• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2012 (Oct 08 - Oct 14)

squall23

How would I go about finding 1st week sales of some old games? I know of the media create archives but does GAF keep any of the other weeks? Or is there a different way for me to look them up?

EDIT: nvm, I'm blind.

Out of curiosity am I using the Garaph hardware family from launch comparison tool correctly?

dsintermsof3ds_10jlbq.png

As we enter and holiday and move into the launch of Monster Hunter 4 (and possible in the Fall, Pokemon Gen 6), I wanted to see how close the 3DS gets to catching the DS, since given how dead the Vita is and the fact that we will only have one next-gen console for the next year, it's probably the most interesting sales-age race in Japan.
I wonder 'what' is 3DS racing against though

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder 'what' is 3DS racing against though

At this point I think it's the DS Lite, but in the future I was actually going to dig in and find out while writing up an analysis.

I did some quick checks and it seems to have already beat every other platform on a launch aligned basis unless I'm forgetting something.

Looks good to me based on the HF (Hardware Famly) and the fact MC would have all the hardware data for those two.

Thanks.

sphinx

the piano man
Seems like most or all of the stores in Akiba are sold out of Bravely Default, despite the second shipment last week. It's also sold out on Amazon, as Sammy said. Next shipment for Amazon is on the 28th.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/6692385.html
http://tinyurl.com/8go8x9k

two things.

1.- Hobby, thanks for all your updates, you are the best addition to this thread in years.

2.- Silly, I guess... but can Bravely Default catch fire in pure PSP Monster Hunter style in Japan and turn into the 3rd party killer app for 3DS out of nowhere? I guess all these sellouts are because SE was cautious with the shipments but.. don't know, is it in the realm of possible?

2.- Silly, I guess... but can Bravely Default catch fire in pure PSP Monster Hunter style in Japan and turn into the 3rd party killer app for 3DS out of nowhere? I guess all these sellouts are because SE was cautious with the shipments but.. don't know, is it in the realm of possible?

No way. Publishers/retailers understanding demand happens all the time. It doesn't mean anything, except that a game is doing better than expected. And BD is certainly not the type of game that has that "killer app" appeal.
It's still very encouraging to see BD doing so well, though.

zroid

Banned
BDFF isn't on the eshop, is it?

Unfortunately no. It'll be a while before we start seeing third parties embrace eShop/retail dual releases, but at least Disney's getting their foot in the door early with Epic Mickey. Hopefully it'll do well for them.

Erethian

BDFF isn't on the eshop, is it?

No.

Also despite mention of stores selling out of stock it's hard to know how widespread that is, and therefore whether sales will be undercut to a statistically significant degree. Certainly the first week sell-through wasn't so high that you would have seen most stores running out of stock.

Elfteiroh

If it can climb past 600k, I would be the first one to throw a party at my place.
Yeah! But who would be the second one to throw a party at your place?

No way. Publishers/retailers understanding demand happens all the time. It doesn't mean anything, except that a game is doing better than expected. And BD is certainly not the type of game that has that "killer app" appeal.
It's still very encouraging to see BD doing so well, though.

Understanding? I don't think they understood the demand that well if it's constantly undershipped. ;)
More seriously, I'm really happy it sells well, it have that "Good Final Fantasy Game" vibe, like the old ones. I find it silly that it took a new IP for us to get a new "good" FF game.

Alrus

No.

Also despite mention of stores selling out of stock it's hard to know how widespread that is, and therefore whether sales will be undercut to a statistically significant degree. Certainly the first week sell-through wasn't so high that you would have seen most stores running out of stock.

What's the typical first week sell through for a RPG?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No.

But didn't Bravely Default had a 85% first week sell-through? That's really high, no?

No because it's not focused on a feature that helped Monster Hunter (as well as Inazuma Eleven, Pokémon, etc.): local multiplayer. But still, it's a very good result for Square Enix.

Erethian

But didn't Bravely Default had a 85% first week sell-through? That's really high, no?

It's high, but if a game is encountering nationwide stock problems its sell-through is usually around 95%.

Anyway I'm not saying there couldn't be an issue of sell-outs and stock shortages, just that we don't have enough information to indicate it's more than an isolated problem.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
No.

But there was an 80 to 85% of stock sold, that means only about 25k were left on the shelves all over japan for this past week.

1.- Hobby, thanks for all your updates, you are the best addition to this thread board in years.
Fixed.

No way, I'd say 300k for BD is almost impossible.

MH =
Amazington
social multiplayer game.
BD = Just a great, classic RPG from SE.

beril

No way. But if legs are good and Square Enix ships properly, I can see it passing the 300k mark. Funny since many people predicted a LTD of about 100k, lol.

300k wouldn't really be considered good legs. A new quality IP should easily be able to double its first week sales. I think it should be realistic to hope for 400-500k

Hobby

More impressions from various shops regarding this week's sales.

Store 1
- Zero no Kiseki sold 13 copies, going at about the same rate Ys Celceta did.
- Little Battlers W sold 9 copies on PSP, 3 on Vita. Both are sold out. Vita version was popular with adults, PSP version was popular with both adults and children.
- FIFA 13 6 copies on PS3, 3 on Xbox 360. Seems like it's lost some steam since FIFA 12.
- No other new games sold.

Store 2
- FIFA 13 sold the most today.
- PSP version of Little Battlers W is outselling the Vita version.
- Nothing else sold.

Store 3
- FIFA 13 was the most popular. Several copies of the PSP and PS3 version sold, 1 copy on Vita, and we had no shipment for the Xbox 360 version.
- Next was Zero no Kiseki. Just seems like it kind of sold.
- Nothing else sold.

Store 4
- Little Battlers W PSP version didn't sell any copies, Vita version is sold out.
- PS3 version of FIFA 13 sold out.
- 1 copy left of Zero no Kiseki, the rest sold.

Store 5
- FIFA 13 sold out before noon.
- Shiren 4 Plus and Zero no Kiseki both sold out, but only had 1 copy of each.

Chain of stores
- FIFA 13 80% sellthrough.
- Little Battlers W sales are bad. Had the largest shipment number, but only 2 copies sold across all stores.

Store 6
- Out of all the new games this week, Little Battlers W PSP version sold the best by a fair bit. Mostly kids coming in after school to buy it with friends.

Store 7
- FIFA 13 over 50% sellthrough, doing better than FIFA 12. In terms of copies sold PS3 >>> Vita > PSP.
- Zero no Kiseki limited edition around 50% sellthrough, regular edition is... yeah.
- Little Battlers W around 30% sellthrough, both versions selling here and there.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/6692603.html

AniHawk

This is really good news for people who want more SE games on the 3DS.

or more original games from them at all, god damn.

i really hope they don't decide to make one awful final fantasy universe next gen and just keep it there for the entire generation.

vareon

or more original games from them at all, god damn.

i really hope they don't decide to make one awful final fantasy universe next gen and just keep it there for the entire generation.

I do hope the (relative) success of BD and (relative) bomb of Kingdom Hearts 3D encouraged them to try something new. But then again I'll accept anything good from them.

disco

I do hope the (relative) success of BD and (relative) bomb of Kingdom Hearts 3D encouraged them to try something new. But then again I'll accept anything good from them.

I hope they announce something forthcoming for the 3DS soon! Capcom and Level 5 have already revealed their 3DS lineup for early next year. Just waiting on you S-E. Announce that DQ7 remake! :3

vareon

Wait, they didn't have anything more announced? What's their upcoming games? I can only recall Lightning Returns, Versus XIII, Dragon Quest X Wii U, and FFXIV A Realm Reborn. I can't remember the name of one of those high-profile iOS/Android games.

disco

Wait, they didn't have anything more announced? What's their upcoming games? I can only recall Lightning Returns, Versus XIII, Dragon Quest X Wii U, and FFXIV A Realm Reborn. I can't remember the name of one of those high-profile iOS/Android games.

I don't know anything about their iOS output but I know all they have left for the 3DS is a port of the arcade game Gyrozetter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I may be missing quite a few phone games.

Fully announced titles:

Square Enix Japan:
-Final Fantasy X|V: A Realm Reborn™
-Final Fantasy: Lightning Returns
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-Gyrozetter
-That UE3 Vampire Game
-Dragon Quest X Wii U Port
-Final Fantasy X PS3/Vita Port
-Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix (PS3 port)
-Emperor's SaGa (social phone game)
-Kingdom Hearts Browser Game
-Final Fantasy Legends World (browser game)
-There was some kind of baseball browser game.
-Did Million Card Arthur come out? That's a social phone game.
-Galaxy Dungeon (phone game)

Eidos:
-Tomb Raider
-Hitman: Absolution
-Thi4f
-GameGlobe (browser game)
-Championship Manager: World of Football (browser game, seemingly dead)

Not fully announced, but found in job postings and other official statements:

Square Enix:
-Nothing as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eidos:
-Crystal Dynamics New IP
-IO Interactive New IP (it's a co-op third person shooter that presumably is replacing Kane & Lynch)
-A new Hitman game by Square Enix Montreal
-A game in partnership with Avalanche (Just Cause 3)
-A stealth RPG from Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex 4)
-Eidos Montreal's New IP

Unfortunately no. It'll be a while before we start seeing third parties embrace eShop/retail dual releases, but at least Disney's getting their foot in the door early with Epic Mickey. Hopefully it'll do well for them.

AKB48+Me will/is be on the eshop, too. First 3rd party game in Japan, iirc.

I hope they announce something forthcoming for the 3DS soon! Capcom and Level 5 have already revealed their 3DS lineup for early next year. Just waiting on you S-E. Announce that DQ7 remake! :3

I know Level-5 has Youkai Watch, but what does Capcom have?

EDIT: Never mind, forgot about Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Layton.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently there's an image of the Kingdom Hearts browser game out.

It actually looks pretty cool and high effort. I wonder if it would have been a handheld game in the GBA/DS era given Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memory.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speaking of the eShop, out of curiosity, did Nintendo ever clarify when they're intending to share digital sales figures?

Or was that them sharing to third parties as opposed to everyone?

vareon

huge helpful list

Thank you very much.

I'd like to add that their current social games still have some developers operating them (FF Brigade has a team of 40 operators), but I don't know if that counts as their development resources.

disco

Speaking of the eShop, out of curiosity, did Nintendo ever clarify when they're intending to share digital sales figures?

Or was that them sharing to third parties as opposed to everyone?

Didn't Iwata mention a % number of NSMB2 sales in a report with Nikkei or some other professional news outlet a while back?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thank you very much.

I'd like to add that their current social games still have some developers operating them (FF Brigade has a team of 40 operators), but I don't know if that counts as their development resources.

That's a great question. I imagine it is probably a mix.

But yeah, that's one thing that does tend to get overlooked. As we switch to a games as a service model, that means there is a lot of staff tied up on games that have already launched making new content.

I imagine Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV will continue to eat up a lot of resources, even if it's not as much as when they were in primarily development.

Final Fantasy XIV especially since that will likely have notable expansion packs. I'm not quite sure what Dragon Quest X's model is on that front.

Didn't Iwata mention a % number of NSMB2 sales in a report with Nikkei or some other professional news outlet a while back?

Yeah, but I was wondering if they were intending to do that on an ongoing basis or if I totally misunderstood their intent.

disco

Yeah, but I was wondering if they were intending to do that on an ongoing basis or if I totally misunderstood their intent.

I don't think anyone really knew exactly what Iwata meant when he said those figures would be made public. :( I was expecting full blown pie charts and graphs ready for dissemination and analysis... GAF has spoiled me. :p

Nintendo's Q2 financial results will be released in just two days. Maybe we'll hear something then. *shrugs*

Considering this is the first release since they started eshop sales, I expect them to form a portion of the results. If sales are good, Nintendo will want to especially highlight them to show investors it's a worthwhile venture.

Top Bottom