• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2012 (Oct 08 - Oct 14)

Fularu

Banned
Another case of Squeenix undershipping a DS family game...

I wonder how well the game would have made with a proper marketing push and strategy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the meanwhile, Bravely Default is at 8,400 Yen now on Amazon.jp.
And still third.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Word of mouth really does shift things one way or another with these games, Bravely Default is still selling and Zero no Kiseki Evolution is nowhere to be seen because apparently there are freezing issues with the game.

Bruno MB

Project X Zone will struggle to sell its first shipment unless it shows strong legs, something that I seriously doubt.

mclem

And if Sony and Microsoft have the PS4 and 720 retailing for more than 400 dollars/pounds you'll see those two consoles struggling out of the gate too, no matter what hardware is under the hood.

I do wonder if Microsoft are considering making a powerful machine and then selling it at a *massive* loss. They've probably got the leeway to do so, and that'd be a very interesting wrinkle in the pricing strategy.

Not that it'd make much of a difference in Japan, of course.

I do wonder if Microsoft are considering making a powerful machine and then selling it at a *massive* loss. They've probably got the leeway to do so, and that'd be a very interesting wrinkle in the pricing strategy.

Not that it'd make much of a difference in Japan, of course.

Isn't the gossip currently about MS looking to produce a high-end media/gaming box and sell it (at least alternatively) on contract?

Isn't the gossip currently about MS looking to produce a high-end media/gaming box and sell it (at least alternatively) on contract?

Its heavily speculated but there's be little to nothing official to suggest that's gonna happen, I really see that being the biggest backfire in history if that happens

Its heavily speculated but there's be little to nothing official to suggest that's gonna happen, I really see that being the biggest backfire in history if that happens

I just can't see it, certainly not for me. I don't want another contract where I'm tied down for 2 years or more, and then possibly paying other subscription fees (Live? Other services?) on top. I know that more people have become accustomed to contracts for things like mobiles etc. but a games console on contract just seems like overreach (and surely anyone willing to pay £10-£20 a month would just go the HP route anyway?).

Beside a main price though. Ofc they could include Live in such a contract but personally I don't think the public are blind to what a credit option is; they won't be able to sell it at a huge amount over competitors consoles - even if its spread out.

MS is a bit shambolic atm (see Windows 8, on all platforms is been a terrible managed launch) - I'd expect something $300-$350. Unless they really think Live is enough to hold onto old customers at a high price and steal those who went to Playstation for the first party power.

Sony by far need a mid-tier console though. Nintendo's pad has high costs to it; they can compete with them price wise even if their concentrating on power.

EDIT: A contract is always more expensive than paying up front as it is a credit option; am not sure how its really 'beneficial' to the customer; and such a strategy could easily be copied by the competition; even by individual retailers on different products.

I just can't see it, certainly not for me. I don't want another contract where I'm tied down for 2 years or more, and then possibly paying other subscription fees (Live? Other services?) on top. I know that more people have become accustomed to contracts for things like mobiles etc. but a games console on contract just seems like overreach (and surely anyone willing to pay £10-£20 a month would just go the HP route anyway?).

And that's exactly why it won't work, people generally are already shelling out a small fortune every month for contracts for other things most really don't need and many probably can't afford yet another contract

iceatcs

it might profit but very slow. It likely will have massive loss at it first year. Maybe break record.. I dunno MS will cope it at the one day. I can see latter gen but not at the frist day.

Unless 3rd party contract might be the way to go. They pay full price and get money back from contract.

Word of mouth really does shift things one way or another with these games, Bravely Default is still selling and Zero no Kiseki Evolution is nowhere to be seen because apparently there are freezing issues with the game.

I was just about to comment on this myself. Apparently this week's major Vita release, Zero no Kiseki Evo, has fairly serious crashing issues and the release in general sounds like a complete disaster:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462502&page=4

1. chara-ani ordering (I wanted the gentei version) was horrible compared to modern sites. I had to pay for the whole thing upfront (over $100) and then it was delayed. I also moved in that time, and when I contacted them, they told me it was impossible to change the shipping address. What the hell? So, it is sitting at the inlaws, but what if I had moved from another address?

2. They (kadokawa/chara-ani) are supposedly cracking down on YouTube/etc videos of the game, which are completely prohibited. Falcom themselves will even go as far as to tweet about people's "lets play"s of their games on YouTube, but not these guys.

3. No instruction manual. When people complained/asked about it, kadokawa/chara-ani didn't seem to 'get it'-- they just said "don't worry, everyone, there is a digital manual on the game itself."

4. The freezing issues, of which there has not yet been any official response or acknowledgement from kadokawa/chara-ani. They keep saying "if you have any questions or issues please contact the support center whose information is listed on page so-and-so of the digital instruction manual." They won't even give out the support contact info directly -- just telling people to check the digital manual.

The game is getting eviscerated on Amazon reviews and elsewhere right now. It's going to end up being a disaster for Falcom, which is really sad because they weren't even that involved with this port of ZnK. I would expect really low sales on the chart this coming Wednesday, possibly in the sub-10k range.

Road

Dengeki Sales: Oct 08 - Oct 14, 2012 (Week 41)

01. (__) [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix) - 140,241 / 140,241 [ST: ~80% => 175,000]
02. (01) [PS3] Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) - 103,656 / 739,505 (-84%)
03. (__) [3DS] Project X Zone (Bandai Namco) - 77,950 / 77,950 [ST: ~50% => 156,000]
04. (02) [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Konami) - 50,667 / 277,125 (-78%)
05. (__) [PS3] Tokitowa (Bandai Namco) - 29,347 / 29,347
06. (07) [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 28,617 / 1,257,257 (-1%)
07. (05) [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Nintendo) - 23,267 / 125,523 (-27%)
08. (__) [PSP] Diabolik Lovers (Idea Factory) - 20,029 / 20,029
09. (10) [3DS] Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-tachi kara Nigekire! (Bandai Namco) - 17,120 / 183,474 (+42%)
10. (06) [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (Bandai Namco) - 12,042 / 251,780 (-60%)
11. (04) [PSP] Sol Trigger (Imageepoch) - 10,881 / 53,242 (-74%)
12. (__) [PS3] Rocksmith (Ubisoft) - 10,850 / 10,850
13. (03) [PSP] Summon Night 3 (Bandai Namco) - 10,788 / 57,633 (-77%)
14. (__) [PS3] Dishonored (Bethesda) - 10,238 / 10,238
15. (12) [3DS] Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone (Nintendo) - 8,450 / 94,873 (-26%)
16. (15) [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon to Fushigina Orb (Bandai Namco) - 6,122 / 239,434 (-9%)
17. (14) [NDS] Pokémon Black Version 2 (Pokemon Co.) - 5,906 / 1,496,559 (-13%)
18. (09) [PS3] Dead or Alive 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 5,113 / 76,132 (-61%)
19. (13) [PSP] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 4,932 / 78,837 (-40%)
20. (18) [NDS] Pokémon White Version 2 (Pokemon Co.) - 4,761 / 1,315,597 (-17%)

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):

2012-05-24 [PS3] Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) - 292,000 / 453,000

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/547/547119/
http://news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html (backup)

Dengeki Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

Previous Dengeki Posts (Thanks Cap. Smoker!)
2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012

Road

This brings up a good question though: where did they get the numbers for 360 Dishonored sales?

Amazon does not give out sales numbers, so unless that policy somehow changed it would be downright impossible to determine the number of copies that sold, other than banned site-style guesswork out of the ass. Really makes you question the credibility of some of the lower-selling titles, and whether they've been getting similar treatment.

MC does not have it in their top 50 (so they have it lower than 4k or don't have it at all).

Maybe Famitsu has managed some exclusive information for this game. I guess we'll never know.

Visually, certainly. But dat theme song, lol.

I like Dangan and B'z in general. :(

Takao said:
Persona 3: Golden to launch alongside the movie obviously

We joke but I think Atlus is wise enough to not try and exploit P3 without at least putting out a new Persona game. The movie, I think, is going to be the vehicle they use to properly announce P5. Like a trailer at the end or something.

Marvelous AQL reported 620 million yen ($7.82 million) of net profit for the company’s second quarter. That’s an upward revision of 106.7% more profit than they expected.

Strong sales of Rune Factory 4 and Senran Kagura: Burst were the reason for the jump. Marvelous AQL said initial orders exceeded expectations and repeat orders have been favorable. Pokémon Tretta, an arcade machine made in partnership with Nintendo, has been doing well so far too.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/1...ks-to-rune-factory-4-and-senran-kagura-burst/

Project X Zone sold 85,539 copies in its first week, and Media Create report a 57.55% sell-through for the game. Furthermore, 70% of the game’s first-week sales came from pre-orders, which means Project X Zone didn’t sell a whole lot beyond its existing fanbase.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/bravely-default-sees-85-sell-through-project-x-zone-only-57/

PXZ bomba. God bless its second week.

I'm not familiar with the details of the game: does it use licensed tracks? If so, did this release if Rocksmith localize any of the songs like how Just Dance did? Rock Band Japan is pretty high on the list of unrealized vaporware this gen.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any localized Content/DLC for Japan. I'd love to see Boris in there. Then again I'd be pissed I wouldn't be able to play it!

test_account

XP-39C²
Project X Zone is a SRPG? I didnt know that before today. I never looked into the game that much, but i always thought it was a fighting game mashup like Marvel VS Capcom and Smash Bros. A fighting game with many characters from different franchises.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity am I using the Garaph hardware family from launch comparison tool correctly?

dsintermsof3ds_10jlbq.png

As we enter and holiday and move into the launch of Monster Hunter 4 (and possible in the Fall, Pokemon Gen 6), I wanted to see how close the 3DS gets to catching the DS, since given how dead the Vita is and the fact that we will only have one next-gen console for the next year, it's probably the most interesting sales-age race in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First day sellthrough

FIFA 13 - PS3 >50%, bigger sales than PS3 FIFA 12, PS3>>>PSV
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution [Limited Edition] - 50%
Little Battlers eXperience W - 30%

Foshy

First day sellthrough

FIFA 13 - PS3 >50%, bigger sales than PS3 FIFA 12, PS3>>>PSV
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution [Limited Edition] - 50%
Little Battlers eXperience W - 30%

What were FIFA 12 numbers? Would be funny to see FIFA overtaking PES in Japan too.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
What were FIFA 12 numbers? Would be funny to see FIFA overtaking PES in Japan too.

FIFA 12: 35,730 (22,470)
Winning Eleven 2012: 479,473 (268,542)
Winning Eleven 2013: 285,271 (234,383)

squall23

Does anyone know the artist of PXZ? I am curious to know of what he or she did previously.
I don't understand your question. PxZ is full of characters from different games with different character designers. Unless you're talking about the game's originals.
All these social features of BD:FF and it being a good game should give it some good legs. I hope it breaks out like IE did back then.
Wait, how did you compare BD to IE? IE had a successful anime to back it up.

Erethian

Wait, how did you compare BD to IE? IE had a successful anime to back it up.

I think he means more in terms of the game having longer sales legs than usual for an RPG, rather than it following the exact same sales pattern of the first Inazuma Eleven. Especially because the first week to LTD sales ratio for that game was kind of crazy for an RPG, even one with a media tie-in.

Top Bottom