• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2012 (Oct 08 - Oct 14)

Bravely Default is the highest debut for a SE new IP in the last six years?
Longer even. You have to back to Radiata Stories in January 2005 to get a higher debut. And before that Kingdom Hearts in 2002, though I think a good argument can be made against any game starring Mickey Mouse being a "New IP" really.

watershed

Banned
Bravely Default did better than I expected! I remember talk on gaf about a lack of advertising but that's a great opening. Project X Zone did pretty well also. NSMB2 legs seem firmly established now and Style Savvy is going alright though its not a breakthrough hit.

I think the Vita has hit a new low, next week could be in the 5k range. Seems like just yesterday we thought it would hold at around 10k.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm pretty happy with Bravely Default's and Project X Zone's numbers.

Now for localization announcements.

Longer even. You have to back to Radiata Stories in January 2005 to get a higher debut. And before that Kingdom Hearts in 2002, though I think a good argument can be made against any game starring Mickey Mouse being a "New IP" really.

That should convince SE to produce more of these stuffs, or at least work better in terms of promotion.

Nekki

The debut has been great for BD, seeing as it had barely no advertising. I'm sure SE can be quite happy with it so far. It's clear a lot of effort went into making the game.

PxZ weaker than i expected, but not bad overall.

One thing i'm noticing lately is 3DS is selling a lot of software really well, but hardware is quite stable in the meantime. Not bad though, seeing as how there hasn't been a really major release for a while.

I wonder if we'll see BDFF become a franchise?

God knows Square Enix doesn't seem to have an enormous presence on 3DS going forward, so sequels with asset reuse might be a good bet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For comparison, here are Famitsu first weeks for Square Enix's non-DQ games on the DS (I'm including FF since it started imploding at the end of the cycle). I also excluded the anime tie-ins that sold like 10-20K LTD to spare them some embarrassment:

Final Fantasy:
Final Fantasy 3: 501,701
Final Fantasy 12: RW: 404,342
Final Fantasy 4: 308,794
FFCC: RoF: 206,439
FFTA2: 158,408
FFG: 4WoL: 119,634
FFCC: EoT: 101,989
FF Fables: CT: 29,065
C&C Mystery Dungeon: 27,770
Chocobo No English Title: 20,200

Other Established Brand:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2: 291,211
Chrono Trigger: 276,049
Itadaki Street: 140,560
Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded: 119,532
Children of Mana: 105,534
SaGa 2: 100,563
Valkyrie Profile: TAO: 73,779
SaGa 3: 30,322
Front Mission 2089: 20,476
Heroes of Mana: 20,219
Front Mission: 17,715
Lufia: 14,110

New IP:
TWEWY: 81,326
Blood of Bahamut: 31,506
Nanashi No Game: 30,816
Egg Monster Hero: 29,464
Sigma Harmonics: 24,619
Nanashi No Game: Eye: 10,320
Cross Treasures: 7,494

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Bravely Default did better than I expected! I remember talk on gaf about a lack of advertising but that's a great opening. Project X Zone did pretty well also. NSMB2 legs seem firmly established now and Style Savvy is going alright though its not a breakthrough hit.

I think the Vita has hit a new low, next week could be in the 5k range. Seems like just yesterday we thought it would hold at around 10k.

Who is we? But I have to admit, it seems like yesterday I was seriously worried that Nintendo could end up in this position, when Vita was announced to have the same price point as 3DS.

But as some people have already pointed out, there are new games coming for Vita, in popular series even, so I guess it's a given Vita will rise above 10k again.

vareon

I want to ask about Last Remnant, but then I remembered that Last Remnant didn't have a PS3 version. Whoa.

rouken

what game would save vita from the deep well its in right now?

i feel like there are great selling games that are releasing for 3ds every week but nothing for vita.

Takao

Banned

i feel like there are great selling games that are releasing for 3ds every week but nothing for vita.

Vita's fall lineup in Japan is pretty horrid. The western one's considerably better.

that's unfair, you have to compare ltd to ltd òó.

Not sure if serious.. why? That is the 3DS LL's LTD #744.117, and comparing that to Vita's YTD just shows how horrible the Vita is doing this year that it can be so easily bested.
maybe that was just a joke though....

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
For comparison, here are Famitsu first weeks for Square Enix's non-DQ games on the DS (I'm including FF since it started imploding at the end of the cycle). I also excluded the anime tie-ins that sold like 10-20K LTD to spare them some embarrassment:

Final Fantasy:
Final Fantasy 3: 501,701
Final Fantasy 12: RW: 404,342
Final Fantasy 4: 308,794
FFCC: RoF: 206,439
FFTA2: 158,408
FFG: 4WoL: 119,634
FFCC: EoT: 101,989
FF Fables: CT: 29,065
C&C Mystery Dungeon: 27,770
Chocobo No English Title: 20,200

Other Established Brand:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2: 291,211
Chrono Trigger: 276,049
Itadaki Street: 140,560
Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded: 119,532
Children of Mana: 105,534
SaGa 2: 100,563
Valkyrie Profile: TAO: 73,779
SaGa 3: 30,322
Front Mission 2089: 20,476
Heroes of Mana: 20,219
Front Mission: 17,715
Lufia: 14,110

New IP:
TWEWY: 81,326
Blood of Bahamut: 31,506
Nanashi No Game: 30,816
Egg Monster Hero: 29,464
Sigma Harmonics: 24,619
Nanashi No Game: Eye: 10,320
Cross Treasures: 7,494

This really puts it in persepctive. Bravely Default go!
If they make sequels I hope that they'll slowly remove the more FF elements to give it more of its own identity though. Though I haven't played it, much of its aspects still feels like FF veiled with a different skin. Or perhaps a new IP veiled with an FF skin might be more apt.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This really puts it in persepctive. Bravely Default go!
If they make sequels I hope that they'll slowly remove the more FF elements to give it more of its own identity though. Though I haven't played it, much of its aspects still feels like FF veiled with a different skin. Or perhaps a new IP veiled with an FF skin might be more apt.

Well, it was originally Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light 2, so I imagine some of that shows in the final product still.

Vinnk

Vita needs:

Monster Hunter vs. Final Fantasy vs. MIKU: AKB Fanservice Edition

Other than that.. I don't know what can "save" them.

tuffy

There's no single game from any known franchise that's going to save the Vita right now.

The best bet would be some new IP with mainstream appeal and a network effect that keeps people playing for a long period of time. But since no one has any idea of what that would be, the expectation is that the Vita will continue to get sales blips when occasional otaku games arrive and tank the rest of the time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
How is PXZ?

The gameplay isn't deep or anything. There's systems and stuff, but one plays the game for the cameos and silly "story". ;P
And boobs. It's like everyone grew a cup size or somethin'...

Define "considerably better" because honestly, there's nothing that will drive sales (in Japan or elsewhere)

Asassin's Creed Liberation, Black Ops Declassified, and Battle Royale is a MUCH better lineup that what is available in japan. Despite what you think those titles will do, Japan's lineup is so horrid it's not even worth the comparision.

Anyway I wonder if this will make Square seriously consider other projects for 3DS, or possibly even a sequel. I think in the end distancing themselves away from the FF brand did more good than harm.

Takao

Banned
Define "considerably better" because honestly, there's nothing that will drive sales (in Japan or elsewhere)

As in there are actually games coming out for it on a regular basis in the west right now. Comparatively, the 3DS has kind of done a flip flop. It has a fairly barren release schedule this fall in the west.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good numbers for BD:FF

Cross did better than I had expected too. Guess that 16 minute trailer really did get folks more interested in the game.

urfe

I'm still not sure if I'm going to pick up Bravely Default. I feel if I do, I should do so soon so I can get the most out of the Street Pass features. Glad to see it's doing so well. (Although calling a friend in battle made all my hard work seem in vain, as the "friend" took 9999 damage off the boss. I should probably check out the BD thread)

I feel the same way about Vita now as I did about PSP Go. I don't mind that it's doing bad, but I only hope it leads to me being able to get one cheap, and not for it to go scarce and expensive. I've all but decided to pick one up before I pick up a Wii U.

Lastly, I'm sure many have been talking about it for weeks, but I'm just noticing 3DS's approach to the PS3 in LTD. Crazy to think it could pass it early next year.

Asassin's Creed Liberation, Black Ops Declassified, and Battle Royale is a MUCH better lineup that what is available in japan. Despite what you think those titles will do, Japan's lineup is so horrid it's not even worth the comparision.
Yes but the question is that'll move units and increase sales. Do we have preorders numbers?

I'm still not sure if I'm going to pick up Bravely Default. I feel if I do, I should do so soon so I can get the most out of the Street Pass features. Glad to see it's doing so well. (Although calling a friend in battle made all my hard work seem in vain, as the "friend" took 9999 damage off the boss. I should probably check out the BD thread)

I feel the same way about Vita now as I did about PSP Go. I don't mind that it's doing bad, but I only hope it leads to me being able to get one cheap, and not for it to go scarce and expensive. I've all but decided to pick one up before I pick up a Wii U.

Lastly, I'm sure many have been talking about it for weeks, but I'm just noticing 3DS's approach to the PS3 in LTD. Crazy to think it could pass it early next year.

With the holidays there is a chance this year.

Foshy

Is Battle Royale not coming to Japan? I'd imagine it could sell decent numbers there.

Top Bottom