Rabbids outselling the Mario 3DS title this week are, so maybe it's not the platform at all, and just the game that is the reason for the 25k sales?

Laplasakos

That's what all the generation leaders with substantial software sales have done minimum for the past few generations.

So if a home console sells 15m (previously you made it seem like 5m is not a big gap) it would not be successful?

I think this is a weird statement considering that unless it's a portable, you can't expect 20m sales from today's market. The generation leaders you talk about got released in a ''different'' market, so i don't think simply comparisons are valid.

I wonder how much of an impact the lack of 3DS BC on switch has had on 3DS software. I imagine Nintendo and others likely expected more from their titles.

Maybe late transitions made more sense when the new systems still played the old games.
Probably not much.

We are talking about a 99 price (game included) entry into 3DS ecosystem. You are interested in a 3DS game you just buy the system.

Switch vs 3DS are two system that offer clearly different expereiences beyond visual differences.

I love how everyone kept saying how ingenious it was to put these games on 3DS' "giant userbase (right)" instead of the Switch.
Saw this one coming a mile away, seems like Metroid isn't setting the charts on fire either (globally).
This is the part you back up the claims with actual data. How many system performed better in Japan entering their 6 year?

I don’t think many were calling for Nintendo to cancel 3DS software outright, but I don’t see a simultaneous release being too much to ask for.
Samus Returns would’ve probably done super well on a slower release month on Switch.
They even did it with FEW on New 3DS

Is it worth it to take interest and sales out of a 3DS version?

There was a precedent of a Warrior Spin off going from home console to 3DS with Hyrule warriors. What this means is that developers already had the engine working for an easy 3DS version.

Does Mercury Steam could have their Samus Return's engine running on Switch by september 15? Do they have the resources to do that at that stage in time?

With that said there's nothing preventing an improves Samus Returns version hitting the Switch eventually. So it can have it's time to shine on the Switch with a bigger user base and without impacting 3DS sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So if a home console sells 15m (previously you made it seem like 5m is not a big gap) it would not be successful?

I think this is a weird statement considering that unless it's a portable, you can't expect 20m sales from today's market. The generation leaders you talk about got released in a ''different'' market, so i don't think all comparisons are valid.

As far as home consoles in Japan currently do sure it'd be considered a success ifthe Software sales back it up. In terms of the current and historical performance of the region I'd say it did alright. The wii ended up around that number it didn't drastically shift or change the market like the higher selling handhelds at the time is. You can't just the the domestics overall growth or health based on such performers is my point you have to look more towards the consoles that sell in the higher regions to make larger impact.

Fiendcode

5-10m is a pretty huge gap.

With japanese companies looking to expand their sales in Asia and west where the Playstation brand is stronger i doubt we will see any big changes.
Despite growth in region, Asia is still a drop in the bucket compared to Japan for consoles. And in the west Switch is selling incredibly well, and notably Japanese 3rd party games on it seem to be outperforming PS4 (Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris).

Sony’s weakness in Japan could definitely be an issue for them in the future versus a Japan dominating, globally successful Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Despite growth in region, Asia is still a drop in the bucket compared to Japan for consoles. And in the west Switch is selling incredibly well, and notably Japanese 3rd party games on it seem to be outperforming PS4 (Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris).

Sony’s weakness in Japan could definitely be an issue for them in the future versus a Japan dominating, globally successful Switch.

Nah this is an practically impossible scenario in terms of ever being a real problem for Sony. All you have to do is look at the Vita's support relative to the 3DS for the reality of the situation to hit.

L~A

11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 6.196 / 604.865 (-19%)

Finally, 600k on Switch alone. With Wii U, we're probably at 750k right now. Looks like 1 million could happen this year, for Switch + Wii U + digital, after all.

BOTW is a OoT tier Zelda game in terms of relative domestic and and worldwide popularity. Very few could have predicted it actually being so nut it's impact is unquestionable at this point/
Lol thats true ,although Twilight Princess sold much more than Ocarina lf Time but never reached 1 million in Japan

Is it worth it to take interest and sales out of a 3DS version?

There was a precedent of a Warrior Spin off going from home console to 3DS with Hyrule warriors. What this means is that developers already had the engine working for an easy 3DS version.

Does Mercury Steam could have their Samus Return's engine running on Switch by september 15? Do they have the resources to do that at that stage in time?

With that said there's nothing preventing an improves Samus Returns version hitting the Switch eventually. So it can have it's time to shine on the Switch with a bigger user base and without impacting 3DS sales.
With samus Returns specifically, Mercury Steam had made a similar game with an HD port in mind with MoF. Nintendo had paid for timed exclusivity keeping the port from coming sooner.
Even if it didn’t look like a high end Switch game, at 1080p 60fps i think people would’ve been happy

Laplasakos

Do you have any data for Asia? I don't (except the big growth with each year) so i am legit curious if it's really a drop in the bucket as you say.

All I read from that is that the Switch will be the biggest platform in Japan by the end of next year... not that the PS4 will be dead...

Nobody has tried to claim that the PS4 will be dead.

He said regarding PS4 that ''that thing is a wrap next year''. In what state do you he is implying it except from dead/finished?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
3DS destrpyed Vita in terms of 3rd party support?

In terms of profile of the releases yes in terms of actual raw number of release nope. They're far more comparable than their install base numbers would lead you to be believe. This is inspite of 3DS having comparable software ratio to the Vita at multiples times higher hardware.

Switch sales continuing to be bottlenecked by the supply. Geez, every time there's a major release now it just provides false hope for the sales actually holding up. At least the software is showing its legs.

Also, congrats to BOTW Switch for crossing the 600k mark.

Wamb0wneD

Switch sales continuing to be bottlenecked by the supply. Geez, every time there's a major release now it just provides false hope for the sales actually holding up. At least the software is showing its legs.

Also, congrats to BOTW Switch for crossing the 600k mark.

I mean holding back stock for a release like Odyssey makes sense no?

test_account

XP-39C²
He said regarding PS4 that ''that thing is a wrap next year''. In what state do you he is implying it except from dead/finished?
He probably mean in regards to who will sell the most hardware. The initial quote was just if Japan will be "Switch land". Both PS4 and Switch will continue to be relevant in Japan this generation.

L~A

Current DBX2 sales are due to the next shipments from the past couple of weeks + interest in current anime series.

18./17. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 4.126 / 176.959 (-19%)

Looks like it's still selling steadily. Should be at +250k by the end of the year.

Oh aye - I was suspicious of such being the tactic all the way back when ARMS' release was imminent. It's just slightly sad because it also caps the console's chances of catching up to the 3DS - which would just be astounding to see - before week 36 on kinda spoils any hope there.

Salvadora

Will we ever find out Zelda Wii U sales from Nintendo?

I thought I saw here that they are done listing Wii U games in financial reports.

What a poor week overall.

Switch had its lowest week in a couple months if I’m remembering correctly. Guess they are trying to save up some stock for Mario Odyssey.

Metroid drop saddens me. I know it’s not a particularly popular series in Japan but releasing it on 3DS only was a mistake. I get that they wanted to support the 3DS until the Switch is ready to carry them but, I can’t imagine an Switch port would have cost a lot of resources and I think the overall sales would have been much better. I may be wrong but I do believe there is enough of an audience for 2D Metroid to continue investing in the series. Just hope Nintendo views it that way.

Hope Fire Emblem Warriors does better in the West. I wonder if franchise fatigue is an issue. There have been quite a few Fire Emblem games released recently. Hopefully we will see sales pick up with DLC announcements.

FIFA Switch seems to have a decent hold, especially in comparison with everything else which is down this week.

Wamb0wneD

Oh aye - I was suspicious of such being the tactic all the way back when ARMS' release was imminent. It's just slightly sad because it also caps the console's chances of catching up to the 3DS - which would just be astounding to see - before week 36 on kinda spoils any hope there.

I think it's the wise thing to do while you can't produce enough consoles on a regular basis though. As soon they can meet demand it's not going to be an issue and then maybe 3DS numbers follow.

L~A

Will we ever find out Zelda Wii U sales from Nintendo?

I thought I saw here that they are done listing Wii U games in financial reports.

Unless it sells 1 million units worldwide this Fiscal Year, I doubt we'll ever get sales data for it. Maybe in the presentation to investors, but I doubt it.

With samus Returns specifically, Mercury Steam had made a similar game with an HD port in mind with MoF. Nintendo had paid for timed exclusivity keeping the port from coming sooner.
Even if it didn’t look like a high end Switch game, at 1080p 60fps i think people would’ve been happy
Then this further increases the chances you' ll get Samus Return on Switch eventually while 3DS sales are not affected. And higher chances that the version gets further improvements beyond res and frame rate since a good bulk of the work, according to what you said here, has been done.

It's encouraging to see a publisher doing the right calls regarding ports and versions of it's software instead of Capconing/Namcoing releases.

It's obvious Nintendo is holding back a little to prepare for Odyssey, this is a common trend with the Switch and happened with Splatoon 2 as well. But it's not to create artificial demand like some would think, its simply to have as successful a launch as they can with each huge title and be able to shift units to the proper regions for the after launch weeks.

Slow week all around. Switch SW sales help up pretty well considering how much the Hw dropped this week. At the moment it feels like te calm before the storm, waiting for Mario which will hopefully be the start of big numbers for the switch for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom